| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Jandari
09:20:06 AM 07/18/19
I hope they don't screw it up.

Vaeltava
06:10:35 PM 07/17/19
Well, that's some news, Jandari.

Jandari
03:46:49 PM 07/17/19

wisdombeyondages
03:09:14 PM 07/17/19
Its part of why so many dont post much. I am 10-12 hours behind on posts.

scratch_flannigan
02:48:12 PM 07/17/19
Good to see you back, Zhymm !

Jandari
01:02:18 PM 07/17/19
I feel your pain, Zhymm.

Zhymm
11:39:30 AM 07/17/19
Decided to drop in, started going through all the forum posts, mainly IC stuff, since my last visit. Whew, that was a lot of reading. Well, more like 'skimming' than reading. I think I'm caught up on events since my last visit months ago. How do you folks generate so much content so quickly? It takes my hours just to create and compose a 'short' IC post.

Daenre
09:45:30 PM 07/15/19
hey all been a long time since I poked my head in, still haven't gotten round to getting the remaster of nwn, but I miss this place terribly. one day I'll get the upgrade xD hope you all are having fun and are still making some awesome stories together

Falkala
02:04:51 PM 07/15/19
-Clickedy- Thain Patreon is up, for those who would like to help us with the server costs.

Jandari
10:51:59 AM 07/15/19

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Snaedottir's Saga
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Dogbert, Inq_Damocles, Falkala, Payne, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Traveler121
11:35:19 AM 10/24/15
Registered Member #23855
[ image disabled ]

A Saga is a tale.
When one begins a journey, there is no surety of where it will lead.

How many months now since her father had turned her loose with the sword she begged of him, with a knowing smirk as if he would look for her at the door of their small, cold cottage before three suns were gone.

“When you get tired of the road, there will be mead in the jar, and venison in the pot. If you stay north, you'll need the big sleeping fur. I will get another. If you go south, they say it rains all the time there.” With a knowing nod he turned, and did not watch as she made her way from the door of the house to the village gates. Fathers after all were fathers.

Leaving behind the small village that was all the world she knew, she traveled water roads to the landing south of the elf-woods, to learn if the rumors that made their way into the into the fire talk were true.

[ Edited 05:49:08 PM 05/03/16 ]

Kellenri - Elven Archer, Tel'Varataurie, Weaver of Words. (Portrait) Kell Scribbles From the Journal There's No Business Like Gnoll Business Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves Weave, Source and Tainted Song
Icehelm - Northern Sword-Swinger "Live with Abandon!" Snaedottir's Saga
Gaelrien - Deep Woodland Spiritwalker Way of the Earth Servant - Lema en i'Ceventaur

Winner 2014 "Best Party (Group/gameplay RP): Maxim, Kellenri, Stroth and Merum"
Winner 2015 "Best Heroine: Kellenri" * "Best RPer" * "Best Forum Storyteller"
Winner 2016 "Best Forum Storyteller" * "Best Player-run Plot, Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves - with Corlupi"

Traveler121
07:57:59 PM 10/30/15
Registered Member #23855

Small jobs bought food and a bed at the inn where the four roads met. The first was unexpected, “Bring me a badger's heart.” The story he gave for wanting it was unlikely, but useless she would be if she could not dress game. Getting the man his heart was not hard. Next she learned to fight kobolds and goblins, for Thain's center was riddled with holes and tunnels, and there the creatures dwelt – those rumors at least were true. And they stole things. She was sent to retrieve a thing — that was when she learned that more than Donale's seeing-glass lay in chests beneath the hills.

Slowly at first, then faster, as her sword work became more sure, there were gold, rings, potions and bandages to be had in small caches guarded by kobolds and goblin folk — there was more gold in the caves of Thain than in her whole village. She quickly stowed enough to buy a fine cloak and better potions. Well it was, for a misjudgment nearly cost her her life, when goblins poured from a cave in numbers, and she was surrounded. Drinking the last of her healing brews, she stumbled to the road and was found by armed travelers, who plied her with more brews and sang songs to their gods for healing. She was not raven-food that day.

At the inn the fire too gave healing, and she entertained thoughts of fate, and chance and luck. What part of that was gods-granted, and what part did she make, herself? No matter. Life was the greatest gift of the gods — to be lived deeply, with passion. And they frowned on those who wasted their gifts.

