Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Shards
    Shards  2 months ago

Happy New Year!

• Edrick
    Edrick  2 months ago

Happy New Year all!

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

You the man thanks mate

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

There it is!

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

-Clickedy-

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

Anyone have the thain discord link, thankyou

• Payne
    Payne  5 months ago

Edrick... mad

• Edrick
    Edrick  5 months ago

Payne

• !ofAkindGuy2000
    !ofAkindGuy2000  5 months ago

Thanks.

• Glognar
    Glognar  5 months ago

There is! You need to examine the omnidye to find the info. I also think that there is still an error though in one of the numbers.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hiding in Plain Sight

first  2 3 4 5 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Felix Headwinkle
8:53:13 pm GMT 10/03/10
Felix Headwinkle Registered Member #960 Joined: 2:07:50 am GMT 01/22/07
Plans in Motion Stay in Motion: part 1

Dampf had become a very important component to Benny’s plans. As much as he hated the idea of asking so much from a friend there were none other he could trust.

“I would ask that you present an idea to your mayor. I believe the ogres may also be a threat to the Cobblewall Inn,” explained Benny. “Perhaps if the mayor stationed some troops there, it would also give the advantage of a flanking in case the ogres make a bigger attempt for the Burrow.”

“I can run this idea by Greenleaf,” assured Dampf. “I also have ideas for preparing ourselves against them.”

Benny sighed and ran his hand through his hair, “Dampf…I would ask…instead of building some contraption to keep only the Sandburrow safe, that we do as much as we can to end this experiment with the ogres for good.”

Dampf frowned and nodded, “I see your point. But my idea would outfit us against any other threats as well, and better prepare us for invasions and hostile take-overs.”

Benny looked a little disappointed, “Do you really believe the hin must stand all on their own? Can you not even see the possibility of other races helping each other?”

“Benny,” Dampf rubbed his eyes, “I have seen my village taken over twice. And I watched as one by one, the elves, dwarves, and even the Keepers and the C.D.F., walked away during the War of the Ridgeshield. When it comes down to it, we are on our own.”

Benny frowned but nodded in agreement, “…I undertand…maybe someday I can change that…”
Felix Headwinkle
5:58:07 am GMT 10/07/10
Anatomy of a Shapeshifter: part 2

The deer slowly lowered its head, its tongue lightly lapped at cool refreshing stream water; its ears stayed perked up listening to the surrounding area. While enjoying its refreshing drink, the deer was completely unaware of the wolves crouched in the nearby brush. They quietly snarled and bared their teeth licking their chops. Suddenly, one of the wolves leapt from the brush and charged the deer, the others quickly fallowed suite. The deer didn’t even need to see the wolves to know it was in trouble, letting its normal skittish behavior take hold, the deer began galloping putting its urge for to survive in each and every stampeding step.

The wolves nearly caught up with the fit deer but their scrawny bodies and lack of energy made their panting burning legs feel heavier and heavier. The gap between the hunters and the hunted grew wider and wider until it was a certain that the deer had won another day of life. From seemingly out of nowhere, a wolf leapt from behind a rock catching the deer’s throat in its snapping jaws. One quick tug and the chase was done. The wolf pack came to a halt when they saw the rogue wolf licking its chops, their hard-fought prey lying dead on the moist grass a few feet away.

The starved wolfs all growled and barked at the rogue wolf that had stolen their kill but the rogue was fitter, stronger, younger, more then a match for the whole pack in their sorry state. The rogue wolf simply watched the starved pack for a moment before howling a long, low howl. The other wolves instantly softened up; the rogue wolf moved out of the packs way leaving nothing between them and the meal first meal they’d had in days. Without hesitation the wolves descended on the deer’s corpse chewing off as much as they could in as few bites as possible.

The rogue wolf simply watched as the pack ate, a look of contentment if one could imagine such a look on an animal. The rogue wolf’s ears perked up, a twig snapped not to far off; a familiar smell filled the dawn air. The wolf only managed to take its first step before a bolt sunk deep into its hind leg. The early morning feast was abruptly dispersed as the shouts and footsteps of hunters surrounded them. In the case of the wolf pack scattering, the rogue wolf managed to disappear into the nearby woods, a trial of blood following it.

