Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 days ago

Section Six starts in 1.75 hours. That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

Good(ish) characters of LEVEL 10 or below.

We will meet at the Iron Minogon in Webster's Landing. Just assume that your character received a mysterious invitation.

I will be IG as Taran if you have any questions!

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  1 week ago

Happy Turkey Day (i.e.Thanksgiving Day) to all our US players. And Happy Thursday to all others!

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 weeks ago

Uh, what happened to my message? Two paragraphs now random impulses across the interwebs ...

Take care, Scratch.

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 weeks ago

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 weeks ago

RL calls me away from Section Six tonight, folks! sad

Should any of you want to go ahead and run it, please feel free to do so! smile

• Crayzee4dnd
    Crayzee4dnd  3 weeks ago

Sam and Hugdish's wedding will begin in about 4 hours from this post. Yay!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  3 weeks ago

Section Six starts in 2 hours. That will be 7pm CDT (GMT - 5).

Good(ish) characters of LEVEL 9 or below.

This week will be a bit different, with time being "frozen" at the end of the last event.

There will be a portal in the Iron Minogon that will take your character to the very start of the Temple level in the Yuan Ti caves.

If you did not join last week, that is perfectly ok. Just assume that you caught up with us like we do whenever someone shows up late.

If your character has never been on a section six mission, you can assume that you stumbled on us while exploring !

It is a little unorthodox, but we will make it all work! biglaugh

I will be IG as Taran if you have any questions!

• Squidget
    Squidget  3 weeks ago

Edrick and Vae in the same day? heart suprised

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  3 weeks ago

Hello Edrick and Vae!

• Oberon
    Oberon  3 weeks ago

Seeing you here makes my heart smile! heart

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The Shape of Magic

1 2 3 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Cuchuwyn
2:38:53 am GMT 11/14/20
Cuchuwyn Registered Member #24041 Joined: 4:19:01 am GMT 01/24/17
10th of Ches, seventeen days from my departure.

Dear Selwyn,

I write this missive to you safely ensconced within a lovely little inn known colloquially as the "Trade and Tackel", so named for the surnames of its proprietors, one Bence Trade, and one Donale Tackel, the former of whom was apparently recently killed in some bad business with some dragonborn ruffians, a story told to me around the campfire outside with more than a few glances over the shoulder to the moonlit gravestone, high upon a hill overlooking the inn. But I shall come back to this in time.

The journey hence was as smooth as could be, given the circumstances. I made my way to the Tailor's Docks at the eighth bell as discussed, boarding the Shanty, a two-masted brigatine carrying, among other things, fine cloth and dyes to points north, and bringing in return worked metal objects and gemstones. I bargained with the captain, offering him quite a large sum, I thought, to take a day out of his way to set me down upon the Island of Thain, and so the deal was struck. The passage was made in a tenday, and by the eleventh I stood dry on the docks of this most mysterious isle, the rumors of which, I need hardly tell you, fire the imaginations of half the staff of the Waterdavian academy.

Thus far I have found the isle to be uncommonly pretty. The spring growth hangs upon its branches and the grass and flowers have begun to sally forth from their winter nests. The geography, from what little I have seen, is reminiscent of a great coastal plain, with numerous small streams wending their way from the mountain ranges in the center of the isle. As I have arrived at the eastern shore, I am told roughly half way between the northern and southern coasts, I have thus far seen only a little of those mountains, or indeed anything that might lie beyond them.

I have, however, made one voyage which I shall tell you of presently. In the north of the island, there was said to be a rather famed clothier, and so, making use of a system of caravans all run by the same family, a sturdy breed known as the Aerlson clan, I ventured north. The roads are moderately rutted, of a piece with many of the roads on the outskirts of our native Waterdeep, and after a day of jostling, I found myself let out in a rather different environ. No spring was evident here, and I rather doubt whether it ever is, for the snow fell hard and thick, and lay nearly to my shins as I trod into the village. I located the clothier with little difficulty, and soon ordered a fine new set of garb in the local fashion, though it set me back rather dearly, and I may yet have to find a way to raise further funds.

