Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Ogreman007
12:55:50 AM 06/21/18
Dace send out apology letters for imploding everyone so often by accident. Sadly they were sent via PM from his I-phone, so all his victims received were blank messages and renewed feelings of hatred

Cain
11:40:27 PM 06/20/18
I wish I could leave work late, exhausted and hungry, long past closing time, like I used to do.

scratch_flannigan
11:30:04 PM 06/20/18
* wishes he got off work early enough to make it to more Necro Nights *

Cuchuwyn
05:09:35 PM 06/20/18
Necro Night V summary is up. I just edited the reminder post though so it won't show up in the "new" section.

Ramana Jala
04:16:15 PM 06/20/18
*bites* Okay, how do you know?

Thimns--
03:58:04 PM 06/20/18
Hao U noe?

Jandari
03:38:36 PM 06/20/18
Just do NOT send them from an iphone. Ask me how I know.

Jandari
03:38:21 PM 06/20/18
No...No we didn.t

Ramana Jala
03:35:37 PM 06/20/18
Did we ever figure out how to fix the blank PM bad copy/paste syndrome?

Vaedryan
09:25:35 AM 06/20/18
@izral: Do you have a moment to jump on Discord?

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Journal of Two Conjoined Lives
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Edrick, Squidget, Xerah, Bonesly, MadskillsMike, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Dogbert, Inq_Damocles, Falkala, jewwe, Tuckerr99, Raven1210, mylittlepwny, Gerbo, Pentan, Corlupi, ChaoticDrow, Thimns--
Author Post
Ramana Jala
07:09:09 AM 09/19/15

Registered Member #1033
Living Ramana's and Ranara's Life: Journal of Two Conjoined Lives, part 2 (continued from here)

[ Edited 09:11:26 PM 02/21/16 ]

Jalla Desat (née: dem Vald) - Half-Elf Druidess, Druid of The Source of All Life, soul-mate to Krin Desat, mother to their four children, Dame of Pack Far-Runner, Tel'Varataurie elder, Feywood Taur'ohtarie, Harper, mystic, healer, herbologist.
Wikia Bio Playlist

Ramana Domefarar - Elf Ranger, Estelglin of the Greenvale Estel Tirindor (she finally took a side). Publicly a Ranger, privately a Rogue Opportunist. A follower of Fenmarel Mestarine, the self-reliant Lone Wolf. Also a Sensate of Sharess, a pleasure and bliss junkie. And a well-armed goth groupie.
Wikia Bio Playlist Threads Journal of Two Conjoined Lives

Ranara Duauth - Elf Wizardess. A ‘shadowchild’, a being created by water and shadow, actually an alternating manifestation of Ramana. A follower of Prizimal (Keeper of the Balance of Light and Darkness), and in this universe is a friend to Wai’i’lani.
Wikia Bio Playlist Her complex story begins here: Her Shadow Self Current Events:Journal of Two Conjoined Lives

Ramana Jala
08:16:57 AM 09/19/15

Registered Member #1033

Talking amongst ourselves

Ramana sat and stared into the pool of water being replenished by the drip from the ceiling of the rustic Eeyrie basement cavern lodgings. It was more restful for her mind to contemplate the pool of water than to constantly have her attention distracted by the tenuous tendrils of shadow drifting by in most other places that she tried to rest her eyes. Nearby, her companion Dae lay resting, but the panther’s intelligent big black eyes alertly tracked Ramana’s every move in the dim room, which was lit only by a small brazier in the corner in which the fire had died down.

She watched the soothing undulations of the water, and felt like the liquid within her body was emulating the waves created by each drip. It would only make sense that the essence of the instinctive water elemental which she carried in her bloodstream, Oremaa [soul mirror], would resonate with any available water… ambient water which the elemental would capture to enlarge itself should it manifest. Just like the shadow energy in her head was resonant with other negativistic energies… enabling determination of which were of the identical energy signature as the dust in her forebrain, and which were not.

Other negative energy sources could resonate to amplify the effects of the planar dust that was sealed into her brain around the frontal lobe and optic nerves, effects such as involuntarily phasing her into the Shadow Plane. Or the interference could simply interrupt everything controlled by those brain areas… sense of ego, reason, emotions, vision, perception of reality, etc. Fortunately, at the moment it was in an ambient state of only affecting her sight.

After a reprieve of many years from living in a universe without a Shadow Plane, now back on Toril she had returned to living with the perception of the overlapping Shadow Plane of negative energy conglomerations, shadows like leeches supping at such pools, interwoven in with the distorted reflections and echoes of the things and beings in the Physical Plane. Sometimes she had even more interesting perceptions… or even hallucinations. The Celestial Crystal stone necklace which Rishkin had made for her could counter a lot of that, but it also was itself another effect fighting the other forces trying to balance within her, and such internal stress could tire her out considerably.

If her dear Crideas had not witnessed the manifestation of Ramana’s alternate persona --her ‘splinter twin’, as Rishkin had recently called Ranara-- and confirmed it to her, she might have thought that all her subjective experience of that Will and Voice in her head to be a riftstone hallucination, too.

Ramana directed her attention to the spot in her head where she thought of Ranara inhabiting, right under that scar on her forehead that would not completely heal, and addressed her… in Elvish, images, and with an emotional impact that she knew would be lost on her twin. “Two months? I was unmanifested for two months? In a dream state, inside your head, for two months?

