Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• saadow
    saadow  1 day ago

Hey friends! Nature night is starting in about an hour and ten minutes!

• Jandari
    Jandari  2 days ago

MSM, i get the same complaints. At 60 WPM... it's a difficult task, though.

• GearsOfMadness
    GearsOfMadness  2 days ago

Need some dat Roman engineering.

• MadskillsMike
    MadskillsMike  2 days ago

Maybe I could play if I had an ultra silent keyboard that didnt wake the whole family up when typing

• MadskillsMike
    MadskillsMike  2 days ago

Dropped in to check out the new design yesterday. Really good stuff.

• Raven1210
    Raven1210  2 weeks ago

grin

• Yasmyn
    Yasmyn  2 weeks ago

The Yasmyn here dodge gah So nuch fun on a questy with the Raven dude this eve. All the fun was had and it was awesome. heart

• DavidtheGreat
    DavidtheGreat  2 weeks ago

Actually Scratch has the right of it. You start dropping gold at 5, exp penalties at 10.

• Glognar
    Glognar  2 weeks ago

Up to lvl 10 I have had no penalty on death. No gold loss and no death clock.

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 weeks ago

I think the gold loss starts at level 5, and the xp penalty starts at level 10 .. but I an not sure.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A New Friend

LAN_402 LAN_403
Kyssyt
6:27:43 pm GMT 11/09/08
Kyssyt Registered Member #1273 Joined: 2:56:54 pm GMT 03/23/08
Oh, Pain. New kinds of Pain. Burning, Scorching, Searing Pain .. Biting, Shredding, Tearing Pain.

Beetles which make the very earth and air burn, freeze and sting; huge Claw Creatures whose foul touch brings on immediate sickness; Snakes whose poison kills you before you've even walked ten steps; Creatures of Fire, their heat blistering your skin before they even come close; enormous Lizards who will turn you to stone and smash you to pieces as you stand helpless. And that's just the wildlife...

Even the land itself is treacherous and sadistic. Patches of earth which explode as you pass; Quicksand, with its stark choice .. die of thirst later in the endless dunes, or drown, here, now. Wild magic pools in certain places, and suddenly that Stone Skin you needed is twisted into a Spider which attacks, biting, biting, biting biting....

---

The elf's eyes swam into focus and he gasped, coming out of his reverie, sweat beading on his flawless brow. He took a few deep breaths and looked about nervously, unsure for a moment where he was, or if he'd been dreaming.

He had. He sighed with relief which soon faded as he remembered where he really was, and that only a couple of stone walls stood crumbling between him and the reality of The Waste.

Pain she had promised him and pain he had received, from almost the first moment he set foot on these sands. Pain in so many forms, he felt like he had died and died again, time had stopped, the brief periods of rest in a ruined shelter barely noticeable in the wash of various agonies he was to undergo.

Penance, and Instruction. He had been very stupid and She was unhappy. This was to show him what his reward would be, should he disappoint her again.

He rubbed his eyes, ran his slender fingers through his sweat-slicked hair and leaned back on the filthy couch, groaning as he realized he still had to get away from this place and run the gauntlet of pain one more time. He tried to calm down, focus his mind for the preparation he had to make, and He was just about to force his aching body to stand up when a rumbling sound became a roar and then a crash, and a blast of heat washed over him...

[ image disabled ]
Kyssyt
6:31:14 pm GMT 11/09/08
He stared at the Creature a while, thoughts racing around his head. It must have been too long, though, that he sat speechless...

[ image disabled ]
Kyssyt
6:53:11 pm GMT 11/09/08
New magic had come to him during his journey. He had learned a new way to weave fire, that burst upon his foes like arrows and pierced them, exploding unstoppably. He had also found a new power in negative energy, it felt as if he could actually make the energy manifest into a physical cloud. And of course, this was in addition to his Visitor. He smiled. He laughed.

Was this creature now his slave or something? Could he really bind a Devil to his will? If so, how had that happened? He shook his head. He knew nothing had happened. It was just himself .. these creatures came because of him, Faery had explained it all a long time ago. He remembered his name, and smiled again.

So how far would this Devil go? He had to find out.

