| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Rodgr Thunderguts
03:00:52 PM 10/14/19
Soooo much turkey.... need a nap haha!

archgrendel
08:59:27 AM 10/14/19
And to the others who want to celebrate from afar!

archgrendel
08:58:24 AM 10/14/19
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to the Canadian Thainites !

scratch_flannigan
12:30:36 PM 10/13/19
Nature Night begins in about 1.5 hours from the time of this post. That will be 2pm CDT (GMT -5).
Please check page 1 of the Nature Night: Phase 4 thread to see the map to the Wild Grove where we meet !

I will be on as Dauken. Please shoot me a tell if you have questions !

Luke
10:44:10 PM 10/10/19
Heh heh heh heh heh! Yeah yeah!

Kagali
03:59:08 PM 10/10/19
Vladislav! Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me...no more!
*Is impaled*

Luke
02:04:53 PM 10/10/19
Don’t hurt me, no more!!heart

Shade
12:31:41 PM 10/10/19
Baby don't hurt me

Luke
11:41:45 AM 10/10/19
What is love?

Cuchuwyn
10:17:58 AM 10/10/19
Necro night will be starting in a little under 3 hours! Hope to see folks there!

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Weave, Source and Tainted Song
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Dogbert, Inq_Damocles, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Traveler121
10:38:21 AM 03/03/17
Registered Member #23855
((Those involved with the ancient blade are welcome to post here.
Earlier details are linked, starting here:))

-Clickedy-

It came to Kellenri from Glendel's hand, on a day when the last leaves were drifting from their branches. Little could she learn of it's history, for the elf's pain cut short his words. He spoke it's name as he knew it..... Clearly it was an ancient blade, with an aura of great power. But the pain in his eyes told of sinister things, and the air hummed with sound, just at the edge of hearing. She asked if the Tel'Varataurie might aid him, but he thrust the sword toward her, talking of virtue, of strength. "Will you take it Kellenri?"

Memory of abyssal screams and Red's whispers surfaced unbidden – she was not well healed from those, and the presence of this weapon brought an ache to old wounds.... but she had made her choices of service long ago.

Aye, she would take it, for Glendel was not meant for such things, and he was nearly spent.

There was battle for a time within him, as he struggled to release the blade to her, but finally he dropped it to the counter between them. Not wanting to touch the thing, she wrapped it in silk, and took it to learn more.

[ image disabled ]

-Clickedy-

Shielding her friends with her silence, she sat long with the blade, listening; and learned somewhat of its nature, even as it drew her strength away. Then she journeyed, seeking lore, but the libraries of the settlements held little that shed light. Carylduil, Lomir.... where were they that might know how such a thing could be unmade? But Glendel had said nothing of destroying. Indeed, he had hinted otherwise.

Still she held her silence, but Styvn's eyes told her he knew something was amiss, and she could no longer hide her strain. As deep winter came to the woods, she opened her heart to him, and showed him the ancient blade.

-Clickedy-
-Clickedy-
-Clickedy-

[ Edited 04:11:44 PM 03/25/17 ]

Kellenri - Elven Archer, Tel'Varataurie, Weaver of Words. (Portrait) Kell Scribbles From the Journal There's No Business Like Gnoll Business Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves Weave, Source and Tainted Song
Icehelm - Northern Sword-Swinger "Live with Abandon!" Snaedottir's Saga
Gaelrien - Deep Woodland Spiritwalker Way of the Earth Servant - Lema en i'Ceventaur

Winner 2014 "Best Party (Group/gameplay RP): Maxim, Kellenri, Stroth and Merum"
Winner 2015 "Best Heroine: Kellenri" * "Best RPer" * "Best Forum Storyteller"
Winner 2016 "Best Forum Storyteller" * "Best Player-run Plot, Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves - with Corlupi"

Traveler121
07:32:25 PM 03/03/17
Registered Member #23855
Slowly the sword relinquished a few scant secrets, but many it kept, as the days wore away, and with it archer's life force. And the taunting, persuading whispers grew. Friends found that their healing availed her less as the seasons passed, and she muttered to things no one could see. She was distracted, and made uncharacteristic mistakes; and missed the anxiety in friends' eyes as she drifted farther from them, and the strain in her own eyes grew.

She patrolled less often, away where few could see the struggle that drained her, as the months wore on. The whispers... like something she had known once... haunted her sleep.

Then came the Queen's call — for demons were seen in the southern bog, and the High One feared a rift had formed. Who would watch the road, and be between those dangers and the queen? Eluvial could come and go, but not stay; Styvn still recovered from Cathe's poisons. It fell to Kellenri.

Those were the harshest days of all. Whether because of the haunted bleakness of the bog with its ghosts and bitter history, or because here the draining enmity of the sword was stronger, she knew not. She made her home in a little cave near the road that afforded some safety, and a place to hide nearby. Blending with tree and grass she kept the long watch between scattered attacks by abyssal things, sending reports to the queen. Little moved there between Eluvial's visits, but curst things and the sad ghosts of fallen elves. Over the week, she became less certain certain what was real, and what was whispers in her mind.

