| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Rodgr Thunderguts
03:00:52 PM 10/14/19
Soooo much turkey.... need a nap haha!

archgrendel
08:59:27 AM 10/14/19
And to the others who want to celebrate from afar!

archgrendel
08:58:24 AM 10/14/19
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to the Canadian Thainites !

scratch_flannigan
12:30:36 PM 10/13/19
Nature Night begins in about 1.5 hours from the time of this post. That will be 2pm CDT (GMT -5).
Please check page 1 of the Nature Night: Phase 4 thread to see the map to the Wild Grove where we meet !

I will be on as Dauken. Please shoot me a tell if you have questions !

Luke
10:44:10 PM 10/10/19
Heh heh heh heh heh! Yeah yeah!

Kagali
03:59:08 PM 10/10/19
Vladislav! Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me...no more!
*Is impaled*

Luke
02:04:53 PM 10/10/19
Don’t hurt me, no more!!heart

Shade
12:31:41 PM 10/10/19
Baby don't hurt me

Luke
11:41:45 AM 10/10/19
What is love?

Cuchuwyn
10:17:58 AM 10/10/19
Necro night will be starting in a little under 3 hours! Hope to see folks there!

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Off-Topic :: Music, Books, Films and TV

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
A kind of thank you
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Dogbert, Inq_Damocles, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Kyssyt
04:38:42 PM 05/08/19

Registered Member #1273
Epilogue: Present

Crowds cheered in the way only a truly adoring mob can cheer. Flower petals flew into the air and the huge choir began their song of congratulation and delight. Outside on the street in front of the Central Circle, black birds were released in flocks and the massive audience gathered there made a noise even louder than the one coming from inside MOON ROOM.

On the balcony overlooking the street stood Simoon and Kafy, dressed in the most costly and ostentatious clothes the city had to offer. They gleamed and flowed and dripped and shimmered expensively, and for a few minutes graciously lapped up the adulation as they were expected to do.

After a while though, and calling out apologies and thanks, they glittered smoothly indoors to join the huge throng of specially-chosen revellers, well-wishers and potential benefactors. Everyone had come to celebrate the official wedding and dedication of Eshimoon Warindja Makishai and Kafiyu Lembiya Selemersa not only at the start of their life together, but at the founding of a new Obsidian City family: Ngyakiya.

Saiyali and Bethifika were standing together, clapping and cheering with some other Ngyakiya family and friends, as their new matriarch and patriarch Kafiyu and Eshimoon ambled down the balcony staircase arm in arm and made their way sparklingly to take their place at the head of the gathering.

The cheering and clapping subsided, and everybody sat themselves in order on the firm and silky cushions spread around the tables that filled the space from edge to edge and corner to corner. Hundreds of people had been invited and according to tradition, food was also being served to the enormous crowd of local well-wishers outside.

''I do love a big wedding!'' laughed Bethifika as she raised a glass to Saiyali.

Saiyali grinned back and answered, ''My first one, Fika! I must say I like it so far!''

They laughed and ate and drank and felt honoured to be part of something that felt truly momentous. The city didn't acquire a new great family every day, but thanks to the posthumous support of Saliki Nashivaar for her adopted daughter's new business ventures – and the generosity shown in several documents bearing her seal that were found in her personal archives – the new family was well prospected for success.

Saiyali and Bethifika both refilled their glasses and raised them towards their gracious hosts, who were sitting not far in front of them.

Saiyali called out, ''I do not approve – Mama, Baba – Fah! But I do wish you the best in all endeavours, eh?''

Kafy laughed and answered, ''Indeed, eh?'' enjoying the ironic fitness of her own well-honed accent, and playing up to her new role with glee. Friends around her laughed; more drinks were toasted and gulped. Bethifika raised her own glass and called out, ''Th' biggest name's got t' begin somewhere!''

Simoon called back, ''Exactly!'' and stood up, knocking on the table in front of him and calling for silence. ''Please! Friends! First of all, thank you! Thank you—'' He pointed at one shouting face not far to his left, ''—Yes, you too Mifele! No – thanks to everybody – really – for just – being here. To celebrate with us not just our love—'' he leaned down to kiss Kafy and they stayed gently nibbling each other for several seconds as lewd cheers rose around them. Simoon went on as he stood up straight again, ''—but also our new-founded Family! Ngyakiyasi – where are you all?''

