Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  1 day ago

Section Six starts in about 1 hour and 20 minutes . That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

Good(ish) characters of LEVEL 11 or below.

We will meet at the Iron Minogon in Webster's Landing. Just assume that your character received a mysterious invitation.

I will be IG as Taran if you have any questions!

• Raven1210
    Raven1210  1 day ago

Hello Yasmyn! grin

• Squidget
    Squidget  2 days ago

No worries Yas, PMs have been busted on the forums for ages, we just use Discord now. Hello!

• Yasmyn
    Yasmyn  2 days ago

Hey all. Trying to send a PM but failing. Would like to say hey current DMs. And sorry.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  1 week ago

Section Six starts in 1 about hour. That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

We will meet at the Iron Minogon in Webster's Landing. Just assume that your character received a mysterious invitation.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 weeks ago

Section Six starts in 1 about hour. That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

• animosomina
    animosomina  2 weeks ago

Welcome to Thain friend.

• Gwondier
    Gwondier  2 weeks ago

Thanks Zhymm! I'm in.

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 weeks ago

Here's an invite code to the Thain Discord server

-Clickedy-

Discord codes usually expire fairly quickly. So, use it ASAP.

Most Thain players use it for text messages, posting screenshots and RL topics. Rarely for voice comms, I can recall only one instance in the past two years in which I got a fellow player to join me in its voice channel.

Good luck,

Old Man Zhymm

• Gwondier
    Gwondier  2 weeks ago

I understand there's a discord channel for the server. I've looked around, but can't find it. Can that be stickied if so? If not, would like a link, please.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Orcs of Hellshire III

LAN_402 LAN_403
wisdombeyondages
1:59:31 am GMT 08/25/19
wisdombeyondages Registered Member #1009 Joined: 7:04:13 am GMT 03/26/07
From Jiztroyir's Journal

I have been visited by the creature who calls herself Old Pooba again and this time she brought another guest. Lucille was her name but Pooba called her the "Fatechild, a hero in our lands". Claimed that the woman had drew the "Nightchild" from hiding and diverted her path of destruction. This Nightchild is of course referring to Kallista d'Mora. Lucille insisted I call her Lucy instead. They were discussing something about the watchtowers failing, how they did not protect this place and those that came here broke the barrier. Or so it seemed to her. Once they noticed my presence they began with the pleasantries. Pooba informed me that she was instructing this student of hers. I mentioned that Kallista had cast her gaze to the shire and that one of the Gnoll skinned had been here. She confirmed that indeed that was an agent of the Drow Witch. Pooba seemed surprised that Kallista had cast her gaze this far south. Like so many they fail to see the small things that often herald the larger ones. We discussed the situation in the shire concerning the Bonesaw and the Fey. The matter is unsettled but she was able to offer some wisdom. Lucy asked how long the Clan had been there and informed her that we had been there since before the tower. Another who has not been watching things down here. Lomir arrived shortly after and Pooba asked more questions about the Bonesaw clan and its Chieftain. Our past was a point of interest to her but so was my opinion on how things would be moving forward. I wasn't shy about voicing my belief that he would attempt to find aid with Kallista and others in the north. As the conversation progressed we traveled to the tower. Along the way Pooba revealed her service to Kallista as an adviser, which was a considerable surprise to me. She like so many others asked questions meant to stir thoughts within me. Spoke of the Fey invading my land, of the cunning of the Darkfey and how they had anticipated this, how they are certain of my next move. I have always been amused by others who are claiming to know my plans, or being able to foresee what I will do. She asked if I was certain of my course, in return I gave a hearty laugh. I have always been certain of my path and I had no issue with telling her that. However, I am not dumb, her work advances another and I gain nothing by telling her. She was quite insistent that she served no one, and when asked what she might do in my position she provided an answer that only proved her madness and bitterness. She encouraged me to do the unexpected, what no one else might expect of me. I decided to return to my camp, and invited them both to follow as Lucy informed us she would be leaving to deal with other matters.

