| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Oberon
09:08:16 AM 02/17/20
Mattews, Thain dicord here: -Clickedy-

scratch_flannigan
12:34:56 PM 02/16/20
Nature Night begins in about 1.5 hours from the time of this post. That will be 2pm CST (GMT -6).

Please check page 1 of the Nature Night: Phase 4 thread to see the map to the Wild Grove where we meet !

I will be on as Malam. Please shoot a tell to me with any questions.

Twirlip
07:21:59 AM 02/16/20
We seem to have a bit of a faction problem with some shop keepers in the city being somewhat less than customer friendly.

Corlupi
10:28:15 AM 02/15/20
T minus 2 hours.

Corlupi
06:32:18 AM 02/15/20
Tonight's Darkfey Prison event begins 6 hours from this message. Remember to bring your favourite goodly elf or disguised neer-do-well.

Rodgr Thunderguts
12:23:56 PM 02/14/20
That's awesome Jewwe, thanks !

dontyouknow
11:38:10 AM 02/14/20
Thank you for keeping our little world alive, Jewwe. You rock!

jewwe
02:52:50 AM 02/14/20
Hey guys! In 4-5 hours time, I'll be taking the server offline for a couple of hours to do the following:

Change the powersupply, as it sounds like it's dying.

Remove a harddrive, so that I have nothing personal stored on the server anymore.

Move the server into its new home, in the utility room.

The process should be done in a couple of hours. I'm also setting up a new router, which should be relatively painless, but you never know!
Anyway, I'm aiming for a couple of hours. Thanks!

Scarlet
06:53:34 PM 02/11/20
will be a few minutes late for necro night

Cuchuwyn
06:19:44 PM 02/11/20
Necro Night will begin in about 45 minutes at Jerrit’s tomb. See you there!

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: Technical Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Logging on problems - Shiny Water Bug
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Inq_Damocles, Just Miggen, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, Oberon, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Aeneas11
04:39:07 AM 09/17/05
Registered Member #471
(This Thread Made Sticky due to the Frequent Requests for Help with this Bug).

I seem to be having a lot of fun with bugs ATM so heres another one (It's probably clientside but I'd like to check before I go mad trying to fiddle with my computer's settings)
Something I'll throw open to the board: is anyone else having problems logging on to thain? when I log on I can select a charachter and when I click on play it all loads up until it gets to the end of the loading bar for Crossraods: Grove (i.e its full but hasn't actually transferred to the IG view) when it stops and I get a windows error message: Neverwinter nights has encountered a problem and needs to close (or words to that effect), If I try repeatedly eventually I can get on and once I'm on I stay on but its just getting into the game thats causing problems, anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas what it could be?
[ Edited ]

Note: I have a standing PvP for RP reasons is fine, that does not mean I'm okay with repeatedly being fireballed for no reason but if its IC to do it then go ahead.
Current Characters:
Alex Lyonson: cleric of Tymora
Ashan Fitzroy: Wizard
Dredoc
06:25:09 AM 09/17/05

Registered Member #280
Okey this might help... Atleast it did for me.

Go to -Clickedy- then search for a download under hacks called "Animation fix" ... Zip it into your override folder. It should work...

Shredded, minced and eaten
Hacked into red mush
Scalped, shattered and drained
A tasty, savory lunch
Ripped apart and mangled
Thrown around with fun
Chomping soggy flesh
Having loads of fun

I'm quite a shy and modest man, until it's splatter time.

- Gnomes lives everywhere. It's true.
Aremah
08:04:01 AM 09/17/05

Registered Member #84
If you use an ATI card, it may be the known graphics problem, especially since a stream runs through the Grove. Try disabling shiny water, it's in the Advanced Video Options menu. What you describe is exactly what happened to me (not every time, but often enough to get really annoying) once 1.66 came out, and it turned out it was that graphics issue. Disabling the water fixed it. Unless, of course, you've done that already.

Edit Bonesly: Bold/red emphasis on solution to Shiny Water resolution and graphic added below.

