Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  10 hours ago

The IC posts over the Crater Lake events for Nature Night are finally finished!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  11 hours ago

!lol

It really was something..a bit like a can..that the Sandworms went into !

Magic and Gnomish Technology to the rescue!

• Vaedryan
    Vaedryan  11 hours ago

*chuckles* Love the name of the most recent NN, Scratch!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  18 hours ago

Nature Night will start in about 2 hours!

Please join us in the Wild Grove in Grauer Suden.

I will be IG as Dauken. Feel free to shoot me a tell with any questions. smile

• AmberOfDzu
    AmberOfDzu  1 day ago

Hi Scratch!

• scratch_flannigan
    scratch_flannigan  2 days ago

Amber!

• AmberOfDzu
    AmberOfDzu  2 days ago

*wave* @Vaerdryan grin

• Vaedryan
    Vaedryan  3 days ago

Omg! I spy an Avarith!!! grin

• Jandari
    Jandari  3 days ago

DORF night has kicked off with epic bouts of arm wrestling!

• archgrendel
    archgrendel  3 days ago

Payne is just jealous wink

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The Search for Dirk dem Vald

LAN_402 LAN_403
Ramana Jala
10:16:26 pm GMT 02/26/08
Ramana Jala Registered Member #1033 Joined: 12:18:42 am GMT 04/25/07
[ image disabled ] // OOC note - Please feel free to contribute to this thread // [ Edited ]
Ramana Jala
5:57:14 pm GMT 01/20/09
Too much had occupied Jalla's mind and time in the last few months, after Carylduil had offered to transport to Merit Island with her to do a scrying at her parent's home. Fostering Merta, and her old friend Navarre and his mate Sola having a litter with all the concern for their upbringing and then placement in safe areas, not to mention Jalla's depression at her own failed pregnancy that had made her retreat to the solace of the wilderness.

But now Merta had married and moved on to making a family of her own. And the wolf pups were adults now, with the males having staked out territories in the Grauer Sueden, and the females having found mates and joined other packs around the Feywood. And Jalla was well-enough recovered from her own ordeal, but still wanting the day that Krin and she could be free to set their minds to having their own children. But that couldn't happen until her father had been returned safely to her mother.

The last vision Jalla had had of her father those months ago was that of a man who had not been broken but had come to terms with being a captive, by using his wits to negotiate an exchange of his valuable knowledge of ancient lore, portals, and science for his safety. Perhaps she had even felt that he had been implying to not rescue him very soon because he was having a very interesting time of it, and was not then in any present danger.

But she had tarried long enough, and now she felt a new sense of urgency. She had been recently having dreams, as if the danger to her father was increasing. She saw in her dreams the black wolf standing beside a portal, looking worried. And other dreams of wolves running west into the setting sun. She didn't know if this last flash was the actual direction to look for her father, or an symbolic omen that the situation was changing, the days of safety for her father coming to an end. In any case she felt they had to act now.

Recently Krin had mentioned that a colony of Illithids had been found in the west. And then Krin and she had even gone through a portal and found themselves underground in that area, then quickly retreated. Now, as she told Krin of her dreams, they agreed that this was a place they had to go. He had already been into the underground complex partway, and it was clear they would need a fairly large party. He set to gathering those that would accompany them, and planning a date for the expedition....

//OOC date to be announced pending gathering of a party, if interested to come PM Krin or Ramana Jala with your availability.. a Sunday likely//
Ramana Jala
4:40:01 pm GMT 01/22/09
Krin and Jalla had been asking their friends if any would accompany them on this dangerous mission, and several had graciously accepted.

But still no mage or cleric. Krin and others said that a mage or cleric had been necessary to protect the party in previous encounters with the Illithids, but had no specific knowledge of which spells had been used.

They so needed to understand what would be necessary to protect everyone from the dangerous mental powers of the Illithids. Jalla had had no experience with the Illithids, and even needed advice on which of her own spells might work against their mental attacks.

They would have to continue to seek a mage or cleric for understanding, and hopefully to join them on the mission. Until this had been accomplished, they could not even set a date.