Along the way back to the camp, Pooba and I discussed the Darkfey situation and I again informed her that Kallista had visited to which she replied, "Just because their messenger arrives does not mean they move their forces here." She isn't incorrect but in the end whether they slip in subtly or make overt actions they are none the less here. At my request for an explanation as to the connection between the Darkfey and the Shadow Plane, she decided to educate the who group. She drew a circle in the ground and informed us that we were there. In each of the cardinal directions stood watch towers. North, East, South, West; these towers alight guard against forces unseen. They balance the wheel so it may not come off its spokes. Above the circle was the Fey Realm, and beneath it was the Shadow Plane. She had thought at first that the Darkfey were Unseelie but later learned that they simply had joined ranks. She showed us that there was a point where the outer realms met without connecting with the inner realm. She mused that perhaps this was where the Darkfey came from. When I asked about how they might have arrived here she mentioned that they seemed to have a grasp on shadow and now they have seized the fey portals that reach this realm. They have us surrounded it seems and yet where there are gates, there are keys. Though I did not share it I know I must acquire or forge a key. I am aware that shadow dancers may easily enter the Shadow Plane through a deep darkness and that Druids and Rangers can easily enter the Fey Realms. I will have to look into this. As we continued I spoke of how their pawns use the shadows to spawn creatures to harass the camp and Lomir suggested that a visit to the shadow plane. Pooba appeared hesitant but only for the barest moment. She said it wasn't a "half bad idea". I told her that at least I have seen what they spawn out; she responded that it was a task she was ill equipped for and having visited only once before I understood. Lomir commented that there was another way but it took literal death. Apparently there are places where death does not bring your soul to a stone where it reforms your body, but instead can deposit it elsewhere.

**Spoilers** (Highlight to read)
Having discussed things I decided to inquire about Pooba's relationship with Kallista. Her answer was somewhat unsurprising though interesting in its own way. She had an allegiance to the Drow and serves as a seer and advisor. Apparently delving into Fate's plan and changing it from within whether Kallista wishes it or not. Always in her favor even if it doesn't align with Kallista's immediate plans or interest. Of course this was why she was here visiting my lands and speaking with me. She informed that while Kallista will eventually learn of this meeting, Pooba was here for different reasons. "I came here on my own accord-- to lead the Fatechild here, in order for her to better understand her place in all this so she may better serve my purposes." She was open and truthful, well at least she claimed to be. I asked of the woman asked the right question to which I was informed that "No one ever does." She glanced at Perialt and mused if she was truly using her gift for the greatest good. We discussed how one might define greatest good as meeting their own goals. She mentioned that perhaps it was the Darkfey. When I said it was she asked why. "Does a farmer consider locust a greater good?" A simple example but she shifted the thought and asked in return "Imagine your moment of glory. The moment where you've claimed this land as yours." I know all to well that we once did. But she seemed to believe that it would always exist in the past. The Darkfey however freeze their moments of glory so they remain eternal. The difference of course is that something frozen can be freed, if it is something from the past it can simply be resurrected, though the effort is often quite different in scale.
**End of Spoilers**

Perialt had joined us for some time and I wished to see her judgement of Pooba's wisdom. They spoke initially of the Shadows and who was bringing them to the land. Pooba quite astutely pointed out that it wasn't the Clan who was causing the shadows. "...be it Poisonwood, Darkfey... or the accursed Tirothians who came before." While we are not the ones to be blamed, Perialt rightly recognized that if they are a link, then they are another on our borders who must concern ourselves with. I find it an interesting analogy that Pooba has used but I chose to move the conversation on as it was my desire to assess the capacities of Perialt. I asked her what did she see in the wisdom of Pooba. I knew that she wasn't present for the entire discussion but I know there will be times that she will have to put things together from information that is fragmented or partial. "There are few like her that stand out of the present and that see beyond the immediate future, but her allegiance is well stated and I am not sure her purpose serves ours. Knowledge however is power and if she will share it then she could also have more than one allegiance if they do not conflict." She offered to Pooba an allegiance with simple terms. Pooba was clear in informing her that it would exist solely in consequence. Perialt made the wise move of admitting in this moment that she was not sure what it meant and the crone informed her that "It benefits myself. If it does not, it would be broken. I suppose the definition of an alliance, though the concept it lost upon more than you would realize."