Allow me to illuminate you as to the necessity of this. As I sat down to table for a meal of the local Rothe stew, a meal quite filling, if somewhat gamey, a rather charming young woman named Miss Everguard spoke to me of my work. She is a young performer, with a fine voice, and I met her upon the road into town, where she had quite charmed an icy bear to her side with it. Sensing a strange bit of magic afoot, I introduced myself to her and her companion, one Madam Ty'lara, and soon we all made our way into the village (the bear, by the by, grew weary of our company eventually, and returned to its den).

In any case, the young Miss Everguard told me a tall tale- and I hope you will forgive my awful pun, but it was a tale of giants. She claimed that in ages past, they built an entire civilization on this isle, and that it was quite the equal to anything we smaller folk have ever done. Sensing my doubt, or perhaps because she simply wished to share her find with another seeker, she challenged the pair of us, Madam Ty'lara and I that is, to follow her north of town. This we did, and I will not trouble you with the efforts I made to overcome the rather tall wall of solid stone which rings the town.

In any case, soon we found ourselves in a large cavern, and within, statues of such size and proportion they could only have been made by and of giants. But there is more! On these statues was carved runes, runes that were similar enough to the ones on the mainland that between the three of us, we were able to translate them, more or less. They spoke of a hunting ground ahead, through a tunnel that was blocked off completely by ice and stone. This rather unfortunate discovery had the effect of ending our little sojourn, but my good man, I have never seen such sculpture- the elves of the Evereska could not have matched their art, I am quite convinced. It certainly lends credence to the young Lady's tale of a giant race of yore.

And so I have made plans to return, and to venture forth with a party in order to observe the remnants of these giants, to see if there is anything to be learned from them. I am quite convinced that our frost giants in Faerun are of a lesser branch of this mighty tree, though how the individuals here, cut off as they are from all other giantish culture, have prospered, I can only guess. But it may be a clue, dear man, the first step in uncovering what we have both sought for decades now. I shall report to you my findings as soon as I am able.

Your Devoted Friend,
Bamaeus

P.S. I have several times now encountered Master Delacroix upon this island as well. His experiments progress much as before.
Cuchuwyn
12:34:03 am GMT 11/25/20
20th of Ches, twenty-seven days from my departure,

To the esteemed Halgyr Brightfoot, chair of the department of experimental magic, Waterdavian Academy:

Halgyr,

I write to you to detail a recent expedition I have undertaken on the island of Thain. As you know, I sought to travel to this island to investigate the rumors of strange and inexplicable happenings there. I was skeptical at first, as is of course natural in such researchers as yourself and myself, but I must confess a newfound wonder for this place. I enclose as part of this report a portion of a letter I have written to Selwyn, detailing the impetus for embarking upon this expedition, which you will find appended to the bottom of this missive. Let me then waste no more time in exposition, but instead detail the means and methods, as well as the results.

Myself and two others set out from the Ice and Fang Inn toward what I had been assured was the land of the frost giants upon this isle. My companions were the Estimable Miss Nicolette Everguard, of whom you will read a more complete introduction in the appended letter, and a local man hired on as the guide, a Mister Ban De-Bar, a man we soon found to be both a scholar and a warrior, and whose character and courage saw us safely through several sticky spots. Our first destination was a remarkable valley some distance west of the village, where numerous waterfalls create truly astonishing feats of light- a place, in short, of color and brightness even the gloom of night cannot fully diminish. It is here that I had arranged previously to have supplies left for the journey. Due to the nature of the locale, it was only possible to travel during the day, and as such, I arranged for a good quantity of food, as well as tents, flint and tinder, bedrolls, furs, cloaks, and other such necessities as we might need. We made our first meal here, and I was delighted to find that Miss Everguard had brought along a small container of spices, which I had quite forgotten, and which greatly raised our spirits in cooking not just that night, but at all meals hence.

We set off early the next morning, keen to get a start, and with only light snowfall, we proceeded north by northeast. We found our first giant sightings before the end of the day, and used several potions of invisibility I had procured for the group to sneak as close as we dared, overhearing only a snippet of conversation before we were forced to retreat. What we overheard warmed us with excitement, despite the wind, which had picked up by now and was blowing rather fiercely. We found a cave system, and, once we had defeated a few mephits which had taken up residence (Mr. De-Bar showing for the first time, but not the last, his skill in combat), we made a rather cozy campfire, around which we discussed what we had heard, namely that the giants were heading north- toward some sort of ritual site. This seemed to track with what we knew of their culture, and so we proposed to follow them in the morning.

