Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:




[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup


  • saadow
    saadow  1 day ago

    Hey friends! Nature night is starting in about an hour and ten minutes!

  • Jandari
    Jandari  2 days ago

    MSM, i get the same complaints. At 60 WPM... it's a difficult task, though.

  • GearsOfMadness
    GearsOfMadness  2 days ago

    Need some dat Roman engineering.

  • MadskillsMike
    MadskillsMike  2 days ago

    Maybe I could play if I had an ultra silent keyboard that didnt wake the whole family up when typing

  • MadskillsMike
    MadskillsMike  2 days ago

    Dropped in to check out the new design yesterday. Really good stuff.

  • Raven1210
    Raven1210  2 weeks ago

    grin

  • Yasmyn
    Yasmyn  2 weeks ago

    The Yasmyn here dodge gah So nuch fun on a questy with the Raven dude this eve. All the fun was had and it was awesome. heart

  • DavidtheGreat
    DavidtheGreat  2 weeks ago

    Actually Scratch has the right of it. You start dropping gold at 5, exp penalties at 10.

  • Glognar
    Glognar  2 weeks ago

    Up to lvl 10 I have had no penalty on death. No gold loss and no death clock.

  • scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 weeks ago

    I think the gold loss starts at level 5, and the xp penalty starts at level 10 .. but I an not sure.


Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A Disappearance on the Road

1 2 3 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Kyssyt
11:39:16 pm GMT 02/10/09
Kyssyt Registered Member #1273 Joined: 2:56:54 pm GMT 03/23/08
Posts: 534
The orders were clear and the Elf understood exactly what he had to do. Parting ways with the Hin just outside the borders of the Wood, he headed south towards Greenvale. Before anything was said to anybody, he would do some reconnaissance. It was clear to him that any group travelling north from the City of Stone would have to take a fairly obvious route .. the lands around were too wild for an official party to cross .. they would undoubtedly stick to the roads. And that would make things considerably easier. Arriving at the gate of Greenvale, he stood for a while, cloaked in invisibility, and watched the guards patrol. He knew they were strong fighters, and they were backed up by rangers - whatever happened, it would be important to wait until the group was clear of the vicinity of the City. He turned, walking northwards purposefully, keeping his eyes and mind open. There was a spot there, not far from the city, where the Razorfang gathered. It was secluded, and the weak-minded thugs would make excellent 'hired help', but it was too far from the Woods - and too close to the guard post .. Empyrean Guards would not be welcome at this party. He walked on. The Cobblewall Inn .. no. Too busy, and unpredictably so. The closest point to the Woods, but it would be stupid to risk some unexpected company leaving the inn, armed and prepared for ogres. He walked on, beginning the long climb onto the Mountain. The mountain. Yes. an excellent candidate.. He stopped at the top and looked about, nodding thoughtfully. This might work. But he hadn't finished yet. He had other ideas first. As far as Hammersong he walked .. further. Appraising every glade, every wood, every hidden recess near the road. The top of the Mountain looked hopeful .. remote, wooded - making it hard for anyone to see what happened unless they were very close by - and only a short journey from the Woods, through the Giants' lands. It would also supply an excellent reason for the party's disappearance - the giants were known widely for their territorial ferocity. It was close to Hammersong but .. what would dwarves even care about a party of Greenvale elves? It was a possibility. Further, almost as far as the old Temple hill .. but here, it was clear that the road was busy, the Temple too close by, and the route back to the Woods too dangerous along the pass. He began walking back, already knowing what the best place would be.. The south slope of the Mountain. Remote. Easily accessible and more than one way to leave, if things did not go well. Surrounded by excellent hiding places. Close to the Woods - less than an hour down the slope and through the tunnel and they would be safe .. job done. And it would provide perfect cover - the ogres who lived on the mountain's slopes were always ambushing parties travelling that way. It would be easy enough to leave the bodies of any guards near to the Ogre halls, and quick to come to the Woods with the Delivery.. A report would have to be made to the Hin, as soon as possible. Not in writing - this was too important to risk discovery that way. This business was by word-of-mouth only.. [ image disabled ] [ 1273_reconnaissance_a.jpg ]
Back to top
Kyssyt
3:43:30 am GMT 02/15/09
Kyssyt Registered Member #1273 Joined: 2:56:54 pm GMT 03/23/08
Posts: 534
So, the word was out.