The crone then changed directions with the conversation. She commented that it gave her hope to see wisdom in this tribe. Her eyes were focused on Perialt who responded by asking if Pooba would share with her what benefit she perceived. After glancing about for a moment she added, "It can be kept between the two of us." Hah, what a sight it was. Pooba commented,"It gives me hope your chieftain acts not as king, but has council. Your chieftain realizes that, even within his own body, there are others to delegate authority." Periallt was quick to respond by stating, "Our Kralshaman has much wisdom and passion for the journey he has undertaken. While we could wish that this was not such a contested piece of land, our warriors do not fear and we will use -all- resources we can source to keep it." Pooba appeared impressed and commented that Perialt seemed to have all the pieces needed. Body, Spirit, and Mind. We ate food as the conversation continued and the subject matter moved to the alliance between Kallista and the Darkfey. I will note that during this transition Pooba commented that she disliked the Winter caused by the Darkfey and that it had caused her departure. Pooba stated that “So many are ready to pledge their fealty to the Darkfey without knowing the whys or hours of them.” Perialt asked if Kallista was in line with their wishes.” “Certainly, and she surely does not understand the full scope of their plan, but she is a queen, a conqueror. She saw an opportunity and seized it.” Lomir asked if she had insight. “Don’t trust the Darkfey” was all the response he got. When pushed about why she worked with them she simply stated it was as a miner miles beneath the mountain knowing they can collapse at any moment. She claimed that the Darkfey were neither completely a bane or a boon, but that one must understand their nature to fully acquire what they wish of them. Lomir mentioned the changes in the Fey lands and the presence of a castle riddle with Frosted Bugbear, dryad, wisps, and other things. This information appears to have bode ill for Pooba as her mood changed. She immediately informed us that Cathalya had confidence in the Darkfey, that she believed they could bring change and that she was aiding them in the belief that they would usurp the realm. Pooba however pointed out that they appeared only to desire to freeze things. To stop the Great Wheel from turning any more. Pooba and Perialt spoke of meeting again later but before the crone departed she made a request of Perialt. “Please keep them from destroying themselves.”
wisdombeyondages
7:33:48 pm GMT 08/31/19
From Jiztroyir's Journal

I have had a rare moment of delight. The drow Izzy decided to come to visit. Sadly it was not for long but nonetheless I will always enjoy her presence. During our wanderings around the camp a Pixie attacked and she killed it in defense. An unfortunate incident as I can no longer say we have done all we can to avoid hostile interactions with my guests. I could blame the Bonesaw clan but I prefer the fey know my honesty. I am unsure if this will reflect badly upon the Clan but I have no choice.

Some days later Calel'ruril sent a letter requesting to be allowed to visit, a hold over from our previous encounters while he served the Lady of the Poisonwoods. He arrived with Jeremiah and made a request for an atonement spell. Clearly he desires a change in the direction his life is going. I saw no reason to deny this request and granted it. To prove the fullness of his intention I sent him against the Poisonwood Orcs. I am sure of Calel'ruril's success and I would see pain visited upon them for their past betrayal and for future negotiations. Let them never forget who is the greater one. Calel'ruril also requested a regeneration spell for his arm. I saw no issue in this though I do know of better more immediate ways to restore it, I told him that he would have the spell, but when he had completed his quest I could restore it completely. They departed to their task and I returned to mine. The camp must be fortified.

They were quick to return, a clear sign of Calel'ruril's true desire for this. They brought with them evidence of their task. I am glad I was wearing my helmet so they could not see the smile on my face. The Poisonwood Orcs would have a new chieftain soon, but for now there would be power struggles. I fulfilled the request as stated and did my best to restore his arm to full function. Even with my great skill I could not fully restore it. However with time it will heal. They left with the utmost gratitude and I earned more favors.

One of the scouting patrols suffered serious injuries during their trek back towards camp. On my orders the local area was meticulously searched and a Gnoll was spotted setting traps around the camps. They were setup along our primary patrol routes and it was clear they had taken a few lives. I tried to give chase but they disappeared into the nearby fog. I was able to get a look at them though and to ensure my suspicions were correct I brought the Huntmaster Renneleth to my camp. The Gnoll which he shot during our travel through the Ridgeshield matched the description which means Kallista's people are now attacking my people. I will have to speak with the elders about it.
wisdombeyondages
8:20:59 pm GMT 08/31/19
From Jiztroyir's Journal