Jalla decided to post a notice on the bulletin board at the Trade:

Seeking an experienced mage or cleric for a dangerous mission to the Illithid caves, to search for a missing person. Experience with the Illithids or knowledge of how to protect against their mental attacks is necessary. The mission cannot proceed without this knowledge and the services of a mage or cleric. Compensation can be provided. Please leave a message with Bence for Krin and Jalla Desat.
Ramana Jala
7:09:19 pm GMT 08/23/09
[An excerpt from Jalla's private journal:]

Thus I had thought to be able to give some more time over to some of my other concerns and projects, which had been secondary to this threat to reality and to the citizens of the entire Isle. The situation is not entirely relieved, though, and one of the concerns is the low stocks of food over the Island, a result of the terrible situation in Hamley, one of the prime breadbaskets of Thain, since the unnatural Arcane Winter.

But, in my other concerns... the lich-- although that creature was thought destroyed, the situation still nags at me. And were other creatures such as the Orks and the Ilithids, involved on the side of the undead? The thought makes me shudder.

And what of the strange rumors of what the Ilithids had been and were probably still up to, with their portal research. This makes me think of father, and if he may be or had been in their clutches, forced to work upon the portal network at threat of his life. I just recently had a feeling about him during my meditative retreat at the monastery, that his situation had changed somehow, for I felt him still surrounded by darkness, but in a different tenor, not so at threat of his life.

My desires to hunt for Father have been frustrated. A couple months ago, the Keepers went into the Ilithid complex and cleaned it out to a great depth, including destroying a hive brain, but reported no sign of him. Recent expeditions to the Ilithids complex to check on their regrowth have not discovered anything either.

Ramana Jala
10:05:30 pm GMT 11/07/09
Dirk often went back to his parents home, to visit their graves out back of the little cottage, and to keep the house in repair. It was only a few miles from his village, where he had lived with the elves since their deaths. Long ago, the tribe of wild elves had been of course very skittish towards the human family that had come to live out in the wilderness, but as time had gone on, there had formed a friendship among them all as the elves saw that these humans were of their same ilk-- friends of Nature, and distrustful of the world in some ways just as they were. So, when it had first happened, when he had come back from running around with his elven friends to find his parents both murdered in front of their home, he had run to find them again. They had done what they could to comfort the nine-year old human boy, had helped him bury his parents, and then took him in to live with them. He had become one of them, and had not spoken the human language since.

It was Dirk's sixteenth birthday this day, and he went to see his parents. As he stood over their graves, he spoke to them as he often did, about all that he had been learning and doing. About how good he'd gotten with a bow, about what a stealthy hunter he'd become-- his friends had started calling him Black Wolf-- and about that elven druid girl that had caught his eye. He knelt down and went silent after a while, thinking about how much he missed them, and wished that they could be there with him again, seeing him grow into a man....

Thus he was lost in his thoughts when he heard a voice from behind, speaking calmly in elven, "Aaye, Dirk." A voice he did not recognize, and he leapt to his feet and spun around to find a human man dressed in leathers, about thirty paces away from him, his hands in full view, his manner deliberately non-threatening.

The man continued speaking elven, not making any move, "I've been watching you for some years now. Seven years ago, I came to find my friends, your parents, dead and buried, but I was concerned that you would be taken care of. I was pleased that the tribe of wild elves took you in and made you one of them, and raised you like their own. But now you are old enough to be told who --and what-- your parents were."

Unconsciously he heard a sound, and it roused him from his dream. Drow. They were very close, and he silently slid further into the crevice where he had been resting, and waited for them to continue past....
Ramana Jala
7:53:12 am GMT 01/24/10
Dirk had found the Drow city, and mapped their comings and goings. He was sure they had a way to the surface nearby, but he didn't think he could sneak such a path populated with many sharp-eyed warriors. The arrow-riddled body he had found assured him of that. This deep down he had seen no other but drow and that human body-- he couldn't tell if it had been that of a slave or of a hapless adventurer. He scavenged the body for what he could, since the drow had apparently not thought the man's meager possessions even worth taking. He was very pleased that the boots fit him, and with a bit of washing out in an underground pond were quite serviceable. The boots of the drow he had killed a while back had been much too small for him to wear, and when his own old boots had worn out he had had to go barefoot until this find.

[ image disabled ]

Since escaping his slavery to the tentacle-faced creatures, where he had managed to survive by trading his expertise in portal research for his own preservation, Dirk had miraculously avoided being detected all the time that he had been traveling in the Underdark. Before finding the Drow city, he had managed to avoid all their patrols. His ranger skills and trained instincts had served him well. He had only chosen to kill one drow that he had found out on a lone patrol, far out from where he would eventually find their city. He had desperately needed the creature's armor, weapons, and other survival items, and upon coming across the opportunity had planned the act very carefully if quickly, judging that he should only pursue the plan if he could figure out how he was going to dispose of the evidence before even attempting to kill the drow, a necessity so that there would be no suspicions of his presence. He knew that any drow would not hesitate to kill him, so he would do what he must to survive, and treat it as he would any other hostile creature to harvest as a resource. He had considered eating part of the drow, but he wasn't starving as he had been able to catch various cave fishes and rats and bats to eat, and so he couldn't convince himself to do so. Thus he had stripped the drow's body, dismembered it, and fed it to those rats and fishes.