The calm and impassively rational mental ‘voice’ of Ranara replied, “When we arrived, I was unexpectedly depleted of my magic, and it would have been extremely hazardous for you to manifest. The differences in the energy architecture of the two universes caused unforeseen debilitation. I could not sufficiently calculate all the finer ramifications of the addition of another vast coexistent plane of an energetic type not native to the other universe. Before our departure, the only objects of research which were available for my calculations concerning the effect of a Shadow Plane, had been yourself as one contaminated with such matter, and myself as a representative tiny sample of a Shadow energy planar bubble extruded from same, in that universe which has none. Both before and after transport, we did discuss every issue and development.

Ramana keenly felt her lack of control during that time critical to their survival, “You mean that after we arrived, you extracted pertinent information from my passive mind.

With the mental equivalent of a nod, Ranara simply replied, “I proceeded along the most responsible course of action available to our circumstance.

Ramana sighed, having decided to relinquish her frustrations about what she could not have controlled, and enumerate the positive. “I know you did. We arrived at the target universe… and world, down to the accuracy of the Island itself… a major accomplishment that I had not congratulated you upon, so I do so now. You stabilized your own matrix and safeguarded my essence. Then you found my friend the Archmagus and obtained his aid… to further safeguard me as you carefully made all the preparations to successfully provoke my manifestation… which was quite foresighted considering my ensuing confusion.” She paused her apology to interject, “Simply please, next time you choose a location for me, remember I breathe, even though you don’t.” Then she returned to her conciliatory tone. “We are both existent and both our body vehicles are adapting to this different universe. It feels like from this point that our alternations should be fairly normal. You have done well for us, sister. It was wrong of me to blame you, and I thank you for your every effort on our behalf.

The sentient cat had heard every mental word, as Ranara had repaired their telepathic group network to work here between the four of them (although Oremaa had no intellectual language and ‘spoke’ only in feelings and images). Dae was glad that her companions had re-harmonized. They had all landed on their feet again.

[ Edited 04:47:14 AM 09/25/15 ]

Jalla Desat (née: dem Vald) - Half-Elf Druidess, Druid of The Source of All Life, soul-mate to Krin Desat, mother to their four children, Dame of Pack Far-Runner, Tel'Varataurie elder, Feywood Taur'ohtarie, Harper, mystic, healer, herbologist.
Wikia Bio Playlist

Ramana Domefarar - Elf Ranger, Estelglin of the Greenvale Estel Tirindor (she finally took a side). Publicly a Ranger, privately a Rogue Opportunist. A follower of Fenmarel Mestarine, the self-reliant Lone Wolf. Also a Sensate of Sharess, a pleasure and bliss junkie. And a well-armed goth groupie.

Ranara Duauth - Elf Wizardess. A ‘shadowchild’, a being created by water and shadow, actually an alternating manifestation of Ramana. A follower of Prizimal (Keeper of the Balance of Light and Darkness), and in this universe is a friend to Wai’i’lani.
Wikia Bio Playlist Her complex story begins here: Her Shadow Self Current Events:Journal of Two Conjoined Lives

Ramana Jala
05:10:59 AM 09/25/15

Registered Member #1033

Stablization
part 1

Ramana relaxed on the settee in her new lover’s suite, wearing only an ice blue silk robe, her long raven hair down and spilling wavily all about her. She rested her gaze on the fire as she contemplated the events since coming back to Thain. The firelight was another restful place for her eyes where there weren’t any shadows… and in fact, staring at a fire was one of the mental controls that Ramana used for phasing back to the physical plane. Although in general, her lover’s uptown apartment was well-lit and clean of negative energies.

Right next to her lay the blindfold that she used for blind-fight practice, which could relieve her visual distractions not only in sword-fighting, but also of the meandering shadows… or in play. Their life-positive banquet had also rejuvenated and rebalanced her life-force, another help to diminish the shadow tapestry overlay. Along with it enabling her to release her usual hyper-awareness of her environment, their play dissipated her shadows as it dissipated her tensions from any lingering fears, uncertainties, or depression.

Koros was a handsome and sexy young man, with a pleasant balance of assertion and kindness. And those intense blue eyes. Cultivating a presence and eager to learn more. A man who could use his eyes to seduce and command was a supreme delight, a bottomless blue sea to fall into and willingly drown. She was eager to help guide him into his potential.

She thought that Koros looked exactly like a younger version of her old lover Karstrynn Darkmoon. Something she’d been meaning to ask him about… but whenever they were together, their attentions were always on other things, and they hadn’t yet gotten around to chatting that much. A human male, he was about fifty years younger than she was. But he hadn’t seemed to have noticed her age, passionate responsive little filly that she still was.

Their arrangement was in a trial period. They’d cursorily discussed their contract, but she hadn’t yet told him about her shadow affliction, her ‘sister’, or her sentient panther… nor her trip through planes, her fiancé in another universe, and all the other weird facts of her life. She was glad that Ranara was patient enough to promise to not spirit her away while she was with Koros. She hoped to avoid shocking him with suddenly going missing for days without explanation. And she knew she could count on Dae to act like a mere cat until the right time to spring all the oddities of her extended family upon her new friend.

