Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  11 hours ago

The IC posts over the Crater Lake events for Nature Night are finally finished!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  11 hours ago

!lol

It really was something..a bit like a can..that the Sandworms went into !

Magic and Gnomish Technology to the rescue!

• Vaedryan
    Vaedryan  12 hours ago

*chuckles* Love the name of the most recent NN, Scratch!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  18 hours ago

Nature Night will start in about 2 hours!

Please join us in the Wild Grove in Grauer Suden.

I will be IG as Dauken. Feel free to shoot me a tell with any questions. smile

• AmberOfDzu
    AmberOfDzu  1 day ago

Hi Scratch!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 days ago

Amber!

• AmberOfDzu
    AmberOfDzu  2 days ago

*wave* @Vaerdryan grin

• Vaedryan
    Vaedryan  3 days ago

Omg! I spy an Avarith!!! grin

• Jandari
    Jandari  3 days ago

DORF night has kicked off with epic bouts of arm wrestling!

• archgrendel
    archgrendel  3 days ago

Payne is just jealous wink

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Community Outreach - Academy of the Silver Scroll

1 2 3 4  last
LAN_402 LAN_403
Virahor
9:53:58 am GMT 05/25/09
Virahor Registered Member #1075 Joined: 10:48:57 pm GMT 06/19/07
An ancient sage once spake: "Beware he who would deny you knowledge, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

A sun-blushed evening in Steinkreis. Kaeridris entered the orphanage and spotted the Lady Francine, deep in thought.

"Good evening, my Lady-"

She looked up: "I'm afraid I'm a tad too busy right now, perhaps if you could return at a later time?"

"My apologies for disturbing you my Lady, I appreciate your time is precious. What I have to say will not take long. My name is Kaeridris, follower of Oghma, and I greatly admire the work you do for the defenceless children of the city.

I would firstly like to give you a donation" *hands her a small pouch of gold*

[ image disabled ]

"...and secondly offer my services as tutor for these children. I can instruct them in reading and writing the common tongue, and for those who prove more capable, elvish, as well as many areas of lore. I am on good terms with Tomas Bibh, curator of the Library, and may also be able to negotiate access to books for the children."

"If my proposal is amenable, I can be reached at apartment 7, Fownes' Lane. Messages can be left with the landlord, Fitzroy the Corpulent. My thanks for your time."

He bowed smartly and left while she pondered his words.

[ image disabled ]

Virahor
6:55:36 am GMT 05/27/09
The Lady Francine was a busy woman, no doubt of that, and after a few days Kaeridris accepted that the chances of her replying after their first meeting were slim. No matter, there were many others whose lives could be enriched. He spent a day walking the streets of Steinkreis, giving the most vulnerable the same message:

Hello friend...

[ image disabled ]

Do you wish to enrich your life by reading from the books in the great library in this city?

[ image disabled ]

Tales of great adventures, the secrets of the arcane, the nature of the gods who watch over us, and the songs you hear from the opera house....maybe you would like to write your own?

[ image disabled ]

Or perhaps you would like to gain employment as a scribe? It is a well-known fact that lettered folk earn considerably more than manual labourers.

[ image disabled ]

If so, then please join me in the main square for free lessons in literacy. If you do not wish to learn of the miracle of words then allow me to convince you - for the first time you attend I will provide a stipend of 5 gold pieces for your time, each. The first lesson begins an hour after sunrise, at the end of this week, in the market square.

((If your character would like to learn from Kaeridris, please post here or find me IG))
Virahor
4:58:20 pm GMT 05/29/09
The first lesson had gone as well as could be expected, although Kaeridris was certain a large proportion of the people were only there for the free gold and writing materials. Surprisingly, a number of these folk returned for the subsequent lessons, perhaps more to gossip amongst themselves and gaggle at sight of an elf teaching Steinkreis' most under-privileged and idle how to read.

In between the serious business of teaching the alphabet, and after the classes, these layabouts were more than happy to discuss any and all goings-on in the city, and Kaeridris found himself picking up all kinds of trivia and tidbits about the latest fashions, scandals, and conspiracies. While he was no charmer, a century of interaction with humans had given him the experience to enquire more on anything of interest without appearing too impertinent or suspicious.

Of course, a little help from the gods never hurt, either....

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Virahor
8:28:19 am GMT 06/07/09
The lessons continued, though Kaeridris had only two regular students - one of the older children, who didn't speak much, and didn't seem to have anywhere else to go, and the begger Kaeridris had first approached in the city slums. Others came to learn and went as they pleased, and the gaggle of gossipers were always present, but these two were most eager to learn, and Kaeridris began relying on them to teach themselves and the others when he needed to travel the island.
Virahor
9:27:57 am GMT 06/13/09
Tanna had an annoying way of being correct....a talent normally possessed by Elves who had outlived several generations of humans, which made it even more infuriating in someone so young. Humans were stubborn, foolish creatures at times, and offering them the entire wealth of his education on a silver platter was no way to encourage them.

