| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Corlupi
08:52:37 AM 04/06/20
...not that Renneleth wears black lipstick!
It's just, you know, his portrait.

* waits for the inevitable comments *

Corlupi
08:51:48 AM 04/06/20
I just realised, having found out what you look like IRL, Alan, If you dye your hear black and wear black lipstick, you're basically Renneleth!

ArezimaRedwind
03:45:43 AM 04/06/20
Blushblushblush.

Squidget
02:28:17 AM 04/06/20
and you're adorable!

ArezimaRedwind
02:02:16 AM 04/06/20
Okay. Fifteen years later, finally posted a selfie. My job is done.

scratch_flannigan
11:56:45 AM 04/05/20
Nature Night begins in about 2 hours from the time of this post. That will be 2pm CDT (GMT -5).

Please check page 1 of the Nature Night: Phase 4 thread to see the map to the Wild Grove where we meet !

I will be on as Malam. Please shoot a tell to me with any questions.

Virahor
04:12:02 AM 04/05/20
Kaeridris just stumbled into Elvalith Nain's shop. Very nice set up, as is the Crossroads coffee place - loving everyone's creativity with the placeables!

Kyssyt
04:43:27 PM 04/04/20
i keep crashing, apologies for that - now I can't connect so I think I'll leave it for tonight. nice craft fair!

Warlord Kro
03:12:04 PM 04/04/20
Craft Fair opens in about an hour from this post!

wisdombeyondages
01:47:24 PM 04/04/20
Trying real hard here dude!

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Toward Unification
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Just Miggen, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Warlord Kro, Oberon, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Corlupi
10:04:32 AM 08/01/19
Awooo

Registered Member #2942
Arannim

Subchapter III: The Tears of Life

Renneleth Margaladhon's Journal wrote ...

Day 5:

Fate is never without a sense of irony. Whilst Brooklyn, Jiztroyir and Seth toil to find a means to restore Zeraphil's soul, the answer has been staring at me from the beginning. It is staring at me now even as I sit and pen this entry. Wa'i'lanai's Chalice of Life! I was given the relic by Slagg Krillian immediately after the defeat at the Builder's Walls to cure Feywood of the Blight. I have not yet had the opportunity to put its powers to the test, but I trust Slagg never to exaggerate. Although the cup is said to hold no more than three drops - three tears shed by Wa'i'lanai herself - a single drop or tear is potent enough to cleanse and heal a small forest. I have no doubt that the sacred chalice will prove instrumental in the work of the healers, yet I have no means to deliver it to them. I am in the Abyss and they on Thain. I have walked the length and width of this part of Riftdelve, but I do not see a door or portal leading back to Thain or the Wastegate. The harbour with the strange ships could be a way out of the Abyss, but the chance of me overpowering a balor and his retinue of demons is very slim.

I put my faith in the Seldarine now. May they send Styvn or Elissril my way before the end of the week. Only a shadowdancer can help now.

Renneleth - Huntmaster, Hopebringer
"Jack" - Githyanki Scoundrel
Website
Corlupi
04:39:06 AM 08/03/19
Awooo

Registered Member #2942
Arannim

Subchapter IV: The Calm Before the Storm

Renneleth Margaladhon's Journal wrote ...

Day 6:

Between myself, Darren and Elissril, Riftdelve has finally been mapped. We took and held the harbour long enough to find and commandeer a vessel, and our journey took us down River Styx to the farthest reaches of the World-Eater's layer. We ran aground on an icy shore by the foot of a mountain of rift-stone, and made our way toward a colossal palace cresting the summit. The trekking was slow and painstaking. Violent blizzards hindered our passage constantly, and the rift-stone ground under the snow ate at our very souls. We endured long enough to find shelter in a vast tunnel. On the other side of it awaits the palace, looming omnipresent and terrifying over the desolate landscape.

There is no longer any doubt in our minds that the palace is the heart of the World-Eater's domain. Inside, perched on a throne or slumbering in deep vaults, is the demon-lord that brought Thain to her knees. Twice. Gorrath, the World-Eater, the Great Devourer and the Bane of Civilisations. That I am here at all to retrieve Zeraphil, that there was such a thing as the destruction of Greenwood to begin with, it is the World-Eater's doing. So many of Thain's ancient civilisations - so many heroes, champions and even gods - have perished to the World-Eater.

And yet here we stand, on the threshold to his sanctum. And we must push on. For Zeraphil, we must push on...