As he stood in the sand contemplating all this, he heard, then saw a huge red claw creature shambling across his path. His invisibility stopped it seeing him, but he had a sudden idea and laughed again. He closed his eyes and whispered the newly-learned guttural sound.

A crashing roar and stone rose from the ground, bringing heat and smoke, and .. there It was. He smiled, as the huge Stalker ran towards the Devil, and called brightly to It, "Come on then .. let me see how good you are!".

The fight didn't last long, the Stalker's huge bulk obliterating the Devil in seconds. "Well", the elf called into to the air, from inside his shroud of invisibility, "that wasn't very impressive now..."

As he wandered towards the only other shelter he knew of in these Sands, he began to feel a strange chill settling on him, and as he climbed into the old hallway, it reached his feet, as they touched the ground. He heard a chuckle...

[ image disabled ]
Kyssyt
11:51:35 pm GMT 04/04/09
A dark and windy evening on the slopes of the Grey Mountain, and the smell of Orks is strong. Even more foul than the stink of their weaker cousins who infest the Green Wood far away that he calls home.

One moment, they are falling with forlorn cries to a brutal onslaught of axe, arrows and weave-drawn power .. the next .. explosions! All around! Burning, tearing and the noise of vicious screams to his right becomes .. a darkly-pulsating silence. Voices begin to echo in the void .. half-familiar and yet detached from any source in his mind or out...

"..Dead.."
"..Dead weight.."
"..Go on ahead .. I'll deal with this in my own way..."
"GgggggGGGRRRRRRRRR...."
..a roaring noise..

The last voice before silence is one he doesn't understand in his mind .. but he knows what it says somehow, and it covers him entirely with darkness and it chills, though he has no marrow to feel such a thing.

"Take his soul to a place it can be kept .. safe .. till it can be brought back to his body.."

He feels stretched, torn, pushed, pulled, dragged along to the sound of hideous soft laughter, he is whole, broken, rearranged and finally pale light dawns in what has been his mind and something solid seems to form .. a sense of dread which will not shift even as shapes and colours become clear .. hedges, flowers, grasses which slowly become lawns dappled and shaded by high trees.

The sound of tinkling fountains fades in from silence, and there is birdsong .. but something is wrong. The birdsong is wavering, discordant. The sky is flecked with red. And suddenly a presence is behind him which he has felt before and never loved. He turns..

She is there. It is there. Its grin says everything...
Kyssyt
8:48:07 pm GMT 06/01/09
...but the voice comes anyway from lips which do not move except to bare a few more razor-sharp black teeth in a wider, colder smile:

[ image disabled ]
mojo pixy
7:00:20 pm GMT 06/02/09
mojo pixy Registered Member #1099 Joined: 5:26:33 pm GMT 07/11/07
"What Garden?" he asks, confused beyond politeness.

"The Garden. A place where you will be safe. And while you're here - a lesson or two.." The erinyes lets its unmouthed voice tail off and it seems to reverberate slightly in the heavy air.

The elf looks about, once again taking in the incogruously soft green surroundings. The trees in the distance are taller and more lush even than the trees of his home, and the water leaping near at hand is as clear as any stream in the Woods. Still .. the odd shades in the sky and the half-solid air .. and he suddenly realizes he is naked.

"Yes, you are" the disembodied voice comes again, "and not for lack of clothing either. I can see beyond that stuff you call flesh and I know you better than you know yourself. That is why you're here, in case you hadn't realized it yet."

The elf tilts his head and squints a little, not quite sure what the devil means. It laughs, though again its mouth doesn't move and the sound squirms with an itching feeling directly into his mind.

"Oh really child - you do still have so much to learn. You are not safe on that rock you call Thain. There are powers at work which you must not meet. They will bite, chew and swallow you! And we cannot let that happen.."

He frowns but the erinyes goes on..

"We know you've been looking for the undead thing which calls itself Zhrindhar. Your adventure on that mountain was not by chance. We had to make sure you were removed from any possibility of meeting this Zhrindhar. You haven't the power nor the wisdom to face the creature as an adversary, and you must not swear loyalty to it--"

He interrupts, voice thick with anger "I'm not going to do any such thing! My loyalty has already been sworn to those who have decided to stand against Zhrindhar. I would never betray that oath!" What might be described as a pout settles on his dark-eyed face and glares at the devil defiantly.