[ image disabled ]

Styvn tracked her there two days after an attack by balor and their minions. When he asked how she fared, she shook her head numbly and asked if they might seek Carylduil while others patrolled the road, in a voice that reflected the thinness of her spirit. His eyes locked on hers, searching, but she could not read the thought behind him. Silently he nodded, and they traveled to the brightness of Greenvale.

In the safety of the Headmaster's study they shared their hearts with the revered mage, pleading with their eyes for answers. A long morning followed, setting wards against dangers that might be loosed if something went astray as he worked, then an afternoon of amazement, watching the archmage work.

[ image disabled ]

Flows of Weave poured over them, battering at times as the sword seemed to have a life that resisted all probing. They watched in awe as Caryduil commanded tides of power to probe the secrets of the sword. When he could learn no more, he emerged, weary but unscathed, to return the blade to Kellenri. She gave no outward sign, but her spirit flinched as he laid it again in the box that Styvn had made for it, and spoke of what he had learned.

-Clickedy-
-Clickedy-

[ image disabled ]

The risk she had taken, to carry the blade while she fought abyssal creatures, became clear. In the hands of a demon, the sword would be a furious weapon against the elves. And she was losing her battle with it. Cary and Styvn..... strained to persuade her to carry it no more, but she was loathe to pass such trauma to any elf. And loathe to release it at all.

Battle in her eyes mirrored the inward battle as Styn watched, silent; and the archmage murmured words to strengthen her heart against it's greedy pull. At last, with a wracking shudder she passed the sword to Styvn, and turned away.

Díheno nin, she whispered, for what she knew she had done to him.

[ Edited 11:04:42 PM 03/26/17 ]

Kellenri - Elven Archer, Tel'Varataurie, Weaver of Words. (Portrait) Kell Scribbles From the Journal There's No Business Like Gnoll Business Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves Weave, Source and Tainted Song
Gaelrien - Deep Woodland Spiritwalker Way of the Earth Servant - Lema en i'Ceventaur

Winner 2016 "Best Forum Storyteller" * "Best Player-run Plot, Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves - with Corlupi"

Traveler121
06:09:12 PM 03/05/17
Registered Member #23855

Time was measured by leaves new grown on tree and shrub, and journeys within the woods to check on her places and her creatures. How long before I am full healed? Kellenri wondered, as the weeks fell away and her strength returned but slowly. Styvn, was a greater concern, and she gave him the small treasure she had used against the whispers.... a celestial shard, hard won from the abyss when she followed Chaska there to make certain that a throne was indeed empty... before the days of Red's return. "This may aid you, and still the voices for a time." He took it in silent gratitude, and turned away. In the days that followed she gave much thought to the blade.
-Clickedy-

Later a new threat came, as the dwarven champion Galberk heeded voices in the Libre Magnificare that he held, and sent demons to make war on the the woods. Perhaps it was their presence in such numbers that prompted what happened soon after. For the sword that they knew only as Sin escaped the bonds of its box, and came against them; aided by images of themselves, capable, and most evil. All of the efforts of those there were nearly not enough to overcome it, and in the end Kellenri sang as she shot, of death to foes, and light to her bow-arm; and the sword fell to the ground from her arrow. They were certain the sword was stronger now, and more dangerous than they had known.
-Clickedy-

As the days fell behind them Styvn shared fewer words with her, and his eyes became more distant. Suppressing her alarm as Styvn's struggle wore on him, Kellenri sought counsel with Cael'am. His words brought the moment's danger into perspective, and she made plans of action, and readied her argument against waiting longer.
-Clickedy-
-Clickedy-

Now they had seen the Council, and the divisions of voice were no more then they had heard before. With that danger to the woods – to the Council – behind them, they prepared to journey south, to Draxus and the Queen.

Thranduil Greenleaf
10:41:35 PM 03/26/17

Registered Member #1145
Styvn stood at the Feywood fire, contemplating the happenings of the past weeks, when Renneleth stepped into the light from behind the trees. They greeted one another, and spoke of recent events. The subject of the relic Styvn carries came up, and Rennelth asked him what he would do. Styvn mentioned that he was waiting for an audience with Lord Draxus and Queen Yu'syu. Renneleth suggested that Styvn not wait for an invitation. He pointed out the seriousness of the situation and advised he go to the city of elves and insist on being heard. Styvn thought of Kell. He had wanted her to go with him but she was away on important busines and would not be back for some time. He decided Renn was right. The longer he waited, the greater the chance that things would become unmanageable. The sword was draining him and time was running out. He left the Feywood and headed for the city of Elisara.

Styvn greeted the door guard and was allowed entry immediately. He had been the Feywood ambassador to Greenvale since the long winter of Hamley, and they knew him well. He made his way to the platform where Wy'tear'rap used to rest. He waited for Lord Draxus to appear. He didn't have to wait long.