[ Edited 11:09:58 AM 08/03/19 ]

Website
Corlupi
07:19:49 AM 08/07/19
Awooo

Registered Member #2942
Arannim: Epilogue

For nearly a millennium, since the conclusion of the Second Cataclysm, the elves of Thain have yearned to reclaim glories of ages past. But so, too, has Man, for the elves were not the only people to suffer the aftermath of the World-Eater's war. The pinnacle of human civilisation on Thain, Vongottstein, also fell during that time of great upheaval. But Man did not resign himself to defeat and apathy as did the elves. Where the elves bickered amongst each other, wallowing in their defeat and quick to dispense blame rather than accept it, Man rose from the ashes of the Second Cataclysm like a phoenix. Atop the ruins of Vongottstein, Man built an ever greater city, a city where all things and all people are unified in a web of commerce, culture and politics.

Scholars often juxtapose the old civilisations with the new, curious to investigate parallels and discrepancies between Vongottstein and Steinkreis, or Greenwood and Greenvale. Yet they always omit to answer this very curious question: how come did it take no less than a century for Man to rebuild his lost civilisation when it took nearly a millennium for the elves to rebuild the City of Elisara? To answer this question, one needs to understand the fundamental differences between Man and elf. Some of these differences have been explored in-depth in previous chapters, but there is one obvious and a rather decisive difference that has not been mentioned. Elves have been on this world much longer than Man.

Consider that a while. When one refers to the elves as an Elder Race, one does not simply imply that they live much longer than Man. Elves are Man's elders because they have been on this world long before most other races. When Man was yet an unshaped fetus in the divine womb, elves built wonders in kingdoms and empires that spanned millennia and stretched across vast distances. This has deep-seated implications for how elves understand the world and how they view those that co-inhabit it with them. To an elf, Man is a child; he is a young sapling where the elf is a matured oak. In the eyes of elves, Man is unwise, imprudent, capricious and morally ambiguous. Were you to harbour this view on someone else, would you reach out to them in times of calamity, or would you perhaps rather trust blindly in own wisdom and deal with those who are less enlightened only peripherally?

When an elven huntmaster sought to strengthen his people and return them to former glory, rather than looking for that strenth outside the borders of his forest, he plunged himself and others into the heart of the Abyss to restore an ancient elven prince who had once ruled the elven people. In the eyes of Man, a young race that does not let themselves be burdened or hindered by nostalgia, this would seem a controversial and foolhardy endeavour. Man would say, "but why seek to revive the dead or find answers in the past when the past is long gone, and it is gone for a reason?" To this an elf would say, "but we are an Elder Race and our ways do not align with yours. We do not expect you to understand for, indeed, you cannot." In this one regard, Man is the wiser one.

Unification. Sestanine. Beside the connotative and etymological differences there exist between Man's and an elf's understanding of the word, these two races also enforce unification in difference ways. Man, ever opportunistic and, perhaps, realistic, unites with whoever is willing. Man does not look opportunity in the eye and say: "but wait, I must decide if you are as old and wise as I before I am willing to consider your offer." In contrast, an elf only unites with another elf, because only an elf is able to understand and appreciate the complexities of another elf. And so we return to that question which was posed above: how come did it take no less than a century for Man to rebuild his lost civilisation when it took nearly a millennium for the elves to rebuild the City of Elisara? The answer is simple. Man looked for help outside his race and outside his borders. Consider that less than a year ago, when the Great War was at its climax, the victorious party or parties did not win because they were reserved about whom they allied with. They won because they were willing to ally with whoever answered the call.

Man and elf, while they seldom agree on how and with whom to unify, they often unify for the same reasons. Military advantage, cultural and economic exchange, and, of course, hope. Hope for a better and safer future. And if it is, indeed, hope that decides when, how and why any individual or race should unify with another, rather than finding differences, should we all not instead look for similarities? Hope, after all, is universal to all races.

In closing words, we elves should have heeded our own wisdom. We see themselves connected to all living things. We believe that all living things have a place on the Great Wheel. If this is truly so, if we elves respectfully acknowledge that we share this world with others, lest these others be monsters, should we not be more accommodating of them? Should we not, when the opportunity arises, share this world with others in more than spirit? My kin in Greenvale have taken this lesson to heart and opened their city to all who would live there in peace and harmony. As I pen these closing words, I hope with all my heart that the rest of my kin do the same. I know that I will. Hope, Estel, it is something my people share with all other races, and because we do, to look for hope and unification, we should look beyond finding it only among kin; indeed, we only need to look left or right to find hope in a friend, be they elf, Man, dwarf, gnome, halfling or half-orc. If we do not amend our ways, Elder Race or no, in time we will perish with the winds of change.

Zeraphil knew this, but it dawned on him far too late. I will not be making the same mistake.

- Renneleth Margaladhon

[ Edited 09:59:19 AM 08/07/19 ]

Website
Raven1210
10:38:34 AM 08/19/19
Jungle Law Enforcerer

Registered Member #1180
An excerpt from Elith's diary. These notes have been written somewhere in the Underdark, the words have been rewritten many times.