[minor word edit]

[ Edited 01:40:50 AM 11/05/15 ]

Kellenri - Elven Archer, Tel'Varataurie, Weaver of Words. (Portrait) Kell Scribbles From the Journal There's No Business Like Gnoll Business Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves Weave, Source and Tainted Song
Gaelrien - Deep Woodland Spiritwalker Way of the Earth Servant - Lema en i'Ceventaur

Winner 2016 "Best Forum Storyteller" * "Best Player-run Plot, Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves - with Corlupi"

Traveler121
09:38:03 AM 11/01/15
Registered Member #23855

The Crossroads

Strangest of all was the inn and fire at the road-meet. The folk on the southern roads were more peculiar far than the travelers that wandered into the northern inn. And there were huge creatures – with wings – some forbidding; some with a better manner. And the man with the beguiling voice and his Fey keeper; elves, always a mystery to her; hin, including the quiet but formidable Corollaria; and dwarves. There was a kinship with the stone brothers, for they too loved the fight, and weathered the mountain cold better than the tiny hin, or delicate elves. Ifor at least would be good company.

And that one, the human.... she had seen him in the village, but it took a journey south to learn his name. In a place so small, how had they never shared a bench at the ale table while the searing ice-wind howled outside the door? It is easy to stay in the boundaries of one's little world. That is why she had turned her back and walked from her Father's door, past the white wolves to the waiting ship. Thaedon he called himself, and he was hardy and not afraid of the chance of pain if there was honor in the fight, or gold to be fairly won. He made short work of foes with that spear he carried, and did not conceal coin when he counted it. They took to traveling together, hiring their swords, and learning more of the isle beyond the land of giants and wolves.

There were leering ones too; fighters and dark eyed casters who watched her as she walked across the field, sometimes calculating, sometimes with eyes hungry in faces that betrayed nothing else. She took to putting a chair under the knob of the door of her tiny room. At least twice it was well she did.

And as she came to trust him, sometimes she shared a room with Thaedon, when coin was short or the leering ones followed her into the inn, and watched as she sipped her ale. She did not make him sleep on the floor, for the blankets were few enough, and it was cold and damp, and the little rooms had no fireplaces. But her sword was between them, and she dared him with her eyes to lift a hand beyond it's line.

Traveler121
01:34:04 PM 11/10/15
Registered Member #23855

“Barbarian” some called her. Untutored, from a family that spent as much time in the woods as they did in their fired clay-walled house in Nordenborg, she could withstand punishing cold and dismiss pain until the fighting was done. Did they whisper that because she laughed as she slew the yet small foes she had come south to learn of – creatures that assailed this troubled isle? Or was it because of the battle-rage that could take her if she was cornered, where not caution or anything else mattered, as she screamed at her foe and wielded her sword in fury until the wreckage of the one she fought lay before her? Some were drawn by her rustic beauty; and some who saw her ferocity did not hunt with her again. Except for Thaedon.

The spear man too, was shaped by the jagged harshness of the north – and it's weather. Not given to the rages that occasionally twisted Icehelm's temper, his disposition was cooler; and he took her battle-fury in in stride, so long as it was turned against their common foe, and not at him. And he too laughed with the joy of battle, as they slew Thain's foes, in the hills.

In good company then, they tracked among the mountains south of the crossroads and near the eastern port, searching their secrets. There they found worthy foes the in the creatures that troubled travelers near the road, and had gold-luck too. Their purses grew fatter as they took again from the creatures what they had hoarded from the unsuspecting who lingered near their lairs.

Afterward, there were folk by the fire where the roads met. Some were strange, some entertaining; and the island lager was good enough.

Traveler121
11:56:33 AM 11/15/15
Registered Member #23855

Swords

The simple dream should not trouble her. She pushed it away; but if the day was hard and she was tired, it returned. An impression of a sword – that was all. When she woke she was not even sure what it looked like, but it left her uneasy, strangely fearing for her freedom. And clung to her memory as she fought in the hills.

