Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Forgiver
    Forgiver  14 hours ago

Yeah - both of those are just byproducts of my old-man eyes not seeing well from the toolset and thinking there was a path down from those ledges that there turned out to not be. There's also a bug with a pitfall in one part of the dungeon Blue told me about that is a similar "Stuck" point. I got one fixed last night, but never heard of or saw the second one until now. I'll get it fixed when I get home tonight!

• Dogbert
    Dogbert  15 hours ago

Forgiver, my dude. Falling into the gap on the way TO the dungeon is AWFUL. One good change today, not requiring a jump or a portal to even enter the zone, A+. But now if you fall (even if roped, because it doesn't actually work), you get stuck in an area you can't leave without a jump or portal.

• C_McG
    C_McG  2 days ago

Fun!

After years of saying I wanted to get a telescope my wife made the "mistake" of buying me a 102 f/12.7 Orion Maksutov-Cassegrain. Love it for planetary and brighter deep-sky viewing so far.

Of course that just made the bug worse and want to get a larger scope for viewing fainter objects.

So I am curious what other use.

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 days ago

Working telescopes (atm): old Celestron C8 SCT I purchased back in 1979, new Celestron OmniXLT 150 6" f/5 Newtonian, cheapo Meade 90mm f/8.8 refractor sniped off of eBay for $30 (these three I use on a Celestron AVX mount). Also a homebuilt 10" Dobsonian put together in 2010 and a homebuilt 6" Newtonian I made in H.S. c. 1966. Main imaging camera (atm) is a Canon 60D DSLR. The new camera is the SVBony SV305 Pro - plan to use it as a guide camera and for moon/planetary imaging.

• C_McG
    C_McG  4 days ago

What telescopes do you have? And camera?

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  4 days ago

I'll likely miss Section Six tonight. Got a new camera for my telescopes and it looks like the sky will be clear. So, I'll be outside doing astrophotography stuff.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  4 days ago

Oh! I will be IG as Tarok tonight instead of Sol!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  4 days ago

Section Six will take place at 7pm CDT (-5GMT) tonight, which is an hour later than last week.

We will meet in the Iron Minogon. Good(ish) type characters of level SEVEN or below ! Just assume your character got a mysterious letter inviting them there !

• Squidget
    Squidget  1 week ago

They receive the DC benefit from items, but not from spell foci, since alchemist gas clouds are not spells. They also don't receive the bonus from the wild magic robe specifically since gas clouds can't wild magic.

• Dogbert
    Dogbert  1 week ago

Are alchemists' clouds affected by spell focus/GSF or items/enchants that increase spell save DCs?

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Neverwinter Nights
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Thain's DM Staff

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
BlackNRose
4:18:00 am GMT 11/04/20
BlackNRose Registered Member #1189 Joined: 1:04:10 am GMT 10/20/07
Thainites! Since our forums no longer show our active DMs in the FAQ, this thread will be used to keep you informed on our current DM staff, as well as some details about each of us individually to help you get to know us better.

Current Active Staff

Cuchuwyn
Squidget
Miggen
Alanonas
Oberon
Raven
BlackNailedRose
BlackNRose
4:25:59 am GMT 11/04/20
BlackNRose Registered Member #1189 Joined: 1:04:10 am GMT 10/20/07
Current Active Staff (Revised 7/10/21)

Cuchuwyn-Head Admin
Squidget-Technical Guru
Miggen
Alanonas
Oberon
Raven
Wraitheus
Arch Grendel
Lupi
Forgiver
Squidget
4:37:18 am GMT 11/04/20
Squidget !
Registered Member #20 Joined: 8:30:40 am GMT 02/25/04
Player Name: Kira
In-game Login: Squidget
Time zone/Availability: Mostly US days/evenings and weekends, but available in the mornings on request or for specific scenes.
Narrative Interests: Dark fantasy, fear, conflict, villainy and heroism, musical numbers, hard choices and consequences, fairy tales. Steinkreis and Mora'chel are my favorite cities, but I've written much of the Thain setting lore and will happily play in any part of it if there is a good story to tell.

I'm the technical lead on the Thain team, and I handle most of the scripting and core systems design for the mod, so feel free to approach me with mechanics questions or suggestions. I'm also responsible for the various in-game player-tools (chat commands, scripted systems, etc), and most bug-squashing.