I hate to admit it at times openly but there are many places upon this island that I have never been. Secret places, or ones very difficult to reach. One such place is the Plane of Shadows. I do recall once long ago getting to see it only in passing as we used it for a shortcut across the island. I have been told that many in the Dark Alliance have the ability to use it as well and it is often how they travel quickly across the land. Recently I was taken by Lomir to visit it. He told me about the dangers there, ones I was unable to overcome alone but was able to observe his skill in dispatching them. I do not have the skill to arrive in the Plane just as I am unable to enter the Fey Realms on my own. Clearly I must see about making a means to overcome this limitation. Nonetheless it was informative and educational. I was able to obtain some things from the Plane and returned home. There is a gateway straight to the Northeastern edge of the shire, and I have no doubt that this is how they move to and from the area.
wisdombeyondages
8:36:40 pm GMT 09/01/19
From Jiztroyir's Journal

Dire news has reached my ears. Not surprising but the source is at least reasonably trustworthy. During a recent trip towards the North I came across a spattering of blood leading into the Necropolis Graveyard. Upon arriving I found Tyfar in a battle with two others I don’t recall recognizing. Suffice to say it was clear he was being controlled. With Rita’s aid we managed to purge him. Tyfar had previously asked me to pay for some information but instead offered it now in exchange for helping to close the portal that had opened up. The effort was not in vain but I admit it was not a simple one. The power behind it was immense and we barely managed to fight back the denizens before we closed it.

The information I was given is dire; Byran has sought allies at the Iron City in exchange for the souls of his people who die and those of the ones he kills. The irony of that deal is not lost on me, as a warden of the Gate of Souls, his people are very unlikely to feed that contract. However, that would mean his people will slaughter many to fulfill the deal. Many in the Dark Alliance would gain from this. Tyfar believes that Byr’an is afraid he will lose the battle in the Shire and that is why he makes such deals. Without allies I am sure he would but this confirms my suspicions.
wisdombeyondages
4:03:28 am GMT 10/12/19
Blank 1 Saving for massive posts to catch up
wisdombeyondages
4:03:47 am GMT 10/12/19
Blank 2 Saving for Massive posts to catch up
wisdombeyondages
4:04:41 am GMT 10/12/19
Blank 3 Saving for posts to catch up. Please feel free to post up about your adventures, interactions, or schemes involving the Hellshire here. If need be link back to the thread in which you are mainlining your writing. Thank you!
o_chadon_o
7:10:14 am GMT 11/23/19
o_chadon_o Registered Member #1763 Joined: 2:09:42 am GMT 10/24/11
Orn laid back in the tent, surrounded by a couple of empty bottles of spirit, and a half-drained bottle of wine. “Definitely worth the trip to retrieve thossssse-,” hic, “-bonessss.”

If there was any indicator that today was to be another day filled with danger, rescues, and strife, one would only have to look and confirm that, yes. This grubbly plot of the land was still called Thain. Orn reflected on the day that had just transpired.

There was a hobgoblin that had visited the camp and waited to be seen, the very same goblinoid that ransacked a half-orc camp that the tribe was visiting themselves to hold a meeting with an important half-orc.

The hobgoblin said that if the members of Hellshire went to rescue goblins of their group, then information would be shared. Information on where to find the missing half-orc that were gone from the camp.

And so Orn and a couple tribesman (“Don’t assssk their namessss, I’m too drunk to remember”) made way to where the missing goblins were reported to be. After fighting off a poorly organized horde of kobolds, the three Hellshire members liberated four goblins, two already had been sacrificed to some pitiful kobold deity no doubt and returned to camp.

The hobgoblin was understanding that some death was unavoidable and pointed us to Mara’s Shingle, the half-orcs having been dragged off to some dank cave.

“Sssso after a bit of sssstabing and ambling, we made it to the cave and ressscued them. Sssad they couldn’t get themssselvesss out. Ssso many bonessss of the dead however. Kralssshaman wasssn’t thrilled about that.” He chuckled.

The orcs were lead back to camp and given the proper supplies for survival. Then the idea was proposed after discussion to go back for the bones of the deceased.

“On which we dissscovered ssso many bottlesss of drink. Well worth it . . . And yeah the bonesss too I guesss.”

After a second trip to retrieve the deceased, they were properly laid to rest by priests of Gruumith.

Another day past and another day of the Hellshire completing a good deed!
Rodgr Thunderguts
1:34:11 am GMT 12/03/19
Rodgr Thunderguts Registered Member #1050 Joined: 7:35:50 am GMT 05/11/07
Baphomet's realm of the Endless Maze was the 600th layer of the Abyss, supposedly infinite in size.