There she was often content to be alone, and grew stronger making sword-food of the goblins that plagued the northern road. Then she wandered further afield, poking just inside the dark places in Thain's belly, where it was always uncertain what would be hiding. Again she found more than she expected, and learned that she was not yet ready to cut down the ogres that lurked with the goblins in their caves. Clinging to life she stumbled to daylight, to collapse in the miner's hut and struggle her armor off, gasping, as battle-fury faded. She forced herself through the task of cleaning the dirty wounds, drank her last healing drink, and used her bandages to pull them closed. No matter. The ride to the Trade ripped them open again.

After sleep, red meat and healing roots made a late breakfast by morning fire at the Trade, when the one called Tanith came to sit. Which it was she noticed first – the man or his armor – she did not know. His plate was of shining gold and silver, polished and fine, and the fire-haired man was no less beautiful. Staying her woman's responses to such beauty in a person, she lingered to hear of him, for he wore the gods' grace like a cloak. Sune, he worshiped, and that name she knew from Nordenborg, for in a place so bleak and frozen, a goddess of love and beauty was welcome.

In the next days they spoke together of small things, and once fought creatures that troubled travelers in the hills. On such a day, as they spoke of his goddess, Tanith drew his sword for her view more closely. It was a fine blade, with an aura of blessing or magecraft. Power flowed from hilt to edge, that she could feel as he held it. It did not trouble her spirit, and was not the sword of her dream.

“This was my sword,” he said. Can you use it?”

Bewildered silence. She searched his face with her eyes, and took the sword from his hand to feel it's strength.

“What will you use?”

He drew another sword, it's ruby blade alight with radiance, something gods-granted. Surprised, she took her eyes from sword to sword. It was clear he would need no other.

“What do you ask for this, if I take it?”

“That you aid the people of Thain as you can, and seek to bring beauty by ridding Thain of it's foes.”

“It is in my mind that I do that anyway, since I traveled south of the Northlands Road. But not through any special goodness. My own skin is at stake, and I live on this isle, and it's foes are my own.”

Young and proud, she did not wish to take what she had not earned herself. But this was a paladin's sword, and to turn it away would be to turn away the luck that had followed her from her father's hearth. She could not refuse the gift. At last she nodded, and donned the shield and amulet that came with it.

“Thank you Paladin of Sune. I hope to see you more, for this is a great gift and the charge that goes with it is something I can do. It time, maybe we will stand side by side against your foes, if my battle skills become as sharp as this sword.”

Turning she left to reflect on this new thing – and did not mention her dream to Tanith.

[Title change; correct quote; word edit]

[ Edited 12:15:24 PM 12/22/15 ]

Traveler121
12:04:45 PM 11/18/15
Registered Member #23855

Rock and Fire

Satisfying – the sound as her sword bit hard flesh, and it fell, like the others. Thaedon fared as well, and the ground trembled as two lifeless hulks hit the rock floor of the cave. But where was the sneaky one who tagged along with them, darting from one massive carcass to the other, while she and Thae fought each new giant around the next corner, and the next? It was true he played some part in the kills, but he spent more time gleaning, while she and her sword-brother bore the brunt of the fight. Not that they minded it much. They laughed as they slew, and weapon dew spattered the ground.

There was gold-take and sometimes gems when the giants fell, as they fought their way to the lair, and through it. Coming to a door that might have led to yet another stone room, they stepped into open woods, with a narrow tower in view. It was a strange place for a tower, and eerie stillness gave warning as they looked at each other across their weapons.

The hour was late, and the young sneak was untested in close fight – but too late. That one was through the door, talking to an irate gnome on the dais in a great square room, bare of else, save a huge red beast. A flurry of words, and the enraged gnome chanted foreign things so that magic and fire filled the air as both creatures came against them.

They held out longer than she ever would have expected, and the little sneak fell first. Back to back with Thaedon she fought as another red one arrived, until fire surrounded them and they were swept apart, weakening their defense. Then he fell, and rage took her as she cut the fiery thing before her with the paladin's sword.

In her mind she knew she would not have this fight, as fire exploded from the mage and his guardians. What of the gods who had given her this sword. Would they see her spirit as it sped from the middle world?

Long black. Awareness that time had passed and she was not where she remembered, but the fire was gone, and there was breathtaking pain. But she did breathe, barely. “So this is what it is like… The afterhalls are darkness. There are no gods." More black. Then a thought so tenuous it nearly fluttered from her. She forced an eye open to soft light, and rune engraved boulder above her.... “I know this place” dimly the sound of water tugged at her mind. Rolling over she saw Thaedon dead beside her, and wondered a fleeting moment of the redemption she knew had come to her.