ARRGH! Gah, my damn leg…can’t change with this bolt in me…I just…just wantedto help the hunt…

………………..

The sun had not yet crept over the hill while the bleeding wolf limped into the clearing. Out of exhaustion and pain, the wolf fell over; it weakly tried to move its leg but it was no longer possible to support weight. Slowly the wolf began to close when it heard something moving towards it. Too weak to fight back, the wounded animal could only whimper and hope the oncoming danger would pass.

“What do we have here,” asked a robed man holding a torch and cautiously approaching. The wolf strained to turn its head to see the oncoming human.

[ image disabled ]

The wolf rested its head on the ground again letting the human examine him.

[ image disabled ]

“Okay boy, this is going to hurt a bit,” said the man trying to calm the animal as he inspected the bolt. The wolf stayed compliant and calm despite its grave injury. Slowly, the robed man started extracting the bolt; the wolf whimpered and wallowed but stayed as still as possible.

[ image disabled ]

When the bolt was finally pulled from the wolf’s flesh, the pain from the wound diminished greatly. The robed man continued to clean the wound before putting his open palm over it. Slowly, a bright light glowed between his palm and the wolf’s wound. The wolf ground its teeth and growled at the pain, as if the wound was being drawn from its body like poison. When the light finally faded, the wolf’s wounded leg looked good-as-new; the robed man on the other hand promptly fell to the ground, a small circle of blood seeping through his robe from the newly formed bolt-like wound on his leg.

The wolf quickly rose to its feet taking note of the delirious man now sporting the same pain the wolf had just been experiencing. The wolf watched the man for a moment before howling loudly to the dawn sky. The howl seemed to echo and distort along with the wolf’s blurring and growing body. Suddenly Benny stood in the wolf’s place, peering down at the good-samaritan that had just helped him.

…damn…and I just wanted to hunt…

Benny hoisted the wounded man over his shoulder and carried him through the nearby city gates of Steinkreis.

…………………

The robed man began to stir; Benny was busy replacing the healing wrap around the kind stranger’s leg. Once the wrap was tightly secured, Benny helped the man to sitting position.

“Are you alright,” asked Benny watching the man intently, curious about his condition but more so his memory of the event.

[ image disabled ]

“Not many would stop to help a wild animal,” said Benny. “I thank you for that.”

“I often help those in need but…how did you get involved,” asked the bewildered man still trying to piece his memory together.

Benny paused for a moment, “…it was mine, a pet. I was looking for it, I found you.”
Felix Headwinkle
9:11:33 pm GMT 10/08/10
Plans in Motion Stay in Motion: part 2

“I also wish to speak to you of…a possible invention,” explained Benny.

“I am always interested,” replied Dampf, “please go on.”

“I’m sure you’re aware of the various undead territories,” said Benny staring down at the gnome artificer, “I’ve a feeling that if these places go unchecked much longer their undeath will spread further. I would ask of your opinions on a possible energy fence of sorts; caging in the undead corruption.”

“Undead,” asked Dampf. “I have vast experience is dealing with undead. Some of my earliest devices were anti-undead in nature.”

“You would consider it then,” said Benny sounding hopeful.

“You are only interested in fencing them in,” asked Dampf.

Benny briefly looked like he was about to explain something difficult, “Undead go against every principle of nature…but nature has a way of creating them at times. To try and kill them all would be the same as trying to kill the ocean. But it doesn’t mean they can’t be held back.”

Dampf arched his brow, “You have a strange way of thinking, Benny…most would support the wholesale destruction of undead.”

“Most would find their mission never-ending.”

“True enough. I will draw up some plans for your proposed idea.”

“Thank you,” said Benny with a nod.

“Of course.”
Felix Headwinkle
3:49:30 am GMT 10/10/10
The Time of Gnolls and Elves: part 1

“Vedui`,” greeted the blond-haired elf as he past a group of passing elven scouts patrolling the border lands between the Feywood and the moors. Day was usually a safe time for patrols but today was to be quite different. The blond-haired elf heard the distant shouts of fighting and the clash of steel. He drew his sword and charged toward the fighting. When he managed to get through the mist, the elf found himself in the middle of a large scale fight between a few elves heavily outnumbered by gnolls. The elf threw himself into the fray breaking the gnoll’s formations.