With the prohibition against ‘wild’ animals roaming the streets, it was difficult to get Dae into the city, and so her overgrown housecat of a panther had been sleeping in Ranara’s room at the Watch. Ramana missed her prime cuddle-- the familiar comfort of Dae’s silky fur on her bare skin and the affectionate deep purr that would soothingly resonate through her like the distant rumble of thunder on a lovely rainy day. Not to mention that Dae was her best girlfriend and her confidante, an intelligent conversationalist even though the cat was not yet very experienced in the world of sentients to always be able to offer advice. Ramana would have to figure out a way to bring Dae to the apartment, yet be able to take her out for walkies a couple of times a day. Dae wouldn’t be happy to not be able to bunk down with Ramana, but maybe the bed might just be large enough for three when sleep-time came. At least Koros didn’t have wings… as when her dragon lord’s large wings had kept the cat from the bed, and Dae had continually sulked to not have her place cuddling up with her beloved Ramana.

As co-dependent beings, Ramana and Ranara were both beginning to stabilize now. It had been difficult for Ranara, who had manifested first, in a weakened state, drained of magical power, with watery blue skin and hair because of depletion of her negative energy element. Her looking like a Sea Elf would have been reinforced by her frequently standing in streams instinctively trying to satisfy her sense of depletion, but her thirst had actually been for negative energy. An expedition party to the Yuan-ti laboratories fortuitously provided her with a riftstone of her same energy signature, which she had drained of negative energy to feed her own shadow substance. After that replenishment, Ranara’s matrix rebalanced somewhat and she regained her ghostly shade appearance, for which she then had to endure the fear of the common folk. In their fear, hate, and non-understanding, they repelled her as violently as the Orcs had when they named her the Wraith Witch of K’Nort Scrar. In that case, she had been merely conducting magical experiments on expendable vermin Orc biologicals when they misunderstood her to be a shade and gave her presence their own meaning, as evidenced by that title they bestowed upon her, shouting amongst themselves about her being some kind of undead revenant Elf magess come to exact revenge. It was fortunate for Thain’s guards and villagers that Ranara was in control of herself, otherwise her raw self-preservation instinct might have already reacted to the assaults here upon herself and her panther companion with another unfortunate Massacre of Campton.

Their physical readjustments had also been a time of great stress, confusion, and depression for Ramana. Ramana had already been suffering from the emotional dis-ease of abandonment by her fiancé, Archmagus Crideas Bane, when Ranara had suggested the trip across the planes to further her research. Crideas was Ramana’s lover --and also Ranara’s mentor-- and if it had not been for fears that his enemies might target her, they would have already had a public marriage and she would be bearing his children. Contradictorily, Crideas’ fears would distance them, as he obsessed over the insoluble quandary of how to keep her safe from all of his enemies, so that they might dare to have such a life.

Ramana’s loneliness had put her into a state, and that relationship-rebound had influenced her to agree to Ranara’s planar experimentation. For everywhere that Ranara went, Ramana would have to go. When Ranara had offered that a suitable destination was Toril, it had just seemed at the very least like a nice vacation, maybe visit some old friends. Or…. since so many of the eras in her life were marked by the names of men…. had the Era of Crideas ended, and it was time to move on again?

Ramana had no idea when the return trip back to the Amethyst Universe could be made again, as it was all up to Ranara getting her magic power back up to par. Her dear Crideas would understand that Ramana’s intense needs would compel her to take a lover. Crideas and she had seen into each other’s soul… at least, she had seen all that he was except for one place that he kept locked away from her, which she understood to be the repository of horrors. She knew, that he knew, that she would not love him any less if she had to attend to her own needs in the meantime, while a planar castaway, so to speak. Though she could imagine that he wouldn’t be very pleased with Ranara’s part in persuading her to go. And when he finally awoke to the situation, he would likely blame himself.

The hard reality of being now an entire universe away from Crideas had only added to her emotional turmoil. Thus it was that immediately after her manifestation in Toril, Ramana had gone into an emotional crisis with depression over the loss of that ‘perfect situation’. The estrangement was experienced rather like an addictive withdrawal, quite likely exacerbated by the disorientation from her readjusting brain injury, evidenced by mental impairment, memory issues, and fatigue. It had taken some weeks until she had righted her mind and regained her joie de vivre. She credited her healing to the patience of a dear good friend to whom she could bare her soul, and some hard training at her old camp in the North, providing a combination of mental, emotional, and physical therapies to rehabilitate her. Now young Master Koros was providing the only remaining necessary therapies.

[ Edited 10:19:55 PM 07/15/16 ]

Wikia Bio Playlist

Ramana Jala
01:49:19 PM 09/26/15

Registered Member #1033

Stabilization
Part 2

Her life was in pieces, but she had reassembled what she needed, in pieces. Friendship, companionship, service, devotion, love, and sex, just not all focused upon one person, one man.

Her old friend Archmagus Rishkin, now a city Councilor, had just provided her with a focus of service, hiring her multitudinous skillset for various assignments, and she readily fell back into the role of retainer, a capacity in which she had been contracted to him during her previous sojourn in Thain. Back in Aenea, Retainer to Archmagus Crideas had been Ramana’s public status that had concealed her private one. It was a position that she very much enjoyed, exercising all her skills and ingenuity as a capable powerful agent, faithfully devoted to the service and protection of a worthy lord.