It laughs gutturally. "Poor childish thing! I did not say you would swear loyalty to it .. but this thing is powerful and as I did say - you have neither the power nor wisdom to resist. You have sentimental attachments to several of the mortals who have pledged themselves to the lich. You would fall, despite yourself - and that must not happen. You have other tasks to fulfil on that plane.."

A pause, during which a look of confused relief and reproach passes over his even features but no other response form in his mind. The devil goes on, its voice now lower, almost alluring..

"Child, you have done well. You have found a home for yourself that suits both you and us, and the time is coming when you will reach for even more. You are beautiful - have you not noticed how the mortals react to your beauty? Have you not noticed them staring after you? Have you not noticed the way they listen when you speak? You have presence among them, and that will bring you your own power, in time. You do not need any help from an undead tyrant"

Its lips now move and become - what would be on any other creature than a devil - a beautiful smile of pride and love.

A delicious chill fills his soul and holds him, powerless, waiting for the creature to go on..
mojo pixy
9:00:32 pm GMT 06/06/09
mojo pixy Registered Member #1099 Joined: 5:26:33 pm GMT 07/11/07
"So," it continues after a pause just long enough to keep him slightly on edge,"let us consider your .. attachments. What of your associate, Phrixus? She herself has fallen under the sway of this Lich. It's a dangerous path for her and there are some here - " it waves a scarred arm towards the glowering sky - "who would have her punished for her insolence. The Lady of Pain does not love mortals who forsake her patronage.."

He cries out in pain and anger, "No! No! She is faithful, as faithful as I am! Why would you lie like that?" Tears are welling from eyes that don't really exist and the Erinyes laughs a sadistic grunting laugh.

"See? That is what's called an attachment - oh how lovely! No, no .. you are right, and your faith is .. touching." It sneers and leans forward to sniff and smell his pain and wretchedness. "She has done nothing wrong. And incidentally, your devotion in creating her Painbringer for her has made an impression in the right places. However, as for why I .. lied, well .. perhaps one day you'll be able to inspire this exact reaction in others. It only takes a little imagination.."

Eswyn bows his head and thinks a moment. His thoughts are interrupted by a hiss from beside him. The Devil has come closer without seeming to actually move and his heart leaps with shock. Before he can speak, a guttural whisper possesses his whole hearing.

"And what of the Lady you serve in your little Woods? Will she forever be giving you orders? You are now come of age, child. Will you serve those mortals for ever? Greatness does not come to slaves.."

Eswyn frowns, composing himself at the mention of the Lady.

"You ... you speak as if I have a choice! I am far down the trunk of the Poisoned Tree! The Woods are my refuge from a hard world and the Lady there has shown me patience and .. yes, and kindness! More than most in the life I've had. Would you have me throw it in her face?" He shakes his head. "Yes, I will serve. For as long as I need to!"

A guttural laugh, suddenly from further away. "For as long as you need to? And what could take that need away? And what will you do, if it is gone?"

He considers with a deepening frown, a sharp pain growing in the centre of what might have been his head. "I'll serve my captain .. I'll serve the Lady or whoever rules in the Woods--"

A loud crack! from inside himself interrupts his words; The Devil roars, screaming: "SSSERVE YOURSSSELFF, CHILD...." and all goes suddenly and infinitely dark, only the grating echo of the Devil's screech and the smell of blood on hot stones hanging in his mind..

((edited later after some OOC communication .. sorry, you know who you are!))
Kyssyt
3:11:16 pm GMT 06/07/09
A cough .. retching .. a gasp and sensations flood in;

Cold deep inside, as his skin burns madly .. spiking pain throbbing through his skull and his chest seems full of scraping sand .. a million tiny pins and needles pricking him from his heart and slowly working their way out down his arms and legs to his fingertips and toes .. and light dawns and he opens his eyes, the tiny movement sending a shockwave through his whole being like the CLANG of an enormous discordant bell..

[ image disabled ]

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, scratch_flannigan, jewwe, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 39
  • Members: 1
  • Newest Member: Seleveth
  • Most ever online: 155
    Guests: 155, Members: 0 on Sunday 11 December 2016 - 13:15:05
Now Playing
(Empty)

Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org