Draxus Ultimax: * from unseen hights a golden light spills and bathes the entire chamber in golden radiance. When
Styvn blinks to regain his vision, two massive wings unfurl -- more light than feathers -- to reveal
a humanoid of impossible stature *

Styvn: *head bow* My Lord Draxus. I have come to speak with you and the Queen on an important matter. Will you accompany me in to the Queens chamber to speak with her?

Draxus Ultimax: Indeed, Styvn. I have been expecting you. I know what it is you carry.

Styvn: *raises a brow* Indeed. That is good news. Myself and several others have spent much time and energy attempting to learn of this relic.

Draxus Ultimax: Perhaps, long ago, such would have been good news. But now, less so. The Sword of Hope has
fallen far and deep from what it was intended to be, its radiance tarnished.

Styvn: *tilts his head* The Sword of Hope? It has become an evil thing.

Draxus Ultimax: You do not know, then? How pecuilar, that you carry one of the oldest instruments of Andarus,
and your people, and do not know its origins.

Styvn: *shakes his head* Nay. Nor do any others I have told of it, until now. Even the Feywood Council did not know of it.

Draxus Ultimax: I sometimes forget, that time, to mortal minds, is a fixed river with but one direction. I remember
the sword, and the one who held it, as clearly as you now stand before me.

Styvn: *nods* It will be some relief to at least know of it's origins and history. It has become a powerful talisman for evil. Shall we join the Queen, or would you tell me of it in private, first?

Draxus Ultimax: Nay, Styvn. I think Queen Yu'syu is far too young to know the sword, or of it. But there is
another queen whom, I think, you ought to ask about it. For it was she that made it.

Styvn: *looks a bit surprised*

Draxus Ultimax: Do you know of whom I speak?

Styvn: Perhaps you speak of Queen Elisara?

Draxus Ultimax: I do. She is older than me, even. She walked these lands when humanity was but an idea. She
walked these lands when the ancient gods did. When my lord, now gone, did.

Styvn: I know where her spirit can be found. Do you mean that I should seek her out in that manner?

Draxus Ultimax: I know of the sword, but not what became of it, or why. I have my guesses, but why indulge
in guesswork when you can uncover a deeper truth?

Styvn: *nods in agreement*

Draxus Ultimax: Time, Styvn, is a river I see unfold in many direction. Soon, you shall have to make a choice.
And when you do, your river will snake along its own path. I hope you will choose wisely.

Styvn: Thank you for your time and your help, My Lord Draxus. I will seek out the spirit of Queen Elisara, then.

Draxus Ultimax: * towering a great many feet over Styvn, from these exalted heights the celestial looks down
upon the elf, bringing one feathered tip-of-wing to touch the elf's cheek * Go with Light, Styvn.
And remember, no matter the paths we tread, at the end, there is always light. *his curse
lessens somewhat, the strain of the sword loosening its hold on Styvn's spirit...
even if only temporarily*

Styvn: *bows deeply and backs away from Lord Draxus*

He made his way out into the courtyard, and down the steps toward the gate. A glimmer of hope had found its way into his heart.

Styvn-elf, Tel'Varataurie. -Clickedy- (player loggin = Thranduil Greenleaf) -Clickedy-

Roklynd Elendili-half elf, servant of Mielikki. (player loggin = Kun tao)

Theven Nimblfingers-halfling, lock & trap master. (player loggin = Gregor Wyrmbane)

Bob Johnson-human, large meat shield. (player loggin = Kun Tao)

Bor'el Greenleaf-elf, healer, priest of Corellon. (player loggin = Kun Tao)

Edan Amandil-human, healer. (player loggin = Gregor Wyrmbane)

John Smith-human, blacksmith. (player loggin = Gregor Wrymbane)

Rosco Underhill-halfling, "Underhill family" hit man. (player loggin = Gregor Wrymbane)[/color]

Kings are fools, and nations of men greater fools, to do the bidding of such men and be commanded by their pettiness.... and to die for their whims.
Thranduil Greenleaf
12:31:15 PM 03/27/17

Registered Member #1145
With that glimmer of hope in his heart, Styvn made his way through the gates of the city of Elisara and onto the path that led through the woods. So deep in thought about finding answers to his questions he didn't notice the razorfang until the arrow slammed into his leather jerkin. He slaughtered them as he walked through their midst, barely noticing their presence. As the last one fell, he reached up and pulled the arrow from his side and kept walking. He journeyed to the gates of the Cobblewall Inn, and there he took the hidden path behind the boulder and into the passage that led to the Poisoned woods. Rather than engage the inhabitants, he remained out of their sight and found his way to the opening in the cliff wall where he knew he would find the spirit of Queen Elisara. With only a moments hesitation, he stepped through the opening and into the cave.

Elisara: * the faintest outline of a woman manifests before Styvn, like a thin veil through sunshine, just barely hinted at in contour. An unyielding light envelops her *

Styvn: Queen Elisara. I come to you seeking wisdom.