Among his worshipers were the Minotaur:

Mithas stood above the smoke pondering where he had ended up in the grand scheme of things.

He turned the meat as it cooked..

Far superior in intelligence than his associates, bred for the pits, he wondered how he had gone from killing everything and anything that crossed his path, to listening to those who surrounded him. Maybe so many years away from the Labyrinth of Pain had calmed his demeanor.

He turned the meat on the spit again, the skin crisping.

Baphomet would be displeased he thought, cutting the meat to make the juices baste the meat. He would make a sacrifice to appease him.

The leader of the clan seemed to like him though he also seemed to want to tame him and bring him to order, a feeling that was polar to his way of living, though one he could appreciate as the leader had not yet wanted his horned head on a spike like so many before had.

He turned the meat on the spit once more, oddly the muffled sound making it seem to cook all the better. He knew the meat would be sweeter.

The recent trip with the one called Orn brought fond memories to him, as he picked at the huge scar on his arm from the recent battle saving goblins in order to help the Kralshaman. He laughed out loud making those nearby in the Watch keep a distance partly due to fear he may lash out and partly due to his unpredictability.

Pouring some dragons breath ale on the meat, basting it , he made a guttural sound, possibly a chuckle and once again thought of how the lizard man liked to drink with him.

He lifted a sack and wondered of the dark elf he had walked with. Opening it and looking inside the bag of lizard heads which looked so much like Orn, once he had removed them from their bodies, he knew Orn would be impressed at the resemblance and he remembered he must show them to him before they deteriorated.

Leaning on his battle worn axe, which was an impressive six feet in length and unlikely to be able to be picked up by a mortal, he ripped the limb off the elf on the spit, it’s last mortal sound being muffled from the apple in it’s mouth as it slowly cooked over the coals, he wondered how he would provide protection to the goblins by the Crossroads from those annoying adventurers always rainding their caves and hopefully build an alliance with some for the Kralshaman.

Another elf would be sacrificed tonight he thought and Baphomet would guide his path.
o_chadon_o
1:58:30 am GMT 12/31/19
o_chadon_o Registered Member #1763 Joined: 2:09:42 am GMT 10/24/11
   The Gray Iron Mines cave entrance lie in wait, an ominous dragon's maw waiting to protect it's hoard of gems and ore. However, the two visitors the stone dragon played host for were only in the business of achieving ore. Most specifically iron.

A couple of hours later, the Kralshaman and Craftsman of Hellshire had finished their retrieval of ore and worked at the second level's furnace. 

It was a curious sight. The miners could have sworn that the half-orc in armor was making iron bars. There were unaware of the lizardfolk actually working the metal.

Hours after they entered, an armored half-orc and an invisible lizardfolk departed.

Later, after they had stored the materials, the two parted ways.

"It's good we've gathered these materials. We won't have much use for this iron right away as we need to collect wood for it . . . But it is a start,", Jiztroyir remarked thoughtfully. 

Orn nodded. "It'll help the progressssssssss going forward."

"Yes it will. I am heading back to the camp to rest. Do be safe wherever you are off to."

"Assss alwayssss, I will," a smirk.

Jiztroyir nodded respectfully and headed away.

Orn smirked harder. 'Be ssssssafe' he ssssssayssss. The lizardfolk immediately made his way to Steinkreis's prestigious 'Blackmere' district.

. . .

Orn stalked the halls of one of the warmblooded city's manors. Soundlessly, he padded his way across the stone floor disgusted by such a rich palace. 

Eventually his thoughts drifted.

There was something exhausting about fighting constantly for gold (one of the reasssssonssss I find myself here). 

To work the forge. Perfect my craft. Ever sssssinsssse I took thisssss up for the Hellssssshire I got better and b-

He stopped droning mentally immediately, and zipped around the corner quickly.

[color] Orn caught his breath as he was sure he heard the Clockwork Knight was out of sight when he could round the corner. 

He picked a lock and made his way to chest, fishing out a silk blanket, promptly stuffing it in a magical pouch with a sigh. 

If only I could jusssst craft and do nothing elssssse.

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, jewwe, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 37
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: Vaeldara
  • Most ever online: 208
    Guests: 206, Members: 2 on Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 20:11:48
Now Playing
1. Benno von Drachenberg
2. Alugast Dy'Nodel
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org