Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Forgiver
    Forgiver  15 hours ago

Yeah - both of those are just byproducts of my old-man eyes not seeing well from the toolset and thinking there was a path down from those ledges that there turned out to not be. There's also a bug with a pitfall in one part of the dungeon Blue told me about that is a similar "Stuck" point. I got one fixed last night, but never heard of or saw the second one until now. I'll get it fixed when I get home tonight!

• Dogbert
    Dogbert  16 hours ago

Forgiver, my dude. Falling into the gap on the way TO the dungeon is AWFUL. One good change today, not requiring a jump or a portal to even enter the zone, A+. But now if you fall (even if roped, because it doesn't actually work), you get stuck in an area you can't leave without a jump or portal.

• C_McG
    C_McG  2 days ago

Fun!

After years of saying I wanted to get a telescope my wife made the "mistake" of buying me a 102 f/12.7 Orion Maksutov-Cassegrain. Love it for planetary and brighter deep-sky viewing so far.

Of course that just made the bug worse and want to get a larger scope for viewing fainter objects.

So I am curious what other use.

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 days ago

Working telescopes (atm): old Celestron C8 SCT I purchased back in 1979, new Celestron OmniXLT 150 6" f/5 Newtonian, cheapo Meade 90mm f/8.8 refractor sniped off of eBay for $30 (these three I use on a Celestron AVX mount). Also a homebuilt 10" Dobsonian put together in 2010 and a homebuilt 6" Newtonian I made in H.S. c. 1966. Main imaging camera (atm) is a Canon 60D DSLR. The new camera is the SVBony SV305 Pro - plan to use it as a guide camera and for moon/planetary imaging.

• C_McG
    C_McG  4 days ago

What telescopes do you have? And camera?

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  4 days ago

I'll likely miss Section Six tonight. Got a new camera for my telescopes and it looks like the sky will be clear. So, I'll be outside doing astrophotography stuff.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  4 days ago

Oh! I will be IG as Tarok tonight instead of Sol!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  4 days ago

Section Six will take place at 7pm CDT (-5GMT) tonight, which is an hour later than last week.

We will meet in the Iron Minogon. Good(ish) type characters of level SEVEN or below ! Just assume your character got a mysterious letter inviting them there !

• Squidget
    Squidget  1 week ago

They receive the DC benefit from items, but not from spell foci, since alchemist gas clouds are not spells. They also don't receive the bonus from the wild magic robe specifically since gas clouds can't wild magic.

• Dogbert
    Dogbert  1 week ago

Are alchemists' clouds affected by spell focus/GSF or items/enchants that increase spell save DCs?

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Major General
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Origin/Meaning of Your Username?

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
dontyouknow
9:19:32 pm GMT 05/19/21
dontyouknow Registered Member #1120 Joined: 4:36:33 am GMT 07/27/07
So how’d y’all come by your username? As for me, I always liked the band Bad Company.

-Clickedy-
Jandari
9:48:47 pm GMT 05/19/21
Jandari Registered Member #1320 Joined: 10:38:49 pm GMT 06/23/08
Jandari was the name of an elven minstrel on the cover of a dragon magazine in the early 80s. It, then, became my first elven warrior character in 2nd Ed D and D....and now.. here we are.
Raven1210
10:33:44 pm GMT 05/19/21
Raven1210 Jungle Law Enforcerer
Registered Member #1180 Joined: 7:46:29 am GMT 10/05/07
Raven because, well I like ravens as birds. Unfortunately "Raven" is always taken, so I added my day of birth 12th October (1210).

Not very poetic nor creative, but hey they are really smart birds! grin
Shade
11:06:51 pm GMT 05/19/21
Shade Registered Member #24916 Joined: 2:58:00 pm GMT 01/23/19
Ravens are lovely.

Dracswell is a running character name that as been with me since my early teens, and Shade is a recurring one and a long time favorite. Since it is what people know me as, it is what I chose for my forum name.
Alanonas
1:22:18 am GMT 05/20/21
Alanonas Registered Member #24078 Joined: 3:40:59 am GMT 05/14/17
Alanon from the Shannara series! Also my real name is Alan.
Vaeltava
2:14:37 am GMT 05/20/21
Vaeltava Registered Member #1761 Joined: 10:05:21 pm GMT 10/13/11
I hated the idea of sharing a username with anyone on the internet, so I kept changing mine from site to site. Then one day, I realized I could never achieve one all my own, but I could at least have one unique on English-speaking sites.