Elisara: What wisdom do you seek, child?

Styvn: I carry an ancient artifact. One that My Lord Draxus has told me you made. It has become a thing of pure evil, and I seek the wisdom to cleanse it, or destroy it.

Elisara: Many ancient artifacts have I known, some even held. Of what one do you speak, child?

Styvn: *he reaches behind him and pulls a box around to the front. Then he opens the box, removes the sword, unwraps it from the silk dress, and lays it at her feet* This is the artifact, Queen Elisara.

Elisara: * the spirit of the once-queen kneels, or perhaps just floats in the air a certain way that suggest she does, an ethereal, translucent hand reaching toward the blade -- there is both anguish and pity in the spirit's voice * My old friend. So far from light you have fallen.

<>[ image disabled ]<>

Styvn: *watches in wonderment*

Elisara: Eteruna Nu'yr. * the spirit speaks in a wistful voice, reminiscing of a past long forgotten * She was a close friend. Together we came by boat to these distant shores.

Styvn: *listens intently*

Elisara: We were the first of our people to set foot upon the lands of Thain. The first of "any" people. Then, child, thousands of years ago, when gods walked the skin of the forests with us, much was different. There was no sundering, then, between our peoples. There was only joy and peace. And the song of the Seldarine, ringing true in our hearts.

Styvn: *very low voice, almost a whisper* I would like to have seen those times.

Elisara: * although the spirit of Elisara is a vague spectre, more incorporeal than not, and the only thing to hint at her figure being the golden light, Styvn nonetheless sees the spirit is touching the sword with great affection, even if melancholically so * We never knew what caused the Great Evil to erupt from the bowels of the earth. Once I thought it was the bickering of the gods that had awakened it, but who can know these things for certain. All I know, one day, the woods darkened...

Styvn: *eyes the sword nervously* Is it possible to redeem the sword, Queen Elisara? Can the evil be driven from it? It takes a terrible toll on any who carry it, and I would not have another of my brethren bear this burden.

Elisara: Perhaps, child. But you must understand that which you seek to redeem.

Styvn: Aye. I do seek that. To understand it.

Elisara: When the Great Evil, born into our world by means of dark crystals, had all but consumed our people in its fires, the heavens parted. And from the parted heavens, they came. Celestials. The children of Andarus. Together, elf and celestial stood side by side to oppose that which had but a single intention: to devour all life.

Styvn: *listens as she tells the story*

Elisara: Among our greatest champions were Kynnonen Faldric, Talyrenne, Syann, Ramyrileth and Zeraphil. It is the story of the latter you seek. He was a Bladedancer, an ancient warrior-poet of our people. None could match Zeraphil in the dance of steel, not even his much-ambitious protege, Syann, who sought to imitate his master. Not so strange, perhaps, that even to this day, those who hold Syann in high esteem, use the same curved blade as did Syann's master.

Styvn: *looks down at the sword and then back up at the spirit*

Elisara: But Syann's story you know. It is a sad tale, and much grief does it cause me. All our greatest heroes, their fables rendered into tragedies. So too was Zeraphil's. Zeraphil had the light, whimsical heart of a spring breeze. He was a poet, and much beauty did he see and find in this world. But none captivated his heart so much as Eteruna. My people -- your people -- called her Ny'ur. Hopebringer. She was the foremost of the celestial host. Their love? The Seldarine themselves, I think, wept at the beauty and purity of it. When Eteruna was felled in battle against the Great Evil, even death would not seperate her from her lover. Her spirit, anchored to Zeraphil's in eternal love, leapt into his blade so that the poet-warrior would never again be seperate from his love.

Styvn: *Styvn's eyes mist over a little*

Elisara: And so you see, child, the sword you carry is not just a sword. It is a legacy. A legacy of two people, the greatest of their kind, perpetually sworn to each other.

Styvn: But now there is another spirit in the blade. Something very evil lives in it with Nu'yr.

Elisara: On the eve before a great battle, one I was to lead myself, Zeraphil wished to spare his people by challenging the Great Evil alone. Or, not alone. With Eteruna by his side. They triumphed... * the latter is spoken not as jubilant exclamation. It is whispered with great sorrow * ... but when Zeraphil returned, he was not the same. His blade, the spirit of a celestial, had been plunged into a darkness it should never have tasted! I cannot fathom to speak a fitting metaphor. Perhaps it is the same as if one introduces a plague to a forest. It withers. It dies. For its purity cries at the outrage of it. Of Zeraphil, I know not what became. Later, much later, tales of a lone elf found their ways to my halls. An elf who kept misery, anguish and pain for company. And his sword. But his sword, and the elf, were forever changed.

Styvn: I must believe that he has passed, or the blade would not have left his possession.

Elisara: I think not. As long as one endures, so will the other. I understand the burden you carry, child. I can see how it drains you, even as you no longer hold it. And I am afriad that it will not lessen. For the blade seeks its master, its lover. Always, it seeks him. And he seeks her.