[ image disabled ]

When the fight was over, the elves stood victories but just barely. They all stood around panting at each other.

[ image disabled ]

“Fine,” replied the female scout. “Are you from the fort?”

“No, I am not from these woods,” said the blond-haired elf. “My name is Sermak Lurd Wanar. I thought the gnollish attacks were not this bad.”

“Normally they are not,” chimed in one of the other elves. “The gnolls usually send a few scouts to probe the defenses but this was something else.” Suddenly a horn blast echoed from the forest; the elves all turned their heads in unison towards the forest. In a flash, all the elvish scouts were charging back to the Feywood fort. They emerged through the thicket to see gnolls throwing themselves at the fort’s defenses; howling and growling like animals as they dashed around the edges of the cliff sides crouching low and keeping light-footed.

[ image disabled ]

The scouts all flooded the gnolls attacking them from behind, creating a flanking formation; the gnolls didn’t stand a chance as their vast numbers were snuffed out but superior elven fighting style. Though the elves suffered no causalities, the event had shaken up many of the elven citizens as it was the first time the gnolls ever dared such a bold action before. For ages, the gnolls and elves had stayed a stalemate; the gnolls with superior numbers and the elves with superior weaponry and skill.

Something’s not right, the gnolls would never risk losing so much weaponry on such a futile raid…
Felix Headwinkle
4:47:17 am GMT 10/15/10
The Time of Gnolls and Elves: part 2

Deep in the marshes past the Feywood, a black feathered bird flapped its wings gliding through the mist. The bird perched atop a leafless, dyeing marsh tree and scanned the surroundings. Dirty salty marsh water filled the air along with the distinct odor of wet-dog hair. Suddenly, the large stone tower in the middle of the Gnoll settlement grew bright with a roaring fire illuminating surrounds.

The bird cocked its head and peered out at the surrounding bay. Slowly the night was filled with the sounds of sloshing waves and whipping sails. The mist seemed to be pushed out of the way as the small boat approached the flimsily made dock; it slowed and dropped anchor lowering a wooden plank. Gnolls flocked to the dock watching the ship as well, a few of them snarling and snapping their jaws. From the plank, descended a man wearing familiar colors and a stern look on his face; he approached the biggest gnoll in the group and stood before him.

The gnoll looked the human sailor over for a moment before nodding to him and barking at the other gnolls to clear a path. The sailor turned back to the ship and whistled loudly, a dozen sailors began departing the ship all hoisting crates.

[ image disabled ]

The sailors carried the crates off the dock and disappeared into the gnoll’s settlement. The bird cocked its head and dared to move in for a closer view; the bird flapped around watching looking over the ship and the sailors. Their colors and markings were unmistakable.

[ image disabled ]

That would explain the gnolls’ sudden increase in weaponry. Damn…why’d it have to be Raven’s Watch…

……………….

“Hurry up ya sea’dawgs,” ordered the captain as he paced his ship. The sailors all groaned and grumbled but continued to lift up one crate after another and march them onboard the ship. One of the older sailors wiped his brow and slapped one of the fresher crewmen on the back.

[ image disabled ]

The sailors gave an annoyed look at the older crewmember and grumbled to themselves. Crew of the Raven’s Watch ship, continued on with their work unconcerned with the pesky seagulls still soaring around them, even the rather curious seagull that had been hovering over their operation for weeks.

Two dozen crates every month…all filled with weapons…how the hell am I going to stop this one?
Ramana Jala
3:56:44 pm GMT 10/15/10
Ramana Jala Registered Member #1033 Joined: 12:18:42 am GMT 04/25/07
It was a dark night, the new moon barely a sliver in the sky, as Jalla was relaxing at home camp in southeastern Feywood, playing with a couple of the orphan wolflings along the shore of the bog, when one of the younglings gave a whine, looking out to sea. She peered out to see what was attracting the young wolf's attention, and could just make out a vessel, running without lanterns silently going north, about a hundred yards out.

