Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Shards
    Shards  2 months ago

Happy New Year!

• Edrick
    Edrick  2 months ago

Happy New Year all!

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

You the man thanks mate

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

There it is!

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

-Clickedy-

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

Anyone have the thain discord link, thankyou

• Payne
    Payne  5 months ago

Edrick... mad

• Edrick
    Edrick  5 months ago

Payne

• !ofAkindGuy2000
    !ofAkindGuy2000  5 months ago

Thanks.

• Glognar
    Glognar  5 months ago

There is! You need to examine the omnidye to find the info. I also think that there is still an error though in one of the numbers.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Neverwinter Nights
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

On Player-run events

LAN_402 LAN_403
Cuchuwyn
5:47:58 am GMT 09/03/18
Cuchuwyn Registered Member #24041 Joined: 4:19:01 am GMT 01/24/17
On Player-run events.

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that player-run events, both small and large, are the lifeblood of the server. They give meaning to the world of Thain and they help characters grow and change into things that feel real and lifelike. This post isn’t meant to be a guide on how to write a player-run story, but instead a compilation of tips and resources I’ve found useful over the course of my time here. I am in no way saying I am some kind of expert in the field, and part of the reason I am making this is to also ask for any advice, tips, etc., that others may have that can be added to this. This is essentially meant to be what I would have liked to have known when I first started out on the server, in the hope that it can help new players to start on their own events. I also hope to compile several resources into one place as a quick reference for both new and experienced players. If you’ve been doing events for a long time, much of this will be old hat for you, but I am seeing a lot of interest in themed nights and such, so felt like this might be helpful for players who participate in those and want to try something of their own.

Important note: These tips and tricks will assume at all times that there is NO DM present, and that everything in the event is truly player-run.

For my own sanity, I am breaking this down into two sections: General tips, and tips for specific types of player-run events.

General tips:

Making your own NPCs

Squidget has very helpfully created a host of commands to allow you to change the appearances of your summons, familiars, and animal companions: The list of all possible appearances can be found here.

This is invaluable to setting the stage for your event, if you wish to use a narrator, plot hook, etc, that your character might otherwise not have access to. Familiars are by far the best to use for this (available if you have levels in wizard or sorcerer), as they can be possessed in order to move independently from your character, but summons and/or animal companions can serve well enough. The commands /tksum, /tkpet, and /tkfam will allow you to speak through your summon, animal companion, and familiar, respectively. If you are possessing your familiar, you can just type normally and the familiar will say whatever you type.

Dressing your summon/familiar/animal companion:

You can use the chat commands found here to alter the appearance of your summon, familiar, etc. Suddenly an elf can have a ghostly aura applied to it by using /ghost 1 (assuming it is a summon) to imitate a ghostly spirit, or a hag can have barkskin applied using /barkskin 3 (for an animal companion) to approximate a treant. I like to play around with the combinations to see what kinds of things I can make. When I have something I like, I use /summonname and /sumdesc (or /compname and /compdesc or /famname and /famdesc) to change the name and description of the new helper.

Use /summonscale (or /compscale or /famscale) followed by a number (range is 50-150) to change how large/small your critter is.

You can give your summons/familiars/companions wings by using the commands /summonwings x and /nextsummonwings x. Set the wing type with 0-6. /familiarwings and /compwings are also added.

There are also a few commands to allow your summons to have a dynamic appearance:

/summonappearance [elf/human/halforc/halfelf/halfling/gnome/dwarf] - Sets your summon to use a dynamic appearance.
/summonhead # - Sets your summon's head model by index # for that race.
/summoncopy - Copies the appearance of your armor and weapons onto your dynamic summon (these have no properties, and base armor should remain the same.)

Extra tip: Use the command /namesumapp (name)|(number) to change the name and appearance of your summon both at once. For example, /namesumapp Bob|123 will give you a summon with the name of Bob and the appearance 123 (which is a Mohrg). This command also works with familiars and animal companions (/namefamapp Bob|123 and /namecompapp Bob|123). Useful to set as a text macro for those who summon the same thing a lot.

Extra tip: Use the command /nextsummon # (or /nextcompanion # or /nextfamiliar #) to get your next one of each of those to be whatever appearance you set in advance. Useful for in-the-moment summons. /nextsummonscale, /nextsummondesc, and /nextsummonvfx specify the name, description, and an initial VFX for the next summon. VFX numbers are from those listed here. Changes you make carry over if you cast the spell into a spell gem or prop too!