Styvn: Please, Elisara. Tell me what I must do. I fear if I carry the blade much longer, I will lose the light, and I cannot.... I WILL not, give it to any of my brethren to bear.

Elisara: To redeem the sword, child, you must not seek to cleanse its steel. You must look deeper. You must seek that which the sword truly is: the spirit of a celestial, now fallen. If only Andarus walked these lands, it would have been simpler. You must awaken Eteruna, somehow. It is *her* you need to bring back into the light, child. How, I do not have precise answers. Seek places of old; places that were once touched by her kind. Bring the sword, bring *her*, there.

Styvn: *eyes brighten a little* The ruined Celestial Temple? Is that where I should take it?

Elisara: It is a worthy place to try. If she does not respond there, then know there are even older sites. Far into the deserts you must venture. Deep into the sand you must burrow.

Styvn: The wastes.... *bends over and picks up the cursed blade, rewraps the blade in the silk dress and places it back in the box, then tucks the box behind him, under his cloak*

Elisara: Styvn. * in that one instance, Elisara's spirit is empowered with sufficient will for the queen to appear in stark detail -- magnificent beyond prose * May the Seldarine guide you. May they keep you safe.

Styvn: *swallows hard* I thank you for your wisdom, Queen Elisara.

Elisara: You are of *my* blood, of *their* blood. Long has evil sought to quell our people, and yet, after thousands of years, here you stand before me. Always, my child, where there is life, there is light.

Styvn: I only hope I can find the answers before......... *he trails off*

Elisara: And if you see Zeraphil, please understand he was not always as he may appear now. He is but a lost soul, condemned to an eternity of suffering.

Styvn: *nods in understanding*

Elisara: * having expended too much of what little sustains her spirit, the once-queen of old disperses into light *

Styvn: *bows as she disappears, and then sighs heavily* At least now I have some direction.

[ Edited 12:33:09 PM 03/27/17 ]

Styvn-elf, Tel'Varataurie. -Clickedy- (player loggin = Thranduil Greenleaf) -Clickedy-

Theven Nimblfingers-halfling, lock & trap master. (player loggin = Gregor Wyrmbane)

Rosco Underhill-halfling, "Underhill family" hit man. (player loggin = Gregor Wrymbane)[/color]

Kings are fools, and nations of men greater fools, to do the bidding of such men and be commanded by their pettiness.... and to die for their whims.
Traveler121
03:08:21 PM 04/04/17
Registered Member #23855

Soft light dapples the table, beneath leaves that play in the high canopy breezes, where for a moment the young elven woman sits silent with eyes that tell of an inward journey. She breaks the silence, where even birds have fallen to afternoon stillness, speaking only to herself.

What confluence of events weave now with my choices, into the larger tapestry where a relic of our people and an elven life hang in the balance?

Díheno nin Styvn! Díheno nin!

Forgive me!
She cried with passion.

A strong hand with calloused fingertips slaps the table.

You could not go, still wounded with knife and poison. And I could not stay! And I could not carry the sword into places where it would be taken if I fell, and used against us. There is so much we still do not know! But now your soft words of wonder unfold the story of Elisara's tale, bringing sorrow — and hope. Yet they entwine with other words that bring alarm – words not your own, as the sword that you never should have borne presses you to carry it longer. To wield it! Even as it drains away your life.

Her eyes flash as tenderness, concern and frustration alternate in a face that is usually serene; and she rises and paces, as only those closest to her have ever seen her do.

When we said we would share the burden so that no one elf would endure the whispers and taunts for long, I did not yet know the bruising strain it would impose, for I had carried it scarce two moons. Now, for all the reasons that have woven together, I watch the shadow in your eyes from the soul-twisting that our ancient relic works in you.

The pacing stops as she steels herself in decision, heedless of the beautiful dappled light that plays around her.

Abhorrent as is the thought of allowing another of our kindred to bear the blade, knowing we will lose you if we don't is worse. In battle we all take risk. This is a battle, and the wounded must let others work. Two of our own offer freely to bear it, seeing in our eyes what they will face. We will free you Styvn, and one of them will take it.

She pauses, shutting her eyes against the thought....

And I will beg his forgiveness too.

Thranduil Greenleaf
08:47:29 PM 04/05/17

Registered Member #1145
Three journeyed together to the ruined Celestial Temple seeking resolution to the ancient sword of Elisara. Kellenri, Elohiir, and Styvn. None was found there. Harpys were slain, and the ruins were searched. All that was found was an old tome outlining the code of ethics of those who follow Anduras. Styvn placed the book in the box with the sword, and the voices complained. Though it raised the volume of their never ending onslaught, still it brought a feint smile to the elfs' lips.

