Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Forgiver
    Forgiver  14 hours ago

Yeah - both of those are just byproducts of my old-man eyes not seeing well from the toolset and thinking there was a path down from those ledges that there turned out to not be. There's also a bug with a pitfall in one part of the dungeon Blue told me about that is a similar "Stuck" point. I got one fixed last night, but never heard of or saw the second one until now. I'll get it fixed when I get home tonight!

• Dogbert
    Dogbert  14 hours ago

Forgiver, my dude. Falling into the gap on the way TO the dungeon is AWFUL. One good change today, not requiring a jump or a portal to even enter the zone, A+. But now if you fall (even if roped, because it doesn't actually work), you get stuck in an area you can't leave without a jump or portal.

• C_McG
    C_McG  2 days ago

Fun!

After years of saying I wanted to get a telescope my wife made the "mistake" of buying me a 102 f/12.7 Orion Maksutov-Cassegrain. Love it for planetary and brighter deep-sky viewing so far.

Of course that just made the bug worse and want to get a larger scope for viewing fainter objects.

So I am curious what other use.

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 days ago

Working telescopes (atm): old Celestron C8 SCT I purchased back in 1979, new Celestron OmniXLT 150 6" f/5 Newtonian, cheapo Meade 90mm f/8.8 refractor sniped off of eBay for $30 (these three I use on a Celestron AVX mount). Also a homebuilt 10" Dobsonian put together in 2010 and a homebuilt 6" Newtonian I made in H.S. c. 1966. Main imaging camera (atm) is a Canon 60D DSLR. The new camera is the SVBony SV305 Pro - plan to use it as a guide camera and for moon/planetary imaging.

• C_McG
    C_McG  4 days ago

What telescopes do you have? And camera?

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  4 days ago

I'll likely miss Section Six tonight. Got a new camera for my telescopes and it looks like the sky will be clear. So, I'll be outside doing astrophotography stuff.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  4 days ago

Oh! I will be IG as Tarok tonight instead of Sol!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  4 days ago

Section Six will take place at 7pm CDT (-5GMT) tonight, which is an hour later than last week.

We will meet in the Iron Minogon. Good(ish) type characters of level SEVEN or below ! Just assume your character got a mysterious letter inviting them there !

• Squidget
    Squidget  1 week ago

They receive the DC benefit from items, but not from spell foci, since alchemist gas clouds are not spells. They also don't receive the bonus from the wild magic robe specifically since gas clouds can't wild magic.

• Dogbert
    Dogbert  1 week ago

Are alchemists' clouds affected by spell focus/GSF or items/enchants that increase spell save DCs?

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Neverwinter Nights
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Warlocks - comments, ideas, questions

LAN_402 LAN_403
Zhymm
2:55:27 pm GMT 04/19/21
Zhymm Registered Member #191 Joined: 2:06:27 pm GMT 07/31/04
Hey folks. I started a new 'toon - a warlock. And the process has me thinking of "what would be the 'best' warlock build?" You know me, mister min_max-er.

When I start a new character and think about how I will develop him/her I'll often explore different 'builds' using the Halls of Advanced Training module in my off-line NwN client. But, my current version of this module does not include the warlock class. And this gives me pause. How far down the 'warlock' path do I want to go without having a 'plan' mapped out beforehand? My current warlock is only level 4 and 'full' warlock. I may abandon him based on what I think may make a 'better' (in my mind) warlock based character.

I've seen a few players running a warlock in game. I thought it may be 'fun' to share our concepts/strategies/plans/whatever as we level up our character(s) with this new class.

What Abilities have you chosen for your warlock? And why? I started with a high Charisma (the warlock's base Ability) and a high Intelligence (gotta get those skill points each level up). What did you choose?

What about multi-class? One thing I noticed right off is a warlock does not get UMD. Which bothers me a bit. I was thinking a Rogue/Warlock might be interesting to explore to get UMD plus some 'useful' Rogue Skills. Do you intend to multiclass your warlock? Or are you going 'full' warlock with your own character?

Which Skills are you planning to focus on for your own build? Spellcraft, Lore, Discipline and Concentration? Any others?

Respectfully,

OMZ
Zhymm
3:04:06 pm GMT 04/19/21
Oops, I forgot about Feats. What enhancements to Eldritch Blast are you considering? So far, I have Eldritch Explosion and Glyph of Spreading Flames (remember I'm only level 4 atm). What other Feats are you considering. I have Combat Casting and Point Blank Shot atm.

