Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Shards
    Shards  2 months ago

Happy New Year!

• Edrick
    Edrick  2 months ago

Happy New Year all!

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

You the man thanks mate

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

There it is!

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

-Clickedy-

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

Anyone have the thain discord link, thankyou

• Payne
    Payne  5 months ago

Edrick... mad

• Edrick
    Edrick  5 months ago

Payne

• !ofAkindGuy2000
    !ofAkindGuy2000  5 months ago

Thanks.

• Glognar
    Glognar  5 months ago

There is! You need to examine the omnidye to find the info. I also think that there is still an error though in one of the numbers.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Music, Books, Films and TV
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Books!

first  2 3 4 5 
LAN_402 LAN_403
dontyouknow
7:33:16 pm GMT 09/18/10
dontyouknow Registered Member #1120 Joined: 4:36:33 am GMT 07/27/07
That was a charecter from Something Wicked This Way Comes, right?
calioun lightheart
9:29:22 pm GMT 09/18/10
calioun lightheart Registered Member #294 Joined: 7:00:31 am GMT 10/06/04
Seconding Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson although the series jumps between characters a bit much for some people. You have to read either a single book, or the whole series to truly understand the characters.

The Ender Series (or enders game) by Orson Scott Card always thought this was an interesting look at humanity and what we're capable of. Even if you don't like that, it's an awesome series.
Burning_Whisper
6:51:39 am GMT 09/19/10
Burning_Whisper Registered Member #807 Joined: 5:19:22 am GMT 07/05/06
I actually read the Vampire Diaries series. I did enjoy them more than the shoe on CW. I am also totally excited about the 5th book release coming soon
jewwe
3:30:36 pm GMT 09/19/10
jewwe faywood gard
Registered Member #1254 Joined: 12:11:43 pm GMT 02/06/08
Dragon Lance: Chronicles

Excellent series. Anyone who loves dragons and epic fantasy will enjoy these.

Oh dear.. Now comes the Warhammer 40k related book:

All of Gaunt's Ghosts (There are 5-6 of them)

Truly excellent series by Dan Abnett.

The Horus Heresy

Epic battles with power-armoured demi-gods known as Space Marines. It doesn't get much more epic than that.
I actually have no idea how many books are out yet, but there are alot. Each one features a different chapter of marines.

Ciaphas Cain : Hero of the Imperium

A rather humorous account of a commisar in the 40k universe. Really worth a read. It's an omnibus that collects the first 3 novels.

Eisenhorn also by Dan Abnett

It's a series that features an imperial inquisitor. It's stunningly dark. I love it!
barakka
5:00:20 pm GMT 09/19/10
barakka Registered Member #223 Joined: 3:05:42 am GMT 08/26/04
jewwe wrote ...

All of Gaunt's Ghosts (There are 5-6 of them)

Truly excellent series by Dan Abnett.

The Horus Heresy

Epic battles with power-armoured demi-gods known as Space Marines. It doesn't get much more epic than that.
I actually have no idea how many books are out yet, but there are alot. Each one features a different chapter of marines.

Ciaphas Cain : Hero of the Imperium

A rather humorous account of a commisar in the 40k universe. Really worth a read. It's an omnibus that collects the first 3 novels.

Eisenhorn also by Dan Abnett

It's a series that features an imperial inquisitor. It's stunningly dark. I love it!

I approve.

Horus Heresy is some 11-12 books long now, and deals with other branches of the Adeptus now as well as the Legio Astartes.

I also recommend the Ravenor trilogy, after reading the Eisenhorn books.

The Lies of Locke Lamorra, by Scott Lynch. Your untypical hero-type rolled into a bastard of a thief along with his hard-hitting sidekick against the terribly rich and terribly corrupt. It was an astonishingly good read.

The First Law Trilogy, by Joe Abercrombie. Starting with The Blade Itself. It plays well on the standard fantasy hero archetypes, but by the end of the show you find yourself reading characters that are far from what they originally appeared.
BlackNRose
3:01:38 pm GMT 09/20/10
BlackNRose Registered Member #1189 Joined: 1:04:10 am GMT 10/20/07
Sitting in a cubicle 8 to 12 hours a day, gives me a lot of time to read. =)

Some good reads lately have been these:

The Black Company Series: Glen Cook

They're fantastic books. Older, but making a great come back. They have epic battle scenes, and focus around a mercenary group with a couple of wizards who know how to have a good time.

The Dragonrealm Series: Richard A. Knaak

Again, an older series, yet very detailed and awesome to read. It's a great page turner.