With disappointment for a companion, the three friends left the ruins behind. They decided to take the hidden path through the Grauer Passage on their way back to the Feywood. They avoided conflict with the unfriendly creatures that inhabit those woods, and came out through the thick brush in the Grauer Suden. It was at this point in the return journey that things began to take a dark turn. A freezing cold descended from the sky and blanketed the ground with a thick frost. The air was difficult to breathe, and the frigid temperature began to drain the life from their bodies. Kellenri and Styvn pulled heavy northland cloaks from their packs to help against the cold, but Elohiir was without aid and suffered grievously from it.

After only a few moments the three elves were beset upon by hostile apparitions. They appeared to be the curst elves from the ghostly tower that haunts the southern bog along the old road to Davenshire. They were many, and they attacked without warning. The elves fought them for a considerable time before they finally felled the last one. They had seemingly materialized out of the thick brush that lined the clearing, and then they simply stopped coming. While the elves were tending their wounds and trying to find something to warm Elohiirs' freezing body, Styvn noticed the presence of another nearby. He looked up and beheld a lone elf standing near the thicket from whence they had come before the battle. He stood there in silence, watching them. Styvn asked him who he was, what was his name. The elf seemed confused by the question, and then stated he could not remember it. As his gaze came back to Styvn, he became angry and accused the three companions of taking his love from him, and being agents of "the ancient enemy". After some conversation, it was determined that the elf who stood before them was none other than Zeraphil, the warrior poet of Elisaras' tale. He sensed the sword was in Styvn's possession, and demanded it be returned to him at once. The three companions tried to reason with Zeraphil that until the sword was purged of the dark soul that inhabited the blade alongside of his love, Eteruna, it would be folly for him to try and carry the sword again. They begged him to assist them in its' redemption, but madness overtook him and he attacked them.

Elisara's tale of Zeraphils skill with a blade had not been exaggerated. If anything, it had been understated. Elohiir stood at the forefront while Styvn and Kellenri fired volley after volley of arrows at the lone elf. At some point in the fight Styvns' acute hearing became aware of the presence of another who had come up behind them, and so it was here that Cael'Am joined the three elves and trained his own bow at Zeraphil. The four elves were being bested by Zeraphil's twin blades and Elohiir succumbed to the loss of blood from the mad Zeraphil's flashing swords and the relentless bite of the freezing cold. Elohiir fell to the ground unconscious and Zeraphil turned his attack on Styvn. As Styvn attempted to block and parry Zeraphil's attacks, he shouted to him that they were not his enemy and that they were only trying to help him be united with his love once again. A moment of lucidity seemed to come over Zeraphil and he ceased his attack and sunk to his knees. He bade the four companions to leave him before the madness overtook him again, and they brought Elohiir to his feet and left the warrior poet there crying frozen tears for his love, Eturuna.

Once they had left the Grauer Suden and were tending to their wounds in a warmer place, Cael'Am left them to travel his own way. It was then a new and so far unheard voice sang out from the ancient elven blade that Styvn carried. It was the voice of Eturuna, and as she sang a lamenting song to her love, Styvn was struck down by an invisible force of energy and he collapsed on the ground. Once the song had ended, Kellenri and Elohiir helped Styvn to his feet and they made the journey back to the Feywood. Styvn was severely weakened by the ordeal, and once again Kellenri beseeched him to relinquish the blade to another. Styvn declared that he would consider it, but not until they had at least journeyed to the wastes and tried to find help there for the redemption of the sword and Eturuna. Kellenri begrudgingly agreed, and she and Elohiir left Styvn in the Feywood Stronghold to rest and recuperate.

Thranduil Greenleaf
09:00:36 PM 04/28/17

Registered Member #1145
Though she had agreed, there was a glance exchanged between her and Elohiir. Weakened though he was, Styvn's sharp eyes caught the meaning in it. He knew what they were considering. That they would try to subdue him and take the relic from him by force was only a matter of time. He was not ready to place that burden on another. Not yet.

So he packed up his bedroll and his personal belongings and slipped away to the Woods Beyond. He was confident they could not follow him there. Very few could find the hidden paths that led to the land of the Fey. He had not counted on the intervention of the Forest Queen. Though Kell was neither druid or ranger, she wore leathers that Styvn had crafted and prayed to Mielikki to bless. It had created a special bond between Kell and the Forest Queen. Kell prayed for help, and Mielikki answered.

Kellenri: There! Someone camps here! And has fled. He heard me.

Styvn: *appears out of the shadows* You are alone. Good.

Kellenri: *startles* Styvn!

Styvn: *smiles* Vedui. *removes his helm*

Kellenri: Vedui Styvn. You did not return. And I feared for you.

Styvn: *sighs* I am sorry if I caused you undo concern.

Kellenri: I knew that if you were troubled, you would come here. This spot especially is beautiful.

Styvn: Aye. It is.

Styvn: How did you find a path?

Kellenri: The Forest Queen who once blessed this armor you gave me, blesses my search. It has never been permitted
before.

Styvn: *slight smile* Ah... I see. In that case, I cannot be unhappy about it.

Kellenri: Why do you tarry here? It grows darker on your mind, does it not?

