| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

scratch_flannigan
12:39:23 PM 01/19/20
Nature Night begins in about 1.5 hours from the time of this post. That will be 2pm CST (GMT -6).

Please check page 1 of the Nature Night: Phase 4 thread to see the map to the Wild Grove where we meet !

I will be on as Malam. Please shoot a tell to me with any questions.

Glognar
02:57:28 AM 01/19/20
Not sure if my original account was #14 or #33, it's early '04 regardless, but we had a forum on the BioWare site before this one so say I joined Thain late '03... Damn 16 years. Turned 34 in December. 😎🍻 Cheers Thain Family!

scratch_flannigan
11:53:50 PM 01/18/20
Looks like 33 to 47 for me!

C_McG
09:47:54 PM 01/18/20
Oh, just passed by 14 year mark. That would be 30 -> 44 for me.

dontyouknow
08:49:54 PM 01/18/20
25 then, 38 now for me.

Izral
02:07:57 PM 01/18/20
16 > 31 for me.

Zhymm
01:40:53 PM 01/18/20
Young whipper/snappers ... my profile says I joined this forum in 2004 (over 15 years ago). I was a spry 53 YO.

Jandari
01:28:03 PM 01/18/20
35-46

Dogbert
01:12:24 PM 01/18/20
15->31 here!

Jandari
01:11:33 PM 01/18/20
when i started, i mean.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
What's in a Name?
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Inq_Damocles, Just Miggen, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, Oberon, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Alanonas
10:33:52 AM 10/06/19

Registered Member #24078
What's in a Name?

[ image disabled ]

Rhandum: Demonic Trickster: Recipe for Catastrophe, Riftflections, What's in a Name
Morton Falone: Gravewarden : Revenants, Trials of the Necromancers
Aldorian Walker: Infernal Warlock: Pact Born
Valbryxicsh: Visionary: In the Eye of a Beholder
Alanonas
10:41:16 AM 10/06/19

Registered Member #24078
I

"If I'm gonna tell a real story, I'm gonna start with my name."

~ Kendrick Lamar

[ image disabled ]

I must confess, I've never known my name.

Really.

It seems like such a simple thing, something every speaking creature soon masters. Hell, even mongrels learn such things. From the sorrid little hellhounds of the Iron city to the loyal, albeit flea-ridden companions of an honest farmer.

I've been called a great many things, some even serve as what most mortals would consider a name in earnest - that one word that one may yell at another to draw their attention; to know them. Rhan. Demon Boy. Rhan-doom. Ran. Red Warrior. Rhandum. All these and more I've been called.

It's all nonsense.

This I have come to learn with each bit of dwindling mortality I abandon in this endless expanse of torture and chaotic bliss that I've come to call my home: The Abyss. Amidst all of its whirling pain, misery, deceit, evil, and vileness does in fact lurk a great deal of wisdom to those who would dare to listen for it.

It was here after all, that I discovered exactly what a name means to a demon...

[ Edited 10:45:07 AM 10/06/19 ]

Rhandum: Demonic Trickster: Recipe for Catastrophe, Riftflections, What's in a Name
Alanonas
12:47:45 PM 10/06/19

Registered Member #24078
II

"It is by going down into the Abyss that we recover the treasures of life."

~ Joseph Campbell

The Abyss is a strange place, but it never fails to entertain...or to educate. Harsh? Oh yeah. Brutal? Of course. Murderously manipulative and incessant in driving each and every inkling of sanity from your writhing conscious? Maybe?

Yeah, probably.

Whatever.

It all started when I first saw the gate wrest itself open. Such things are not so unusual here, after all. Foolish mages will always try to reign in my kin and I to bend them to their own little machinations. More often than not such things lead gratuitous bloodshed, so I decided to stick around to see what this particular mage decided to call forth....

[ image disabled ]

A Glabrezu?!

What could such a mere mortal offer to such a greedy, powerful demon as such?

There was one way to find out...

I must confess, I didn't really know or care about the consequences that may follow hamstringing a Glabrezu to rush past it and into a crackling planar gate to an unknown location...

It simply needed to be done.

[ image disabled ]

There was a flash. Then the stinging, crackling feeling of the powerful spell that was used wrest open reality itself to tear such a passageway. It's a strange feeling to explain; it floods over you like a thick torrent of murky water that seeks to smother you into oblivion - then you arise and take a deep breath of the foreign air.

Then I saw the mage...

[ Edited 01:04:08 PM 10/06/19 ]

Alanonas
05:01:31 PM 10/07/19

Registered Member #24078
III

"If you need something done: summon a devil. If you need something fun: call a demon."

- Anonomyous

Yes. A mage. Bearded. Esoteric. Robed in the typical drapery of his "craft". Surprised.

"...Galzar'naxt? You have changed since we last treated. What is the meaning of this? Speak demon, lest I invoke your True Name once again."

I remember smiling darkly as I watched the old human's withered hands draw into the depths of his ample sleeves, no doubt readying some manner of magical trinket to send me reeling back into the chaotic depths. I remember well his knowing, taunting eyes, the sort of eyes that knew that the circle he had created would not break for the fiend he had called. Good thing I was not that fiend hmm?

[ image disabled ]

I stepped over the intricate circle of smoldering ash and gems and grinned at the now worried mage. It felt good.

I heard those tangled words begin to slink from his cracked lips. I'm no authority on magic or aracanists, but I've learned that when a bearded man in a dress starts spouting nonsense at you, it's usually for the best to just ignite him and be done with it.

[ image disabled ]

I watched him burn and smolder for a good long time. There is something hypnotic about such a thing. Something that draws your eyes in and holds them even despite the smell. Then I saw the tomes. Piles of them. I sauntered over and sat upon a pile of them, flipping through the weathered pages and tossing the boring sounding ones aside. KANDULLIUS' TREATISE ON THE LEYLINES OF THE WEAVE VOL. XXXIV made for excellent fuel for my now dwindling fire. GORMLUCK'S PLANAR BESTIARY had some rather well done illustrations of the elusive Hellaphant that I found rather endearing, so I spared it from the rancid camp fire for the time being.

Then I discovered the important one; the source of my newest little misadventure....

ONAMASTICUM DEMONAE

It lay open upon a crude pedestal, marked in several places by the ambitious mage. There were illustrations of scowling demons adorning each page alongside intricately drawn sigils, seals, and scripts to bind such beings...and then a list. A long one. Detailed instructions? Names? Who could know?

I knew not what those words meant, but I recognized the script within in a heartbeat. How could I not? I've seen the same script adorning the banners and devious contracts wrought by my most ancient of foes: Devils.

I took one last look at the sizzling mage as I tuck the infernal tome away and return to the depths of the Abyss to begin my search for someone, or something, that could illuminate the meaning of this peculiar tome...

[ image disabled ]

Jump:     Back to top