The next morning came sooner than I think any of us expected, but we gamely broke camp and followed the cave system further north, as it seemed to be the only way to progress. Soon though we heard a low growl, and from a darkened recess, a large cave cat stalked out, eyes hungry and with fangs as long as a shortsword glistening in the low light. Here, Miss Everguard in an inspired act, threw one of the roast Rothe I had procured for food across the cave, and, the cat pouncing after it, we made our escape post-haste, hearing the ripping of flesh behind us as the cat found its meal.

Emerging from the cave into a mountainous pass, we had only travelled a short distance when we beheld, perhaps some five hundred yards from us, the form of a frost giant! Fortunately, the great creature's back was to us, and we were able to become invisible before it noted three trespassers in its domain. We crept closer, and saw that it was busily engaged in the slaughter of many of the mountain rothe that live in the area- clearly butchering far more than even it could eat. We crept past, where we found more giants engaged in similar activities, and overheard two of them discussing offering sacrifices, though to what we never did learn. The night fell swiftly, and the storm that had been brewing all day swept down now, nearly blinding us with snow- we rushed to find shelter, and nearly fell into a cave on the eastern side of the pass, where we made a hasty camp, shivering and cold.

In the morning, we pressed on again, though the cold was in our bones now, and the sun's rays felt feeble. The storm had largely blown itself out by morning though, but we still waded through calf-deep snow, and in places the drifts came up to one's waist. We emerged from the other end of the cave system to a glacier, and we set about exploring it. Miss Everguard soon found something of note on a nearby rise in the ice, and we gathered round to examine it- it proved to be something of ancient giant culture, a relic we deciphered as reading.

"The path of air and water shows the way to the great chief"

None of us were quite sure what it all meant, but we were interrupted in our pondering by the arrival of some of the most wretched creatures I have ever had the misfortune to witness. Great spiders, seemingly of living ice, surged toward us. They were giant- fully the length of a grown man, with mandibles that resembled nothing so much as icicles ready to pierce us if we let them close. It is here that Mister De-Bar proved his worth- as he fought the pair of them to a standstill, allowing myself and Miss Everguard to help him in finishing them off.

As the day was already going down to night, we retreated back to the cave, and ate our fourth roast Rothe- we were starting to run low, but fortunately, we had discovered a herd outside, and we knew we could get more meat if it was needed. We agreed the next day to try to press further onto the glacier, keeping an eye out for the spiders.

We did so, rising early once more and made good time- but alas, the spiders were waiting for us! A running battle took place as nearly a half-dozen of them attacked us, sometimes singly, sometimes in groups. Mr. De-Bar fought heroically, with Miss Everguard and I using what little magic and skill we possessed to aid him and dismay our foes. Even so, we nearly were lost- I saw Mr. De-Bar stagger under the poison of the spiders, who soon swarmed him, and me with him. Miss Everguard managed to escape long enough to draw them away, but she too was attacked!

It was then the light truly smiled upon us- I felt strength return to my body, and I staggered up, reaching for Mr. De-Bar and calling upon the light to heal him. The two of us, re-invigorated, were able to drive the foul creatures away from Miss Everguard, where those that did not fall to his blade skittered off into the ice.

We caught our breath for a few moments, the cold of the morning quite forgotten in the heat of our blood. As we looked around, we realized we were at a strange place- with a cracked and toppled altar that still held a strange magical feel about it. We examined it, and discovered that it spoke of something called the eye of winter- which was said to belong to a great chief of the giants. Miss Everguard, spying a magical orb that resided upon the altar, reached out to grab it- and found that it quite stuck to her hand! Her body became chilled and her lips turned blue- and no amount of strength could pry it from her grasp! I knew we needed to get her to warmth or she would perish, and so Mr. De-Bar led the way back to the cave, with myself carrying the young woman carefully in my arms. The spiders had returned, but the light shone on us once more, and they were driven away for a third and final time. We reached the cave with not a moment to spare- Miss Everguard was beginning to become insensible- and lit the fire from the previous night, placing her as close as we dared to the nascent flames. In time, she warmed enough for us to pry the orb from her, wrapping it in a bedroll. It took us several hours to bring her fully back to warmth, but she bore it all quite bravely. She wished to examine the strange orb, which I agreed to let her do, so long as she swore not to touch it again. Needless to say, she had no objection to this, and so we uncovered it, allowing her to gaze into its icy depths.

