Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Shards
    Shards  3 months ago

Happy New Year!

• Edrick
    Edrick  3 months ago

Happy New Year all!

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  6 months ago

You the man thanks mate

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  6 months ago

There it is!

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  6 months ago

-Clickedy-

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  6 months ago

Anyone have the thain discord link, thankyou

• Payne
    Payne  6 months ago

Edrick... mad

• Edrick
    Edrick  6 months ago

Payne

• !ofAkindGuy2000
    !ofAkindGuy2000  6 months ago

Thanks.

• Glognar
    Glognar  6 months ago

There is! You need to examine the omnidye to find the info. I also think that there is still an error though in one of the numbers.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Music, Books, Films and TV
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Books!

1 2 3 4  last
LAN_402 LAN_403
Talla
3:36:38 pm GMT 09/17/10
Talla *hairflip*
Registered Member #232 Joined: 11:20:46 am GMT 08/30/04
The point of this thread is to recommend books that you have enjoyed. Please make one post and then edit if if you wish to add a book title. smile

Talla's Books:

The Hobbit - One of my all time favorite books. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the story so I won't bore you with details. tongue

World War Z - This is supposed to be a book that was written after the "Zombie War". The book itself is well written and makes you feel as if you were there.

The Strain - Currently reading!

The Southern Vampire Mysteries Also known as the Sookie Stackhouse or True Blood series. The books, in my opinion, are much better than the show.

Harper Connelly Mysteries - Another set of books by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Books). These books were an easy read and I enjoyed the paranormal mystery in them.

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (creepy old pictures in the book)

Any of the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs

((I need to add more when I have time!))
Payne
3:39:48 pm GMT 09/17/10
Payne EXCELSIOR!
Registered Member #613 Joined: 9:18:34 pm GMT 09/09/05
I have a huge list of recently read books, but the tops will have to be Anathem

If you like spy thrillers Pwny, you may enjoy The Afghan

Anything by Louis Lamour
MadskillsMike
3:44:00 pm GMT 09/17/10
MadskillsMike capesh*t, bro
Registered Member #143 Joined: 7:06:07 pm GMT 06/17/04
Rubicon by Tom Holland is a historical book describing the fall of the Roman Republic. It goes into great detail explaining the social trends and norms of the time, and how they changed as military and political events took place over the centuries. The politicians of the late republic, such as Caesar and Pompey, and particularly Cicero, are described in a nuanced way. Good book for history buffs.
C_McG
3:45:15 pm GMT 09/17/10
C_McG *lurks from behind the screen*
Registered Member #682 Joined: 11:18:25 pm GMT 01/09/06
The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

A Song of Fire and Ice Series by George R. R. Martin (currently awaiting the release of the 5th book here in the US)

Wheel of Time

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card (and a second on the Ender and Ender's Shadow Series, or even just Ender's Game)

(( more to come when I have a moment to think on it ))
mylittlepwny
4:03:31 pm GMT 09/17/10
mylittlepwny Zesty Mordant
Registered Member #1223 Joined: 8:21:47 pm GMT 12/16/07
Just finished Kate Taylor's A Man in Uniform. Go look up the (terminally boring-looking) cover + try to guess what it's about.

Guessed yet?

It's actually a ripping, pell-mell spy story.

I'm convinced someone in marketing screwed up, and this is actually supposed to be in the "airplane novels" section, with inch-tall metallic letters proclaiming "Kate Taylor's latest is more gripping than Jock Hardwood!" (or whoever the latest big name in spy thrillers is). And the jacket would be black with some kind of military crest on it.

Based on true events. Germany and France are at war, and there's a spy, and rampant infidelity, and an undercover agent, and at least one murder... It's actually -better- than any of the modern spy thrillers I've read. Sorry, Ian Fleming.

Next is Spanish Fly by Will Ferguson. The co-author of the snot-ejectingly funny How To Be A Canadian also wrote a grittier Depression-era story than The Grapes of Wrath and a more interesting gangster story than anything I've read by Elmore Leonard. Tons of brilliant lines, but the one that won me was "Virgil could turn a profit on an empty bucket." As magical and evocative as the cover photograph -- oh hell they've done away with the brilliant original cover, the bastards! (I'll forever regret not buying the autographed edition -- with the real cover featuring a badass guy in a sharp suit and a fedora. That's a real dude, and Mr. Ferguson writes about it, in the original afterword.)

