Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Technical Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The Unofficial Thain Override Pack

1 2 3 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Falkala
2:19:23 am GMT 07/01/16
Falkala Forum Admin
Registered Member #623 Joined: 6:43:48 am GMT 10/01/05
(Current version is 1.04)

Hi Thainsters,

I've been working on a compiled override pack for Thain for a bit, after getting a lot of interest in the overrides I use personally. I've got it here for you to download if it's your style! Please note that like all overrides, I cannot guarantee it'll work on your system setup. This is also a very large override and may slow down older computers as it replaces many of NWNs textures with much higher resolution ones, as well as many models with higher polygon versions. That said, most modern or semi modern computers won't have trouble at all.

My goal with this pack:
To give NWN a facelift without using anything that 'adds' onto tilesets or other objects. I have sought out model replacements that closely match the original. This means you won't install the override and suddenly feel like you're looking at a different character. Nothing here fundamentally changes Thain, or any other module you play on.

How to Install the Pack

1) Download the pack from here: Click me!. Huge thanks to Archgrendel for kindly hosting the pack! The file is 220MB.

2) Locate your NWN folder on your system. It is usually located in the My Documents folder under Neverwinter Nights

3) Inside that folder there will be tons of other folders (module, localvault, data, etc). There should be a folder named Override. If there isn't, feel free to make one.

3B) Many of you already have overrides, I highly recommendbacking up your current folder before throwing this one in.

4) Open the zip file from my dropbox and you will see inside is a folder named 'Override'. You want to move the contents of that folder into the override folder in your NWN directory.

5) That's it, you're done! To uninstall, simply delete the Override folder or the files within you wish to no longer use.

Common Troubleshooting

But Falkala, I only want some of what's in the pack!
Fear not, I added a complete list at the bottom of this post of the overrides used! Mix and match to your hearts desire.

It broke my game!
Delete your override folder. Try installing again. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm not an expert frown

I like my overrides, will they work with this one?
... Maybe? I suggest installing this one, and then yours overtop.

I found a bug!
Since I didn't make these overrides, I can't troubleshoot too many bugs, but please post them anyway. I like to keep them compiled. There is a short list of bugs I know of at the bottom.

Here are some screenshots of the pack.

[ image disabled ]
[ image disabled ]
[ image disabled ]

Here's the included Overrides:

wrote ...

Tilesets

NWNCQ -Clickedy-

Complete Tileset replacer.

Toro's Rural Override -Clickedy-

NWNCQ's Rural is a bit bright and has a strange mix of trees, this helps keep Thain's atmosphere a little better.

Bioware Rural Trees: -Clickedy-

High poly trees.

Weapons/Armor

Improved Tower Shields: -Clickedy-

Does what it says on the box, high poly models for tower shields!

The Reforged Weapons Packs: -Clickedy-

I have all 7 of the Reforged weapons packs in there.

Models

Hands -Clickedy-

One of the oldest overrides, this replaces the strange meat-blobs with actual hands. With fingers.

Creature Override Pack: -Clickedy-

Lots of creatures get new, or higher poly models.

Reworked Elven Heads for HOTU: -Clickedy-

This is an oldie, but a good one.

Tessellated Original Head Models: -Clickedy-

Some higher poly head models for NWN.

Female Dress (Robe) Update.
-Clickedy-

This makes the fancy dress model for females less hunchbacked and overall much nicer.

Improved Imps
-Clickedy-

Especially nice for wizard familiars, this one changes the imp models.

New Skull Helmet
-Clickedy-

This makes the skull helmet look a little more menacing.

Misc Models
The deer from Project Q
The Bears from Project Q

New Weapons VFX
-Clickedy-

This changes (some) weapon VFX to be a little nicer. A well known bug in this override has been patched.

GUI

Immunity Icons
-Clickedy-

This changes the immunity icons to show you what the immunity is for.

Enchanced Class Icons
-Clickedy-

Colourizes the icons for classes. It's a nice little touch.

2DAs
A modified Appearance.2DA that changes the scale of wings (See picture) on PCs for more realistic wings. Note: This will also change backpack models. (sword, quiver, backpack, etc)
The soundset override that opens all voicesets during character creation.
The portrait override that opens all portraits during character creation.
All of the Thain specific 2DA files for updated classes, as well as one handed spears.

Known Bugs

Sadly I cannot eliminate every possible bug in the vast number of overrides I use, but I can warn you about the various ones I have encountered. All of them are visual and none of them have caused crashing/gameplay interference for me.

