Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Shards
    Shards  3 months ago

Happy New Year!

• Edrick
    Edrick  3 months ago

Happy New Year all!

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  6 months ago

You the man thanks mate

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  6 months ago

There it is!

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  6 months ago

-Clickedy-

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  6 months ago

Anyone have the thain discord link, thankyou

• Payne
    Payne  6 months ago

Edrick... mad

• Edrick
    Edrick  6 months ago

Payne

• !ofAkindGuy2000
    !ofAkindGuy2000  6 months ago

Thanks.

• Glognar
    Glognar  6 months ago

There is! You need to examine the omnidye to find the info. I also think that there is still an error though in one of the numbers.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Music, Books, Films and TV
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The bestest ever films released in past 10 years

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
7:38:18 pm GMT 12/02/16
Registered Member #2049 Joined: 12:00:00 am GMT 01/01/70
I used to watch movies a lot, but lately I've fallen behind. I've seen like 2 new movies a year (in average) since 2006 or so. So, please do tell me what I've missed! Some kinda plot summary (without spoiling too much), genre (if definable) and a link to IMDB would be nice, but just listing, say, 1-10 titles of movies you think are very very very good is enough. Oh and as much as documentary films can be entertaining, I'd like to stick to fiction this time.

So please, friends of good movies, bring me up to date by sharing your list!
Raven1210
8:00:10 pm GMT 12/02/16
Raven1210 Jungle Law Enforcerer
Registered Member #1180 Joined: 7:46:29 am GMT 10/05/07
Lock and Stock
The Snatch
Rock'n'rolla
The Mean Machine
Wild Card
Crank (Crank 2 is a bit too much)
The Hatetful Eight
Parker
Love Actually
About a boy
A long Way down (book is better)
The life of Walter Mitty
Shoulf be enough for awhile wink
Payne
8:04:17 pm GMT 12/02/16
Payne EXCELSIOR!
Registered Member #613 Joined: 9:18:34 pm GMT 09/09/05
Will have to put some thought into this, but first and foremost get John Wick
Dogbert
8:40:15 pm GMT 12/02/16
Dogbert Hundbert
Registered Member #293 Joined: 1:22:43 am GMT 10/06/04
I was literally only going to post John Wick and you beat me to it. Best action movie in years if not decades.
Raven1210
8:11:27 am GMT 12/03/16
Raven1210 Jungle Law Enforcerer
Registered Member #1180 Joined: 7:46:29 am GMT 10/05/07
Yep, john wick it's really nice!
EcoTec
10:04:28 am GMT 12/03/16
EcoTec Registered Member #2786 Joined: 8:07:59 am GMT 11/11/12
Ash VS Evil Dead. Got the same sence of humor as the old moves best series i have seen in awhile
mylittlepwny
4:34:50 am GMT 12/13/16
mylittlepwny Zesty Mordant
Registered Member #1223 Joined: 8:21:47 pm GMT 12/16/07
Best Action: Hardcore Henry (2015). Putting aside the first-person visual gimmick, this is the best pure action film since. . .ever. Fights, guns, unexpected laughs, "even a dog" (to quote Shakespeare in Love -- which I didn't much like tongue).

Best Shakespeare: Anonymous (2011). Who really wrote those famous plays? Who cares? Gorgeous sets, costumes, and period detail. You can practically smell the mud and gunpowder.

Best Comedy: I'm a bit torn between The World's End (2013) and Attack the Block (2011).

Best Sci-Fi: I really liked In Time (2011), but for sheer scale the "Best" would go to District 9 (2009). Alien story from South Africa, where aparthied. Shot in real shantytowns, the layers of politico-social everything are squirm-inducing. Fantastic creature effects, and it's fun to have your sympathies messed with by Sharlto Copley and the cutest "little kid" sidekick in film history. Still waiting for a sequel.

Best Love Story: Priest (2011). With a side of bikes and trains and post-apocalyptic wasteland, and vampires who are gross and horrible instead of sparkly and lame.

Best Nerd Flick: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014). I think some film reviewer mentioned this (I want to say MovieBob, but I could be wrong), but it's kind of hilarious that a summer popcorn movie about a silly comic book could double as a Film Studies seminar on things like pace, character and worldbuilding. Extra points for the Firefly-meets-Tron costuming.

Best Chick Flick: Alatriste (2006). Viggo Mortensen plays the hard-pressed but indefatigable hero, suffering through a crummy war and a doomed romance with a gallantry that makes Cyrano de Bergerac look like an emo kid having a sulk. Based loosely on the novels by Arturo Perez-Reverte.