She stiffened, and for a moment I thought she had succumb to the cold again, and nearly pulled her away, but she began to speak- she saw a blue land, flecked with white, bordered on one side by a great void of black and on the other by a great void of white- but as she looked, the vision slowly changed, as though she were backing away from it- and soon it became clear she was not looking at a land, but at an eye- a great blue eye which stared back at her, before the vision abruptly ended.

We covered the orb once more, and I packed it away, eager to study it, but not eager to have whatever it might contain knowing too much about us. We ate the last of the Rothe I had procured, and Mister De-Bar was kind enough to slaughter one of the local ones, allowing us to cook meat enough for a further two days, by which time we hoped to be safely back in the Ice and Fang inn, for we all felt we had done quite enough exploring for one expedition, especially as we were running low on other supplies as well.

The journey back was largely unremarkable- we retraced our steps, finding the great cave cat gone- hunting, no doubt- and slipping past the giants much as we had done before. Soon enough, we saw the distant smoke rising from the village, and I thanked the light for our safe return. I am sure you can imagine the gratitude with which we welcomed the warm stew and the comfortable beds!

The eye of winter- for I do believe that is what the strange orb must be- is still a mystery to me, but one I feel I can work out, given enough time. I attach, in addition to the aforementioned excerpt from my letter to Selwyn, a sketch of the eye, as well as some initial observations.

Yours in the light,

Bamaeus Hood

Cuchuwyn
5:57:49 am GMT 11/28/20
An Advertisement in the Steinkreis Times

Recently-arrived professor, Bamaeus Hood, seeks a cadre of brave and skilled individuals to investigate the rumor of long-lost giant ruins deep under the surface of Thain. Those of daring personality are encouraged to inquire with the aforementioned Mister Hood, as the venture will require a certain degree of preparation before it can be undertaken. Preference given to those with experience in archaeology, spelunking, knowledge of the underdark, or of the ancient civilization of Bak'non. Payment negotiable, though the research opportunities are possibly invaluable!

Cuchuwyn
5:34:20 am GMT 12/18/20
30th of Ches, thirty-seven days from my departure

Dear Selwyn,

My hand shakes as I write to you, and you must forgive any eccentricities of ink that follow- I hardly know myself, so much seems to have happened, even in the short span of time since my last letter. As I hinted when I wrote Halgyr, I was deeply curious about the eye of winter, and what role it might play in understanding the great frost giants of the northern reaches of this isle, both at present and in their distant past. But I must confess my dear friend, it was not me who discovered the key to the eye, as it were, but rather the young Miss Everguard, who I believe I introduced to you in my last letter. She seemed to have some connection to it, being the one who initially took it from its ancient perch, and as such, it revealed much to her. Over time, she was able to follow the gaze of the eye, as it looked out north and east, and, revealing this mystery to me, we set out to once again embark upon an expedition to the far north.

Having learned from our last journey, I was able to procure much better supplies this time, aiding us much in our travel time and making the journey itself rather less harrowing, at least to begin with. We made good time on the trails northward, aided of course by the fact that now we did not need to rely on the happenstance overheard conversations of giants, but could simply follow the gaze of the eye. As we approached the vast glacier that rests upon the northern point of the isle, the eye began to shift, gradually angling upward, so that it appeared to be looking directly heavensward. We were quite at a loss to what htis might mean, for we of course had no method to fly, and despaired that whatever the eye might be seeing would be far out of our reach.

But then, a great clamor was heard, and a massive creature approached us at a rather alarming rate. Our party, myself, Miss Everguard, Miss Rab, a great warrior of a tribe the name of which I have never quite been able to pin down, and Mister Delacroix, who you will remember from the academy, were faced with a giant much larger than any we had seen before. It was triple, perhaps quadruple, our size, and carried a giant sack with it. In a flash, it scooped up Miss Rab, depositing her within, and with our best warrior so quickly subdued, we could not help but follow.

