Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 days ago

Section Six starts in 1.75 hours. That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

Good(ish) characters of LEVEL 10 or below.

We will meet at the Iron Minogon in Webster's Landing. Just assume that your character received a mysterious invitation.

I will be IG as Taran if you have any questions!

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  1 week ago

Happy Turkey Day (i.e.Thanksgiving Day) to all our US players. And Happy Thursday to all others!

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 weeks ago

Uh, what happened to my message? Two paragraphs now random impulses across the interwebs ...

Take care, Scratch.

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 weeks ago

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 weeks ago

RL calls me away from Section Six tonight, folks! sad

Should any of you want to go ahead and run it, please feel free to do so! smile

• Crayzee4dnd
    Crayzee4dnd  3 weeks ago

Sam and Hugdish's wedding will begin in about 4 hours from this post. Yay!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  3 weeks ago

Section Six starts in 2 hours. That will be 7pm CDT (GMT - 5).

Good(ish) characters of LEVEL 9 or below.

This week will be a bit different, with time being "frozen" at the end of the last event.

There will be a portal in the Iron Minogon that will take your character to the very start of the Temple level in the Yuan Ti caves.

If you did not join last week, that is perfectly ok. Just assume that you caught up with us like we do whenever someone shows up late.

If your character has never been on a section six mission, you can assume that you stumbled on us while exploring !

It is a little unorthodox, but we will make it all work! biglaugh

I will be IG as Taran if you have any questions!

• Squidget
    Squidget  3 weeks ago

Edrick and Vae in the same day? heart suprised

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  3 weeks ago

Hello Edrick and Vae!

• Oberon
    Oberon  3 weeks ago

Seeing you here makes my heart smile! heart

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Major General
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Aspiring Authors

1 2 3 4  last
LAN_402 LAN_403
Vaeltava
5:45:42 pm GMT 04/08/18
Vaeltava Registered Member #1761 Joined: 10:05:21 pm GMT 10/13/11
I like writing. I've gotten opportunities to exercise my love of writing in a lot of ways, in recent years, but my dream is to write novels for a living. It's a lofty goal, I know, but I don't think I'd be satisfied with anything else.

I've got a ~90,000 word novel centered on a young Acanthus that I need to spend a lot more time editing, but the mood to edit comes along only so often. Much more frequent is the mood to write; lately, I've been working on something centered on Garagnavagh.

If anyone's interested in reading something, here's a link to a Google doc for the Garagnovel I'll try to keep updated as I work on it.

Garagnovel Parts 1-50

Garagnovel Parts 51-76

Garagnovel Parts 77+

This is the Discord I have for the Gnovel. If you're enjoying the book, planning on reading it, or have any interest at all, feel free to join!

Garagnovel Discord

Apologies if you find the parts to be short. There's a reason I didn't call them chapters. smile

Up so far:
Parts 1-83

Wentz
AlanaTheWitch
11:53:58 pm GMT 04/08/18
AlanaTheWitch Registered Member #24219 Joined: 1:38:38 am GMT 04/08/18
That is awesome! Don't give up on your dreams of writing. Someone has to do it right? Why not you? I look forward to giving this a read. Work is suppose to slow down in a couple of weeks so Ill have some more free time for gaming, netflix, and reading. AND maybe even lying to myself about going to the gym.
Vaeltava
4:11:06 pm GMT 04/10/18
Due to a forum bug, I don't seem to be able to update the first post in this thread. Instead, I am editing this post, which originally was the update for part 4 of the Garagnovel. Which is available.

I like to write and I do so frequently. Whenever I have a free moment, I usually have my phone out and I'm typing away at one project or another. My most complete works are a novel about my wizard, Acanthus -- currently in its third draft -- and a longer novel about Garagnavagh, dubbed the Garagnovel. The Acanthus novel is not available to be read, but the Garagnovel is available here, in its current form, from the beginning up to the current, incomplete point.

Since our community is bound to have newcomers to it, I want to mention a few things here. The Garagnovel's setting and several of its characters are obviously inspired by Thain, but do not borrow from its lore and it is not set in Thain. Parallels such as Raven's Watch/Crow's Vigil or Feywood/Faye's Forest are meant as homage, not commentary or interpretation. The Garagnovel began as a fun project about a character I enjoy playing; since Garagnavagh was a direct result of Thain and its setting, anything I write about him must, by necessity, bear some resemblance to it.

Thank you to everyone who has read, will read, or is reading my work. I appreciate your time and interest very much! I am on Thain's Discord and I am always happy to receive questions or comments about the Garagnovel or anything else, regardless of how much time I can devote to time in-game.

With love,
Vaeltava

As of Part 87, the Garagnovel is 148,722 words long. For perspective, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is 168,923 words long.
Vaeltava
7:59:26 pm GMT 04/10/18
Update: Part Five
Vaeltava
5:40:40 pm GMT 04/11/18
Update: Part Six
Vaeltava
5:34:37 pm GMT 04/16/18
Update: parts seven and eight
Squidget
6:01:08 pm GMT 04/16/18
Squidget !
Registered Member #20 Joined: 8:30:40 am GMT 02/25/04
These are cool! The world needs more gnoll-fiction.
Vaeltava
7:19:04 pm GMT 04/16/18
I've had a few people tell me they're enjoying Garagnavagh's book, so I'm gonna take this opportunity to thank everyone who's been reading or interested at all! Thank you!
Davenutninja1
8:29:00 pm GMT 04/16/18
Davenutninja1 Registered Member #1553 Joined: 10:14:34 am GMT 03/11/10
These are fantastic!
Kyssyt
10:53:23 pm GMT 04/16/18
Kyssyt Registered Member #1273 Joined: 2:56:54 pm GMT 03/23/08
That's great.

I've been writing too, since I played on Thain before. I won't appropriate your thread I'll post about it elsewhere - but the quality of some of the writing on this site inspired me.

This Garagnavagh stuff is really good, totally what I mean. Thank you.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, jewwe, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 40
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: EmeliaWaller
  • Most ever online: 208
    Guests: 206, Members: 2 on Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 20:11:48
Now Playing
1. Malarahc
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org