I got on Google translate and tried a dozen names in a dozen languages. The one I liked best was Vaeltava Mieli, which is what I got from translating Wandering Mind into Finnish.

No idea if it's grammatically correct or translates well, but I've had it over ten years now and have no desire to change it, despite the name's meaning.
Cuchuwyn
2:30:47 am GMT 05/20/21
Cuchuwyn Registered Member #24041 Joined: 4:19:01 am GMT 01/24/17
Mine is an intentional misspelling of the Irish hero Cú Chulainn from the Irish epic the Táin Bó Cúailnge. I took an Irish literature class in college that exposed me to the story for the first time and the name stuck around in my head.

If I hadn't been Cuchuwyn, I'd probably have been some version of Agamemnon from the Iliad/Odyssey because that name too has just stuck in my head for years.
Forgiver
3:09:50 am GMT 05/20/21
Forgiver Registered Member #25529 Joined: 3:52:11 pm GMT 10/09/20
So long before I played RP servers I played on really hardcore anything goes PVP servers and I had a different username. One of those servers was a haven for the absolute griefiest, meme-iest, most over the top PVP you could find. In addition to unstructured guild PVP, there came to be a structured PVP format of regularly held tournaments. Winning one got you a choice of a meme weapon, and there were dozens to pick from. They all did really silly stuff, it was just a pat on the back for a job well done and a weirdo encouragement system for building fringe builds to use them.

I won one and picked the "Forgiver" shortsword, which had On-Hit Flesh to Stone (Level 1) and On-Hit Stone to Flesh (Level 10). As any builder today could tell you (but none of us realized back then) weapons only trigger the first on-hit spell on them. So it was actually a vaguely useful weapon because the meme part of it was bugged. Still, the save DC was 14 on a server where the average fortitude was in the 40s to prevent Dev crit death... so no one cared about the sword. I set out to make a hardcore abuse case for my baby... I worked out a build (38 Wizard / 1 Ranger / 1 SD) that would Mords an opponent and then just constantly HIPS them, hitting them over and over with the sword until they rolled a 1. Could you have killed the person in the time it took to make them roll that 1? Yes. But on servers not called Thain, Flesh to Stone is permanent until someone kills you, stone to fleshes you, or the server resets. So "getting" someone with this tactic meant they had to relog that character until the next server reset.

It was a hilariously effective tactic in unstructured PVP where there were no rules and the sides constantly changed... and one night I got this absolutely sublime screenshot where everyone in my PVP zone was a statue as a result of it.

[ image disabled ]

The character had a whole host of other obnoxious options - epic trap access through ranger, typical HIPS tactics, super high Hide / MS, the standard compliment of mage spells like maximized IGMs... it ended up dominating the next two months of structured tournaments and spawning a ton of spin-offs. No one could win a tournament to get their own Forgiver because I kept winning them and hording the prizes, and there were multiple threads on the forums about "How to beat the Forgiver Build?". It was just a lot of fun.

When I left PVP servers, I was really burned out on PVP and the people in that scene, but the Gamespy lobby was still around and I didn't want people to follow me to RP servers and shit them up with their griefy cringey PVP stuff... it's the kind of thing they would do. So I switched usernames, but I kept the name "Forgiver" as a trophy.
Blue_
3:49:36 am GMT 05/20/21
Blue_ Registered Member #25414 Joined: 5:49:38 am GMT 02/06/20
I really, really like the color blue. I think the word is fun and I like how it looks. In particular - I like the color code #4169e1 -- it's a nice royal blue!
Omedoom
6:13:05 pm GMT 05/20/21
Omedoom Registered Member #24486 Joined: 11:40:46 am GMT 06/28/18
Omedoom is a twist given by another player from my old WoW character's name "Omeden" which in turn was just something I heard and misspelled from some japanese word.

My loginname "Blackcell" for secondhand embarrasment was initially just a placeholder to see how the multiplayer works in NWN:EE, but originally it was the name of my drider character when I played oldschool NWN as a 16-year old. I decided to keep it for nostalgic reasons in the end.
1 2 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, scratch_flannigan, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, ChaoticDrow, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Wraitheus, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 41
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: zakor
  • Most ever online: 208
    Guests: 206, Members: 2 on Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 20:11:48
Now Playing
1. Sae-l�r
2. Lucuphus Iulussus Illandrious
3. Beliah
4. Malaka Sako