Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• wisdombeyondages
    wisdombeyondages  1 day ago

Orc night in a little under 3 hours! Event is open to everyone!

• Warlord Kro
    Warlord Kro  1 day ago

Player event will kick off in about two hours from now! Everyone welcome. Poke me in game if you want in. Everyone welcome.

tristan this is for you...https://discord.gg/wU9eEC

• Kat
    Kat  2 days ago

I won't believe he's back until i see him in game..Soon please..

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  4 days ago

Necro Night will be starting in about 2 hours from this post!

• Jandari
    Jandari  4 days ago

ECO!!!!!

• Warlord Kro
    Warlord Kro  4 days ago

He's back! *waves*

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  4 days ago

G'day Thain!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  6 days ago

Nature Night will start in about 1 hour and 40 minutes . We will meet up in the Wild Grove of Grauer Suden.

I will be IG as Dauken. Please shoot me a tell with any questions! smile

• wisdombeyondages
    wisdombeyondages  1 week ago

Orc night in 40 mins from time of this post. Anyone is welcome!

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Forging a Path

LAN_402 LAN_403
Cuchuwyn
6:16:04 am GMT 06/06/19
Cuchuwyn Registered Member #24041 Joined: 4:19:01 am GMT 01/24/17
All I can do is keep lookin'...

When I left Hammersong, it was because the smith I'd been apprenticing under suggested I go out into the world and "Get a bit'a livin' under yer belt. Go hunt treasure, fight a few monsters, meet a few wimmen that ain't got beards!"

I can't say I've found the beardless women I've met to make any more sense than the ones at home, but I've certainly found a bit of treasure, and I've come face-to-face with a fair few monsters too. I've delved in caves deep enough that you could feel the breath of the island on your face, and could hear its blood rushing past, and I can't say I'm the same dwarf now who left.

I go back to the 'song from time to time, but never for very long. There's not much for me there at the moment; not until I've proven myself and found something worth bringing back, something to make the forges ring out in triumph.

Meeting Seth and the other Hammersmiths has been a boon to this goal. But even so, I'm not going to steal some human invention and claim it as my own. But I'll learn what I can from them, and I don't mind sharing my own knowledge too. It's only fair really.

I'm not sure where this path's going to take me, in the end. In the 'song, wars and troubles seem to pass by like wind in the trees- and I suppose that expression should prove I've been out in the world for a spell. Never would have written something like that before.

Anyway, out here you can't burrow under and wait until things pass. The monsters are out there, and they don't all wait politely for you to drop in on them either. There's rumors of another war brewing in the north, just as the last one ended out west, and even now the Crater Lake still carries the bones of countless soldiers from the war before that one. If I were in the 'song it'd be easy to keep my head down and focus on my craft, let other folk handle the fighting. Out here, I'm not sure I'll have a choice. I've learned there's a difference in hearing tales of the dark deeds and witnessing them for yourself. And I've felt the effect of not being able to keep folk from dying around you.

Trick is to be prepared. And for that, I'll keep working the anvils, keep testing theories, learning what I can of the practices of other smiths. And I'll keep looking for something to bring back to the 'song too, when I have a chance.

-From the Journals of Agni, Dwarven Smith

Cuchuwyn
7:44:00 am GMT 06/11/19
The World and the Blood in it.

It started out with nothing more than an hint. I suppose in retrospect so many things do, but this one I confess I never expected. A stone picked up by chance. A bit of writing. A random meeting, with the one woman on the island who knows more of the history of this place than perhaps any other...

It took us a few weeks to work out the clues. Another few weeks to recruit those we could trust, arrange meetings in places where we weren't likely to be overheard. Wards and traps set up to alert us, and even then we relied on spells and our wits to keep us safe. I'd say I regretted bonking the elf over the head with my hammer that one time, but I don't.

Because at the end of it, we found what was hidden. We found the paths that lay dormant for so long.

I have seen the blood of the world. I have tasted what it can do, when given the chance.

I can't say I regret it.
I can't say I haven't thought about what a proper smith could shape it into.

I can't say I'll never come back...

-From the journals of Agni Cuchuwynson
Cuchuwyn
4:37:18 am GMT 06/13/19
Turn on a Light

It's not just things for the fair I've been making of late. True, that occupies much of my time, but I'm not deaf. I hear the rumors of war flying around, of the elves fighting creatures of shadow and horror in the woods to the north, of Hamley besieged by spiders bigger than boulders. I'm not blind either. I see the effect it has on travelers, even on the soldiers who patrol the roads. Darren's hardly talked about anything else since I've met him except how the Empyrean are strong in Hamley but they have to keep fighting, keep battling against the things coming down out of the trees against them.

