Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Shards
    Shards  3 months ago

Happy New Year!

• Edrick
    Edrick  3 months ago

Happy New Year all!

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

You the man thanks mate

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

There it is!

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

-Clickedy-

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

Anyone have the thain discord link, thankyou

• Payne
    Payne  5 months ago

Edrick... mad

• Edrick
    Edrick  5 months ago

Payne

• !ofAkindGuy2000
    !ofAkindGuy2000  5 months ago

Thanks.

• Glognar
    Glognar  5 months ago

There is! You need to examine the omnidye to find the info. I also think that there is still an error though in one of the numbers.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Other Games

[moved] [poll] NWN2 & Thain's Future

1 2 3 4 
LAN_402 LAN_403
kalniel
11:36:09 am GMT 08/20/05
kalniel Registered Member #5 Joined: 6:48:49 pm GMT 02/16/04
Yeah, NWN2 will be good for PWs (far more so than NWN1).

As for KOTOR2/NWN2 comparisons.. I think they learned a lot from KOTOR2. NWN2 has more dev time and resources, and I think they'll do a good job (for a longer version of that, look at my 'essay' on the bioboards tongue)

But back to the topic, it makes sense with a limited dev team/budget to go for windows PC first - you get the best market penetration-per unit of funding than other desktop markets (consoles are even better though). Plus you've also got the chance of windows emulators etc for the new mac.

On the new mac though.. you'll be running an intel chip, you'll be running a graphics card with directX9 compliance.. all you need is the OS hook through directx9... so if such a thing (directX) were to come out for the mac OS it'd be possible.
Taniki
11:42:11 am GMT 08/20/05
Taniki Registered Member #292 Joined: 4:48:48 am GMT 10/04/04
How very odd, you would think with the amount of people using macs the market would be more friendly to them.

I say well done for mac to hold in there for so long.

A question for a Research & Development Team: Will the NWN 2 module, reflect the NWN 1 module or have a series of ties to it?

Or are we going to be left in secracy?
Fergoose
12:38:08 pm GMT 08/20/05
Fergoose Registered Member #40 Joined: 1:00:06 am GMT 02/28/04
Here is the Obsidian position on the matter (feel free to bump a thread on making melee combat a bit less reptitive there too tongue ) . I don't think Rhomal is the guy to be getting peeved at. -Clickedy- It also includes the link to the Atari boards which is: -Clickedy- This is the thread for Linux & Mac users to voice their displeasure. Like any company, Atari will listen if they sense an opportunity to make more money. Initial impressions seem to suggest that Bioware is focussing more on the single player for Dragon Age (although whether this will be at the expense of multiplayer I know not). [ Edited 01:38:53 PM 08/20/05 ]
DizzyJ
4:42:26 pm GMT 08/20/05
DizzyJ Registered Member #399 Joined: 5:30:18 am GMT 01/11/05
Beorn, certainly, the aesthetics of the Mac are part of its appeal, but that's just the start. I like the look of the Mac OS much better than windows--and so does Microsoft. Look at how closely whatever they're calling Longhorn mimics the look and feel of OS X.

A big part of the appeal is that things just work. Some people like to customize everything, tweak all of their driver settings. You can do that on a Mac, but you don't have to. It is as close to a plug-and-play experience as you can get on a computer. I laugh a bit when I hear what increadible measures PC users have to go through just to prevent their machines from being overrun by virii. Yes, expert users can avoid them, but I'd much rather invest my expertise in applications than securing my operating system.

Finally, for me, as someone who works extensively on both platforms, I find OS X to be a far more efficient platform than any Windows varient. I am able to get more work done in the same amount of time. Part of this is surely familiarity, but part of it is that Apple puts huge amounts of effort into making the Mac OS, and all Apple products, easy to use. While the biggest beneficiaries of ease-of-use are newbies, professionals usually benefit by a more streamlined, intuitive workflow.