Georgina Kincaid Series: Richelle Mead

It's about a succubus. More of the ladies, then the men.

mylittlepwny
3:32:10 am GMT 05/10/13
mylittlepwny Zesty Mordant
Registered Member #1223 Joined: 8:21:47 pm GMT 12/16/07
I had to bump this because of awesome. Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. It's technically about Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, but Mantel approaches it from the perspective of Thomas Cromwell, who she frames up as some kind of courtly badass. The plot is a hellbroth of suspense, intrigue, slick diplomacy, international politics, social climbing, persuade checks and low cunning. Mantel's magic is that even though you know the outcome, none of the characters do, and it all seems immediate, desperate, and frightening. She takes affirmed facts and fills in the gaps with delicious invention, in English so fresh and twisted it's almost like she created a new language. It's the sequel to Wolf Hall but it's yards better -- darker tone, tighter pacing, and you really get the sense of people trying to survive what is no longer just a royal affair, but large-scale national upheaval. I feel like there should be some sort of podium set up with an exhibit explaining "This is why authors win awards", and you could just pick any random page, because it's so meticulously constructed -- which words she uses and why, and what it tells you about each character and/or the plot. Genius. Driving With the Devil by Neal Thompson. The history of the United States (and Nascar) as pertaining to cars and whisky, as a mad assortment of hard-living Southerners deliver homebrewed spirits over unpaved mountain roads at night and at 100mph. I know nothing about either cars or Nascar and only the teeniest bit about US history and I'm still entertained -- it's just so completely bizarre, and even weirder is that it all actually happened and these are real people who exist(ed), in the 60-year suck that was Georgia after the Civil War. There's this great hacker-ish sense of car nerdery as well and I keep wondering why it's not a TV series. (Because TV would mess it up and fail to capture the vibe, which is sort of Top Gear-meets-Justified.) (That sounds ridiculous, but then so is Nascar so there you go.)
Yasmyn
6:17:50 pm GMT 05/11/13
Yasmyn FEAR the Moorhen of Death (tm).
Registered Member #26 Joined: 4:31:20 pm GMT 02/25/04
I don't see a mention for Pat Rothfuss here so I'll go ahead and throw him out there. He's taking forever to write the third book in the Kingkiller Chronicles, but The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear are just awesome books.

Also, Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series is pretty cool urban fantasy.
MetalTree
8:19:56 pm GMT 05/11/13
MetalTree arrivederci, megido
Registered Member #1403 Joined: 3:11:09 am GMT 02/26/09
It seems I never posted in this thread, which is weird because books are my lifeblood. This is going to be long.

Fantasy:

I just started reading A Song of Ice and Fire, and I heartily recommend it to everyone. (I'm managing to see past the extreme violence as it's wonderfully written.)

I'll also second the entire Dragonlance series; I own every single book written by Margret Weis in that series!

Obviously Forgotten Realms by R.A. Salvatore is worth a read if we're talking high fantasy (As well as Lord of the Rings, of course, but Tolkien gets kind of drone-y), however, I'd super-recommend the Sellswords trilogy, which is about Entreri and Jarlaxle, rather than the eight thousand books on Drizzt. I enjoyed the characters and the action much more than the main series.

I'll put Mythology by Edith Hamilton here as well. I hate Hamilton with most of my heart's rage because of the way she writes (it's like listening to a stuck-up professor), but her book is one of the best sources of Mythology - she gives you the best, most complete versions of the stories. Most of it is greek/roman, and there's a Norse blurb near the end.

I also recommend Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, and every sequel made to the book. It started off as a novel-version of the Grimm's Fairy tale (same title as the book), which is beautiful by the way, and grew into a whole nother fantasy world of Hale's creation. I will warn you, it is pretty sappy and princess-y, though there is a good bit of action. Don't try it if you're not ready to swoon for princes, though.

Along with that, I strongly recommend Grimm's Fairy Tales in general. Just get ready for some messed-up stuff. Disney really REALLY sugarcoats the stories.

Harry Potter is still one of my favorite series, but it's more of a nostalgia thing. The books themselves, on a read-through, are actually kind of horrendously written. :/

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Technically teen fiction, but it's set in a dystopian post-America world. It's really great, and has lots of action (though some pansy girl stuff in there, too).

Don't read Twilight. Trust me.

There's some other stuff I can't remember right now. Moving on!

Fiction:

FIRST AND FOREMOST. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This book is incredible, and one of my favorites ever. Read anything by Zusak, he's fantastic. The Book Thief is heart-wrenching, I warn you. It takes place during the holocaust and centers around a young fostered polish girl - it sounds bad, I know, but I PROMISE YOU it's good. It's told from the perspective of Death. Yup, like the Grim Reaper.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon. One of the most amusing books I've ever read - it's told from the point of view of an autistic genius kid, and it has graphs and charts and little illustrations. It's one of the most surprising books I've ever read (I expected it to be terrible, and I couldn't put it down for hours).