I do a little of everything - playing, building, and DMing, and have worked with all parts of the setting at some point. I favor the player client and tools, but I'll lean towards whatever will best suit the stories I want to tell. While I'm sometimes too busy with mod projects to do a lot of personalized DMing on request, I'm still happy to be approached with new stories and will jump in them anytime I see an opportunity.
Just Miggen
4:53:46 am GMT 11/04/20
Just Miggen 💅
Registered Member #463 Joined: 1:37:12 am GMT 03/10/05
Player Name: Sean
In-game Login: Miggen
Time zone/Avilability: Mostly US EST Mornings/Afternoons but enjoy scheduling events and can make certain evenings work
Discord: Miggen#4603

Narrative Interests: High/dark fantasy, episodic storytelling, rolling consequences, world building and setting development, heists and hijinks. There is no one spot of Thain I prefer to focus on and try to think of it as a big machine working in tandem to not only tell stories but set up for the next round of stories to tell.

Most of the work I contribute to Thain is building areas on the toolset and am excited when the island undergoes major changes, granted that usually locks me into the toolset for many hours and more often than not I find myself in the toolset and away from player/DM client. I like a dynamic world and want Thain to feel like it can be changed by any who participate in it and will usually approach changes to ask "how will this help develop the server's story as a whole?"

While I do get wrapped up in building side projects I get pretty excited when people approach me with ideas/stories and like to work through how that story should look. I don't want to write out a script (and think improv is what I excel at) but I do try to work towards a structure of what kind of story will be told instead of just letting it run wild. Please feel free to hit me up on discord and set up a time for me to help run a scene as a DM, that's where I've found I can utilize the client to best to help out the world and playerbase.

I am very big on having rolling consequences to your actions, and I see consequences as positive things! A living world should make you question if you're ready to throw yourself into the flames or look before you leap, and I want to encourage giving weight to actions before committing.

Inspirations: Long time DM in various games, I find episodic storytelling to be the most compelling and right fit my style on Thain. I grew up watching Joss Whedon classics like Buffy or Firefly. Game of Thrones and its ability to develop characters via consequence always comes to my mind, as well as books like Saga or The Fifth Season seem to speak to me as a storyteller. I want to see characters develop forward, never revert back.
Alanonas
12:59:35 pm GMT 11/04/20
Alanonas Registered Member #24078 Joined: 3:40:59 am GMT 05/14/17
Player Name: Alan
IG-Login: Alanonas
Discord: Alanonas #6747

Timezone/Availability: EST, variable times. Recently, I'm most open during daytime hours EST and at least one day on the weekend. I typically schedule large DM'd events on the weekend.

Narrative Interests: Small groups, faction events, personal stories/arcs, monster of the week, one-off's. I try to keep at least one ongoing plot for players to come and go as they like. I typically do not DM around any area/plot/NPC I have an active personal character involved in. I read all IC forum posts, even the ones that aren't my personal cup of tea and often respond IC to posts as NPC's.

I prefer dark fantasy, eldritch horror, scoundrel intrigue, grey areas, and choice-based stories with consequences rather than mechanical challenges in events. I have less interest in romance plots, social rp, and/or playing house.

I'm always open to entertain any plot proposals and use the DM client for collaborative story telling in these instances, but I do expect the player to bring something to the table in these situations.

Inspirations:: The Witcher, LoTR, GoT, H.P. Lovecraft, Dark Souls, Classic High Fantasy.
Oberon
11:15:28 am GMT 11/05/20
Oberon Registered Member #24214 Joined: 1:14:24 pm GMT 04/01/18
Player Name: Lenjy (Short from Lennart, thanks Miggen!)
IG-Login: Oberon
Discord: bear#6550

Timezone/Availability: Europe evenings, US mornings. Over the weekend or my days off I log on at very random times though, I’m often up late being a night owl and if anyone requests me to show up for a scene we can always schedule it to work out for both sides.

Narrative Interests: Monsters, knights, mercenaries, dark fantasy, random encounters, meaningful consequences and I enjoy well played comedic characters, or characters that find the line between comedy and dark fantasy I think that’s brilliant if done right.

I’ve always enjoyed video games and open world roleplaying games are my favorite, these past years more and more games come out with things like “random encounters” where an adventurer or the protagonist hears cries coming from the nearby forest or is ambushed by bandits, or worse and is presented with a choice if they want to investigate or move on. These encounters can also be more light hearted, like a goofy jester who has lost their hat or a little kobold who can’t find their way home. That is something I enjoy as a DM, sometimes short and sometimes longer seemingly random encounters that make the world feel more alive often with NPCs you might run into again one day and they will remember the last encounter they had with you.