He also provided genteel companionship with a focus of deep thought, a gentleman philosopher who probed for truths. A mage who wanted to teach more important knowledges than magic. He had provided a sounding board for her physio-emotional tailspin, listening, accepting, giving her space to work herself out, and offering questions that illuminated. He had been kind to her, following his own maxim, “The only way to sort your own thoughts, is to do so without someone else telling you theirs.”

There was much alike between them, including a remarkable commonality in some unusual experiences. She felt quite much closer to him now, and was very grateful that she had such a good friend. She had developed very deep feelings for him and cared about him very much. And she was glad to see that he himself had found some stability in his life, with a public position of some influence, and a wife, to presumably bear him a legacy of children.

Yet she still found him fascinating, as she had years ago when their association had begun over chess. She remembered their first interview, when he had forthrightly and honestly answered all questions about himself, and then proved to be an excellent dancer. But their dance towards physical intimacy had been interrupted by a shadow… and now that he was married, that attraction would likely never attain to consummation… not to mention the intentions toward her of the shadow parasite which apparently he still carried. Her respect for his wishes meant that her affections for him could now only be expressed platonically. Even though she sometimes still dreamt of him, it seemed to her that it was becoming a pure love, a non-physical warm platonic love dependent simply upon the caring trust of true friendship.

She had briefly mentioned her new arrangement to him, concluding with, “So, I suppose I could sum it up that my glass is mostly full now.” That was in reference to what she’d said before about starting to feel hopeful from her glass being two-thirds full already, from having him as a good friend and an employer, and also having a cuddly comforting companion to sleep with, referring to her cat Dae, with the implication being that the remaining third part for happiness would be a playmate for bliss and pleasure.

He had responded, "And that is what you were seeking, yes?” Ramana had nodded in general affirmation, “At least… until love comes along with everything else.” Studying his face thoughtfully, contemplating the great depth of care and regard she had for him, she had added, “It's best to have one's intimacy with a beloved, of course. But this will do, for now.” The voice of her friend had conveyed a hopeful reassurance for her future greater happiness as he echoed, “For now.”

In life, one would always have voids to cross, and new circumstances to adapt to. Things would be lost… even such as a piece of one’s soul -- that might, or might not, find its way back home again. Things would be gained… be different, be workable, even be better… one only had to survive.

[ Edited 02:01:39 PM 09/26/15 ]

Wikia Bio Playlist

Ramana Jala
04:03:22 PM 10/04/15

Registered Member #1033

Levels of Trust
part 1

Venturing to tell Koros more about the oddities of her life and her family had gone amazingly well.

The conversation had begun with asking him whether he would mind if her cat, a house-trained panther, came to stay with her, with which he had no problem, only concern at how she might bring the cat through the city. That had segued to mentioning that her cat was presently staying with her sister at the Watch, as her sister had to stay there because she was so very different and odd-looking. He seemed sympathetic to the plight of those who didn’t look like everyone else.

Ramana vacillated on whether to tell him more right then. “I have many.... oddities.... with me and my family.... I'll have to tell you... more. Sometime. I hope it won’t be altogether too odd for you.” With a chuckle, he reassured her, “I can't think of anythin’ you could tell me that would be too odd.” Teasingly he asked, “Yer not a guy polymorphed, are ya?” She reassured him in turn, “No, I'm all female.” It seemed that as long as Ramana wasn’t a male in disguise, he was confident that whatever she might tell him wouldn’t change anything between them.

So she decided to tell him a bit more. He had proven himself responsible to and protective of her as his pet, so she decided to trust him with some more sensitive personal facts.

She pulled her hair back from her forehead and showed him the scar there, asking if he’d noticed it before, and he replied in the affirmative. She told him about her head injury by Illithids that had been contaminated with riftstone dust, which made her see the Shadow Plane, and see shadows all around that fed on negative energies radiating from people. Her shadow affliction also enabled her to disappear into that Plane at will. He had no problem with that, as he’d surely heard of other riftstone-affected and shadow-tainted persons.

She had ventured yet a bit more. That a few years back she’d fallen through a planar rift and landed in another universe far away from Toril. And that, while living there in that other universe, she was tampered with by a dragon sorcerer, who accidentally created another being out of the shadow plane dust in her head and a water elemental that she had in her blood. Surprisingly, he was merely sympathetic, “Sounds like you had a run of bad luck.”

She took a breath and told him that the created being was whom she called her ‘sister’, Ranara. He was still okay with that. But she hadn’t yet told him that the two of them were actually rather the same person.

Ramana had hesitated for a long moment at this next really hard part. But finally she decided to take the risk to trust him about the most sensitive secret of her ‘sister’ and herself. “She and I are joined... conjoined…. We alternate manifestation.” She went silent, hoping that this bizarre situation could somehow be all right with him. He repeated, “Alternate manifestation.” Pondering this for a moment, he then asked, “Does that mean she can take yer place?” She nodded in honest admission, “When she is, I am stored away. When I am, she is stored away.” She gestured to her head in the vicinity of the injury scar that she had previously pointed out to him.

