Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  1 day ago

Section Six starts in about 1 hour and 20 minutes . That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

Good(ish) characters of LEVEL 11 or below.

We will meet at the Iron Minogon in Webster's Landing. Just assume that your character received a mysterious invitation.

I will be IG as Taran if you have any questions!

• Raven1210
    Raven1210  1 day ago

Hello Yasmyn! grin

• Squidget
    Squidget  2 days ago

No worries Yas, PMs have been busted on the forums for ages, we just use Discord now. Hello!

• Yasmyn
    Yasmyn  2 days ago

Hey all. Trying to send a PM but failing. Would like to say hey current DMs. And sorry.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  1 week ago

Section Six starts in 1 about hour. That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

We will meet at the Iron Minogon in Webster's Landing. Just assume that your character received a mysterious invitation.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 weeks ago

Section Six starts in 1 about hour. That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

• animosomina
    animosomina  2 weeks ago

Welcome to Thain friend.

• Gwondier
    Gwondier  2 weeks ago

Thanks Zhymm! I'm in.

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 weeks ago

Here's an invite code to the Thain Discord server

-Clickedy-

Discord codes usually expire fairly quickly. So, use it ASAP.

Most Thain players use it for text messages, posting screenshots and RL topics. Rarely for voice comms, I can recall only one instance in the past two years in which I got a fellow player to join me in its voice channel.

Good luck,

Old Man Zhymm

• Gwondier
    Gwondier  2 weeks ago

I understand there's a discord channel for the server. I've looked around, but can't find it. Can that be stickied if so? If not, would like a link, please.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Major General
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Origin/Meaning of Your Username?

LAN_402 LAN_403
Corlupi
8:44:28 pm GMT 05/20/21
Corlupi Awooo
Registered Member #2942 Joined: 4:48:33 pm GMT 11/27/12
Cor lupī = wolven heart
GearsOfMadness
9:57:15 pm GMT 05/20/21
GearsOfMadness Clockwork Madness
Registered Member #1485 Joined: 8:44:37 pm GMT 10/23/09
Over the years, I've had a few. Started when I was like ... 10. Just slamming through various account names on whatever game I played at the time and couldn't decide. Come to NwN, really liked Jaded Prophets. Kind of symbolic, in the sense that I have great intuition (naysayers be damned) and for a long time, was a bit aimless.

Though the name didn't flow in a way I found aesthetically pleasing. I'm the same way with character names. A bit why, sometimes I'll completely abandon a character if the name doesn't flow for me after creation. Also why earlier characters I had would go through name changes. Just never was satisfied with whatever account name I tried.

/Eventually/ I came upon GearsOfMadness in 2009, which stuck. Gears, because I like to tinker on things and like time/clock based themes. Madness, for the same reasons, though a different attribute, and sometimes stuff I do is taken as fringe. Haha. So together, it works well. Also, it's a reference to the Castlevania clock tower. A place where there's just an endless number of enemy units, epic music, and fast reaction time.

Here's a link to Symphony of the Night's version of the song!

-Clickedy-
Zhymm
5:25:00 pm GMT 05/21/21
Zhymm Registered Member #191 Joined: 2:06:27 pm GMT 07/31/04
Where did the name "Zhymm" come from? It's a long story ...

Back in 1998, with the encouragement of some of my students, I began spending some time playing MUDs - text based (using telnet, ZMUD, JMC) online multiplayer persistent world games, usually based on some DnD theme. Choose a class (warrior, rogue, cleric, mage, etc.) and level it up via PvE or PVP. My favourite was a MUD called "Act of War" (AoW) - a team based PvE/PvP world. Three (sometimes four) 'kingdoms' or sides/clans.

I was also into Jimmy Buffett and his music at the time, so my player name(s) reflected that influence. My first player name was "Parrothead". As you can imagine that name caught a lot of derision. Most MUD players were not familiar with Jimmy B. or that nickname for his fans. So, I abandoned that player name.

But I wanted to keep some connection between my player name and Jimmy Buffett. One of his nicknames was JB. I took off of that and came up with "Jimbo". But I thought that name was a bit silly or juvenile. I decided to substitute a combination of letters for the 'J' that phonetically has a similar sound. J phonetically is /dʒ/ -Clickedy- and zh phonetically is /ʒ/ -Clickedy- ... not too dissimilar. So, Zhimbo was born (1998) and I used that for a bit on AoW. In fact, I still use it today in some other online games.

Now, AoW would periodically have a 'reset' when its administrators would add things to the code for the MUD (i.e. new map areas, character classes, spells, etc.) And with a reset players would have to restart their characters, levelling them up as a new character. On AoW getting a new character 'leveled up' via PvE to a point where it was competitive for PVP did not take long. So, resets weren't much of a problem for the players. And the leveling process itself was fun to do, much like NwN is today.

After one particular reset in 2000 I changed 'Zhimbo' to 'Zhymm'. I felt Zhymm was a bit more unique and didn't sound as silly.. And I've been using that player name in online games ever since. At one time I even considered getting a vanity plate for my car with the name.

OMZ

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, jewwe, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 33
  • Members: 1
  • Newest Member: Vaeldara
  • Most ever online: 208
    Guests: 206, Members: 2 on Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 20:11:48
Now Playing
1. Gunn Dommon
2. Alugast Dy'Nodel
3. Janelle Briarwood
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org