Best Historical: The Witch (2015). To paraphrase the imdb description, a family in 1630s New England is torn apart. . . by religious mania while trying to hack a new life out of an inhospitable wilderness. An eerie little cult gem that did not, I suspect, get a fair shake because everyone (me included) was expecting capital-H horror. Realizing how much life would suck in that situation is more chilling than any jump scares/gore on offer.

Actual Best Horror: The Big Short (2015). I know, you said no documentaries. But it's presented in a "fun" way so maybe gets a pass? Scariest thing since The Ring, lol.

Best Sequel Since Aliens: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). Cars. Explosions. Exploding cars. Have fun spotting all the little nods to the previous films, then have fun spotting all the bits of all the cars they bastardized into these wonderful, crazyfun machines -- that actually drive places. (My inner five-year-old will not die happy until I own them all as Hot Wheels and can vroom them around the linoleum on Saturday mornings).
Fender87
10:26:13 pm GMT 08/16/17
Fender87 Registered Member #24005 Joined: 7:42:25 pm GMT 06/05/16
I dont watch many movies either as there are too many tv shows that are much better, but anyway here is my 10.

1. Logan 2017
Last X-men movie. A better adamption of a book series i have never seen.

2 Drive 2011
A mysterious man who has multiple jobs as a garage mechanic, a Hollywood stuntman and a getaway driver seems to be trying to escape his shady past as he falls for his neighbor. It also features Ron Pearlman, which is a reason alone to see it smile

3. Django Unchained 2012
A must see. Brutally hilarious and quite messy, but a total blast from start to finish.

4. Jakten (Aka The Hunt) 2012
one of the most breathtaking movies this year in my opinion.
Mads Mikkelsen plays a school teacher who gets his life turned up side down from a innocent little lie.

5. 10 cloverfield lane 2016
Good horror movie, and there is not many of them around. -Clickedy-

6. Batman: The Dark Knight (you have probably seen this but had to add it)

7. Enemy 2013
Mind blowing. I loved the movie and you understand it if you watch it twice or pay attention smile

8 Into the wild 2007
I think there are too few movies like this out there these days.
A young student who decides that the anger and violence in civilized society is not something he wanna be a part of. He leaves it all behind and goes on a journey through nature to live how it was truly meant to be. Great music score from Eddie Vedder by the way.

9. Shutter Island 2010
There is something odd here...

10. Max Manus 2008
Greatest Norwegian film ever made.
The true story about one of the most brilliant saboteurs during World War II

Scapegoat89
12:42:48 pm GMT 08/17/17
Scapegoat89 Registered Member #23913 Joined: 12:56:59 am GMT 03/12/15
John Wick 1 & 2! As someone who's studied film as a focus in college, I really have to struggle to find flaws in these movies. Good g'damned stuff!
Corlupi
2:00:44 pm GMT 08/18/17
Corlupi Awooo
Registered Member #2942 Joined: 4:48:33 pm GMT 11/27/12
A Seperation, Asgar Farhadi. Complex, human, rich, and providing no easy answers to the situations and dilemmas that it depicts, it makes you care for each and every one of its characters.

Dogtooth, Yrgos Lathimos. Utterly original, deadpan, worrisome, dreamy, and totally inexplicable, it's skewering of the myth of the perfect family.

Under the Skin, Jonathan Glazer. A movie where Scarlett Johanson actually acts reasonably well. The plot is tangentially weird (a single female extraterrestrial who makes contact with Earth, and slowly begins to learn the complexity of human existence) but it's good stuff.

The Act of Killing, Joshua Oppenheimer.

Blue is the Warmest Colour, Abdellatif Kechiche. Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux give unfathomably realistic performances as two girls who happened to cross the same intersection one day and developed a relationship. It's an emotionally naked cinematic ride that deservedly won a Palme D'Or.

Inherent Vice. Talk-heavy but if you're a sucker for forests of witty and profound dialogue this movie is a must-see. Also it's directed by the dude who made There Will Be Blood so you know it's quality stuff.

A Prophet, Jacques Audiard. If you liked the Shawshank Redemption, you'll like this one too. The lead actor's unflinching, raw-talent performance is inspiring.

Her, Spike Jonze. A lonely man falls in love with his operating system (voiced by Scarlett Johansson). Combining one of the most rigorous visions of the near-future ever seen on screen with an intensely personal and surprisingly raw story.

Leviathan, Andrey Zvyagintsev. A Russian filmmaker exposing the top-down rot and decay of his country in the Putin era.
1 2 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 45
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: PeterNar
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
1. Vkangald
2. Dahlia Silver-Tongue
3. Elizah
4. Seth Galanderos