This seemed suspicious in some way, and while the forays of pirates were usually of little concern to her, this activity so close to home warranted investigation. So she took the young wolves back to the care of Sola, left Krin a note in the tent, and changed into a bird form to fly up the coast and track the ship to see where it went.

She followed the ship until it surprisingly docked in gnoll territory. Alighting in a tree, she waited to see what would happen. When she saw them start unloading crates onto the docks, she nearly fell off of the branch in her surprise. The break they had been waiting for! A clue finally to who was supplying the simplistic creatures with all their goods and technologies.

Staying inconspicously in the tree, she continued to watch. One of the crates was opened to show the contents, and a weapon was shown. This was very worrying.... Where did this ship come from?

She waited until they were finished, then followed the ship back south. It docked at Raven's Watch, and the sailors dispersed into the town, presumably to go drinking.

Jalla had to tell others of this. She flew back home and told Krin, and they rushed to inform the Feywood Guard and the Tel'Varataurie and the Council....

Jalla left a message in the Tel'Varataurie aerie:

We've discovered a clue as to the mysterious supply lines and new weapons of the Gnolls. A dark unlit ship was seen traveling on a nearly moonless night up to the Gnoll docks and unloading crates, including those containing weapons. The ship returned to Raven's Watch afterwards. We don't know what group is doing this, or why, but let us investigate this further. The increased attacks on our border recently prove that this is of imminent concern.
Felix Headwinkle
8:05:42 pm GMT 10/16/10
The Time of Gnolls and Elves: part 3

The Feywoods was a murmur with news of the recent discovery scattering from one elf to another. Sermak passed through the crowds over elves and eavesdropped at the shops; elven ears indeed heard a great deal.

[ image disabled ]

Damn…this will be a lot more difficult now…time for a new plan…the council and guard won’t take to kindly to an outside elf poking his nose into their business. Tel’Varataurie it is.

[ image disabled ]

wrote ...

Vedui' il'er

It is my understanding that you are protectors of the forest. I too hold the forest in high regards and would seek its safety. If the rumors spreading through the woods are true, the Tel’Varataurie has recently become aware of the weapon shipments arriving from the villainous Raven’s Watch being delivered to the monstrous Gnolls. I have more information to offer you: route schedules, delivery numbers, crew names and ranks, and more.

I wish to speak to the Tel’Varataurie more in person regarding further information. I am not native to the Feywood but I routinely stop by the Wild Wants shop, if the shopkeeper would see fit to hold a letter, I shall await your word there.

Namaarie,
Sermak Lurd Wanar
Ramana Jala
6:57:41 pm GMT 10/17/10
Ramana Jala Registered Member #1033 Joined: 12:18:42 am GMT 04/25/07
There were few problems so close to home as that of the Gnolls upon the northern border of the Feywood. It had long been wondered how such innately stupid creatures could be maintaining a settlement, including even using the technology of farming, which certainly was foreign to their base nature. The fact that they had docks, and a lighthouse, had long begged the question of if someone had been supplying them and furnishing them with these technologies. Many forays had been made into their lands, to push them back, cull their numbers, and investigate these mysteries, without much success. Recently their attacks had become closer to the Stronghold, and more aggressive. Using weapons that, again, they surely could not make themselves.

It had been all very worrying, until fortune had blessed the Feywood Elves with this clue. Jalla had cautioned discretion, but the Feywood Guard had somehow let the word leak about the secret shipments to the gnolls, and now unfortunately the whole Feywood knew about it, the news running through the populace like wildfire. She only hoped that none others outside the village would hear about it, before more information could be found and acted upon. She'd left a note in the Tel'Varataurie aerie, but Krin and she hadn't gone to the Council, as the Lieutenant of the Guard had told them that he would take care of informing the Elders.

As Jalla had gone back up to the aerie to see if any had left a response to her note, she found a note slipped under the door.

Vedui' il'er

It is my understanding that you are protectors of the forest. I too hold the forest in high regards and would seek its safety. If the rumors spreading through the woods are true, the Tel’Varataurie has recently become aware of the weapon shipments arriving from the villainous Raven’s Watch being delivered to the monstrous Gnolls. I have more information to offer you: route schedules, delivery numbers, crew names and ranks, and more.