Dozens of people – all the official members of the new family Ngyakiya, their paperwork completed and submitted and stamped earlier that very day – cheered out loud. Several drinks glasses flew across the room, prompting yet more cheers and a few warning cries.

Simoon held his hands up for quiet and amazingly, the raucous crowd obeyed. ''I won't keep you from your food for long, because I know you're all starving, right?—'' more laughs, and Simoon's hands flew up again. ''—I just want to say this! We're all of us destined to end at nothing. We all know it, and that's the reason we value family – right?—'' There rose more huge cheers.

Simoon went on, more slowly and seriously, ''—because family is bigger than any one of us – it goes on longer than any one of us – generations of time, on and on till everyone here is long forgotten. Not just a connective, that comes and goes with the people who make it and changes with every generation – we make a family because then our names can live on – after we die and we're long since dispersed into sky and earth. Our descendants keep us alive through the names we pass them – and we can only hope they don't go on to shame those names!'' He grinned to the gathering, winked at Kafy, and finally raised his glass high and called out, ''So! Here's to not being forgotten – and many honourable children!''

The crowd roared and everybody drank again. Simoon sat back down, Kafy raised her hand as a gesture to someone far at the other side of the room, and food began being served.
Saiyali was keeping an eye on the light outside as she ate and drank carefully, not allowing herself to get too full or become intoxicated. She was happily cheering and bantering, and passing comments with Bethifika on the attractiveness – or otherwise – of all the guests they could see from where they were sitting.

Bethifika noticed Saiyali's abstemiousness at one point when she went to fill her glass; Saiyali shook her head. ''No, thanks Fika. Not for me, not just now.'' Bethifika frowned, confused.

''But Saiya – 's a wedding! An' not every day y' get a whole new name!'' She raised her glass earnestly. ''Ngyakiya – ah, it's th' least we could do f' her, ah?''

Saiyali nodded and raised her own glass, nodding and replying in a low voice, ''I'll be glad when I can wear it officially. '' She gave Bethifika a confidential wink and added gleefully, and louder, ''Then, I'll have a lovely long name – like a Mama!''

Bethifika sneered, but answered with a chuckle, ''Ah – go on then wi' y' lovely long name!''

Saiyali cleared her throat and raised her own glass as if toasting herself. ''Saiyali Bilandu'te Saliki'we Nashivaar Ngyakiya'' She grinned, but with a joking wink to Bethifika added heartily, ''What a truly lovely name that is—''

Bethifika raised her own glass with a sincere and meaningful stare into Saiyali's eyes. ''An' so long!'' But she couldn't stop herself bursting into a fit of giggles, and Saiyali joined in with relish. Finally, Bethifika shook her head and cajoled, ''Saiya – go on, have a proper drink; y' know they got th' best – an' they actually bought it, too! 'S got t' be worth a real toast, ah?''

Saiyali nodded and smiled gently. ''Don't worry – I'm keeping a bottle for later. I've got an appointment tonight, so for now I need to stay – sensible''

Bethifika laughed. ''I understand – work work work, ah?'' She raised her glass again cheerfully. ''Then thank y' f' not including me in whatever it is, I'm planning t' be in no fit state!'' She laughed again and took a deep drink.

Saiyali sipped delicately as Bethifika raised her glass towards Kafy and blew a cheeky kiss in her direction with a grin. She smiled to herself as she recalled what this same Bethifika had told her once, in what seemed like another world; in a little old house next to the roaring grey ocean.

Nobody knows who they are; everyone thinks they're just a story.

But they're not.

In-game: Neverwinthefights
Kyssyt
04:43:59 PM 05/08/19

Registered Member #1273
[The Book]

The book lay on its back on the beach, spine broken and both covers glued to the grey sand by sticky sea weeds and a crust of salt. The pages waved and flapped in the wind, as if it was trying desperately to throw itself piece by piece into the sky.