I can hardly describe what horror it was to be grasped in that massive paw, to be so unceremoniously thrust into a leather sack from which I had little hope of escape. But the light shone on us all, and as the giant walked on, we were able to find our footing within, glancing about for any means of deliverance. And there! Mixed in with the detritus of a dozen other catches, a sword of the kind the lesser frost giants wield. It would have been beyond the capabilities of any but Miss Rab, and I say again the light shone upon us when she agreed to join our party, for only she would have been able to cut us free. After a time, we came to a stop, and, hearing the fading footsteps of the massive creature (footsteps that sounded more like earthquakes than any mortal tread), we dared make good our escape. Miss Rab was able to cut us free, and we spilled out upon the cold ice- for we were quite high up now, and even the good Master Goodmane's potions of warmth could only take so much from the frigid air. We knew we had only hours, perhaps less, to escape or we would join the pour souls who froze to death in such frigid conditions. The only path we could see led down, away from the peak, and this being the general direction we wished to travel in any case, we were happy to oblige it. Soon though, we heard the footsteps of our captor returning once more! We were obliged to hide in the crevices of ice as he walked by above, and for a few nervous moments, I despaired that we might yet be taken. But once again, the light shone upon our journey, and soon the brute lumbered off. We hastily made our way toward a cavern entrance, through which we could see the light of day, but it lay beyond a wide stream. Fortunately, Victen kept his wits about him, and secured a small iceberg with a dashed clever shot from his mechanical crossbow and a rope. We punted across the stream, and began to make our way down the mountain.

As we did so, however, the giant spotted our movements, and began to throw boulders after us, clearly intending that if we were not to be his meal, we should not survive to have that fate befall us in any circumstance! The others were able to hurry down the path with alacrity, but I, owing to the tricky hip I have, slipped on a patch of ice and was quite immersed in the freezing water. Were it not for Miss Rab's quick reflexes, I would not be penning this letter to you, and even now my hand shakes at the memory of such cold. It was a hellish trip down the side of the mountain, half-delirious with cold I could only follow the rest of my party into a glade of sorts. Soon, Miss Everguard was able to start a fire using some tinder that Miss Rab and Mister Delacroix collected, and, the giant seeming to have given us up for dead, we were able to dry ourselves and warm. As we did, we discovered the most delightful creatures- birdlike, but they did not fly! They flapped about and squawked quite amusingly as they waddled on land, but when they dove in the water it became clear what their true calling was. They are quite as nimble as fishes in the small ponds made by the river's flow, and we watched them for some time as they went about their hunting small crustaceans and fish.

As we ate a dinner of smoked Rothe, we began to hear a curious noise some distance away. Fearing another encounter with a giant, we approached cautiously, but I was quite surprised to find nothing but a large stone, covered in some runic script, with smaller stones set around it in a clear pattern. It was obvious that some culture had created these strange sites, but they were far too small to be of giant make. We watched carefully as the sounds began to grow louder, and then, dear Selwyn, I must pause here to say that by this point I had quite recovered my senses- what I saw was not a dream brought on me by the cold! For there were spirits that ringed the obelisk- spirits of a birdlike people, who made strange noises for a few moments.

And then there was light. Light, the likes of which I have seen only once before. Light that I have been searching for for years now, the very light that led me to this place. A light with no heat, no chemical, no electricity. A light of itself.

It was beautiful Selwyn. It was beautiful, and despite the troubles of our venture, I am blessed to have seen it once more.

But it was not to last- once again it faded ere I could truly reach it, and I was left with but another memory. The spirits too faded, and we were left once more with naught but the strange water-birds.

Some hours later, we ventured away from the place, making our final leg down the mountain. We had somehow come down the western slope, such that we had circled back around near to where we started- I can only thank providence for this stroke of luck, else we might well have found ourselves up against the sea with nowhere to turn but back up the mountainside.

I shall end this letter here, for I must return to my rest- it has been a long few days, and I am tired. But light, Selwyn! Light! And with it, hope.

Your dear friend,

Bamaeus Hood.
Cuchuwyn
6:27:10 pm GMT 12/26/20

An open invitation to all those of good heart is hereby issued: at the start of the next tenday, a fund-raiser and lecture shall be held at the Academy of the Silver Scroll, in the Lowtown of Steinkreis. The lecture shall be upon the subject and form of the divine, and the funds raised will go towards helping to restore the building to its former glory. All those in attendance should come with open hearts and, one hopes, deep pockets!

((This event will take place Monday, December 28, at 6PM PST.))
Cuchuwyn
6:32:17 am GMT 02/16/21
18th Tarsakh, Fifty-five days from my departure.