Monsters! I like when people are afraid of truly gruesome monsters like werewolves, beholders, drow, etc.. It shouldn’t always matter how high their intimidation roll is, monsters are scary either way and while that doesn’t mean an adventurer would always run away from them, I don't think making inappropriate jokes while being eaten by a roper is the right reaction.

Knights! I absolutely love formal knights and medieval military style rp, it’s why I’m a big believer in the Blood Guard and try to create more BG encounters for folks around the island when I can. Sign up for Blood Guard today! I like to throw mercenaries here too, making an interesting mercenary character is so much fun to see.

Inspirations:: Game of Thrones, video games like the Witcher, Elder Scrolls, WoW, Divinity, Ultima.. Even some sci-fi games like Mass Effect or Fallout. I think you can find inspiration and ways to tell stories in any of them. I have roleplayed in a lot of different games over the years and I try to take inspirations from my past experiences too.
Cuchuwyn
5:37:05 am GMT 11/14/20
Cuchuwyn Registered Member #24041 Joined: 4:19:01 am GMT 01/24/17
IG-Login: Cuchuwyn

Discord: cuchuwyn#3760

Timezone/Availability: PST- my hours are fairly flexible for the most part, though I tend to prefer to do things later in the evening my time.

Narrative Interests: I run everything from big island-spanning plots to small one-or-two person narratives, depending on what I think the story calls for. My plots tend to be episodic and when they are over I generally consider that chapter of the plot done, at least for a while, and I move on to other things. I tend not to DM for factions I am heavily involved in as a player, beyond the occasional one-shot. My stories are often heavily choice-based, and especially in the longer narratives I try to give folks several inflection points where the story might go a different direction depending on what they choose. I try to DM for pretty much everyone to some extent or another, and regularly work with other DMs on joint events.

I'm influenced by all sorts of literature, everything from hard fantasy like LOTR or Kingkiller Chronicles to pulp stuff like Dresden Files or Mistborn, to classic literature like Dracula or Les Miserables. I very rarely watch TV or movies, so my influences there tend to be more limited, and beyond things that really break through (think things on the scale of Avatar: The Last Airbender, Howl's Moving Castle, or Game of Thrones) I probably haven't seen the movie/anime/tv show, especially if it is less than 5 years old.

I like to tell all kinds of stories, and don't really have a niche- my characters range from deal-making devils to monster hunting Svirfneblin to philandering druids who are getting to old for this, to emo ghost bards, and all sorts of other things. My DMing is much the same- I like to try to find where characters are trying to go and either help them out on that journey or at the very least offer them a new perspective on a goal.

Bio: I am the current Head Admin of Thain, which is a fancy way of saying I help run some of the back-end admin stuff, like keeping the forums relatively clean of spam, helping Squidget with troubleshooting issues from time to time, doing LETO requests, and helping to resolve player disputes, which is fortunately pretty rare. I also do a bit of building and a bit of scripting, but most of my time is spent in either the player or DM client.
Wraitheus
3:49:17 pm GMT 05/23/21
Wraitheus Registered Member #25299 Joined: 3:54:32 am GMT 06/03/19
Player Name: Michael

In Game Log-In: Nexus

Discord: Wraitheus

Time Zone / Availability:

I live beside the mountains close to Banff. So, I am Mountain Time! You can see me in game mostly in the late evenings on weekends or during the week throughout the day. Depending upon work. I’m easily flexible to find time for anyone that wishes to be part of my stories or vise versa. Just hit me with a message and let me know.

Narrative Interests:

I am highly versatile when it comes to interests. I try not to limit myself to one typical specification or another. I enjoy it all and find there is a lot of fun granted from any genre or style of roleplay. But if I had to pick some favorites? I really enjoy Dark-Fantasy. We live in a cruel world and if I want my protagonist to become a true hero, I want him to face true horrors. I enjoy hard choices, confrontations, and immersive roleplay. And especially team work. I’ve never known a hero that became that way alone. Real heros have a crutch that builds them up. Loners get killed, in my eyes.

I think making stories and adventures for people is one of my biggest enjoyments and hobbies. I love to see how my creations unfold. And I love it even more when people make it their own and adapt to them and even change the direction of the story with unexpected reactions and results! Which is why I lean more towards people who tell stories to be part of my stories. With that said, a lot of my encounters and events are improv. Nothing will ever work out according to what you script unless that’s your desire is to keep the crowd in a tunnel vision from point A to B. My stories are always changing and adaptive because the words are not set in stone until they are done through a scene.