Important note: Currently anything classified as a henchman or that is dominated (certain specific summons like the dirgesinger song of awakening summon or the final palemaster summon, anything controlled with Animal Empathy or certain gold chest items) cannot have their appearances changed, but you can still speak through them using /tkhench or /tkdom).

Extra tip: If you have a dominated creature (via a gold chest item, spell effect like Elemental Swarm, etc.), use the command /dismissdom to release them without having to rest.

Releasing Summons

Typing /releasesummon will open a menu allowing you to pick the faction you wish your summon to belong to. Any vfx changes, name changes, scale changes, etc., will copy over when the summon is released. Releasing a summon removes it from your control, allowing you to set up encounters for later. You can talk through summons you have previously released by using /tknpc.

Extra tip: Use the command /nextreleasesummon followed by a faction name (e.g.: /nextreleasesummon hostile or /nextreleasesummon Iron City) to specify which faction the next summon will automatically join. Useful for summoning multiple hostile things in a small area so they don't attack each other.

Extra tip: /destroysummon will destroy the nearest released summon once owned by you. Please clean up after yourselves.

*Please keep in mind that hostile released summons should not be left near transitions or in areas where they are likely to hinder low-level players. Currently the server supports having up to 15 released summons per map, but please be mindful of lag, especially in already-crowded maps.*

Familiars

Unlike summons and animal companions, familiars can roll skill checks just like PCs can! Familiars also have a pair of commands to make them easier to use in eventing:
/famuse - Causes a possessed familiar to use the nearest object.
/famtake - Causes a possessed familiar to pick up the nearest item (the item is sent to the master)

Props and Placeables:

Props and placeables are both useful tools for helping to make your event come alive.

Props can be found using the /props command. Purchase a prop changer and a prop, and use the activated ability on the changer to set how your prop looks. There are quite a few appearances for each type of prop, so you’ll have to cycle through them, but there’s probably something that will work for whatever kind of item you want. You can use a naming quill from the /craft menu to change the name and description of the prop as well.

Extra tip: Props are enchantable too! If you have one of the crafting feats (craft wand, brew potion, scribe scroll), you can cast a spell into a prop to create a one-use item! The prop will automatically charge you experience and gold when you do this, but it works in the same way that enchanting a spell gem does. This can be useful to create rewards for players (giving them a consumable as a token of having participated in the event), as well as to create traps in the event (include an OOC note in the prop description to activate the spell when the prop is touched, for example).

Placeables can be found from the /placeables menu. Most placeables will not have their names and descriptions show up to other PCs (the exceptions being the sign, skull pole, brazier, candle, barrel, and the combat dummy)

To remove a placeable, use the /destroyplaceable (or /dp) command. This will remove the closest placeable to your current character. You will need to use this command multiple times if you have multiple placeables.

Extra tip: Placeables will be destroyed by any hostile NPCs that come within a certain radius of them. If you are using them in a cave with monsters (or in a city where the guards are hostile to you), be careful that they are far enough away from any patrols or they will disappear! Also keep in mind that if NPCs turn hostile during the event (ie: guards attacking a shifter in the party, etc.) your placeables may well be destroyed. Exceptions to this rule are for non-blocking placeables (the light shafts, mist, bloodstains, tracks, summoning circle, etc.).

Extra tip: Squidget has helpfully added several commands to make placeables more varied:

/nextplaceable allows you to specify the scale, hover height, and rotation of the next placeable you put down.
Examples:
/nextplaceable scale|50 will set the next placeable you put down to 50% size (limits are 20-300%.)
/nextplaceable hover|100 will hover the next placeable a meter off the ground.
/nextplaceable rotatex|180 will rotate the next placeable around the x axis by 180 degrees. rotatey and rotatez work too.
/nextplaceable vfx|# will give the placeable a persistent vfx. Click here for the list of possibilities

/nextplaceable commands will persist until you type /clearplaceable (or /cp)

Types of events:

Broadly speaking, I would say there are two basic types of player-run events: PC-led events, and Pseudo-DMed events. A PC-led event is one in which your character tries to gather others together to go do some quest-like thing. A Pseudo-DM event is one where you as a player act as the DM, using placeables, props, familiars, etc. to tell a responsive story with other players. Often this means that your own PC is actually absent from the event.