Gathering the materials for the portal is proving more difficult than I had anticipated, but this offered me yet one more occasion to go over what happenned in the presence of Queen Yu'syu.

Kellendill, Renneleth and myself finally had managed to find audience with the Her Majesty, by her looks she seemed frail and still recovering from her recent wounds but, despite her injuries, she still had an otherwordly sprint in her pace. Truly, she seems one of the relic of our distant golden age.

But I digress and I should try to write in orderly fashion, unless my thoughts will be too confused even for me to understand.

At first, the idea to create a connection, a portal between Greenvale and Feywood was devised by the Huntmaster as we talked on the Grey Iron Mines along with Ekka the druid.
Renneleth believed that the creation of a large and stable portal could allow en masse transportation of people or amies in case of danger, strenghtening the connection and feeling of unity among the elves of the Island.
This connection could grow: created at first in front of the imminent danger but strenghtened for a later time, believing that a unification among the elven people of Thain was not only possible but even foreseeable.

I must admit I was moved by his words, I saw in my mind the tales of Elithruldor become reality again and the golden age restored. Dreaming, as the humans say, is free and hurts no one.

Alas, for as much as I hope the Huntmaster to be right, I believe that our people will never unify in one single realm for not only the customs have changed but also a deep and underlying distrust and pride in the differences has settled.

Despite cold logic, Hope and Duty still call to me.

There again, I digress.

Aside Hope and Duty, the perils faced in the last months have been great and still our lands are scarred by them, not just the northern Woods but even the City of Elisara, as cobblestones are still upturned and lamentation are sang.

A connection, a portal between the Stronghold and the City of Elisara could be a good way to allow passage for few elite individuals in order to answer to unxepcted dangers and attacks.

Her Majesty saw the wisdom in that.

Even though Renneleth hoped for a large portal, such connections are not only beyond my grasp, but even too hazardous to create and maintain. I explained it to him, as the Queen did: to move large quantities of people through portals would cause many to die in the process (as once was attempted by the very well known and corrupted archmage Syann), not to mention that the energies required to mantain such huge portal would attract unwanted attention from many extraplanar and dangerous creature, and, finally, the political reasons, no place proud for its indipendence would allow (even if doable) the creation of a portal that could carry armies within its premises.

Renneleth saw the truth and good will of our words, still he hopes that this fragile connection could be the first step of many to come to reunite what was once whole and then divided, needless to say the Hope is shared.

In the end, Her Majesty granted us her permission to create such link, if the the Feywood Council would not oppose to our initiative. As of now, I can only hope the Feywood Council will see our reasons and not trench itself in petty self reliance.

Then, after she listened and gave us her blessing, Acanthus of the Celestial Order and Ekka the Druid joined us.
With the newly gathered, Her Majesty showed us something, a glimpse of a faraway land. I dare not put what I saw into words for if this notes end in the wrong hands calamity would fall over our kin, let it be said that arrangements have been made in case of necessity but these same arrangements make me worry that the hope of the Unification of our kin could turn into an abhorrent race war.

I rather not think about that.

For now, one can only hope that the Council will see reason, not only for the creation of the portal but even for whatever future will unfold.

May Elisara guide us all.

[Edited for IC consistency, sorry guys]

[ Edited 12:05:49 PM 08/29/19 ]

Raven - Weaveborn. Dead and feasted upon by Razorfangs.
Death of a sorcerer

Elith Sianicen - Baelnorn bound in eternal service to Elisara.
The Newcomer - Enough of the Order : the consequences for others , and for Elith (Poisonwood Traitors, a small role, but great impact on the old elf) - The Walls and the Pain - The path to Freedom - Greenwood Chronicles
Raven1210
09:33:40 AM 09/03/19
Jungle Law Enforcerer

Registered Member #1180
Elith surfaced, having gathered all the materials necessary for the creation of the portal between Greenvale and Feywood.
Now, the next step was perhaps the most difficult: persuade the Council of Feywood of the idea.

Hours later, in his room within the Greenvale Academy of magic, Elith wrote three identical letters, sealed and given to his familiar Sker.

-Bring them to Renneleth, Ekka and Kellendil. Go unnoticed and tell Ekka to whisper his name to the letter and bring it close to his hear, the letter will read itself to him-

The fey nodded once and was about to disappear from view under the cloak of invisibility when Elith continued.

-Sker, no unnecesary stops peeeking inside the baths, you have already been caught once-

The Fey gave the Sorcerer a crossed look and started to talk in an annoyed and pleading tone:

-How could I possibly have known that the invisibility purge sphere had been restor.. -

Elith held up his hand silencing him.

-Just don't get caught, it is urgent-

The fey grinned.

-Yes Master-

The letters would read in clear writing:

Friends,

I have gathered the necessary components to mantain the portal in place. At your earliest convenience, we should make our way to the Feywood Council and seek its approval.