All that said, a PC is a better gaming machine right now. You're wrong about the price/performance differential (the G5 is a great processor and games optimized for it do well on the Mac), but PCs have more games and ported games aren't always ported well. If gaming is your lifeblood, the PC is the obvious choice. If you work in my field (graphic design), you need to be very cautious about choosing a PC over a Mac.
NotDilinus
5:43:31 pm GMT 08/20/05
NotDilinus Registered Member #583 Joined: 10:20:59 pm GMT 07/25/05
MadskillsMike wrote ...
From my very limited understanding of such matters, I assume a 3d party company would require too much payment for the job for it to be profitable. Just guessing based on what seems most logical here.

Require payment from whom?
I am speaking of Atari simply giving a nod and the existing engine/code to a reputable 3rd party who desires to do the port. Again, what would Atari stand to lose if they allowed a 3rd party to develop the port?
Danner
5:49:28 pm GMT 08/20/05
Danner Registered Member #153 Joined: 4:47:39 pm GMT 06/21/04
I'm rather annoyed by the non-linux support of the upcoming nwn2. I could write a long post venting my frustrations. I guess I'll spare you.

Thain for NWN2? I can certainly see that happening, in time. NWN2 is a year away, and after that it'll take even longer to build a workable Thain v 2.0 . So for the moment, why not focus on keeping Thain the way we love it? smile
Bonesly
5:52:38 pm GMT 08/20/05
Bonesly Always Preceding Miggen
Registered Member #136 Joined: 4:31:27 am GMT 06/13/04
Payment from Atari/Obsidian of course. What "reputable" 3rd party is going to do the port for free? Any cost incurred is going to be weighed against the potential return on investment... if they think that Mac/Linux users are a small enough minority that it outweights the ROI, then it's not going to happen (which may be the wrong choice in the long run, but you'd be surprised what stupid decision are made at the top when the brass doesn't listen to their own user support staff or the mid-levels twerps have an agenda to push forward).
NotDilinus
5:52:38 pm GMT 08/20/05
DizzyJ wrote ...
A chance to play a game that throws out the many annoying things left in DnD from way back when Gary Gygaxx invented RPGs would be great.

HERESY!

((makes a mental note to have Dilinus be non-so-nice to Dizzy))
MadskillsMike
6:06:31 pm GMT 08/20/05
MadskillsMike capesh*t, bro
Registered Member #143 Joined: 7:06:07 pm GMT 06/17/04
NotDilinus wrote ...
MadskillsMike wrote ...
From my very limited understanding of such matters, I assume a 3d party company would require too much payment for the job for it to be profitable. Just guessing based on what seems most logical here.
Require payment from whom? I am speaking of Atari simply giving a nod and the existing engine/code to a reputable 3rd party who desires to do the port. Again, what would Atari stand to lose if they allowed a 3rd party to develop the port?
Like I said I don't know much about the industry as such. My thought was that it would work like this: Atari contracts a company for porting it Atati pays the company for their work. Atari sells the ported product. Danner: You can just dual-boot Windows and BSD/Linux if you want to play the game, right? I don't see the problem for Linux users. It's worse for mac users where hardware and OS are kind of tied together. [ Edited 07:10:26 PM 08/20/05 ]
NotDilinus
6:07:02 pm GMT 08/20/05
Fergoose wrote ...
Here is the Obsidian position on the matter (feel free to bump a thread on making melee combat a bit less reptitive there too tongue ) . I don't think Rhomal is the guy to be getting peeved at.

Rhomal is an arrogant prick of a moderator who gives me the impression that he couldn't hack it on the SA forums and takes it out on those who post on the Obsidian/Bioware forums and use mac/linux. His distain for the mac/linux folks is blatant, which would be easily seen had they not simply chosen to delete the whole thread open for discussion of the merits of a mac/linux port.

I poop you not, Rhomal has been EXTREMELY open with resentment and flat out abuse towards mac/linux posters, calling us beggers and whiners at every chance.

Rhomal represents Obsidian who represents Bioware in the NWN2 venture. My hatred of that SOB runs deep. mad
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 49
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: niv
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
1. Saoirse Nic Conmara
2. Izzy
3. Seth Galanderos
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org