Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Forgiver
    Forgiver  15 hours ago

Yeah - both of those are just byproducts of my old-man eyes not seeing well from the toolset and thinking there was a path down from those ledges that there turned out to not be. There's also a bug with a pitfall in one part of the dungeon Blue told me about that is a similar "Stuck" point. I got one fixed last night, but never heard of or saw the second one until now. I'll get it fixed when I get home tonight!

• Dogbert
    Dogbert  15 hours ago

Forgiver, my dude. Falling into the gap on the way TO the dungeon is AWFUL. One good change today, not requiring a jump or a portal to even enter the zone, A+. But now if you fall (even if roped, because it doesn't actually work), you get stuck in an area you can't leave without a jump or portal.

• C_McG
    C_McG  2 days ago

Fun!

After years of saying I wanted to get a telescope my wife made the "mistake" of buying me a 102 f/12.7 Orion Maksutov-Cassegrain. Love it for planetary and brighter deep-sky viewing so far.

Of course that just made the bug worse and want to get a larger scope for viewing fainter objects.

So I am curious what other use.

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 days ago

Working telescopes (atm): old Celestron C8 SCT I purchased back in 1979, new Celestron OmniXLT 150 6" f/5 Newtonian, cheapo Meade 90mm f/8.8 refractor sniped off of eBay for $30 (these three I use on a Celestron AVX mount). Also a homebuilt 10" Dobsonian put together in 2010 and a homebuilt 6" Newtonian I made in H.S. c. 1966. Main imaging camera (atm) is a Canon 60D DSLR. The new camera is the SVBony SV305 Pro - plan to use it as a guide camera and for moon/planetary imaging.

• C_McG
    C_McG  4 days ago

What telescopes do you have? And camera?

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  4 days ago

I'll likely miss Section Six tonight. Got a new camera for my telescopes and it looks like the sky will be clear. So, I'll be outside doing astrophotography stuff.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  4 days ago

Oh! I will be IG as Tarok tonight instead of Sol!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  4 days ago

Section Six will take place at 7pm CDT (-5GMT) tonight, which is an hour later than last week.

We will meet in the Iron Minogon. Good(ish) type characters of level SEVEN or below ! Just assume your character got a mysterious letter inviting them there !

• Squidget
    Squidget  1 week ago

They receive the DC benefit from items, but not from spell foci, since alchemist gas clouds are not spells. They also don't receive the bonus from the wild magic robe specifically since gas clouds can't wild magic.

• Dogbert
    Dogbert  1 week ago

Are alchemists' clouds affected by spell focus/GSF or items/enchants that increase spell save DCs?

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Neverwinter Nights
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Town Hall 2021

LAN_402 LAN_403
Cuchuwyn
4:41:27 am GMT 03/01/21
Cuchuwyn Registered Member #24041 Joined: 4:19:01 am GMT 01/24/17
Good [insert time of day here] everyone! I'm happy to announce that the 2021 Thain town hall will take place Friday, March 19 at 6PM PST/9PM EST/2AM GMT (Sorry GMT folks!), 1PM Saturday AEDT. Like last year, I will be doing a short write-up of what all gets asked, so if you can't make this time, feel free to send me a question via discord between now and then and I will include it in the writeup. For last year's questions/answers, you can click here: -Clickedy-

Hope to see lots of you there!
Squidget
3:30:22 pm GMT 03/19/21
Squidget !
Registered Member #20 Joined: 8:30:40 am GMT 02/25/04
Reminder that this is tonight at 6PM PST/9PM EST/2AM GMT (Sorry GMT folks!), 1PM Saturday AEDT!
Cuchuwyn
4:18:31 am GMT 03/20/21
Cuchuwyn Registered Member #24041 Joined: 4:19:01 am GMT 01/24/17
You had Q's!

We had A's!

And now, you shall see the (paraphrased) final form, complete with new question DLC from players not able to attend!

Q1: Are there plans to more overtly announce new module areas?

A1: Depends on the area! For dungeons and major plot areas, we tend to announce those pretty clearly. For out-of-the-way RP areas, we tend to hint at them and leave them open for exploration. Maybe we'll be a little more open about those, but we do want to encourage exploration still!

Q2: Any plans for Ashwood?

A2: Nothing immediate- the general sense is that Ashwood is recovering from the war and trying to rebuild power. If a group of players starts RPing in the area, some things might happen, but that's true of any area!

Q3: Is anything done to make zones feel more dynamic, especially zones often travelled through?

A3: Yes, some of which will be immediately visible in the rebuilds coming soon (tm) and some of which will be a little more subtle, with things like random animal spawns and things like that.

Q4: Can the Northlands be colder/have persistent cold damage?

A4: Maybe in places! We don't necessarily want to make the village have permanent AoE damage just because we like people being able to RP there. But maybe in the glaciers, or maybe with some scripted weather that does damage if you're outside.

Q5: Will player-run camps like the one in Grey Iron be added as permanent settlements?

A5: Probably not. Not because we dislike the story there, but because if they were, we'd have to add NPCs to keep them going if the players ever left or the characters were retired, etc. This would mean that there would have to be an NPC boss there to run things, and that doesn't seem fun for a player group, or that all the players would have to make their PCs into NPCs, which also doesn't seem fun.

Q6: Are player event stories taken into consideration when building?