Styvn: *tilts his head* My dearest friend...... think you not that I saw the look you exchanged with Elohiir when the two
of you carried me back to the Feywood? I am weak, but my eyes are still blessed. I see things that others do not.

Kellenri: Does it matter? It is time. I who have born this terror --- must have faith that another one of our strongest
could carry it, so that no one elf be lost to it.

Styvn: *stern look crosses his face* "I" will decide when it is time. And I will carry it to the wastes before I will give it up.

Kellenri: Mellonamin.... dearest Styvn, you do not sound like you.

Styvn: *sighs again* I know. But I still hold enough light to do what must be done

Kellenri: Aeryth's gems, did she get them to you? Do they aid you?

Styvn: Aye. it is thanks to her gems that I can still control my own actions. They have been most helpful.

Kellenri: When I camped in the cave in the Moribund Bog, I thought I was lost. It was the bleakest time I have known,
save one.

Styvn: *nods, remembering*

Kellenri: Will you not return with me, and we will seek the wastes together?

Styvn: *shakes his head slowly* I think not, dear Kell.

Kellenri: What is it you fear of that?

Styvn: My concern is that my closest friends are so worried for me that they may try to take this thing from me by
force. I bid you gather what aid you can, and I will meet you there.

Kellenri: What has the relic done to you that you shun the company of your friends on the journey? If you think to
evade us..... *softly* My heart is tied to you, and Aniril can find you.

Styvn: Ani can find me when I let him. No one can find me when I wish not to be found.

Kellenri: *gazes at him for a long, long time.*

Kellenri: It is not you, but the relic that wishes to journey without those who would aid you.

Styvn: I would consider making the journey with you all on one condition. I will have oaths from each of you that you
will not try to take this evil thing from me unless we fail in the wastes. If that is the results of our journey
there, then there will be no need to take it. I will give it up freely.

Styvn: *bends down and stokes the fire*

Kellenri: I will not swear an oath that would make me watch you be devoured by it. But I will not try to take it from
you unless it is clear that that will happen.

Styvn: You have heard my condition. It is not negotiable. Tell the others, and see what they say.

Kellenri: In the end I gave it up and it was not taken by force. I cannot know what damage it would do to try to.
*gazes into his eyes, hearing the song that runs between them*

Styvn: I have a new fear of letting another take this thing now. Not only do I worry about what the relic will do to
them, I worry about what may happen when Zeraphil comes looking for it again.

Kellenri: What happened there? Was it he that struck strength from you in that encounter?

Styvn: *shakes his head* No. Not in the manner you think. My heart weeps for him, because I know his pain. But it
was his love's song that nearly did me in.

Kellenri: Was she using your life force to try to escape?

Styvn: I know not. It may be that was what happened. I only know that she is as desperate as he to be reunited with him.

Kellenri: That gives me hope. But it will not happen at the price of your life. Or your soul.

Styvn: *slight smile* I would not see that happen, either.

Kellenri: You should trust in our wisdom and our aid Styvn. That you will not -- is not like you. It is the relic.

Styvn: *chuckles* I "do" trust you, Kellenri. That is why I came here. *smiles*

Kellenri: We will meet you at the temple in the wastes, and if we must then seek further, we will. Together. For out
there, we must. And we will need your aid too.

Styvn: *nods* Aye. We will need each other, and make no mistake.

Kellenri: *softens*

Kellenri: You knew I would look here first.

Styvn: *nods* I did. I am glad you decided to come alone, for if you had not..... we would not be having this
conversation.

Kellenri: Very well. We will not be far behind you Styvn. You are not alone.

Kellenri: I sent word to Ani, but he has not returned to see my missive.

Styvn: *nods*

Styvn: *he reaches out to touch her cheek, softly, and his hand is ice cold*

Kellenri: *startles, and her eyes mist a little* Styvn.....

Styvn: May the stars light your path, and Mielikki watch over you.

Kellenri: May Mielikki guard you until we meet again. May the Stars shine upon your road.

Styvn: *smiles* Aye.

Styvn: *turns, and as he walks away he fades into shadow*

*edit for spelling*

[ Edited 09:07:27 PM 04/28/17 ]

Traveler121
10:12:30 AM 05/02/17
Registered Member #23855
Styvn had fled, she thought she knew where. Softly she padded though the woods, to the place of the ancient gateway. All those who might guide her passage there wandered on other errands, and fine tuned though her senses were, she could not fathom the fey song that would let her through. Almost..... but nay. On her knees she prayed.

"Forest Queen, you walk with me always and now you know my need. One of your own is beyond the green veil and I seek to aid him. Will you guide me into the sacred grove?" She waited in reverence. Only the most subtle shift of light said that her prayer was answered. Now! She stepped into the glow and was beyond time as it flowed on Thain.

The play of the fey with their iridescent wings, and the delicate song she heard in her mind would have distracted her at any other time. Now, walking in a methodical pattern she bent often, scanning the ground for signs of elven feet. A glow called her, and she found his camp, newly empty. "Styvn?"