No, not dead. He too opened an eye, then another, and in time they fumbled bottles from their gear, and learned that with priest's healing there were not scars. Finding the gods had not abandoned them after all, they made an unsteady path to the fire at the Trade where some sat, and there learned what they had fought. Eyes met in silent agreement; they would return in time. But for now it was enough to know the rumors were true, and they had fought demons.

[ Edited 09:32:11 AM 12/19/15 ]

Traveler121
06:51:25 PM 12/02/15
Registered Member #23855

Inroads

The stuff of tales crawled in the caves and hills of the island, while common folk hid behind high walls and the iron teeth of soldiers. At some point this became her new knowing, and she was not surprised, anymore. As in the north, strangers lived in pretense of peace behind walls by not remembering what was outside them. But her wariness of walls was greater than of the creatures that fell before her sword, and so it was with Thaedon, quick with spear to fell the foe. They routed trolls from caves and killed the spiders near Hamley. And returned to the giants where she led as they waded in laughing as those fell before spear and sword. No one ever accused her of having great wisdom.

There were small jobs too, and she learned of places where the air was strange, and tainted from the red rift stones that poisoned animals and made one weak. Sometimes Arnbjorn, Bor'el, Janea and others stood with them in tasks too dangerous for two alone. And she learned that Thain harbored dragons, but approaching them did not go well. If not for Thaedon, it was likely that none, even the heroes that had led them, would have returned, unless the great the rune stones called them, sick and crippled, from gods-grasp. For when all lay soulless on the seabed, he prevailed long enough to read priest-words inside the magic airspace he walked in; so everyone escaped.

As the road from her cold cottage grew longer, she thought that not living was more to be feared than dying. What had she said to Tanith at the fire on a warm afternoon? “The pleasure of food, ale and good company should not be put off until another day! We may die tomorrow.” That was the way of life on Thain, outside the walls.

But ale no longer pushed away dreams of a sword, now shining. First, Thaedon she told, for he was her partner now, and would laugh and make her feel easier. So he did, but not about her dream. At his questions, she dismissed her words, and again they hunted without burden.

In time, she found Tanith by the fire, and took her words to him. His beauty drew her, and also his kindness, and she called on his knowing for this thing, new in her life. They took their talk inside, away from ears at the fire, and he asked questions, and said words that troubled her. Shaking her head she set them aside. Perhaps he would be wrong.

Traveler121
10:22:01 PM 12/20/15
Registered Member #23855

Giants

“If you do the gods' bidding, how is there freedom in that?”

She pushed the thought away, finding the ale pot better company. At least it was familiar; so was the fur she wrapped on her skin to stave off the the cold rain. Ya, it rained all the time. If she wore her shiny new-found armor, water dripped down her front, chafing and itchy, and a thicker gambeson was no help. Metal did not breathe as skins and cloth did. Her hood and cowl stopped the drip, but then it was harder to see the road, or anything else that mattered.

A journey that started with a sleeping fur, sword and a few coppers had followed the Norn's call to accept sword and shield from the hand of a holy man, then on to learn that things she thought were child's tales were true. Of finest make, the sword knew its job, yet – “What of freedom?” the thought came again, and she again she pushed it away.

Her wyrd had led her with Thaedon to giants in caves with black rocks that took the power from her healing drinks, or to the slopes of Hammersong where they wandered the dwarven mountain trails, and ventured at last back into the cave. The half orc in the woods near the crossroads sent them again and again to bring the head of each new giant chieftain or brute. So her muscles hardened, and she thought that felling them was a good thing. “Some day I will take myself to see the frost giants of the north,” she thought. “And if I fight them alone, that will be a worthy deed.”

But now giants that troubled the dwarf-mountains were a better match. On a day of cool air and rain, she made good sport with them, feeding them her sword blade. They traded hard blows until she was bruised and weakened, but a woman of the dragon kindred intervened.

“I thought you wanted for help.”

Who was this new one with wings and golden scales, that stepped so easily between her and the stone-skins?

Tarina she called herself, and together they felled the giants, laughing that the Norns wove their fates together for a time. She had an easy manner and a way with weapons that Icehelm found good. When they were done they rested, and talked of Tarina's cliffside home, and the bruising lessons of overconfidence. She liked this dragon-lady, though she did not understand her magic.