A6: Yes! Often not in a direct manner (ie: a build will usually not reflect an end to a player/group's goals) but sometimes the land changes as a result of players/groups doing consistent RP around them- the caverns in Lumenshire, the grove in Grauer Suden, the annex in Jerrit's tomb are all examples of this, and there are others too.

Q7: New prestige classes?

A7: Yes! Probably first will be an Arcane Trickster class that Forgiver has written up and scripted, so major props to him. This will be a rogue PrC similar to Dirgesinger or the fighter PrC subclasses. We've been playtesting it for a couple weeks now, and it's pretty sweet! In addition, with NWNx, Squidget has revealed she's been working/wants to work on the following:

-Warlock
-Favored Soul
-Some kind of shaman/dark druid type class (name TBD)
-An active support class

The timeframe on these is still nebulous, but she hopes to have at least one ready to go in with the big updates to areas coming soon (tm).

One note on classes- we generally want to avoid putting in a class that does things that other classes on Thain already do, even if imperfectly. At least at first, we want to give more options for niches that haven't been filled, rather than try to perfect builds that are already RP-able through metaclassing.

Q8: Staff opinions on the power level of the server

A8: We have tried to keep things more or less in line with the +5 change 5-ish years ago. There are a few (two) items that have a +6 stat, but they have major drawbacks, and are in areas where the +6 isn't going to be super OP. Generally the rule we try to keep in mind is +5 or +3/4 with bonuses, and that's something we've been pretty set on for at least a couple years now. We don't want to see the server power increase more than +5 equivalent, and have no plans to make +6 or higher items without major major drawbacks.

Q9: Why are cleric wands busted? Why can't you use wands that you make, even with the maker's charm?

A9: *Waves hand in a Jedi fashion* You can use wands however you want. ((A fix was put in as the town hall went on that puts a check in to see if the pc using the wand is the same pc who made it. If the answer is yes, you should automatically use it. If you trade/sell wands to other players, they will still have a UMD check as normal. Note: this only applies to new wands made after this fix. Old wands will still be broken.))

Q10: What do staff look for when thinking about adding new staff?

A10: There are obviously a lot of considerations, but here's a quick list of things we consider (in no particular order).

-The player's knowledge of Thain's setting.
-Someone that can play multiple types of characters (ie: good and evil NPCs)
-Someone that has the OOC time to commit to staff (since it doesn't do us much good to add a staff member that can only DM a couple hours a month).
-Someone that we feel "gets" Thain's vision as a server, which is reflected in the way they RP, the kinds of player events they run, etc.
-Someone we think we can work with OOC as part of a team, since staff sometimes disagree with each other, but we still have to maintain a working relationship and not split off into factions.

Q11: Can the cleric helmet get an ability that all heal spells don't already do?

A11: Probably, if we can come up with something interesting that fits with the relative power of the other +4 class items (which is pretty low-powered abilities), and still feels true to the character it was based on.

Q12: Any plans to update fishing?

A12: Not on the top of the priority list, but it's something we've talked about, and ChaoticDrow (who wrote the original fishing script) may get inspired too.

Q13: I'm told that the main questline is currently bugged. Is that correct, and if so, when can we expect to see it working again?

A13: There is a section that is not completable due to ingame events involving a very angry chicken. In the short term, I think it'd be easy enough to fix that, but in the long term the main quest is still something I think we want to redo more or less entirely, but it's just about finding the time.

Q14: How does Thain get new players? In terms of user activity, are we growing, shrinking, or remaining steady?

A14: We don't advertise Thain at all, so most new players are word-of-mouth from current players or folks who stumble on the server randomly or heard about it from someone on another server. In the past year I think the playerbase has grown slightly, but don't quote me on that. We're generally content to have fewer players over trying to get more players just to drive up numbers though, and there are things we can do as a server (like the freedoms in player eventing) that wouldn't be possible if we were a big server with lots of trolls or people out trying to ruin others' fun.

Q15: Are there plans to reopen the Patreon? If I otherwise wanted to make a donation to the server, how would I do that?

A15: If I remember correctly, the Patreon was closed because it ended up costing Falkala more in taxes (since it counted as income from a foreign country), than it brought in. Right now Thain is very fortunate to have folks willing to pay for hosting of both the forums and the server itself. With the upcoming change in hosting platforms, we may look into opening something back up, but if we don't, know that the server isn't in danger of closing anytime soon.

Q16: I notice a lot of Ranger/Rogue/Shadowdancers. Is build diversity an issue, and are any balance changes currently being looked at to that regard?

A16: I think those classes (ranger and SD especially) are quite solid together, and have a lot of fun abilities. I think generally we'd rather give other classes reworks (see: monk) than take stuff away from those classes, but it's an ongoing process. I think in general build diversity is ok on Thain, though there are some classes *coughharperscoutcough* that could probably use some tlc.

Q17: - Does the staff have any opinions on an equipment resizing system that would size down tower shields and two handed weapons for small races to use?

A17: I don't think this is something we'd want to get into too much, no, just for balance and mechanics issues, as well as visual issues of having characters holding weapons or shields bigger than they are.

That's it for now! Thanks again to everyone who came to town hall or sent in questions, and thanks as always to the players who make this place a wonderful place to tell stories in.

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, scratch_flannigan, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, ChaoticDrow, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Wraitheus, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 34
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: zakor
  • Most ever online: 208
    Guests: 206, Members: 2 on Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 20:11:48
Now Playing
1. Beliah
2. Malaka Sako
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org