BTW, Update Post does not seem to be working for me.
scratch_flannigan
5:04:34 pm GMT 04/19/21
scratch_flannigan Squawk!
Registered Member #648 Joined: 1:50:32 am GMT 11/20/05
I have not started one myself (I'm working on a Spell Thief), but the discussions that I have seen say that Dexterity is an important stat. It seems that it is used for hitting with a ranged touch attack like Eldrich Blast.
Eijji
5:41:53 pm GMT 04/19/21
Eijji Registered Member #24784 Joined: 3:41:16 pm GMT 11/26/18
14-16 dex, 15-17 cha is all you need for stats. I'd do 14 con myself for blood pact. Other than that YRMV
Zhymm
4:04:48 am GMT 04/20/21
Hmm, high Dex, high Cha. That fits right in with my thoughts about a Rogue/Warlock multiclass build. Thanks for the tip about Dex affecting ranged touch spells, I was not aware of that (or more likely just plain forgot).

OMZ
Cuchuwyn
2:14:35 pm GMT 04/20/21
Cuchuwyn Registered Member #24041 Joined: 4:19:01 am GMT 01/24/17
Worth noting, I just updated the player mod about 2 days ago to have a download that includes warlock (and Spellthief too)
Cuchuwyn
8:11:12 pm GMT 04/21/21
To add to the other post- I think Warlock is cool because it offers you a lot of choices about how much you want to lean on Eldritch Blast (or EB) for your damage versus how much you want to do other things and use EB as a crowd-control/finisher type thing.

Because Warlock is 3/4 BaB and gets D8 hit dice, you can do ok as a Melee guy, especially if you dip into something like Paladin or Blackguard enough to get the 4 attacks per round and possibly divine shield/might. Since you want CHA anyway for Warlock, those seem like a natural fit, though PDK might also be an interesting choice, what with the move speed and attack bonuses from shouts. In something like those classes, you'd still want to wear light armor so you'd have no arcane spell failure, but if you had high DEX and high CHA your AC would still be roughly the same as wearing plate. You'd probably also want to take weapon finesse (and use a finesse-able weapon) to take advantage of your high DEX mod for your attack rolls. In this kind of build, your EB would probably be mostly used to blind/stun/daze/your CC of choice enemies at the start of a fight or to temporarily disable one/a small group after the clump up on you while you hit the rest with your weapon of choice.

Alternately, if you're doing EB as your main damage source, you almost certainly would want to go to at least level 18 Warlock, as that is when you first get level 5 spells, and I'm here to tell you, Warlock's Frenzy absolutely slaps. You basically turn into a mobile howitzer for 5 rounds and since you're hitting touch AC, you almost never miss. You don't have the raw burst potential of a sorc/wiz casting max IGMS of course, but you also never run out of EB casts. A Warlock 18/(Rogue/SD) 2 build would be pretty solid, depending on whether you wanted HiPS or UMD/Tumble more. Worth noting, Warlocks get 2+int skill points, so you won't have a ton to save up for a skill dump late in the game.

There's not really a way to go wrong with the Warlock bonus feats- though I think probably getting the one that makes your EB an AoE attack once every 10 rounds is probably good, since it applies other effects as well, meaning you can activate multiple glyphs at once, then shoot, applying all effects to any target(s) hit. This can be good for getting a small group off you all at once.

I'd caution against taking too many of the 1d6 bonus damage feats, but ymmv there- I think it's easy to paint yourself into a corner though with them and not be able to do much against groups of enemies that can live through a blast or two and still be ready to hit you, especially if you're not using a melee weapon to fight back.

Just my 2c from leveling a 'lock to 19 and playing with the mechanics a bit. It's a fun class!
!ofAkindGuy2000
1:24:14 am GMT 05/04/21
!ofAkindGuy2000 Registered Member #878 Joined: 10:05:17 pm GMT 10/11/06
I was trying out the warlock class on the module and there is something I don't understand. In the class description it says:

"The nature of their pact allows them to invoke their spells more frequently, without having to stop or rest as a wizard or sorcerer might."

however they seem to run out of spells and need to rest to regain them just like any other spellcasting class. Any chance someone could explain what this is intended to mean regarding the class.
Cuchuwyn
2:08:28 am GMT 05/04/21
Ah, that's perhaps a bit confusing- Eldritch Blast as an attack is an unlimited spell, and any glyph feats you take with it are also unlimited (though on cooldown). "Regular" spells, like fireball, etc. are still casts/day.
Zhymm
5:15:31 am GMT 05/11/21
One thing about warlocks with respect to other arcane spell casters (wizards and sorcerers) that has me wondering - warlocks don't (as far as I can tell) get a summoned familiar like a wizard or sorcerer. Is this intended? Something to "balance" warlocks having an "unlimited" attack spell (Eldritch Blast)?

Dang it, but my warlock could sure use an extra "meatshield".

Respectfully,

OMZ

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, scratch_flannigan, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, ChaoticDrow, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Wraitheus, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 39
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: zakor
  • Most ever online: 208
    Guests: 206, Members: 2 on Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 20:11:48
Now Playing
1. Percival Grinswold
2. Beliah
3. Malaka Sako
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org