Dear Selwyn,

I am afraid to say I have gotten myself into a bit of a situation. As you know, I have requested additional funding from the Academy for various expeditions I have been pursuing, and I trust my samples and notes have found their way back to Waterdeep in good order and timely fashion. However, I must tell you now of another, perhaps more dangerous journey I find myself venturing upon.

For you see Selwyn, I am hoping to re-establish a school. One that has fallen into disrepair, with intermittent classes, when they happen at all. I hope to be able to establish regular classes, perhaps eventually hire a full-time instructor, and give the students a chance to learn more than just the ways of the streets. For this academy is situated in what is colloquially known as "lowtown", an area of the city of Steinkreis that is quite the mirror image of some of the dockside neighborhoods of Waterdeep, complete with the poverty, disease, and organized crime so rampant in such areas.

And indeed, the local crime lords here have taken notice of my little project, and attempts to intimidate, and even harm, myself and my associates have already begun. I fear these attempts will only gain in intensity as the project continues.

And so I write to you Selwyn, for advice, as well as to let you know that I am yet alive. My research continues apace throughout all of this- and I am now investigating the legend of a "Jotunmoot"- a meeting of giants. This will again take me to the north, and I pray that the light will illuminate the path for us then.

In the meantime, I plan to focus my efforts on the school as much as I can, though I am cognizant that I alone am not enough to overturn decades of corruption and crime. I am therefore enclosing a missive I have written to one Lady Ariana, a relative of a lost king of Steinkreis, requesting her assistance in meeting the local nobility in order to hopefully win over some of them to the cause of the academy. I enclose it to you that you may use similar arguments, if possible, with the circle of trustees, if they are willing to provide additional funds for an institute of learning that would surely reflect well on the Waterdavian Academy.

I trust you have been well Selwyn. May the light shine upon you.

Your friend,

Bamaeus Hood

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]
Cuchuwyn
4:06:08 am GMT 03/02/21

My fellow citizens,

As you may be aware, the citizenry of Lowtown is suffering from a dearth of qualified instructors and teachers. Should you be someone who possess the talent of education, and be willing to work with students both young and old on their letters and numbers, find me at the Academy of the Silver Scroll in three days' time. Your compensation will be the light that you bring into the life of one living in the darkness of ignorance.

-Bamaeus Hood

((This event will take place Thursday, March 4 at 7PM PST ))
Cuchuwyn
3:36:23 am GMT 03/23/21
Greengrass, sixty-eight days from my departure.

My friend Selwyn,

I write this missive having now drunk a goblet and a half of the sweet red wine produced in the western slopes of the village of Hamley, a vintage that is the equal to, if not surpassing, the Neverwinter reds of the academy. Today's festival atmosphere has in my case been enhanced by a new discovery, one that I greatly hope will aid in solving a number of quandaries facing my research. But more on that in time.

Since my last writing, I have continued in my journeys within the lowtown of my adopted home of Steinkreis, seeking out merchants and others who might supply the school with all the necessities of a quality education. I have found generous patronage in the form of thw wizard's academy in Greenvale, who have offered a number of supplies in exchange for hosting one of the apprentices to help him gain some experience in the art of teaching. This, naturally is amenable to all.

As for the discovery, I believe I have located a site of an old giantish sorcerer- one who seemed to use the light of the north, and the peculiar angles of the sun, to achieve spectacular results by bending the light through the clever use of crystals and other such materials. As such arts are now lost to us, I shall require a number of associates to aid in the quest, but I have a plan that may yet work, using mirrors and a spell I have created for the purpose. If so, it may aid in the understanding of the light of itself, though perhaps that is too ambitious a dream- if nothing else, it will show that there is magic yet left in this world, for those who care to brave the wilds to find it.

Apologies, dear Selwyn, if this letter is sentimental- the wine I feel is going to my head, and I think perhaps I should desist before I waste good parchment writing tripe. Do send word of the Academy, when you have a moment. I miss the old place, though I must confess I am quite enjoying my sabbatical, despite the occasional sticky situation.