Another page tore loose and was borne aloft, flying and tumbling on the gale over dune and grass and this time landing on a spiny, scrubby little bush where it flapped hopelessly. Finally by its own flapping and jerking it was pierced all over and ended up stretched tightly across the thorns; any passer by – however unlikely in this remote and windswept stretch of the Sea Heath – might have been able to read quite easily as they passed:

Pocket Guide to the Empire (2284 edition)

Congratulations on purchasing A Pocket Guide to the Empire! We are certain you will find it useful, enlightening and fascinating.

This edition sees even more information in an even smaller Guide – and for the first time ever we now include fold-out artists' impressions of some of the more notable sights you may be lucky enough to encounter on your travels. Annotated scale maps of all locations are included, as always, and once again we've tried to keep everything as up-to-date as possible. We always appreciate it when travellers send us new and better information, so if you find anything in the Guide which ~is~ inaccurate, or even just misleading, we encourage you to get in touch and let us know.

Our aim is to be reliable, trustworthy, and an indispensable guide for all travellers of any means and background, and we thank you for putting your trust in us by purchasing this book. We wish you the best of luck in all your voyages, and if you happen to be passing one of our offices, feel free to drop in and tell us your best travel stories!

Obsidian City (Main Office):
3rd Floor, East 17th / River Park Back
North Gate Circle, Obsidian City

Gold City Office:
4th Floor, 72 Outer River Blvd
Gold City Western Settlement

Opal City Office:
The Old Four Bells, Ground Floor South
a42 Serpentine Way, High End, Opal City.

Kyssyt
05:23:23 PM 05/08/19

Registered Member #1273
The End

Thank you for reading, if you did.

If you skimmed it, I suggest reading it backwards, it works just as well.

I'm now going to add some reflections, because this is a strange book and its main failing is IMO that it's slow, especially at the start.

Actually, for me it's not a failing, because this story was basically a way for me to escape some really trying personal circumstances. So I frame it not as slow but as immersive, sensuous, descriptive, rich. A friend who read it called it 'a real trip', which I loved obviously, but from a friend so awww. Anyway, it is meant to be something to fall into and get lost in, I was completely lost in this world as I was writing, to me that's one of the big appeals of writing and reading fiction - a home away from home that's more interesting than home.

Another excuse: This actually began (as I may have mentioned) as an attempt to create a roleplaying world for tableop gaming. The other stories set I this world (and there are two sorta 'finished' and another in a first edit) have all started as attempts a writing game modules, that overflowed and became full books. I'd say they probably make better actual stories, because the long, drawn-out 'world-building' was done in Shadow Sister.

I'd still like to make games for this world, and devise a system for playing - but honestly, I have no idea where to begin. So if anyone reading would be up for that please get in touch. And if anyone fancies making Shadow Sister into a graphic novel or a movie (I personally think it would make a good 10-episode series lol), call me!

PDFs are available of all the abovementionred. I've been umming and awwing about including a link to a download page, but at this point I think I've earned the right, after reformatting a 170000-word book to post on a fantasy RP forum. So, all the PDFs are available for free from here. That one is shadow sister specifically, but the others are linked to there.

Oh, and another thing: poncey British spelling. Sorry about that

So again, thanks for reading, even just reading this bit. I now invite comments and critique, but I won't be hurt if there's nothing. Peace out etc.

Kyssyt
05:04:48 PM 09/25/19

Registered Member #1273
o hai

Excuse me, but one of the things I've been trytng to get done this summer, is a re-write / extensive edit of Voidstone, the second book of this little series. Anyway because it doesn't have so many page breaks and images, I've managed to make a PDF which fits here .. so, here it is, for anyone who'd like to try something else:

voidstone_by_csm.zip

Here's the blurb...

The last Shadow Sister is dead, and the Voidstone she kept has appeared. Three quite different creatures seek it. One claims it as ancestral property and a badge of office. One claims it so as to keep a blood promise to its final keeper. One claims it in order to heal her lands, and break an ancient curse. But the dead woman was not the last Shadow Sister - and hers was not the last Voidstone.

Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top