A little incentive was needed to inspire his would-be pupils. He shortened his lessons, but offered those who could write cleanly gold if they stayed and transcribed whichever books he presented to them. Two birds killed in Oghma's service with one stone.

Feeling very pleased with himself, he then declared his two star pupils Thain's first lucky recipients of "Oghma's Studentships". While any who turned up to his lessons would still be permitted to learn to read and write in the common tongue, only those who applied themselves to attain a studentship would receive after-hours lessons in Elvish and lore, access to Kaeridris' writing materials, Oghma's blessing, and of course, a recommendation of employment as a scribe signed by Kaeridris.
Virahor
9:49:44 am GMT 06/20/09
Tanna had big ones. Ideas, that is, and deep pockets to go with them. A surprise donation of 10,000 gold pieces, for him to spend as he saw fit to...what was it? "Educate the chimps"? "Help the unwashed"? Something to that effect, and Kaeridris had spent some time evaluating the different possibilities for spending the gold before settling on the idea of a proper, bricks and mortar school. A permanent institution would have more of an effect to inspire people than any wordplay he could come up with in the town square, and with care could develop into a real educational legacy for the city.

The best part? The lessons would still be free for the students, and with Tanna's donation he could afford the resources for teaching more technical subjects; astronomy, mathematics, architecture, engineering, in addition to literature, history, geography, and politics. In addition to permanent students there would still be free-form literacy lessons on a regular basis for those who wished to stop by.

Ideally, with his own funds added to the pot, the money would keep them going long enough to to train a generation of graduates who could then take over as inspirational instructors and teachers who had surmounted incredible odds with Oghma's blessing to become lettered people. All subsequent graduates would be well-qualified to take on high-paid administrative and technical work in Steinkreis, or start their own businesses as well, and once this was the case Kaeridris was sure they wouldn't mind making a regular donation from their salary to repay his school's generosity and ensure its presence for future generations. A rigorous testing procedure was required to make sure precious equipment and teaching time was spent on those who were most able to benefit.

***************************************************************************************************************

Steinkreis Lowtown was an obvious place to start. While distinctly shabbier and rougher than the rest of the city, it was closer to the people who would benefit the most, and costs were low, favouring Kaeridris' ambitious plans. Luck was on his side. Within a week one of the warehouses had been vacated and Kaeridris was able to secure the lease.

While the labourers he had hired cleared out the years of leftover debris he made a full inspection of the building, making careful measurements and planning the layout of the school in his mind. The wings on the ground floor could easily be converted into two rooms for teaching and discussions, while the floor space upstairs could be converted to a library and quiet study room, with an office and modest shrine to Oghma as well, of course. An inspection of the building's foundations were also in order - perhaps there was potential for construction of a basement?

[ image disabled ]

Kaeridris left the labourers to finish their clearing of the building, and set out to make his enquiries. Leaving the warehouse he spotted a small, run-down house next door. Apparently uninhabited for a long time, it had potential, and if his eyes did not deceive him, came with its own telescope! Inspection revealed some useful furniture, worn but in good condition. With a good clean and some repairs this would make a convenient dormitory for the more destitute students or those who were working late at the school.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Kaeridris reviewed his shopping list of essential materials:

Schoolroom -
Desks + chairs, x36 or as much as is sufficient for available space
Blackboards x4 (+ chalk)
Bookshelves/cupboards

Library -
Bookshelves
Tables + chairs/benches

Office -
Shelves/Cupboards
Desk
Chair

Shrine -
Candles, Incense
Rug
Altar/Table
Bowl
Parchment

Other materials/services:
General building maintenance and repairs, inc. lock changes, torch fitting, additional furnishings and conversion of the warehouse and nearby house for purpose.
Fee for one caretaker/cleaner/general helper.
Quote for basement construction and expansion.
A large supply of writing materials, drawing equipment, draftsman's tools, parchment.
Teaching aids - maps, books...and so on...

***************************************************************************************************************

Various carpenters and labourers could be easily hired for most of the tasks, furniture could be bought, and his previous efforts in transcribing books from the library had left him with a decent collection, but finding an appropriate supply of writing materials and teaching aids could be a little more expensive. Watching the sun set at the small dock in Lowtown Kaeridris had an idea of where to start, and headed back towards the centre of town, to Alma Matter.

[ image disabled ]

It had been a long day, and in the small hours of the morning Kaeridris returned to his apartment in on Fownes Lane. Entering reverie, a last thought spidered its way across his consciousness...he would need to order the sign for the front...

"Oghma's Academy of the Silver Scroll; The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."

Virahor
9:51:53 pm GMT 06/22/09
Humans were a constant source of surprise. Work had scarcely begun on preparing the warehouse and nearby annexe, and people were already inquiring about his school, wherever he went on the island.

Such interest was an opportunity to be capitalised on, and Kaeridris began conducting lessons in the warehouse whenever the repair work permitted, and in front of it when it didn't. Although the training of his first generation of students, his would-be teaching staff, had just begun, it was already time to begin attracting the next generation of students.