My ma didn't raise me to be a fighter. She told me a long time ago it wasn't really in my blood to do battle like the great Defenders of the 'Song. I'm not sure I agree with her completely- I'm a dwarf after all, and my blood gets riled the same as any other, but I know what she was aiming at. I'm not the strongest or the fastest of our people. I'm never going to be the one who holds the shield wall firm against the Duregar, or leads a charge against a pack of mountain giants. Whether it's my blood, like my ma says, or just how I was made, I've come to accept that I'm not going to be winning the contests of strength during the festivities of a holiday.

But I'm not blind, and I'm not deaf, and I'm not dead yet. And I can't pretend like what happens to Hamley and the woods wouldn't affect me, wouldn't affect the Hammersmiths. And as much as it galls me to admit it, the elves I've met haven't been terrible. Fairly nice, all things considered. And not a one of them has licked a tree. Yet. And the rumor I hear most is that the elves have been facing not just the spiders and the crazy witch, but the darkness. A darkness so black it feels like it's closing in on you, so black you can't see where you're going or where you came from. In short, a darkness that would make it hellishly hard to do any sort of decent scouting, let alone fighting. And that sounded like a problem I could help with.

And so I experimented with a few things, until I found the right way to take a bit of sunlight and store it for later. I based the design on a pretty basic light spell, one of the first things my forgemaster taught me how to make- much easier than trying to put a torch in just the right place. I managed to keep the light spell in a gem, and set that gem inside an amulet, the idea being that whoever wore it could activate the gem and release the magic. It took me a few tries to get it right, and the forge was extra bright for a bit, but I did manage it eventually.

And so I lugged five of them up and put them in a barrel just outside the elven stronghold. I'd only been there once or twice before, and I'd noticed that they're damn near as touchy as we dwarves about strangers. I figured showing up with a bunch of unknown magical items in a barrel was a good way to grow feathers. But I told the scouts what I was up to, left the stuff there with a note of explanation, and now I guess I'll see what happens. Maybe nothing, but at least they might be useful to those who go out into that darkness, if nothing else.

Felt a bit odd to be giving things away too, but I suppose stranger things have happened. And this is war, after all. I have no doubt it won't be the strangest thing to come of this.

-From the journals of Agni Cuchuwynson

[ image disabled ]
[ image disabled ]
[ image disabled ]
[ image disabled ]
Cuchuwyn
5:20:51 am GMT 09/02/19
Excerpts From Agni's Journal
Day 67: Just over two months now since I left the 'Song. In that time I can't say I've been bored. Making plans for walls, smithing stuff for folk all over the island, it's certainly kept me busy. If I'm honest, I'm happy to let things slow down a little. I didn't come out here to get myself killed, after all, just to learn about smithing from folks who do things differently than us dwarves. Still though, when you see folks getting killed, any dwarf worth his rock will stand up and be counted...

Day 74: Sparky got into it with a hobgoblin today. Apparently he was trying to steal some adamantine from the kiln where I'd been preparing it for a project. Seems to be ok, but I'll have to keep a closer eye on the entrance to the forge, especially if the goblins think they can nick some shiny bits by raiding!

Day 88: I keep hearing more and more rumors about these darkfey. Part of me had hoped they'd be happy with what they got in Feywood, but another part of me knew they wouldn't be. And so now it seems like they're looking south. And I'm starting to worry. Feywood was far from the 'Song, but Greenvale's pretty close...

Day 92: I made a fine mithral shortsword today, only to mess it up by making a mistake with the engraving of my mark. Now it says "A.G.", and that won't work at all. Oh well. Into the scrap pile I suppose...

Cuchuwyn
5:16:28 am GMT 06/30/20
Agni pens a note and delivers it to the Bloodguard Fortress, where he leaves it with one of the on-duty guards.

Garrik,

Heard you moved here of late. Reckon I need ta' speak with you 'bout a mutual friend of ours. Reckon you know where ta' find me, aye?

-Agni

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, scratch_flannigan, jewwe, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 21
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: ChaosGuardian
  • Most ever online: 155
    Guests: 155, Members: 0 on Sunday 11 December 2016 - 13:15:05
Now Playing
1. Vincent Coll
2. Valfire
3. Exek Rollins
4. Felicity