Maus I and II by Art Spiegelman. Graphic novels, technically, I know, but THEY'RE SO WORTH IT. Art illustrates and tells the story of his father who was in the holocaust (in auschwitz). Sounds terrible, yes, but it's worth a read if you want to know what it was like without completely crushing your soul - it's quite funny at parts. All the jews are mice, germans cats, poles cows, french frogs, american dogs, etc. The art is also great.

The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer. I found this book by chance at a goodwill. It's actually a bit vulgar at some bits, but is very well-written and absolutely heart-breaking.

If you ever want to brush up on sassy comebacks and ridiculous sayings, Shakespeare can be a lot of fun to read if you don't take his plays seriously. A Midsummer Night's Dream is my favorite, by The Tempest and The Taming of the Shrew are also very good.

Dracula by Bram Stoker. Classic cliche, I know, but it's good.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It's about a mentally retarded patient that undergoes brain surgery and "becomes a genius". REALLY worth the read.

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit. I haven't read this one in a while, but I remember it being really beautiful.

Anything by Neil Gaiman, but Stardust is my absolute favorite. The movie is nice, but it does Neil absolutely NO FAVORS. The book is awesome in a quirky, other-worldly way.

There's lots of cute teeny fiction I could recommend as well, but you guys don't really seem like that kind of crowd so I'll go over it quickly:

Anything by John Green, particularly Looking For Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines (hilarious), and The Fault in Our Stars (painful, so painful). John Green is really insightful and a hilarious, fantastic writer. I love him as a person as well, a lot of you may know him from his youtube channel with his brother, you should check it out. It's called vlog brothers or something. Leaving Jetty Road by Rebecca Burton. It's an interesting story, but it's not very gripping, and kind of sad. Very nice statement on teens in this era, though. The Perks of Being a Wallflowerby Stephen Chbosky. Recently made into a fantastic movie, one of the best teen fiction books around right now. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous is a really powerful book about teens and drugs. It's kind of scary, actually, but it's an interesting read. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. The movie doesn't do it much justice, it's a pretty heart-warming story about a kid going through depression. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Leviathan. It's a joint book, each chapter written by one author (as each of the N's), which is something Leviathan is known for doing. It's one of my favorite books, and the movie is PHENOMENALLY funny. Anything by Courtney Summers (her books are very grown-up and not sappy at all, which I love) particularly Cracked Up To Be, Some Girls Are, and Fall For Anything.

Non-fiction:

I don't read much of this stuff, but I love How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. If you have social issues, this is a great one. Also, it's a good book for parents, even if it's not quite about parenting!

Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton is extremely interesting.

I mostly get non-fiction stuff from lectures and documentaries, so this list is kind of short. Sorry!

Sorry for how long this got, hopefully you all check out the good books you haven't heard of on this list. There are so many books I love but I can't even remember all of them. I think I read too much. : -P

Edit: Also adding any poetry by Shel Silverstein, particularly The Giving Tree. It's not just for children.

Also a lot of medieval writing in general is very good, particularly the epic poems. Can't think of any names off the top of my head, though.

Second edit: Technically not a book, but one of the greatest pieces of prose I have ever read in my entire life, and it's all written in second person. It's a webcomic called Homestuck, by Andrew hussie. Every page is a panel and text, and sometimes with conversations with between two characters (that can run pretty long), and every once in a while there is an animated flash sequence or gifs or interactive java games. It's over 6000 pages long now, so it's a REALLY long read, but it's extremely worth it. Fantastic story, fantastic characters, and extremely hilarious. I'd peg it somewhere between fantasy and sci-fi, though it's really hard to explain. It's basically about four kids that enter a game called SBURB after meteors start falling on Earth and they're told the only way to stop it is to play the game. There are over 50 main characters, technically. The beginning is a little silly and full of inventory shenanigans like old school games, but if you wait until about Act 3 (the first few acts go by quickly!) it gets fast-paced and adventure-y. If you try ANYTHING on this list, make it be this.
mylittlepwny
4:53:24 am GMT 03/21/14
mylittlepwny Zesty Mordant
Registered Member #1223 Joined: 8:21:47 pm GMT 12/16/07
Bump for "anything by Lyndsay Faye". (Even Dust and Shadow, which I thought would be intolerable given the premise but is actually done really, really well.)
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 33
  • Members: 1
  • Newest Member: Heisenbeast
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
1. Dmitry Ahlefeldt
2. Elvalith Nain
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org