I wish to speak to the Tel’Varataurie more in person regarding further information. I am not native to the Feywood but I routinely stop by the Wild Wants shop, if the shopkeeper would see fit to hold a letter, I shall await your word there.

Namaarie,
Sermak Lurd Wanar
Jalla's heart leapt to read this, another blessing. She hurriedlly scribed a reply, addressing it to the stranger, and left it with Glendel.

Vedui' mellon,

We are very interested indeed in whatever information you can supply us about this matter, and urgently so. Such information needs to be taken to the Feywood Council straightaway. Please come meet me in the Grove of the Ancient Tree just west of the Stronghold, where I will camp to await you. So that you may recognize me, know that I am a half-elf woman about five and a half feet tall, with auburn hair.

Jalla Desat
Druid of the Source of All Life
Tel'Varataurie
Thranduil Greenleaf
2:15:30 am GMT 10/25/10
Thranduil Greenleaf Registered Member #1145 Joined: 8:28:45 pm GMT 08/30/07

Styvn had long known the gnolls were being supplied and trained by intruders from the sea, but he had never been able to ascertain where the intruders came from. Having read the notes from Jalla and the newcomer, Sermak, that mystery was now solved. Although he found the knowledge of who the source was disturbing, it was no big surprise. Raven's Watch was a cesspool of miscreants and ne'er-do-wells. The majority of them would slit their own mothers throat for a few silver coins, so carrying on business with the gnolls was just another means of aquiring funds. The question that remained was who was behind these business arangements with the Feywoods enemies, and was there a motive beyond simple profit. Styvn would have to take time from his search of the northlands for clues to the disappearnce of his beloved Letheria to do a little scouting around the Raven's Watch. Whoever was dealing with the gnolls would have to be discovered and stopped. Nothing short of putting a halt to it would be acceptable.

Felix Headwinkle
4:23:33 am GMT 10/25/10
The Time of Gnolls and Elves: part 4

A few days after the messages were exchanged:

[ image disabled ]

…………………………..

“The shipments are delivered monthly from Raven’s Watch to the gnoll marshes; they always travel on weeks where the moon is faded which may be why no one has caught sight of the ship’s movements until now. At least two dozen crates are exchanged. The ship is called ‘Fortune’s Favor,’ it is one of the Raven Watch’s faster ships so it takes the further sea route well outside the coastline under Krel’s direction. The captain of Fortune’s Favor is a human by the name of Fitzroy Culled; he is very experienced in the ways of sea travel and, if rumors hold true, is quite a fearsome tactician. Details about the next delivery are given to the gnolls at the time of the current delivery. The ship always waits out in the waves until the gnolls signal the all clear for the ship’s arrival by lighting the small lighthouse tower in the middle of their settlement.”

Sermak leaned back pausing a moment to let all the information he’d just told Jalla sink in. Once prompted too, he continued, “As an outsider, I understand this is a Feywood matter and that your people will handle it the way they see fit. I would offer my aid should you request it as well as a warning to consider before the Tel’Varataurie take any action. A direct assault on Raven’s Watch would be ill-advised. It is heavily fortified, could created a political backlash if sufficient evidence of their dealings were not brought to light, and it could also direct Krel’s ambitions away from simple profit to full-scale war against the wood. Likewise a pure assault on the gnolls would prove futile as they have several hidden depots where they could easily rebuild their numbers and equipment.”

Sermak paused a moment, his face still cool and calculating as is custom for most elves, “I would offer a suggestion though: destroying the gnolls’ docks and Fortune’s Favor during one of the supply-runs could be the most prudent course of action. If Krel were made to understand that the price of supplying weapons to the gnolls was far greater then the profit that would come from it, perhaps the Feywood could rid itself of this problem without it spiraling into something worse. Capture the Raven’s Watch sailors alive and hold them on trail for their crimes; it will allow the Feywood to keep face as well as gain political support from the other territories.”

Sermak bowed his head respectfully, “Of course this is all suggestion, I do not presume to tell you, the Tel’Varataurie or the citizens of the Feywood their affairs. I have no more information to offer at this time.” Sermak stood back silently and respectfully allowing Jalla to speak.
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 41
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: Heisenbeast
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
1. Seth von Hendricks
2. Elvalith Nain
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org