He asked, “Am I gonna wake up with her in my bed one day?” She had to smile a bit at this, replying, “No... She will tend to manifest wherever she was last.” Then added, “But I will be folded up and be gone for the duration.” He took this in, then, “I see, does it happen anytime? Yer not gonna disappear when we're in tha middle of somethin’?" She reassured him, “I made her promise not to manifest without some warning. She has the greater will, so she could just take over, but she wouldn't. We have a harmonious relationship.”

He simply nodded to that, and took a moment to absorb it all. Then, “Well I admit that's pretty strange, darlin’, but nothin’ ta be afraid of tellin’ me. It doesn't change anythin’.” In great relief, she let out the breath that she’d been holding, relaxing her fear about his potential response to the whole weird scenario, “Good.”

Then, remarkably, he added, “I should meet her sometime, tho’, if she's a part of you, I'd like to know her.” Ramana was astonished that he had taken it so well. But then, Thain was full of strange things that he must have encountered. She nodded her ready agreement, “Great! I'm glad this is okay for you.” Throwing her arms around him in childlike gratitude, she kissed him and whispered in his ear, “You’re great. Thank you so much for understanding.”

The only odd thing left to tell him would be that her cat was sentient. But she might wait on that, until he got used to Dae being around, so as to not shock him if the thought occurred to him that Dae might be watching and listening just like a person whenever they were intimate. Ramana knew that her love life mattered little to the panther except for whether it made Ramana happy or not, and for whatever repercussion it had upon whether the cat could cuddle up for sleep with her beloved Elven companion. The cat shared the same openness of attitude about biological activities that the Elven race generally maintained, as Koros himself had even remarked upon, that Elves were not as ‘uptight’ about such things as other races. But maybe she should ask Dae to retire to another room until their festivities were over, at which time she could perhaps return to join Ramana in the bed.

Koros had accepted the weirdest part of her life, about Ranara, so there was plenty of time to work out the rest of the details.

[ Edited 04:25:07 PM 10/06/15 ]

Wikia Bio Playlist

Ramana Jala
04:23:38 PM 10/05/15

Registered Member #1033

Levels of Trust
part 2

The next day, Ramana needed to go scout the Bagnorn. In another test of the sturdiness of the Hamley stockade, orcs had recently made a bold incursion in penetrating a remote corner where the wood had rotted, managing to make a hole large enough to steal away some steers. As orcs were one of her specialties, she’d already been making the rounds of potential problem fronts, and so had been in the right place at the right time to obtain a commission from Captain Rothe to scout their numbers and positions, in advance of potential defensive culling. She had managed to convince him of not only her previous service to Hamley and her expertise in orcs, but also that even though she was an Elf, she wasn’t from the Feywood and so was an impartial party to the recent troubles between their burgs. Needing all the good help he could get, the Captain had agreed to hire her.

So she was already in her old leathers when Koros walked into the living room. He stopped her long enough to present her with a new set of leathers to protect her better. “Nothing is too good for you.” She mentioned that it had been years since she had been in the Bagnorn, and he offered to show her the way to help her mission. “Damn orcs arn't eatin’ my beef.” She told him that she hadn’t planned on encountering them, only reconnaissance. As he was a big bulky fellow in plate, it didn’t seem likely that he could be sneaky. But he said that he could still point her in the right direction, even if they didn’t venture far enough in to where they’d be in the thick of them. They would go just a little ways up the mountain, and he could have an opportunity to see her in action against whatever hostile creatures that they might encounter.

It all went smoothly, and it only took a few hours until they decided they’d gone far enough, and turned back. He suggested that they head towards the Watch for him to meet Ranara. On the way down the mountain, they chatted, and she felt so happy that she skipped and dodged around him playfully. He grinned at her antics and asked, “Are you happy, Ramana?” She exclaimed, “I am!” He was pleased, “That's good, I'm very happy with you.” It made her glad to hear him say so. And he complimented her on her skills, “Yer an excellent swordswoman and scout.”

She was indeed happy. Friends, work, ranging the open fresh air of the wilderness, it did her good, like being home again. This would do just fine, for now.

Wikia Bio Playlist

Ramana Jala
03:47:12 PM 10/06/15

Registered Member #1033

Levels of Trust
part 3

Ramana led Koros to the room in the basement cavern of Raven’s Eeyrie where both Ranara and their cat Dae had been staying, so as to be away from those who tended to shoot at odd-looking persons or large cats. When Ramana entered the room, Dae jumped to her feet, and Ramana and her panther friend rushed to each other, both overjoyed to be reunited. After a thorough ‘I missed you’ hug and ear scritching, Ramana stepped back to introduce them, “Koros, this is Dae. Dae, this is Koros. The gentleman I told you about.”

Koros grinned amiably at the cat, “Hey there, kitty.” He had removed his gauntlets, bent down, and offered his hand, speaking in a soothing tone, “Yer a beautiful kitty.” Dae moved to sniff his hand, looking him over with her big black intelligent eyes. Koros added, “Like yer friend here.” He glanced up at Ramana with a smile. The cat also glanced up at Ramana in apparent understanding. Koros proceeded to offer the cat an ear scritching, which she delightedly leaned into. Glancing back to Ramana as she enjoyed the friendly ministration, Dae communicated her approval of Koros through their telepathic-empathic link. Ramana smiled at the two, “She likes you.”