He had survived this long, and it had been so very long.... The possibility of escape from this dark hell teased him, but he wasn't going to continue to survive if he made a move as rash as trying to get past a whole city of Drow to the surface. He would have to move on. So in the end he turned his back and went back into the bowels of the earth, to search for another way....
Ramana Jala
12:27:26 am GMT 01/26/10
Being alone finding his way in the Underdark, with it sensory deprivation, made Dirk's memories his only respite and company. Thoughts of the past came to him often, thoughts of his wife Aquila, of his daughter Jalla. By the gods, he missed them. But when he rested, when uneasy sleep or a catnap doze overcame him, it seemed like what bubbled up came from much further back in his mind, from that time of such great sorrow and uncertainty when he was so young, after he lost his parents and it was then up to him alone to find his way in that great unknown world....

The visitor stood there motionless, relaxed but alert, letting Dirk have the time to acclimate to him and decide how he wanted to proceed. Dirk's tribe of wild elves didn't often get any visitors, and were quite suspicious of them, so it took him a moment, his heart beating fast, and his mind racing at what the man had said. Dirk took a breath, and replied in his now-native Elven, "What do you know about my parents?"

The man smiled warmly at the young man, continuing easily in Elven, "You can call me Nurtar. Your parents, Tekilmeg and Ilmena, were dear friends to me, even though I saw them not as often as I wanted to, when they moved so far out here in the wild."

Dirk gestured to the stone table and benches behind the cottage, cautiously inviting the man closer to take a seat opposite him at the table. The man approached slowly and seated himself, looking Dirk over as Dirk himself looked over the rugged yet slender older man. "A fine and handsome strong young man you've become. Your parents would be proud." Dirk felt somewhat uncomfortable at the man's words, as his parent's memory was something that he had cherished solitarily for so many years, and here was suddenly a fellow who intruded upon that in a way, and also brought up the feelings of loss that had never truly healed.

But after a moment his curiosity overcame his reticence, "Praytell continue, and tell me what you meant, about who and what my parents were."

Nurtar smiled at Dirk, and did continue, "Do you know that before your parents came to live out here, they had other names? Human names. Your father's name was Danyel, and your mother's name was Isabelle. He was an intelligent and kind man, a gentleman, not by birth into station, but from nobility of spirit. A progressive man of great knowledge and wisdom, a philosopher, and a poet. A man whose pen was mighty... mightier than a sword." Dirk realized at that moment that that must have had something to do with the meaning of his father's name, Tekilmeg. "Your mother was also an intelligent and compassionate woman. Both had the natural laws of justice and goodness engraved upon their hearts." The man smiled, rather to himself at this point, nostalgically, with the respect and tenderness he felt for his old departed friends obvious on his face.

Ramana Jala
12:30:41 am GMT 01/26/10
Then he went on, "Your father had been a soldier, an officer, a brave defender of the realm. But he was not a man who loved war, he was a man of truth and honor. There came a time when a war he was commanded to fight was unjust, would betray a noble Elven ally that had been true to them, and thus he refused to help prosecute it. He resigned his commission, laid down his sword, and took up a pen. He wrote the truth, the truth about the deception and injustice being perpetrated upon the people, both the people of his own nation, and of the nations that his nation was interfering with. He made many enemies this way, enemies among his own people, more dishonorable than any he had ever known in war. They slandered him and persecuted him and threatened him and his wife, and all of their relatives. So much so that even those relatives turned against them, believing the propaganda and persecuting him to stop his truth-telling, so that they might return to their peaceable, if actually dishonorable, status in their society. The two of them found themselves outcast in their own country, scorned by previous so-called friends and all." He was looking at the youth, judging if he was comprehending the situation he was relating, and found Dirk listening very intently.

