Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  1 day ago

Section Six starts in about 1 hour and 20 minutes . That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

Good(ish) characters of LEVEL 11 or below.

We will meet at the Iron Minogon in Webster's Landing. Just assume that your character received a mysterious invitation.

I will be IG as Taran if you have any questions!

• Raven1210
    Raven1210  1 day ago

Hello Yasmyn! grin

• Squidget
    Squidget  2 days ago

No worries Yas, PMs have been busted on the forums for ages, we just use Discord now. Hello!

• Yasmyn
    Yasmyn  2 days ago

Hey all. Trying to send a PM but failing. Would like to say hey current DMs. And sorry.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  1 week ago

Section Six starts in 1 about hour. That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

We will meet at the Iron Minogon in Webster's Landing. Just assume that your character received a mysterious invitation.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 weeks ago

Section Six starts in 1 about hour. That will be 7pm CST (GMT - 6).

• animosomina
    animosomina  2 weeks ago

Welcome to Thain friend.

• Gwondier
    Gwondier  2 weeks ago

Thanks Zhymm! I'm in.

• Zhymm
    Zhymm  2 weeks ago

Here's an invite code to the Thain Discord server

-Clickedy-

Discord codes usually expire fairly quickly. So, use it ASAP.

Most Thain players use it for text messages, posting screenshots and RL topics. Rarely for voice comms, I can recall only one instance in the past two years in which I got a fellow player to join me in its voice channel.

Good luck,

Old Man Zhymm

• Gwondier
    Gwondier  2 weeks ago

I understand there's a discord channel for the server. I've looked around, but can't find it. Can that be stickied if so? If not, would like a link, please.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Major General
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Donations

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
WildKarrde
11:21:34 pm GMT 01/04/06
WildKarrde Registered Member #660 Joined: 9:16:34 pm GMT 11/30/05
So I was perusing the FAQ and noticed a wide gaping hole...

"How can I donate to Thain?"

I know this all isn't free to host, and I imagine you have some appreciative users who would like to help out. Maybe set up a PayPal link?
Taniki
11:28:13 pm GMT 01/04/06
Taniki Registered Member #292 Joined: 4:48:48 am GMT 10/04/04
Handover Phist had a donation link through paypal to donate when he was hosting but it seems it was never something Bonesly put up being our overall entire Thain host.

I would try contacting him through a private message or perhaps here and see what he has to say smile
Bonesly
4:27:30 am GMT 01/05/06
Bonesly Always Preceding Miggen
Registered Member #136 Joined: 4:31:27 am GMT 06/13/04
Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm set. If I change my mind you'll see the old link go up on the right-hand side. smile

It's unlikely that I'll change my mind as I need to be comfortable bearing any and all potential site-hosting costs and Yahoo's pricing plan doesn't make me flinch, but their resource allocation for PHP/MySQL leaves much to be desired (thus the forum is fairly snappy late at night EST and often abysmal at other times). However a Virtual Private Server is expensive enough to make me flinch (and may not be much better than what we have--I just have no experience with them) and a dedicated server is beyond my means (Cox won't allow me to host a site on a consumer cable line). On the other hand, it doesn't matter how affordable Yahoo's service is, if it doesn't provide what we need... so yeah, I'll think on upgrading service to VPS and if I'm convinced it's worth the added cost, a donations link will go up, but don't count on it. wink

P.S. My wife says you are all free to make donations to her emergency jewelry fund! tongue
Taniki
6:01:37 pm GMT 01/05/06
Dedicateds are not pretty, I think the one used for one game I play is £80 a month which is roughly double that in your American Dollars.

I think we manage quite well even with the slowness-ness at times, its not drastic. wink On top of that they had the server end fixed several times and even then it still played shoddy, so they had to swap to another frown

We are safe with Yahoo grin
AmberOfDzu
6:24:54 pm GMT 01/05/06
AmberOfDzu Registered Member #279 Joined: 4:17:59 pm GMT 09/25/04
There is an active thread in the bioware forums discussing the legal implications of donation systems to support servers. Money For XP Legal?. Don't let the odd title dissuade you from reading it -- there are enough legal pitfalls to donating money to support a server that I'd recommend against it.