Inspirations:

I think I gain my inspiration from music, more than anything. Put a good song on that fits the moment, and the next thing I know, I’ve managed to create something new. Outside that, I read too many books to consider any one my favorite. I find idea through many sources. History, movies, real life experiences (mostly), and meeting new people. Meeting people in my life helps me build identities for the characters I create

But most of all! My inspiration is you. The more you give, the more I take. Hah! Jokes of course. I meant to say give back… *Insert wink*
Forgiver
2:51:35 pm GMT 07/09/21
Forgiver Registered Member #25529 Joined: 3:52:11 pm GMT 10/09/20
Player Name: Adam

IG-Login: -Forgiver-

Discord: Sanguinius (Adam)#3541

Timezone/Availability: EST Evenings

Narrative Interests: Light-hearted, low-heroic, and paragon fantasy are my big draws to the fantasy genre -

Light Hearted: I don't mean Memey, Lolrandom, Trolly, OOC-y or Jokey, I more mean that opening scene in the Shire in the Lord of the Rings Concerning Hobbits. I think good fantasy narrative is all about contrast - powerful characters don't exist unless there are weak characters or weak moments (just think how great a dynamic Aragon traveling with Hobbits makes for). Dark spots just start to look samey on the narrative canvas if there's no quiet peaceful light hearted moments to offset their tone, and big quests don't feel important if all the quests are big. Some quests should be small, and light hearted, and give your PCs downtime to reflect on how far that they've come that small things like these feel odd to them after fighting a Shadowdragon just a month earlier. Small moments of reflection during quiet times in our lives are a big part of what make us human, after all.

Low Heroic: Tied into that, I really like small-guy stories and heroes that grow up into something unexpected or great - the character growth of a character into something heroic like Samwise or Bilbo in fantasy really brings me back to read those books annually. People who know me know I've started running a Low Level League in the last half-year, and I think one of the major draws to those types of stories is watching characters who do start out absolutely over their shoulders in deep water grow into their strengths and powers, rather than start life cosmic and dispatch things without effort. I've played both types of characters for a long time on a lot of different types of servers, and I think getting to do a very gradual rise into a character in LLL has been one of the most satisfying and enjoyable experiences I've had in any of them.

Paragon RP: I absolutely groove on a serious and grittier setting like Thain, and I think there's a ton of room for contrasting paragon stories of virtuous Paladins and knights or heroes standing against darkness and refusing to compromise in the face of destruction or impossible choices. If you can take Captain America forced to a knee holding up a broken half of a shield and bottle that somehow, you have eu de Forgiver. I'm not really as big on the "The Hero Falls" Storyline as a lot of people- I like "Hero Rising" storylines a lot more. People on a quest for redemption, or who want to overcome their weaknesses or past failings. Real life has a tendency to be easily moody and negative, and I like for fantasy to often be uplifting and encourage us put forward our best angels from time to time.

Inspirations: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Dresden Files, Lupin III, anything Studio Ghibli, Superman, Captain America, Avatar the Last Airbender, design elements from tons of video games from various genres including Last of Us I & II, God of War, Mass Effect Trilogy, Dragon Age Origins, League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, SW:TOR, Guild Wars 2
Corlupi
9:52:36 pm GMT 07/10/21
Corlupi Awooo
Registered Member #2942 Joined: 4:48:33 pm GMT 11/27/12
Player Name: Bernardino
IG-Login: Corlupi
Discord: Lupi#5588

Timezone/Availability: GMT+1, typically early mornings and late evenings.

Narrative Interests: I am probably mostly known for the Kinswar and the Great War campaigns, but I am equally comfortable telling small, personal stories. When I jump on the DM client, I normally do so for two reasons: to add depth to the server, and to help players grow their characters in meaningful ways. The latter is accomplished by prompting players to reflect on their role-play, and by challenging players with philosophical and moral questions that push the boundaries of their characters' comfort zones.

I lean toward grimdark fantasy. My narratives seldom involve comedy and light-hearted themes, and you will almost never find me telling romantic stories or partaking in social role-play; instead, I prefer to do choice-based stories characterised by some level of grittiness, grim wit, and the intention to subvert fantasy tropes like "good always wins the day."

DM Support: If you would like to exchange opinions and ideas for your character's growth (or concept and background, if you are looking to make a new character), or if you want inspiration and support for a specific direction you would like to head with your character, I am always open to dialogue.

Inspirations:: George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Mark Lawrence, Joe Abercrombie, Daniel Polanski.
1 2 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, scratch_flannigan, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, ChaoticDrow, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Wraitheus, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 25
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: zakor
  • Most ever online: 208
    Guests: 206, Members: 2 on Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 20:11:48
Now Playing
1. Percival Grinswold
2. Malaka Sako
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org