Koros replied with a grin, “She likes this, anyway,” as he continued to show the cat affection. Forgetting caution for a moment, the cat purred with pleasure, “Meowrr… Kho.... rowrs...” Koros gave the cat a quizzical look, but shook his head and continued the scritching, “She's big and beautiful, and her fur is like yer hair.” This still didn’t seem like the right time to fully explain that the cat had the mind of a person, so Ramana rushed to mitigate Dae’s lapse, “She's so smart. She understands Elven and Common, even.” With a smile he replied, “Well trained. Hard fer a cat, I hear.” She beamed proudly at Dae, and leaned in to give the cat a kiss on her furry head, “She's my best girlfriend…. Yes, she's very special.”

Koros liked cats, and said that Dae was welcome in his place. As the bed in his apartment was actually quite huge, he also didn’t have any problem with the large cat sleeping on the bed. Ramana could see that Dae was obviously very pleased to get her spot back. And perhaps Koros had intuited something about the cat with the big intelligent eyes, but he didn’t seem disturbed about it. He smiled warmly at Ramana and the cat expressing their obvious mutual affection, and he could see that, “She's a good friend.” She stroked the cat’s furry head with warm fondness, “Definitely.” Ramana was very happy that Koros seemed to understand how much Dae meant to her, and was accepting of another of her family.

The most important interview still loomed. After another moment, Ramana stood up, “Well, now you should probably meet my sister.” He nodded, “I’d like to.” Giving Dae one last pat, “Kitty, you just stay right there.” Ramana moved to stand separate from them, starting to mentally prepare herself. Koros inquired, about Ranara, “Does she know everything that's goin’ on with you?” Ramana answered, “She gives me a lot of privacy, but yes, she just has to look to see what's been happening with me.” Her merely nodded thoughtfully at that. Ramana closed her eyes, going inward, “I relinquish my will to yours.” She opened her eyes again just long enough to smile at him with the reassurance, “See you soon.” And then with a quick silent ripple of planar folding, Ramana vanished.

Wikia Bio Playlist

Ramana Jala
10:02:32 AM 10/21/15

Registered Member #1033

Levels of Trust
part 4

Ranara had been roused from her discarnate meditative state by Ramana’s request that she appear to speak with the human male Koros. Along with the usual request for her to be cordial, rather than dispassionately rational and ‘rudely’ analytical. In an instant, she reviewed Ramana’s recent memories to apprise her of the context for the upcoming conversation. Then at Ramana’s relinquishment of her will, Ranara asserted her own to manifest.

As Ranara was sufficiently replete with negative energy, she was constrained to manifest in her native shadowy appearance, a somewhat dramatic entrance. Thus already revealed, she saw no point to morphing into her less fear-inducing ‘aquatic’ appearance. So she stood there looking just like a Shade in the shape of an Elven female, albeit a somewhat watery vaporous one.

Even though he was likely uncertain about the shadowy form before him, the human bravely ventured, “Evenin’.” Not wishing to alarm him any further, Ranara did not move from where she had appeared, and simply replied, “Greetings, sir.” Looking at her, Koros muttered, as if to himself, “That’s pretty strange.” Then, “Ranara, right?” She nodded, “Do not be alarmed. I am Ranara Duauth.” Still looking her over, “I’m fine. I just thought we should talk.” She noted, “That is an intelligent response.” Then added reassurance, “A friend of my sister is a friend of mine, sir.” He smiled a bit, “Well, then, that’s a good start. When Ramana said you were tha dominant one, I thought we might have a problem.” He was obviously referring to comments made about Ranara having the greater will, so that she could force her manifestation if she so chose. She explained, “She and I have a cooperative relationship. You are making her life more pleasant, and are not a threat. There is therefore no issue.” Seeming to relax just a bit, he nodded, “That's good ta know.

Ramana had chosen to expose herself to this man, and with that, Ranara was exposed also. Ranara did not have control over her elder sister’s actions, possessing at most only an advisory capacity. Even though Ranara did not understand Ramana’s decision-making process, which apparently included some emotional perception or instinct, she was necessarily obliged to trust Ramana’s judgement, which historically had shown a reasonable degree of accuracy, insofar as Ranara could review. So the only logical course of action was that Ranara was necessarily obliged to trust anyone whom Ramana trusted, i.e., a friend of Ramana automatically had to be a friend of Ranara. As Ramana had chosen to trust this man, Ranara would fully cooperate in attempting to address any concerns he might have.

Ranara volunteered, “If you would like to know more about me, I am a wizardess.” Koros admitted, “I'm just tryin’ ta get my head around it, I'm not much fer magic ‘n spells. I mean I know how ta read tha symbols, but not much else.” She requested clarification, “Your head 'around' magic, you mean?” He shook his head, “Around you and Ramana, it's strange knowin’ yer inside there all tha time.” She understood, “Ah. Of course. Most of the time I retire to meditation, to allow her privacy. I do wish that it not discomfit you.” Koros asked, "And how much time do you get ta live out here?” With a small shrug, she answered, “I have time.... what time I have. I am patient.” Shaking his head again at the whole odd situation, “I'm just tryin’ ta understand.” She attempted to explain further, “There are many things to think on when I am unmanifest. It is, as I said, like a meditation. She has lately required much physical therapy, and more time than as had been usual.” He nodded, “So you don't mind bein’ ... unmanifest, you said?” Patiently, she replied, “It is the reality of what we are. To 'mind it' would be illogical, it simply is the way it is.” He seemed somewhat relieved, “I see, well I'm glad you don't have a problem with us. I was wonderin’ if we might be at odds.” She inquired, “What was your concern, specifically?” He answered, “I didn't have anythin’ specific, just if you had any issues with us, you could make things difficult.” She nodded, “Yes, I understand. That is why we must always maintain a cooperative relationship. To do otherwise would not only be inefficient, but problematic and difficult.” He seemed even more relieved, finally cracking a smile, “Right, good.