In the morning literacy classes he had his casual students copy out posters advertising the school, which he then placed in conspicuous locations around the island.

The later classes were more demanding. Kaeridris found himself spending many hours reading and preparing the material to teach them, some of which he had not recalled for many years, and the prolonged effort was beginning to take its toll. He prayed Oghma would lend him the stamina and wit to properly impart everything that his students needed to learn.

[ image disabled ]
Virahor
10:56:12 pm GMT 06/24/09
Kaeridris had hoped the gnomes in Steinkreis would have wanted to curry favour with Oghma, and donated some useful teaching aids for his school, but he had not heard from them yet. Evidently they were busy with other things, and business was business after all.

Leaving reverie after another long day, he was struck with a thought. There was a place he had visited on this island, a disused laboratory, in which he had seen a number of items which would be useful...no, essential, for some of the more advanced classes he was offering.

At the Crossroads fire he found a number of willing hands for hire, and together they made an excursion to the abandoned wizard's study in the Nachlicht caverns. Kaeridris and his enthusiastic helpers inspected the contents, and took as much of the equipment and books as they could manage.

[ image disabled ]

One of his companions had an extra talent which proved most useful for recovering the books:

[ image disabled ]

Together they carried the telescope, globe, books, and assorted bits and pieces back to the school building in Steinkreis Lowtown, and Kaeridris sat down to inspect all the items and assess their true worth.

Wilin Cain had found a sub-set of books in the study which appeared to be entirely blank, and suggested their contents may be protected from unauthorised readers. These would have to be studied further - any knowledge worth hiding this well was bound to be precious!

Merta offered her assistance as a Keeper to Kaeridris' educational endeavours, if he required it in future. Kaeridris had heard much of Merta's exploits in his time on the island; a well-respected and influential, not to mention powerful, ally! Numerous challenges remained, but things seemed to be coming together, and even Kaeridris' usually stagnant pessimism was turning.
Virahor
1:00:00 pm GMT 06/27/09
The Binding, a work of silent, written prayer in the moments before Sunrise, accompanied by the granting of Oghma's blessings.

A little something extra, to improve one's ability to focus, concentrate. All natural, and perfectly safe, of course.

Calisthenics.

Fox's Cunning? Too short-lived, and the effects are all wrong - it's an aid for pretenders, really. This is strictly for those who have the natural ability, and want to make the most of it.

"...and the mortar work in the east chamber? Good, try and do that first, before moving onto the roof."

Ingredients: Peachhead pollen, lillyweed root, and the main component, darkberry seeds hardened by passage. Must be at least one finger width in diameter.

"Two diagonal strokes, forming a congruent apex at the top, bridged by a horizontal stroke a third of the total height from the bottom of the line...yes, very neat Michaelas.

Make a broth of the root, add the pollen sparingly. Bring to foam. Shell the seeds.

"Who can list the chief exports of the Northlands village?

Slice down the seam, remove the hard centre, and add the pulp to the broth.

"Take turns, and observe as the sun sets in the West, the appearance of celestial elements in the East. Calculate the date according to Elven Consensus. You have one and a half hours to take your measurements before those clouds move in."

Prepare yourself. Remove any restrictive, tight clothing, and perform your ablutions.

"Good eve Tomas. Are the texts I requested available? Excellent. Send someone to fetch me two hours past midnight. I will replace them all before I leave, do not worry."

Inhale
Virahor
7:33:34 am GMT 07/04/09
There was no way around it. The fumes meant that the school had to be vacated for as long as two weeks while the workers gave the walls a fresh coat of paint, and polished the floors and new woodwork. Kaeridris gave each of his students a suitable reading list, and told them they would reconvene after a fortnight. They were sufficiently proficient now to be able to teach themselves with the right guidance from him....which raised another issue. They would soon be capable of teaching their own classes in the school, and there was no need to delay them.

Kaeridris took to the roads and paths of the island, to Davenshire, Hamley, Webster's Landing, the Trade and Tackel, and briefly, even Raven's Watch, telling any and all who would listen of his school (also visiting the island's various tailors in the meantime), and it's imminent readiness to educate them should they wish to attend.

[ image disabled ]

Returning to Steinkreis he found himself tired, but his lifestyle of the past few months, intensive in more ways than one, had left him unaccustomed to rest. While tidying his apartment in the middle of the night he came across the scroll given to him by the Stone Circle researcher some weeks ago. Perhaps this was a good opportunity to follow up - teaching was a great service to Oghma, but would be well complemented by an independent research program.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, scratch_flannigan, jewwe, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 9
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: lazaro
  • Most ever online: 155
    Guests: 155, Members: 0 on Sunday 11 December 2016 - 13:15:05
Now Playing
1. Gvendellerin
2. Dele Ondre Blackle
3. Seth von Hendricks
4. Xauriic Draaz