Coming through the cave to a door that was familiar, she saw the tower where she had fallen, not so long before. Ha! This was where the gnome dwelt with his fiery minions. Perhaps it was time to teach him a lesson, if Thaedon would lend weapon to the cause.

They found him on the trails when they returned, and together they spoke of the best way to approach the mage. Not knowing a better plan, they decided “hit hard” was the best tactic if they found him in a foul mood, and they chose what target each would take. His mood was no better, but this fight was different, for now they knew their foe. Thaedon pinned the crazy gnome to the ground, while the women stood against the balor's terror, and afterward they caught their breath, and were satisfied with their deeds.

Higher on the slopes they stopped to listen to the voice of wind on the craggy mountain, and found they still had blade-thirst, and needed some good way to spend it. First they taught wyverns not to sting them, and took their magical remains to aid themselves in the future. Then Tarina led them to the higher snows, where they laughed as they fought creatures like orcs who dwelt in the cold.

At last when that fortress was empty but for the dead, blood, and the sound of wind, the three wearied of their work, and turned to those places that were home. In the silence of after-battle Icehelm rested, and the ale pot and fur were comfort enough, until the memory of a dream image surfaced, and would not leave her thoughts.

[ Edited 12:20:01 PM 12/22/15 ]

Traveler121
11:24:20 AM 01/23/16
Registered Member #23855

Discontent

Mages were unruly. See how they slung their spells this way and that, always in the worst places, and with more force than was needed for the task at hand? And they had no honor! They called forth spells to take down foes she called as hers to fight – even when her sword work was not in doubt, or her life in danger. “Have they so little skill that they must display all of it at once?” She wondered. “Or do they fling such power about because they do not truly know how to manage it?” Ya, they could turn a fight when the outcome was uncertain, but she avoided the arcane ones when she could, for they brought chaos and uncertainty. And they made her uneasy.

Especially it troubled her when they cast their spells on her sword, for it was already blessed, and she did not know what would happen if the two forces would fight each other – their gods and hers. Her gods? She pushed that strange thought from he mind, for she held to none. But it did seem clear that arcane magics and those called with prayer were different, even when they did the same thing; and she did not want them fighting in her sword. Better was the company of others like herself, who found good use for arms and armor, and tolerated rather than encouraged those who plied their spells on anything that moved.

It was disturbing enough that things happened to her that she could not explain, without stray flows of magecraft whispering in the air. Once when Thaedon bled from the work of an orc-blade and she touched him to inspect the cut, it closed before them as they watched. She made certain the cave was empty, and that no one else had made that happen. Then turned to her pack where the bandages were stowed, and did not speak of it, and Thae was silenced by her confusion.

The days of rain and blood ran together as she walked Thain's middle with her friend, in a blur of spiders, giants and goblins – always those. Her sword arm grew stronger and her shield work better, and the nights were filled with laughter around the fire. Life was good with enough food, and a new fur to sleep under. But discontent grew, like wearing a jerkin that was too tight.

[ Edited 11:25:29 AM 01/23/16 ]

Traveler121
12:34:14 PM 01/26/16
Registered Member #23855

Freedom

More than her armor chafed her. She missed the northland trees that withstood harsh ice and snow, and stood up to both in defiance. And the self reliance of tanning a skin to clothe herself under vibrant sun, in cold places where all knew the worth of it's warmth.

Ha! Enough! Without warning her discontent burst. The folk of city and village here were soft and unresiliant. She was the wild one – who laughed at her foe as they fell, and weathered elements that made other folk run from life. In the space of a few days she cleaned caves of goblins, giants, orcs, and trolls, trusting her fiery rage at the creatures to guide her sword and strengthen her. And she would not sit caged any longer in this room with no windows!

Leaving a gem in Bence's hand, she took her few things from her room to a glade nearby, where owl and deer lived, and the animal sounds in the night were familiar. Smiling, she lay her sword to hand, listening to the scream of a cougar at some traveler or beast in the direction of the road.

In the morning there was one less wolf to trouble travelers, and she suppled it's hide, over the time of a quarter moon. Better than armor this was, to wear where people gathered to fire and food. She left her arms bare; it was too hot in the steamy center of Thain.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top