Ranara’s long time of unmanifestation had been necessary to give Ramana enough time to stabilize her physical and emotional parameters. Ranara herself had take two months to stabilize her own matrix, before the manifestation of Ramana had been safe to implement. Ranara had used her unmanifested time to think upon and formulate many things. She had thought much upon the relationships of the planes of this universe, and the repercussions upon both Ramana’s and her own body vehicle, and upon negative energies and shadow substances in general. She had also reoriented her understanding of crystals in light of these different energy conditions of this new universe. She had repaired the telepathy between the four of them, and then designed a telepathy crystal that allowed telepathy between their own private network and another, which she had prepared when last allowed manifestation. She had also instilled into it a rudimentary homeostatic interface to exclude negative energy transmission and shadow encroachment, mainly to protect Ramana. Ranara was very patient, and there was still much to occupy her mind, but she was intent to conduct further magical and energy experiments as soon as possible.

By the way, I know you are concerned that I have access to Ramana's memories... but I shall never divulge anything of confidence between you two. And any of your activities are of little matter to me.” Koros nodded appreciatively, “Well thanks, that's reassurin’, Ranara.

She then commended him, “You were wise to meet me; that shows intelligence, of which I am glad that you have in association with my sister. If I can assist you in any way, I am at your service. As I said, a friend of Ramana is a friend of mine.” Koros grinned, “Well there's lots that would argue with you about my intelligence. But I figured that since there's three of us involved in this, I best meet everyone.” Impassively, Ranara restated, “Yes, quite wise. Perhaps wisdom is the better word, then?” Koros chuckled at that, apparently finding her comment amusing, “That'll work, I guess.

Ranara stepped back, preparing to unmanifest to return Ramana to him, then thought of something else he should know, “Oh, one other thing... For your own safety, avoid touching me. I am a being of energies which could be detrimental to you.” He nodded, “Okay, no touching.” In the same impassive tone, she added the recommendation, “You can satisfy the urge to touch with her.” Seeming to find that even more amusing, he chuckled again.

Ranara then cordially took her leave, and her form vanished with a planar ripple.

Ramana reappeared an instant later, and rushed to him. Koros grinned, encircled her with his large arms, and momentarily lifted her off the ground in happiness to see her again. She started to ask him how it went, but her words were muffled as he kissed her passionately. She wiggled in pleasure, wondering what must have happened for him to be in such an exuberant mood. To her quizzical look, Koros remarked with a grin, “I'm satisfyin’ an urge. She told me to.” Still mystified, she smiled at his playfulness and figured, “She’ll probably give me a report later.

Koros grinned, “I like her, she's funny.” Ramana wondered at his statement, “Funny? I never heard anyone say that about her! Unless you mean funny-strange.” He shrugged, “She plays it straight as an arrow, but she's got a sense of humor. Real subtle.” She was amazed, “Really? That might be a recent development... all the advice we've been giving her about loosening up, perhaps. Mark this day. My sister has a sense of humor.” He responded, “Well, I wouldn't say that so much, but like when she left she said not ta touch her, then she added that I can satisfy my urge to touch with you.... That's amusin’. And good advice.” He grinned, his hands starting to wander.

Ramana looked thoughtful, “She's always been so.... rationally dispassionate.... So I wonder if she meant it that way? I shall have to ask for her report, to see. She does just say things like it is.” She mused on it for merely a moment, then asked, “So it's all good about her being... around... then?” Koros nodded, “I'm good with it, I think I understand.” She let out a great sigh of relief, “Awesome. You're great. Thank you so much for accepting us.

Wikia Bio Playlist

Ramana Jala
10:58:33 PM 10/29/15

Registered Member #1033

Levels of Trust
part 5

Ranara retained external awareness for a few moments after Ramana’s manifestation, in order to view any results of her interview with Koros. She had done her best to answer Ramana’s request to soften her manner, and had apparently succeeded, as the human had seemed to grow more at ease with her throughout the course of their conversation. Some of her statements had apparently even elicited amusement from him, proven by Koros subsequently remarking to Ramana that he found Ranara funny. Humor, another subject to contemplate while unmanifest.

The first person whom Ramana had advised Ranara to present herself to, Archmagus Rishkin, in order to solicit his aid, had recommended that she cultivate emotions in order to better understand and interact with people. Since then, she had taken the mage’s recommendation by redoubling her efforts to understand emotions, to see if she could actually cultivate them, or if not, then in some way simulate them, or at the very least, substitute some other quality in their stead. At the moment, her best ploy to mitigate her lack of emotions was on an intellectual level, using pointed or ironic statements which might be construed as witty. Although the difference between a pointedly accurate statement which was ‘witty’ and one which came across as ‘rudely analytical’ was still unclear.