Even a private and secret donation direct to Bonesly could be in violation of the EULA from what I read. Bonesly seems content and able to shoulder the monetary cost of running the server for the time being, and we should applaud that and support him in ways other than money.
Bonesly
9:24:23 pm GMT 01/05/06
Bonesly Always Preceding Miggen
Registered Member #136 Joined: 4:31:27 am GMT 06/13/04
Quick clarification... the game-server is completely separate from the web-site. The game-server is on a box in my home and I'll never ask for donations on that end. The web-site server is on a Yahoo commercial server rack. If a PayPal link ever goes back up, it would strictly be to offset web-site hosting costs (if we moved to a more expensive hosting service), which has no direct bearing on Bioware's game software. As an aside, the EULA specifically prohibits a requirement for pay-to-play or any monetary profit while hosting a NWN game. Donations to off-set web-site costs are not a requirement, they are voluntary contributions that would provide absolutely no in-game preference to the donor. I would imagine it's not worth Bioware's efforts to engage in littigation over donations, no matter how removed from hosting the NWN game using their SW, which fail to meet the legal criteria for a successful suit. Edit: I just read Amber's link--I can't believe someone would do that... frown [ Edited 09:43:46 PM 01/05/06 ]
Yasmyn
10:22:27 pm GMT 01/05/06
Yasmyn FEAR the Moorhen of Death (tm).
Registered Member #26 Joined: 4:31:20 pm GMT 02/25/04
*nods* As I understand it, what IS bad is a system that confers in-game or otherwise benefits on those who donate. This essentially means that they are paying their way through the game. So places that say "donate £10 and your character gets a weapon of their choice!", for example, are breaking the EULA. Also bad is a system where players absolutely HAVE to pay to play on the world and are not allowed to play unless they play. Taking donations towards time spent building for or running a PW is also likely to be frowned upon, but where those donations are made solely of the players' own free will and with complete knowledge that the donation will give them absolutely no added benefit, I think Bioware would be quite hard pressed to make a case such as this stand up (i.e. offer incontrovertible proof that players were paying money for Bioware's product to someone else and receiving something from that someone in return), and I seriously doubt it would ever be worth their time or money to even start proceedings in this sort of situation. And yeah, there are a lot of PWs that do this kind of thing. I can name at least 3 or 4 off the top of my head that offer players considerable IG benefits if they donate to the server. frown They then try to justify it by saying that "it's not for the Bioware content, it's for server maintenance/upgrades/yadayada". But if it isn't for the Bioware content, then why do the players that *do* donate get rewards in the form of Bioware content (gold, items, wings)? mad [ Edited 10:27:05 PM 01/05/06 ]
Taniki
11:12:16 pm GMT 01/05/06
Thats quite suprising and very bad sounding to me. I think a donation if and when it is affordable should not be a problem towards server costs and such but unfortunately there is the other side of it which suggets favours are gained. confused frown

Oh well. Thank you for the clarification, it is nice to know these rules and regulations are out there I reckon many people never heard of them (Such as myself).

Take care,
Taniki
Shattered Verse
11:38:19 pm GMT 01/05/06
Shattered Verse Registered Member #214 Joined: 10:08:47 am GMT 08/15/04
Bonesly wrote ...
Edit: I just read Amber's link--I can't believe someone would do that... frown

Thats why the boy is terminally insane, Bonesly.
Vaedryan
2:03:49 am GMT 01/06/06
Vaedryan Registered Member #345 Joined: 2:28:49 am GMT 11/25/04
Yas wrote ...
I seriously doubt it would ever be worth their time or money to even start proceedings in this sort of situation.
I'm not sure they would have to start proceedings. I imagine they could just cut the PW's server off - keep it from receiving updates, etc. I'm not sure if it is technically possible, but if it is, that's the approach I'd take if I were them.
1 2 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, jewwe, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 37
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: Vaeldara
  • Most ever online: 208
    Guests: 206, Members: 2 on Tuesday 13 July 2021 - 20:11:48
Now Playing
1. Gunn Dommon
2. Alugast Dy'Nodel
3. Janelle Briarwood
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org