"Tekilmeg always had a saying, 'You can't kill an idea.' But the messenger of the idea could be killed, and he feared for the life of his wife --his now pregnant wife-- and himself. He was not afraid to die for a right cause, he had long resolved himself to that. But to die so that the truth, and one's ideas, could be silenced, that was something that he would not suffer. Nor would he allow the mistreatment and endangerment of those he loved, his beloved wife and coming child. Disillusioned with their corrupt and degenerate society and its dishonorable ways, the couple decided to leave their country, cut all ties with their relatives, and move away to where they couldn't be found. To a remote and wilder land, an uncorrupted land, nearer to those who were closer to the harmony of Nature, the Elves, whose culture he had long so admired and whose language he spoke well enough to get by. He would continue writing, but his writings would be sent back to his previous homeland and be published under another name. The two of them chose new names to go by, and kept their old and new life apart and secret from the other. Except for me-- I was the one Tekilmeg chose to deliver these writings back to our homeland. See, your parents and I had met a couple of years previous to this point, when I had become aware of his writings illuminating the deceptions and injustices, and I had contacted him to help disseminate and publish these insightful monographs; and thus I was there to witness how he was then treated in the lying duplicitous press organ of the kingdom."

All throughout this exposition, Nurtar had carefully avoided mentioning the place where all this had occurred, as he certainly knew how a young man like Dirk might piece everything together and want to race off to avenge his parents' murderers, before it could be explained to him how the situation had already been attended to.

Ramana Jala
12:34:18 am GMT 01/26/10
The man paused and unclasped his cloakpin, and set it on the table in front of Dirk. A small silver pin representing a silver harp, enclosed in the horns of a crescent moon, surrounded by seven stars.

The pin that the man had lain on the table was an exact match to the one upon Dirk's cloak, that he had laid on the bench beside where he was now sitting, as he had come to pay his respects to his parents. Dirk's eyes went wide in surprise at recognition of its design.

The elves that had helped Dirk bury his parents had removed everything but their basic personal clothing from their bodies, with the foresight that there might be some item on their persons that might be useful, necessary, or desirable for their son in the future. The elves had determined that their deaths had been mercifully swift: they had been garrotted, silenced, their necks expertly broken as assassins might do, so there was not even any blood upon them, their clothes, or their cloaks. Silver pins had clasped each of their cloaks for as long as Dirk could remember, but he had always thought the pins just traditionally decorative. For several years Dirk had left the house as it had been at their death, only keeping the weeds and the creatures out of it, treating it like a shrine for him to retreat to, their cloaks hanging upon the wall, to where he could feel them with him as if they just might walk in the door at any moment. But in his thirteenth year, he had gone to the house and set it in order, storing their clothes in a chest, taking ownership of the house as the young man he was now. The elves still thought of him as a child, but something within him felt different and had told him that as a human he had grown up. He took his father's sturdy felted-wool cloak for his own, which time and the climate had fortunately been kind to, with the silver pin that had customarily clasped it. It had felt like the end of an era, the admission that his parents were truly gone, but he was becoming a man now and needed to come to terms with it all.

Dirk picked up his cloak, and went to unfasten the pin. It tingled in his hands, and he dropped it in surprise. Nurtar chuckled, "It senses my pin. It knows its brother." Dirk looked at him in amazement, and picked up the cloak again, holding up the pin shielded from his fingers by the wool. Dirk looked at the man questioningly, "I've felt this tingle before, although not so strongly, several times in the past few years, but had always thought it was the electricity of the weather, as the druids say." The man shook his head, "Your pin was sensing mine --presumably only mine, that is-- as I looked in on you from time to time over the years, always concealing my presence. I could not take you away to raise you, and saw that the elves were doing right by you. Thus I honored your parents' wishes that you remain in your new homeland. Amongst Nature, and her just laws." He gestured with his arm to their surroundings, the first expansive movement he'd made since making his presence known to the wary young man.

Nurtar picked up his own pin, and looked at the young man, seeming to be considering something. After a moment, he gestured to the pin in Dirk's hands, "What I am about to tell you is a secret, and I must ask that you reveal it to no one." Dirk nodded, aware that the man was gauging his trustworthiness to be let in on something very important. Apparently satisfied, and judging that Dirk should know everything, Nurtar stated, "This pin is the symbol of the Harpers, a secret organization devoted to justice."

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Squidget, Bonesly, Just Miggen, scratch_flannigan, jewwe, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 6
  • Members: 1
  • Newest Member: lazaro
  • Most ever online: 155
    Guests: 155, Members: 0 on Sunday 11 December 2016 - 13:15:05
Now Playing
1. Dele Ondre Blackle
2. Anyndel Schwartzdrak
3. Seth von Hendricks
4. Xauriic Draaz