PC-led event tips:

-If possible, make sure that all placeables you plan to use during the event will stay put (ie: that there are not hostile things to destroy them) before the event. If you plan to have a ‘treasure’, it may be wise to go ahead and place that inside a container somewhere (just be careful of server restarts!) Barrels from the /placeables menu can be used as containers for things if nothing exists naturally in the server.

-Have backups! Sometimes things go awry, placeables get accidentally hit, etc., so if possible, have a backup of important things you want to have for easy resuming of the narrative.

Pseudo-DM event tips:

-Often I will use alt characters who I don’t play very much but who have familiars to help run these. Familiars are amazing for this kind of thing, as unlike summons and animal companions they are able to move away from the PC when possessed. Often I will stick my PC behind a door somewhere while invisible, and use the familiar as the guide/antagonist for the players.

-Keep in mind that if you need to have more than one NPC, you will want to have your familiar change appearance. Using the /famnameapp command can make this process go much more smoothly.

-It may be wise to have several different ‘end states’ in mind, depending on choices the players make. This doesn’t necessarily mean the story is over, but the event may need to conclude so that you can plan the next parts based on what happened in the current event.

-Logistically these types of events are much harder to run than PC-led events, as there is only so much that your familiar can do while staying in-character. As much as possible, use placeables and props to offer clues for players to follow.

-Be prepared for the unexpected! The few times I have run these types of events, I can’t remember any of them going exactly as I had foreseen. Be ready to give out information in tells or with OOC comments as the familiar, and encourage players to make skill rolls if the situation calls for it.

In Conclusion

I hope this can be helpful and/or inspiring to people who either run events or who might want to run one in the future. I invite any and all tips, tricks, etc. that I missed to be posted below-- believe me, I'm still learning too!

*With special thanks to Alanonas for helping proofread and offering suggestions for things I missed!*
Kira
6:33:30 am GMT 09/03/18
Kira !
Registered Member #20 Joined: 8:30:40 am GMT 02/25/04
Awesome stuff! It makes me happy to see this all in one place. I had no idea if anyone else would use these systems when I added them.

Some random additional tips, in no particular order.

• Blue and gold portals can be used to effectively create links between locations. Combined with placeables and some imagination, you can create entirely new "areas" this way by reusing an existing area.

• Only 'blocking' Placeables are destroyed by nearby monster activity. Placeables that do not block movement (such as tracks, bloodstains, and lightshafts) can be safely put down around NPCs, so long as they are not targeted by an AoE.

• If you need a specific /placeable for your story and you ask very nicely, I might add it to the store.

• The server will periodically clean up dropped items that are left on the ground (not in containers.) However, this cleanup will not be applied to PC-crafted items, which can always be identified by green text in the item name. You can safely leave your props on the ground and they will stay put indefinitely.

• Summons can be scaled up and down with /summonscale for more variety. Minimum size is 50%, maximum is 150%. This also works with familiars and companions.

• Chat commands can also apply some instant spell VFX, which can be very useful for in-the-moment visuals when storytelling. The full list is:
    /smokepuff
    /dispelvfx
    /quake
    /holystrike
    /firestrike
    /evilstrike
    /lightningstrike
    /magicburst
    /shiftvfx
    /summonundead
    /deathvfx

• Being in other people's player events is a great way to see what's possible.

• DMs love player events and will love you if you run them.

Cuchuwyn
6:57:31 am GMT 03/02/20
Additional VFX commands:

/aurared
/auragold
/aurafire
/auraacid
/aurashadow
/auranature
/aurastone
/auramagic
/whitestrike
/icestrike
/acidstrike
/magicswirl
/natureburst
Cuchuwyn
7:14:39 pm GMT 07/28/20
Dynamic summon model commands (still experimental)

/summonappearance [elf/human/halforc/halfelf/halfling/gnome/dwarf] - Sets your summon to use a dynamic appearance.
/summonhead - Sets your summon's head model by index.
/summoncopy - Copies the appearance of your armor and weapons onto your dynamic summon (these have no properties, and base armor should remain the same.)