Also Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett. I'm fully expecting to hear that this was ghost-written by somebody else, because it's so different from his other work (in that it's actually good). I'm convinced that this and the first half of A Monstrous Regiment were ghost-written by his wife, when Mr. Pratchett started going totally mad but still had to fulfill contractual obligations.

And no mention of worthwhile books would be complete without Bloody Jack, by LA Meyer. You've probably heard of The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, by Avi, whose books have won enough literary medals to bow his spine were he to try to wear them. Well, if Confessions is a sea shanty played by a trained classical master, with all the naughty words taken out and a line of pretty step-dancers going through their paces, then Bloody Jack is the same sea shanty only it's played by the Pogues and you've been drinking rum and there are no step-dancers but people are moshing and spilling things on each other.

I put this up as my Staff Pick when I worked at the bookstore, and it sold out. Though classed as Junior Fiction, it's really the best High Seas Adventure since Two Years Before the Mast. (Try to find the original edition, though -- it has a pirate on the cover instead of what looks like a bad NWN portrait pic. Or order directly from the author -- some editions included paintings done by him!)

(Thanks, Talla! Now I feel like I should start a thread in which we list Books To Be Avoided, too. tongue)

edit:
How could I forget! If Chins Could Kill, Bruce Campbell's biography. I started reading this at work on a slow day, laying on a counter in the hub waiting for trips, and I laughed so hard in the first 50 pages that I pulled some muscles in my stomach and the dispatcher asked what was wrong with me.

And another:
Burn Collector, Stories One Through Nine (though they're all pretty good). Al Burian writes about riding the Greyhound, metal, HP Lovecraft, religion, crummy jobs, people, music, art, and angst. Poignant, funny, and out of print. If you ever see one in a used bookstore somewhere for under $50, grab it and I will buy it from you.
Yeetamart
4:12:26 pm GMT 09/17/10
Yeetamart Registered Member #1271 Joined: 3:50:07 pm GMT 03/10/08
This is NWN after all, got to mention R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt books

Most of Michael Crichton's books, primary: Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Sphere, Eaters of the Dead (13th Warrior) and Congo.

Robert E. Howard's Conan stories.

Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea books.

H.P. Lovecraft stories: "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Shadow over Innsmouth"

And everything Tolkien has written ofc tongue
Abbadonich
5:06:59 pm GMT 09/17/10
Abbadonich Registered Member #1274 Joined: 2:03:35 pm GMT 04/01/08
I Mengsk By Graham MacNeil. Story from the Starcraft franchise.

The_Book_of_Five_Rings By Miamoto Mushashi. Currently reading.

The Silmarillion. By JRR Tolkien.

// More to come

Cleric of Mystra
5:07:12 pm GMT 09/17/10
Cleric of Mystra Registered Member #1083 Joined: 7:29:11 pm GMT 06/25/07
The Silmarillion makes my cheeks tickle, even after three or four reads.

What a nerd.
RocketNumber09
6:34:23 pm GMT 09/17/10
RocketNumber09 Registered Member #920 Joined: 10:53:31 pm GMT 11/21/06
For new science fiction and fantasy, I have two recommendations I've recently read:

The Psalms of Isaac series by Ken Scholes (currently comprised of Lamentation, Canticle, and Antiphon). This is one of the most unique fantasy worlds I've seen in a long time. I'd highly recommend this to somebody looking for something a little different.

Peter V. Brett's Demon series, including The Warded Man and The Desert Spear. This is dark, post-apocalyptic fantasy entailing humanity surviving nightly attacks by demons.
Eldurain
6:38:49 pm GMT 09/17/10
Eldurain Tempting as it was, I decided not to go round hitting people with a crowbar.
Registered Member #650 Joined: 1:17:12 pm GMT 11/20/05
I know it's supposed to be suggest books, but these are all series of books and you have to start at the beginning to really follow them. tongue

First and foremost:

The" >-Clickedy- Discworld by Sir Terry Pratchett - These are by far my most favourite books. I can suggest these for any Fantasy fan.

Secondly:
" >-Clickedy-
The Riftwar Cucle by Ramyond E Feist - A more "serious" fantasy novel. Spanning over many generations in the realm of Midkima.

Lastly:

The" >-Clickedy- Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb - Recently started on the first trilogy. They were rather well written. Going to see about the other two trilogies.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 34
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: PeterNar
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
1. Lydia Woods
2. Corah Ei'lyn
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org