| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Kagali
12:31:52 PM 11/21/19
I still remember the day Tavi got epic. 'Twas also the day Meri got a +3 ring of protection! 'Course, now that's not so special, but it was a huge deal back then!

Shade
09:02:05 PM 11/20/19
Tavi-Tavi is a legend.

Galorndan
08:35:12 PM 11/20/19
@ Izral. Keshva may still be lurking around somewhere, i suspect there may be quite an interesting homecoming.

Jandari
08:33:51 PM 11/20/19
I remember the TAVI!!!!!

Galorndan
08:31:51 PM 11/20/19
If I can ever manage to get a newer computer, yes, there will be a Tavi in Thains future.

...wait, there are still folk who remember the Tavi?

Izral
08:28:38 PM 11/20/19
What about Keshva?

Shade
08:02:53 PM 11/20/19
Will we be seeing the Tavi again?

Galorndan
12:10:43 PM 11/20/19
^_^

Shade
10:16:46 PM 11/17/19
*gasps* Galorndan! *wavity wave*

Galorndan
09:40:42 PM 11/17/19
Hello Thain

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Secrets of an Open Heart
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Dogbert, Inq_Damocles, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Vaeltava
03:08:49 PM 04/07/19

Registered Member #1761
As a kid, I never had any secrets from anyone.

Okay... that's not entirely true. I never told my sister Jessie where I hid her toys (under her bed, obviously). I never told my parents about the crush I had on the stablemaster's son (but I'm pretty sure they figured that one out anyway). There were plenty of things I didn't tell people, but I never actually hid anything.

I suppose I could chalk that up to having nothing worth hiding. What does a girl have to hide that anyone really needs go find out? Too bad I'm not a little girl, anymore.

My name is Lucille Sefton and I have a lot to hide.

Acanthus Aranneus Garanthes- Wizard; Schoolmaster; Celestial Knight
Garagnavagh- Voracious Gnoll Chieftain
Lucille Sefton- Wandering Soul
Darvin Wuthers- Merchant of Wares

Garagnavagh -- Funniest Character 2018; tied for Best Character 2018 with Ralzok Snagason.

Thain is what you make of it; No one will do anything for you. It's a video game, where we kill dragons in neverneverland. You can do whatever you want, and if anything, there will be droves of people to move in and support your idea. --Cannonfodder
Vaeltava
12:06:34 PM 04/08/19

Registered Member #1761
The hardest part about keeping a secret is who you're keeping it from.

When I first left home, it would've been easy to hide things. I joined a merchant train, doing odd jobs and working what magic I could to pay my way through the world. I didn't get too close to anyone, though most everyone knew who the redheaded teen was.

“Oh, that's just Lucy!” they'd say. “Hey, Lucy, how are ya?”

I didn't mind not having anyone too close. It's not that I'm a loner, I just didn't feel the need. I had friends I could laugh with, people I could go to if I needed something...my social life felt full.

I spent too much time “studying” my two-and-a-half spellbooks to need company, anyway. If I wasn't working or traveling, I'd find a quiet place with some birds or some trees and sit with my books open nearby. Nature was better company than anybody I knew. It was honest, for a start.

Nature taught me a lot more than anything else, at that age. My spellbooks could teach me about the way magic works, but the trees have a magic all their own; if you get really good at listening, they'll share some of it with you. After you learn from the trees, animals start getting interested in you, too. Eventually, there's a whole world full of things that can teach you anything you wanna know -- anything except how to keep a secret.

Like I said before, that wasn't a problem. I had no secrets to keep. If someone wanted to know something, they'd ask and I'd answer. Simple. Honesty becomes a habit if you do it long enough and habits are always easy. The first time someone asked about one of my secrets...I told them.

I can't stomach the thought of my friends knowing I'm keeping something from them. In truth, they probably wouldn't care; Felicity and Elissril have things they won't tell me, I'm sure. Still, I don't know how you can be someone's friend and still keep important things from them -- I know people do it, but I never learned how. The only thing an animal will hide from you is itself. If I hid any part of myself from Conrad...it wouldn't be “me” that he loved. It'd be the “me” I was pretending to be.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I do that. This is supposed to be a story.

The point is...Felicity knows, now. What I did. She doesn't think less of me, she says, and I believe her. She understands that I did it to protect Conrad. When this war's over, he'll be able to live whatever kind of life he wants because of me.

But if I ever thought El and Felicity could ever be as honest with me as nature is, that's gone now. They're still my friends and they won't push me away, but there's a limit to how far they can let me in. It's better that way. Safer. But it still hurts to know I'll be kept at arm's length for the really important things.

Conrad will have to do that, too. He's gonna have to keep things from me; he knows that, but...he doesn't know for how long. Every time he asks, I dodge the question. It makes me feel sick to do that...but how can I tell him it'll never end, when telling him in the first place felt like tearing out my heart?

Does everyone feel that way when they keep their secrets?

The real irony is that it's my honesty that's the problem. I'm creating one, big lie -- and in exchange...I have to answer all of her questions. Honestly. Whenever she asks, whatever she asks, or the deal's off...and I get to learn a whole new way to exist without friends.