1) Forest tileset - The tile with the head statue at the end of a road is missing a texture.
2) Cave Tileset - A corridor in the umber hulk cave had issues with the walkmesh throwing characters into the air. Simply click to the area you want to go and wait, I assure your character is still on their way there!
3) Undead occasionally animate strangely.
Falkala
4:08:58 am GMT 07/01/16
Falkala Forum Admin
Oh, I had a bug that slipped my check before. It seems negative energy VFX is broken.

If you delete the files that end in _fxneg.mdl it fixes it. The pack has also been updated to reflect this.
Caitiff
6:35:25 am GMT 07/01/16
Caitiff Registered Member #198 Joined: 6:30:40 pm GMT 08/02/04
If you sign up for a dropbox account (or have one already) help save Falkala's bandwidth by telling it to copy it to your dropbox then download it from your own.
Falkala
7:57:31 am GMT 07/01/16
Falkala Forum Admin
Yes, please do <3 Once I find a more permanent hosting solution this won't be a problem anymore.
Falkala
5:19:17 pm GMT 07/05/16
Falkala Forum Admin
Good news everyone!

Archgrendel has kindly hosted the pack on his own server, so no more worries of being blocked out of the download when I hit my bandwidth cap. Even more good news, the pack has been updated to 1.04. It now includes several placeables as well as repairing the creature override. Note: I did not include the ogres in the creature override as they use the DLA model that was added in 1.69, and I thought the model too large in places like the ogre halls.
PFWG
11:12:44 pm GMT 07/05/16
PFWG Registered Member #23933 Joined: 6:13:12 pm GMT 05/15/15
I deleted my override completely (it was largely crap that didn't work and i didn't want any adverse interactions) and have installed all of these overrides, and then went to add the Official Thain Overrides and it said that files with the same name were already present, but were older than the Official Thain Overrides I was adding on top of these.

Does this mean this has an older copy of the Official Thain Overrides in with it? I assume it still works as intended but I mightn't be the only person that doesn't read the whole list and notice they're also included >.>

I am going to check these out in the morning, thank you for doing this. I'm useless at stuff like this, especially making everything work together with multiple mods all editing the same files so this is super useful.

Is it too early to call for a sticky? smile
Falkala
11:17:32 pm GMT 07/05/16
Falkala Forum Admin
All of the official Thain overrides (the 2DAs with the classes and item changes) are included. That said, feel free to use yours! The only file here that I would avoid overwriting is Appearance.2da as that one has been edited to make all those monsters work as well as re-scale wings. (Oh, and helmets on elves too, I forgot to edit that into the first post.)
Ogreman007
8:28:10 am GMT 07/06/16
Ogreman007 'Lupi made me do it
Registered Member #175 Joined: 5:49:41 pm GMT 07/23/04
R.E. the cave tileset walk mesh error - I don't know what causes this but I don't think it's an override. I have for as long as I can remember always (on all characters brave enough to get there) been #walking in the aaaiiiiirr# on the little narrow piece of land outside Fhelkhorn's lair! Always, without fail. I think it's just one of those lovely NWN quirks and not override related. Just saying grin

Edit: Also thanks for this! I've been using what I can only describe as a graphics 'overhaul' override that uses more 'modern' techniques to try to make the game a little more visually aesthetic (like distance fade of objects, better graphics rendering etc) but can't for the life of me remember what it's called. It's worth a go to see if it doesn't crash with all this extra stuff I reckon - thanks for compiling and sharing!
Davenutninja1
9:03:55 am GMT 07/06/16
Davenutninja1 Registered Member #1553 Joined: 10:14:34 am GMT 03/11/10
Ogreman I do believe what you are looking for is called the bloom shader.
-Clickedy-
Ogreman007
7:56:11 pm GMT 07/06/16
Ogreman007 'Lupi made me do it
Registered Member #175 Joined: 5:49:41 pm GMT 07/23/04
Ah yes that is the one thanks! It works pretty well as far as I can tell although when I visit the Northlands (snowy tile sets) and there is any sort of lights on a creature, things do get a bit shiny and weird. Also Although it renders distance such that you can see a whole area from far away without the 'fog' as it were, it doesn't render creatures or items any further than normal so it is a bit annoying when you run along and something pops interview but I can live with that I guess!

Edit: because dictation fails
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 36
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: MarinkaKSquic
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
1. Elvalith Nain
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org