He'd spoken to Gnome and told her about The Lady's orders. He'd made it clear to her that he would do whatever he could to help her, and told her about the reconnassance he'd already done. He'd also suggested she find the Hin as soon as possible, something he too intended to do shortly..

He'd also by chance met Pravus and gladly told him all the details. That was important. If the party from Greenvale would be guarded - and it was clear that it would be - it would be necessary for a number of skills to be brought by a number of people. In any case, it was only right that he should inform his commander of the work he was involved in.

He'd spoken briefly to one other as well and though he hadn't gone into detail on The Lady's orders in this case, help had been promised simply because the orders were from The Lady..

As he rested, considering what else there was to do, a shadow passed over him and he smiled. The Woods were calling again, and after enjoying the feeling for a while, he rose. It was time. The important people were aware of what was afoot and he now had some more work to do before seeking out the Hin again.

He packed all he would need for some time away from home, and called the Spider to him as he passed through the edges of the Woods. Back to Greenvale, this time to stay and watch.

He only needed now to find out about the party that would travel - How many, how strong, and if there was anything about them that might help the operation.

He took the road south, the Spider following through the trees nearby. Freedom of the Woods was within his reach; he only hoped he would prove worthy..
Back to top
Kyssyt
3:44:05 am GMT 02/15/09
Kyssyt Registered Member #1273 Joined: 2:56:54 pm GMT 03/23/08
Posts: 534
By the way, anyone involved with this story - please feel free to post in this thread..
[ Edited 03:47:59 AM 02/15/09 ]
Back to top
Kyssyt
4:42:19 pm GMT 02/15/09
Kyssyt Registered Member #1273 Joined: 2:56:54 pm GMT 03/23/08
Posts: 534
The road from Greenvale is being watched, dark eyes waiting patiently just inside the wood.

A message is sent northwards to one Hin and one Gnome, carried in the mind of what appears to be a pixie..