I guess I have to do that anyway.

Garagnavagh -- Funniest Character 2018; tied for Best Character 2018 with Ralzok Snagason.

Thain is what you make of it; No one will do anything for you. It's a video game, where we kill dragons in neverneverland. You can do whatever you want, and if anything, there will be droves of people to move in and support your idea. --Cannonfodder
Vaeltava
11:32:21 AM 04/15/19

Registered Member #1761
I always prided myself on being an honest person, but I'm learning more and more that when you have friends, you have to keep their secrets, too.

I made friends with Elissril mostly because I became friends with Felicity. I'd stop by their place, not really "looking" for a meal, but usually finding one anyway, and we'd talk and we'd laugh. Then, when they wanted to go on an adventure or hunt a bounty (which used to scare me a lot, the bounties, but I I'm getting more used to the violence), I'd come along and lend my help where I could.

That's what I thought about friendship: you laugh together, you work together. Then, someday, you stop doing that and you can go your separate ways with no regrets.

That's not what friendship is, though. Not all of it, anyway. Friendship has a lot of trust to it. I told my secret to Elissril and, if anything, it feels like she trusts me a little more. I'm not in the hot water I thought I'd be in. Maybe secrets aren't all about lying... sometimes, they're an opportunity for better honesty.

Of course, I'm learning a lot more about Elissril and Felicity's life that I probably should be, all things considered. And I'm not talking about the weird relationship Elissril has with that evil drow. I'm talking about the weird relationship she has with the Celestial Order. (Elissril has a lot of weird relationships, come to think of it...maybe that comes with worshipping Sharess?)

As of right now, the Order's building some crazy golem. El helped get what they needed in order to build it...but then, because Kallista-I-guess, she went ahead and tampered with it all...the golem's still gonna get built, that much I know. But what happens once it reaches the battlefield? That's partly up to Elissril.

I tried talking her out of it. Let the golem work as intended. She's in too deep with the people the golem's gonna fight, though; she has to do -something- with the golem. That's probably for the best, too...because if she did screw it up on purpose and that "special someone" asked me what I knew about it... that'd make life into a special kind of hell.

On the bright side, if the golem isn't gonna absolutely wreck the Iron City, that means Conrad'll be safe. He might even still get paid. The siege can end, maybe the war, and we can go off and live that life he keeps talking about...the silks and mansion don't interest me as much as the wine does -- and not anywhere near as much as the time we'll get to spend together.

He's always off somewhere fighting something...I hardly ever see him. Which is fine. I know how to spend time alone, how to keep busy. I'm not draping myself over furniture, bemoaning my solitude and yearning for him to come home. That'll never be me. I look awful, hung over a couch.

Vaeltava
06:45:50 PM 05/08/19

Registered Member #1761
I've got a new secret. One that's a lot less personal, but probably more important.

I'll explain a little first: a few weeks ago, people started finding these weird, stone tablets all over the island. They find them in caves full of slimes and oozes, in the pockets of kobolds and goblins, and in the treasure troves of pirates and ogres. If it's a place too dangerous for you and your knife, you can find a tablet there.

When the girls and I went out on adventures, we'd usually find one or two in a single trip. Felicity saved the ones she found and gave them to me; I'd look them over and figure out that the odd symbols scrawled on them translated to actual letters!

Eventually, Agni the smith heard I'd been working on the tablet-puzzle and he came looking for me. Turns out, he's been working on the tablets, too.

Pippa and Elissril have been out of the house a lot, lately; Felicity is working doubletime at the Tankard; and Conrad is off doing whatever he does, so I've had a lot of time to burn. When Agni wanted to team up, I was all-too-happy to join him.

Now, we're working with a woman named Aeryth from the Celestial Order. A guy named Seth, too, but I think he was more consulting for Aeryth than anything else. I'd be glad to see him around if this gets dangerous, though!

We pooled our knowledge together and had enough tablets translated to work out what they said. Then, it only took a few days to figure out what the code meant (thank you, Agni!).

I wish I could tell you about what the tablets say. I especially wish I could tell you about the materials I spent just -hours- studying in the Steinkreis Library. With everything new I learn though, I agree more and more with Agni and Aeryth: we need to keep this between us. The only reason I'm talking about it right now is because I need to say something to -somebody-.

I can tell you that I've seen the place these tablets lead to. The riddle they hold is solved, as far as I'm concerned. The new riddle, though? I don't even know what to think. I've got a few leads I've found through study -- and now that I've got these kajubo buds (thank you, Arandion!), I might be able to follow through on one.

In other news, I caught up with Elissril. She's been working on a problem with mind flayers hiding out in the city... it's pretty complicated. There's some time-travel, criminal gangs under snake-induced mind control, and now there's a ball I apparently have to go to.

Elissril has some plan, once we're there. We'll stop whatever it is the flayers have planned...I just wish the reason she wanted me there was because of my magic...and not because I'm the best liar in her circle.

At least I get to go to a ball.

Jump:     Back to top