Elith

Raven - Weaveborn. Dead and feasted upon by Razorfangs.
Death of a sorcerer

Elith Sianicen - Baelnorn bound in eternal service to Elisara.
The Newcomer - Enough of the Order : the consequences for others , and for Elith (Poisonwood Traitors, a small role, but great impact on the old elf) - The Walls and the Pain - The path to Freedom - Greenwood Chronicles
Corlupi
06:02:59 AM 11/28/19
Awooo

Registered Member #2942
Nestad

Man comprehends restoration as returning something to a former condition. To the Elf, this is a paradox. Nothing ever stays the same, nor can it be perfectly reverted to a previous condition. A chipped dome can be repaired, but the filled-up cracks and grooves will always remain under the layer of grout. Not unlike chipped stone, a heart chipped with grief can likewise be mended, but it will never be free of the memory of pain. Thus, what Man calls restoration, we Elves call mending. Nestad. To make whole something that is damaged, but without erasing the memory of the damage. For, truly, such is impossible. And, indeed, 'tis good that it is lest we forget that both stone and living creature are given quality not because they endure the erosion of time with permanence, but because they are malleable. A pebble on a beach was once a mountain, but that does not make it less beautiful.

Man looks at Steinkreis with longing, desperately yearning back to the time of Vongottstein when all things were grander, more refined and more dignified. They excavate ruins and put relics of the past on display in gilded halls. Then they study these relics in meticulous detail, hoping to evoke the wonder of the past with contemporary architecture. Less Steinkreis, more Vongottstein. Less present, more past. We Elves must learn not to make the same mistakes, because, indeed, we are more prone to it than any other race. Compared to Man, our lifespans are eternal; we are permanence in an impermanent world. Just as Man recalls the memory of Vongottstein with a certain pride and longing, so does my kind reminisce about Greenwoods with desperation. If only we could return to the glories of the past, all things would be better. But, in our centuries-old wisdom, we should have long learned that we cannot.

We cannot erase the sorrows of our past, but then that was never supposed to be the point. We are our sorrows; they define us, and when overcome, they give us strength and hope. Too long have Elves looked to the past and reminisced. Unification and greatness, we thought, was about turning back the sundial. But it is about the opposite.

Let this be the first time my kind look to the future. Let us recall that nestad is about acknowledging what was, but moving forward regardless.

We cannot restore Greenwood.

...but we can mend Greenvale, Feywood and Heartwood. And, one day perhaps, we can conjoin their peoples.

[ Edited 04:20:06 AM 03/26/20 ]

Website
Corlupi
05:06:49 AM 03/26/20
Awooo

Registered Member #2942
Annon Edhellen

[ image disabled ]

It can be difficult to conceive, especially to us who are Elf-kind, that many of the kin who reside in Feywood have never set foot in the City of Elisara, or that many of the young brothers and sisters born in Greenvale have never seen the splendours of Feywood. The Foredhel and the Haredhel, Elves of the North and the Elves of the South, share common ancestors, and both peoples are faithful children of the Seldarine; we speak the same tongue and recite the same prayers, and we find fulfilment and purpose in similar things. Yet we are separated from each other, by distance and by some trifling variety of customs and ideals. How is it that a woodcutter from Hamley, a draper from Steinkreis, and a fisherman from the Northlands, humans who have nothing at all in common save an abbreviated lifespan, find more common ground between them than do the Foredhel and the Haredhel? We simply have no worthy excuse for our indifference of each other's affairs, and we have no excuse at all for forgetting to nurture our shared origins. That we have not remedied this indifference in the past is a sin in the eyes of the Seldarine, but it does not deprive us of the opportunity to do so in the present. And so that is exactly what we shall do; we shall build bridges between the Foredhel and the Haredhel to remind them that we are one people, and those bridges will not be metaphorical. We will build a Great Door, Annon Edhellen, between our two peoples, and we will not be content until every brother and sister from Feywood has seen the grandeur of Yu'syu's court, and until every brother and sister from Greenvale has walked under the majestic canopies of Feywood.

Will the Queen of the South endorse our efforts? Will the Feywood Elder Council? Perhaps a better question would be, do they have a choice? If either Feywood or Greenvale succumbs to another incursion on the same scale as the Darkfey War, if they fight on their own, there may be no Feywood or Greenvale left in the aftermath. The Annon Edhellen will be a product of a dream that is both beautiful and hopeful, but it will also be a product of necessity, for dark are the times we now live in.

We put our trust in the School of Magic, but the Annonen Edhellen is more than arcane energy; it will also be the pinnacle of a more primal power. We have sister Tauredhiel to guide us, and we have beckoned the wisdom of the druids of Feywood. We shall beckon the Called as well.

[ Edited 05:10:53 AM 03/26/20 ]

Website
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top