[ image disabled ]
Back to top
Ogreman007
5:41:19 pm GMT 02/16/09
Ogreman007 'Lupi made me do it
Registered Member #175 Joined: 5:49:41 pm GMT 07/23/04
Posts: 4286
The irony of the situation facing the elf Eswyn, was that his target was already on the move - though his station in the forests outside of Greenvale would imply he was not aware of this. Some had met the dutiful diplomat at the crossroads, and while they gleaned some information as to his purpose on the island, details were still sparse. It had not been long before the diplomat took his small group of guards further north, having inquired about Hamley, to visit the small - then beseiged - settlement and pay homage to its apparent leader, Bennars. Their conversation would be held in secret, the first of many visits to places of interest about the island... [ 175_diplomat.png ]
Back to top
Ogreman007
8:06:02 pm GMT 02/16/09
Ogreman007 'Lupi made me do it
Registered Member #175 Joined: 5:49:41 pm GMT 07/23/04
Posts: 4286
A few days later, from the south, an elf charges through the plains outside of Greenvale during the heat of the day. He does not slow from it, nor from the hilly terrain about Hammersong, nor from the creatures that pollute the roads leading up from the southern city of Greenvale. He stops only upon reaching the Crossroads, searching for the man he must find to deliver his message. But he is nowhere to be found in the Trade and so he must continue northwards, towards where the last known location lay of his target. His path eventually takes him towards another elven settlement, located in the Feywood. Though the path he treads is not as lonely as he believes... [ 175_hiddendangers.png ]
Back to top
mojo pixy
8:21:00 pm GMT 02/16/09
mojo pixy Registered Member #1099 Joined: 5:26:33 pm GMT 07/11/07
Posts: 933
Having seen the runner on the road, and recognizing the clothes as a Greenvale uniform, Eswyn followed, invisibly, wreathed in shadow and from time to time as another creature entirely. North, avoiding the busy Crossroads, north through the southern marches of the Feywood, to the Stronghold.. [ image disabled ] [ 1099_reconnaissance_b.jpg ] He had noticed another figure, apparently also following .. a figure he thought he recognized. Waiting outside the Stronghold, sitting by a comfortably warm fire and enjoying the wind through the tall trees (a colder wind than the one he was used to in the southern Woods he loved so much), he noticed the figure leave, and they exchanged useful information. When the faery returned later that day, he sent her again to the south (despite brief half-joking protests about wasting her time), bearing more news for the Hin. Two heavy infantrymen were with the ambassador, whose name was Nerom'ir. And there also seemed to be a third guard - a female ranger of the Feywoods (or possibly a druid, judging by the magic she could summon) seemingly strong and confident, who was following him, acting as protector. When the faery had left a second time, Eswyn sat, watching the flames and embellishing the carving on his new bow, but only with with half an eye: his real focus was now the bridge to the Stronghold. [ Edited 09:37:39 PM 02/16/09 ]
Back to top
Lefse
9:53:39 pm GMT 02/16/09
Lefse Kamel
Registered Member #460 Joined: 8:56:43 pm GMT 03/06/05
Posts: 2312
Razon enterd the Poisonwood, using stealth to avoid disturbing the elves. He walks up to the Lady, flashes his Seal and bows deeply. [ image disabled ] [ 460_meeting_the_lady.jpg ] [ image disabled ] [ Edited 11:30:18 AM 02/20/09 ]
Back to top
Kyssyt
6:02:38 pm GMT 02/18/09
Kyssyt Registered Member #1273 Joined: 2:56:54 pm GMT 03/23/08
Posts: 534
Thoughts: "Damn these woods - they are cold! And they smell wrong. The elves here are no more friendly than they ever were.. There are precious few mushrooms growing here, and I'm hungry! Ai, why did I ever come back .. damn this job, so much waiting and watching. And the rain .. always the rain.. "But .. Ai! I can't leave .. not now. This is important business, it means a home for me and I can't risk failing. It's something I was trusted with and that means more than anything! But even with that list .. there's no way of knowing where they've been and where they'll go next. Someone has to watch them as they travel.. "But she knows. That elf, she knows something. I shouldn't have sat here so long with that man. She suspected something.. There's no way sh--- Ahh! Of course! Why didn't I think of that before? There are fey in these woods already.. another won't seem strange! Yes...!" Actions: A short call in Fey, into hands cupped over his shapely smiling mouth... [ image disabled ] [ 1273_setting_watch.jpg ]
Back to top
myridean
7:21:50 am GMT 02/21/09
myridean Registered Member #120 Joined: 3:09:19 pm GMT 05/17/04
Posts: 168
The gnome couldn't sleep. Exhausted, once more she opened the crate of supplies that she had meticulously gathered over the many moons since that initial meeting with the Lady in Poisonwood and looked them over. As per the agreement, if she and her motley crew could find the ways and means for her troops to kidnap the Queen from Greenvale, then they could be granted sanctuary provided that they adhere to the conditions contained within. The latest meeting with the Lady however was, for lack of a better word, an about face.

Cursing her luck in Demonic, Jasmine knew all too well that priorities can be changed on a whim. What took her many moons to construct a strategy and provide the tools necessary for a successful mission would have to be adapted to a whole new scenario for a new target, an ambassador from Greenvale. What was worse that details of their target from her assigned contact were not being forwarded. It felt that her hands were tied although the books that contained her lessons from her mentors back home on guerilla tactics were sitting in front of her as well as the tools were just beyond her reach. Thankfully, her point man, Eswyn of her crew so far has been her greatest source of inspiration and information. Still, the mission was clear -- she was to provide the ways and means to kidnap this ambassador and deliver them to those who would be able to complete the task.

Once more, she sat down at her desk and penned a letter, this time to Eswyn. After finishing it, she summoned Puppy, her loyal companion that has been with her ever since she was a gnomeling and wafting a piece of Eswyn's belongings in front of his nose, commanding him to follow the scent to wherever it may lead him. Jasmine, then watched him disappear into the ethereal plane with a leather pouch containing the communique.

Donning her cloak and picking up her staff, she left the room, locking the door behind her to proceed on yet another patrol, looking for Gorav, Eswyn or anyone who may have encountered this new ambassador from the southern Elven settlement.
Back to top
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, scratch_flannigan, jewwe, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
Online
  • Guests: 39
  • Members: 1
  • Newest Member: Seleveth
  • Most ever online: 155
    Guests: 155, Members: 0 on Sunday 11 December 2016 - 13:15:05
Now Playing
1. Flick
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org