[ image disabled ]

A shift in the shadows. "It is good you came alone."

[ image disabled ]

She could not persuade him to come with her. Neither could she tell what part of his reluctance was his own, and what part came from the Relic to isolate him, as she watched his eyes gravely.

Dawn came as they spoke, and the fey danced around them. In a truce, they agreed on next steps, and he touched her face, in his old manner, as she withdrew. His hand was ice cold... and it made her eyes mist.

"...may the Stars shine upon your road."

Traveler121
01:28:35 AM 05/09/17
Registered Member #23855
When Styvn went west they could not follow for some days. With the Keepers and others Kellenri and elven allies were pushed to a hard resistance at Feywood, and on the road to Hamley against a new wave of mercenaries come to the isle. In that time Cildir returned from his journeys. Never was he more welcome, she thought. Eluvial joined them then, another welcome one.

Together the three tracked after Styvn along the western roads, and it was clear from the start that the forces within and around the sword were agitated. Near the recondite ruins a snowflake settled on Cildir's cloak, then another. Soon they were calf deep in snow, fighting skirmishes and leaving blood trails for any to follow. Aniril had no trouble finding them. Kellenri shivered and hugged her aching side as they went forward, and Ani took the lead, tracking for them.

They trekked through alternating snow and warmth, as Zeraphil's cold mood played with a world he no longer fully walked in. ..... And all through the journey first Kellenri, then Cildir, and each elf in turn heard the unearthly call of their names, and the lamenting cries of the Celestial in the sword. "I hope we will free her, and Styvn at the same time", Kellenri said to them all. Aniril followed the trail over the Drakemyre Bridge as they fought howling gale winds. Below it was a world of ice.

[ image disabled ]

They were haunted throughout the journey by beautiful, ethereal visions of Eteruna before them.... trying to call their names, as she strained to be free of the sword, and to reach her now-corrupted love. "If anyone could heal Zeraphil, it would be her...... Not far now...." thought Kell, as they made their way into the Wastes. It was then that Styvn stepped from a shadow to say to say, "The way is barred. I cannot fight so many alone." At least they had found him.

After a short rest they journeyed, and near the cliff gap that lead to the temple, elves from from another time materialized around them:

"The fiends of the Soul Razor will not prevail..."

The Soul Razor... AZUUL! His was the song of terrible discord that Kellenri had endured for long. So she had told Styvn many months ago, and now her certainty was confirmed.

The Queen, Zeraphil, Kynnonen and Syann will lead us to victory... The ghostly figures walked into the distance.

Then strangest of all was a battle that was not their own. "What was that?!" Kell wondered, as a shimmer caught her eye. For a moment an apparition of a brilliant celestial woman flew above them, sword raised to the call, "ANDAURUS!", and they watched in sad fascination as a scene from the past unfolded on the sands before them.... their kindred from long ago, fighting the denizens of hell in the echoes of an ancient struggle. It was not a silent thing – the clamor of battle reached their ears and the screams of wounded elves hung over the sands. There was nothing they could do to aid them, and in time the vision faded as it had come.

[ image disabled ]

Then came more bitter, bitter cold. Even the usually scorching wastes felt Zeraphil's touch, as they trod in new fallen snow above the sands. They walked warily, and nearer the temple a fierce rush of attackers found them ready. Even so it was a hard fight and Eluvial nearly fell there. Kellenri called him to return with a scroll from a priest, and then prodded them to finish the journey..... the temple was so close.

Together they stepped up the ramp on ancient stones and the beautiful celestial was before them, but tenuous, even in the power of that place. Eluvial drew power for her, eyes closed and hands raised as he helped anchor the energies that kept her before them.

"Eteruna...." said Kell reverently, "How do we free you.... and the ancient blade?"

It was only when Styvn opened the box and laid the blade before her that her form grew more solid.

"How do we free you, or rid this blade of the cursed soul that is in it with you? he asked. We would see you reunited with Zeraphil, but we must first rid the blade of it's taint."

You do this knowing it may claim you? All of you?....

No elf flinched. Not one. Words and eyes told of unwavering intention, as the elves stood resolute before her.

[ image disabled ]

"I see, in you, in all of you, my once-love; his strength, his compassion and his undying fealty. Even now, so far removed from the Source that once made him beautiful, he remains true. At least in his own way. I weep to know my blade has found purchase in the hands of elf-kind. I weep with regret that it may claim you; and I weep with hope that those that now hold me -- you -- may undo the curse.
For I think not anyone else could."

She spoke then of the one who held her captive, and how her freedom might be bought.... and Kellenri shuddered at her memory of the sword's terrible bleakness when Styvn said Azuul's name.

Eluvial strained to achor the energies, but his spell broke at last; his strength spent. Eteruna's form thinned, and there were gaps in her words.

"No! Don't Go!" Called Styvn.

She faded from them.

Find... scroll... power to open... Great Salian... hid... hid... hid it... find... Salian... maze....

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top