[ Edited 06:27:05 AM 09/27/05 ]

Aremah's art dump

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion.
Aeneas11
08:11:08 AM 09/17/05
Registered Member #471
So thats what the shiny water bug (tm) was, thanks Aremah I'll try that, typical reall I upgraded from a really old nvidia to this ATI which is now starting to age somewhat, I'll try deactivating it

Note: I have a standing PvP for RP reasons is fine, that does not mean I'm okay with repeatedly being fireballed for no reason but if its IC to do it then go ahead.
Current Characters:
Alex Lyonson: cleric of Tymora
Ashan Fitzroy: Wizard
Taniki
09:19:27 AM 09/17/05

Registered Member #292
Annoyed me something rotten to. I brought a nice ATI card for such things and it breaks it

May we "be" blessed with pleasant gaming

MSM- I haven't seen those Harps of Hellball drop anywhere yet...

*realises that Hayleigh could make her bunny and flower filled dreams of happyness come true by smiting the crap out of every evil thing on Thain with such an item*

... which may be for the best

Though if I can be only any help at all, please do not hesitate to ask
Dyrcona
09:31:23 AM 09/17/05

Registered Member #11
That's what happens when the game developer does all the development and testing on one brand of card. In this case NWN was developed almost entirely on computers with NVidia cards.

I hear that the NWN2 work is being done mostly on ATI gear. Specifically, the main modellers are using the exact same card I have in my gaming rig at home.

If the rumors are true, then *I* should have no video glitches with NWN2.

Entdecke die Insel von Dyrcona.

Just be sure to wear the gold uniform when you beam down -- you know what happens when you wear the red one.
Aremah
09:53:17 AM 09/17/05

Registered Member #84
What I really don't get is what caused the bug to start happening with 1.66 when everything was fine before. And I do hope 1.67 deals with it. The non-shiny water is just so damn ugly.

Dyrcona, what card exactly?

[ Edited 03:53:56 PM 09/17/05 ]

Aremah's art dump

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion.
Dyrcona
10:27:42 AM 09/17/05

Registered Member #11
ATI Radeon 9800 XT.

I've never had crashes from shiny water with that card, nor with the Radeon 7000 that I used for my first year of playing NWN. From what I read on the Bioforums the problem with shiny water is worse with certain ATI models and seems to come and go with different NWN patch versions and different ATI driver versions.

Entdecke die Insel von Dyrcona.

Just be sure to wear the gold uniform when you beam down -- you know what happens when you wear the red one.
Bonesly
10:44:46 AM 09/17/05
Always Preceding Miggen

Registered Member #136
It seems to be triggered under a particular set of conditions... I had "Shiny Water" enabled well into the release of 1.66 and never ran into the problem until I used a character that was bound at the Crossroads Grove--that suggests that just having Shiny Water enabled is not enough to trigger the fault. Jumping to the waypoint at the Grove, either from the boat because you're bound there or as a DM jump from the chooser, is what zapped me. Although I haven't tried this, it's quite possible to walk to Chane's grave, turn shiny water back on, then re-enter the grove with no fault because the exact rendering of shimmering ripples doesn't happen from either entrance--only if you pop into the middle of the Grove.

I've actually though about moving the waypoint to the other side of the boulder to see if it fixes it (or moving the stream a little away from the boulder). Not sure it's worth it though--but I bet it turns some newbies off of Thain if they dont' know why it happens.

Nijel was the 2006 People's Choice Best Hero.
Taniki
11:06:19 AM 09/17/05

Registered Member #292
I had that problem everytime I walked into a certain part of the Foothills. heh

May we "be" blessed with pleasant gaming

MSM- I haven't seen those Harps of Hellball drop anywhere yet...

*realises that Hayleigh could make her bunny and flower filled dreams of happyness come true by smiting the crap out of every evil thing on Thain with such an item*

... which may be for the best

Though if I can be only any help at all, please do not hesitate to ask
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top