Yours in the Light,

Bamaeus

((I will be running an event for anyone interested in Bamaeus' research on Friday, March 26 at 7 PM PST.))
Cuchuwyn
9:09:19 pm GMT 04/30/21
Mirtul 19, Eighty-Seven days from departure

Selwyn,

Giants, Selwyn! Giants! Giants of remarkable skill and deep lore, who have, apparently, been largely destroyed by a number of cataclysms that befell them some time before the rise of man and elf in this land. But we have indeed found the ruin I spoke of, and so much more- evidence of a vast and culturally connected kingdom in the far north, now buried beneath the rock and snow. More than this I hardly can speculate for what we have found is unlike anything I have yet seen- caverns of crystals reflecting light, cunning locks opened by means of reflection and refraction, weapons and armor of old, scaled to fit the peoples who once must have roamed the north like small mountains themselves.

When I am not engaged in such expeditions, I have been steadily keeping to my project in the Lowtown, and am satisfied to say that we have begun to see some number of students who have chosen to come for multiple lessons, and indeed, have not (as far as I am aware) made off with any of the furnishings the last few visits.

I must however confess to a growing degree of trepidation around the criminal overlord known only as "Fred", whose gang seems to be pursuing increasingly dangerous and desperate attempts to wrestle control of any who wold step foot into what he considers his territory- and unfortunately, that number includes old scholars seeking only to improve the lot of those in the slums.

We had avoided direct confrontation with the man for some time, but recently a large shipment of arms was said to be at the docks, and with this knowledge in hand we could hardly do nothing and allow more implements of death to spread like a plague through the Lowtown- but alas! Our efforts were espied and a melee occurred- I myself took an arrow to the shoulder, though, thank the light, the injury seems to be healing well. I fear though it has rather put paid to the notion that we might somehow escape this "Fred"'s attention for much longer, and surely he will retaliate- and so we must be ready, in view of the light.

Selwyn, do you recall when we were but students at the academy, when Master Bryndn would chastise our class for asking questions that no reasonable person might answer- the origin of emotion, the logic of feeling, and so forth? I think often of those days now, for I feel I have gotten myself into a question for which there is no answer- how does one resist against the implacable greed and hatred of men?

But I suppose I am being morbid. It is not, after all, my purview to see every dark shadow of the world ended, merely to spread whatever light I can in the time given to me. I trust you will not consider me vain to express the wish that I may yet have a good deal more time.

Yours in the light,
Bamaeus
Cuchuwyn
5:16:47 am GMT 05/01/21
Kythorn 10, 108 Days from my departure

Selwyn,

I can hardly express to you the nature of what we have discovered. The giants Selwyn, and those that came before them- it is something almost beyond words, beyond imagining. I have been- we all have been- so blind as to the true scope of the thing. I am enclosing with this missive a series of sketches (albeit in my poor hand- you must forgive me, I have not yet had time to have the thing properly done) of what we have found. I trust you will appreciate them as much as I have, though in truth I confess I cannot quite see how that is possible, as to see them in the flesh, or in the stone, as it were, is a remarkable experience, one that I fear mere drawings cannot capture.

Nonetheless, it has quite renewed my enthusiasm for the ancient civilizations of this isle, and indeed the modern ones, for I cannot help but think that if we are able to sufficiently explore and catalogue these ruins there may yet be some mystery, some clue from the past that will aid those of us bound to the present in this mortal sense. What wonders might we find yet buried beneath the rock and ice and snow of the world, waiting to be uncovered like gems of knowledge from the bed of ignorance, polished to shine by those of us who seek out such things and retrieve them to display before the world!

Ah, Selwyn, I do wish in times like these that I could have your advice and knowledge here, rather than across the wide ocean, though I understand completely your desire to remain in the academy and instruct others in the ways of magic. I cannot help but express a selfish desire though to have another of your caliber and abilities on this isle, though I must say Victen seems to be coming along nicely in his studies, and I have not seen nor heard a whiff of the old calumnies that followed the poor man around in his student days- though I try to keep an ever-vigilant eye on such things.

I do hope this missive finds you well my good friend, and that you send me word of your opinions on the sketches I enclose- I trust you know how I value your opinion and advice. I must, however, cease this missive for now- Miss Celestine is asking me to come investigate some strange shadow north of the crossing place.

Yours in the Light,
Bamaeus
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, jewwe, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 34
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: EmeliaWaller
  • Most ever online: 208
    Guests: 206, Members: 2 on Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 20:11:48
Now Playing
1. Malarahc
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org