(These commands also work for familiars and companions)

Extra tip: The /destroylastplaceable (or /dlp) command will let you remove the last placeable you placed, useful for when you are stacking things and want to make sure you don't accidentally remove the wrong placeable.
Cuchuwyn
11:39:49 pm GMT 08/13/20
Following a discussion on the discord, I made a short video on how to use placeables here: -Clickedy-
Cuchuwyn
12:05:16 am GMT 09/16/20
/comnpc or /commandnpc - Allows you to select a target creature. The target must be a released summon NPC you created. The NPC will move to the target location, attack the specified PC/placeable, or open the target door.
/tktnpc or /tktargetnpc - Allows you to select a target and speak through them. This works like /tknpc, except you can select the target rather than simply using the nearest one.
/comsum or /comsummon or /commandsummon - Command your summon to move to the target location, attack the specified creature/placeable, or open the target door.
/comfam or /comfamiliar or /commandfamiliar - Command your familiar to move to the target location, attack the specified creature/placeable, or open the target door.
/comhench or /commandhench - Command your henchman to move to the target location, attack the specified creature/placeable, or open the target door.
/compet or /comcomp or /comcompanion or /commandpet or /commandcompanion or /commandcomp - Command your animal companion to move to the target location, attack the specified creature/placeable, or open the target door.

Some notes on these:
-Released summons cannot be made to attack NPCs.
-Released summons that leave the area they were created in will be automatically destroyed.
-Like with /placeables, released summons are intended for building one-off events/scenes for others. See our guidelines on released summons and their IC relevance. In general, released summons are not intended to be used for massed personal minions/armies/guard forces, and being able to move them does not change this. As always, we ask players to be respectful of the game world and each other when using these tools.
Kira
8:26:24 pm GMT 09/27/20
Kira !
Registered Member #20 Joined: 8:30:40 am GMT 02/25/04
Instancing

On request, we DMs will instance areas for one-shot player events.

What this means is, we'll create a copy of an existing module area, which can be or without its standard NPC spawns. This instance will be identical to a standard module area (same placeables, and so on) except that it is separated from the rest of the server. Outside area transitions will be disabled, and the only way to enter the area is through player or DM portals and transitions.

This is useful for player eventing in a number of ways. Want an inaccessible area where you can do your intricate setups without fear? Want an area with a specific look/tileset, but none of the RP areas are suitable? Look for an existing module area that fits the bill, and ask for an instance of it.

We're generally willing to do instancing for one-shot events without too many questions or too much process. It does take some DM time to instance areas, so generally, it's best to only ask when you're ready to set up your event and have your ideas in place. It's also only for one-shot events - we're not looking to do persistent instances at this time for player housing, etc.
If something goes wrong (server crash, reschedule) and you need it created again, this can happen.

Instances can be a great tool for player eventing, so feel free to ask about them if you aren't sure.
Cuchuwyn
6:13:13 am GMT 07/02/21
A while back we were discussing some of the things we really like to see in player events, particularly with regards to using NPCs that represent a faction on Thain, and I jotted down my personal list of things I think about when I'm running an event. I'll leave it here in the hopes that it might help others to think about their events too:

1. When I'm involving a faction in a player event, I want to represent the faction I'm using in a good light, wherever possible (i.e.: I don't want to always have Kreis guards that are corrupt jerks, or Feywood elves that are dumb or petty.) Where I don't feel I have a good grasp of the faction, I'd rather play with others first who do before making a bunch of assumptions about them in an event.
2. I want to try to represent the faction as having real strength, even if the individual involved might be in a position of weakness at the moment. (i.e.: even if we're rescuing a Bloodguard, I don't want the event to feel like "haha, the Bloodguard are so weak they have to get saved by random adventurers all the time").
3. I don't want to change the overall feel of a faction just through a player event or try to make shifts in a faction's relationships with other factions (i.e.: I wouldn't want to try to get the Bloodguard to declare war on the Iron City solely by running player events where I made Bloodguard NPCs that wanted to go to war with the Iron City). The caveat here is that player events do help define factions! However, there is a line between building faction lore and using a faction to push your own character's goals, which leads me to-
3a: I try not to create NPCs that are just there to support my character's IC/OOC goals- NPCs should have motivations of their own.
4. Whenever possible, I tend to prefer antagonistic NPCs to be off-screen. I'd much rather my character say "oh, the guards were mean to me" than roll up a guard just to be mean to my character, particularly if that guard is of a faction my character would normally have conflict with anyway.

These aren't hard and fast rules or anything, just something I think is useful to think about if you're planning on having an NPC from a faction as part of your player event.

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 34
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: Heisenbeast
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
1. Malachi Valthorne
2. Dmitry Ahlefeldt
3. Seth von Hendricks
4. Elvalith Nain