The human Koros had admitted that he was not magically attuned, and dealt with the arcane in much the same way as Ramana always had. He did not understand how to trace the flow of causality in the magical energies of the Weave, either the Mystaric Weave or the Shadow Weave. Ranara recalled the lesson from her mentor Master Crideas, on the interrelated principles from which any magical act flowed. How for a wizard, it was not force of emotion that instigated and propelled the power, nor the favoring whim of any god, but understanding of these principles, true knowledge, apprehended by the dedication of a focused high intellect. The only potential intervention of a god may have been in Ranara’s creation to optimize her own energetic composition for interaction with those magical energies and for intellectual capacity, although that was still merely a hypothesis. Master Crideas had introduced her to the principle of Veritas, objective Truth, which ordered the mind and so increased the efficiency of intelligence. Forever after, Veritas would be the foundation of her thinking processes. Impartial logical analysis was its method.

When Ranara had first contacted Rishkin for his aid, the inquiry had focused more on explaining the mechanics of her creation. Rishkin was a mage, familiar with the principles of magical, negative, and other energies, and he had had experience with many unusual magical situations, so he understand such things well enough to properly formulate analytical questions. Ranara perceived an intellectual compatibility with Rishkin, as truth was also a guiding principle for him, and he had been easy to approach in her native logical manner. He had an intelligent mind, although obviously he was also a person of deep feelings. Both Koros and Rishkin were of course quite concerned with the implications of Ranara’s existence upon Ramana’s existence, for whom they both had sentiments.

It seemed that Ranara was too unemotional for most people’s preferences. Even her esteemed Master Crideas had had this complaint about Ranara, which early on he had expressed to Ramana, before he had realized that Ranara could review all of Ramana’s memories. He had criticized Ranara for holding the belief that emotion interfered with the intellect, disturbed perfect rationality, and thus had no place in an orderly mind. But he would soon discover that it was not a merely subjective belief, it was a principle of Ranara’s existence, that strong emotion could actually disrupt her energetic cohesion and dissipate her manifestation. Because that is what occurred when he expressed his love for her. He told her that Ramana was the companion of his heart, and she Ranara was the companion of his intellect. She had felt something then, a reaction, at that moment… for a fleeting moment she had felt something unique, a disturbance which may have been love, at least insofar as she could understand the concept from consulting Ramana’s mind. But that emotional disturbance became a wave of interference that threw her energetic coherence into disorder and overcame the concentration of her will to maintain vehicular containment, thereby dis-integrating her manifestation and provoking Ramana’s. So it seemed that emotions could potentially defocus and disperse the consolidation of her energy matrix. Ranara had not dared to venture near strong emotion since.

Really, she did not have the visceral or hormonal basis to process or express emotions. She had no heart in the common physical, nor emotional, sense. Her body vehicle was a pseudo-physical copy of Ramana’s biological body, created from the substances of a water elemental and negative shadow energy. Her body had some of the forms of, and some similitude of functions to, a biological meat body, but generally those were only imitations, without the substance of organic functions. Her own shadowy heart circulated her energies and fluids, but that was not required for processing that fluid through lungs to oxygenate it. She did not usually breathe, as it served no purpose other than to vibratorily form speech.

She was not a biological being, she was an energy being. A hydro-energetic being, to be precise. Her unique chemistry meant that not only did she not have to breathe except in forming speech, neither did she eat nor drink in the usual sense, nor sleep nor reverie, and she did not have any other biological needs. Ramana’s being anchored Ranara’s existence on the fundamental level, and Ranara only had to periodically replenish her elemental water and negative shadow energy matrix. She did not have any hormonal urge to reproduce, and in fact would of course not be able to reproduce in the manner of an organic being. Whether she could reproduce in any manner was currently unexplored. She had no biological desires to distract her mind from the pure pursuit of knowledge. Whosever’s will had created her, she had been optimized for intellect and magic.

She did not feel emotional pleasure, nor emotional pain, in any but the most rudimentary and intellectual sense. If the awareness of danger and the ensuing reflexive instinct for self-preservation could even be considered as constituting the emotion of fear, that was the entirety of her experience of emotions. She did not feel love, yet she did not feel its antithesis, hate, either, so she took no pleasure in harming others, nor had any desire to be disdainful or hateful towards anyone. It was never her intent to offend. She was simply un-emotional, impassive.

She did not have any desire to deliberately disavow emotions, but she had heard at least one organic being profess that there were benefits from doing so. Apparently some maintained the philosophy that there was no room for emotions and sentimentality in business and certain other endeavors, and emotions were harmful, rendering one incapable of making rational decisions. Thus such persons judged it advisable to learn to purge emotions from one’s psyche. This philosophy proposed that a life and mind ruled by emotions would invariably lead one to do things counterproductive to the production and securing of certain goals, nullifying the acuity of mind and steadfast resolve necessary to ruthlessly pursue them.

Ranara necessarily could not become physically very close to organic beings, for her very touch could injure them, if she were not aware and prepared to buffer her negative energies from affecting them. She had to shield her negative energies with her water element, or else her negative energy content could burn an organic being. It had been a fortuitous coincidence that Koros had presented her with a gift of magical gloves; and the act seemed to have been quite intuitive or subtly directed, causing her to speculate to him that perhaps some god had led him to do so. She had briefly elaborated upon the god whom she had chosen in Aenea, Prizimal, the Keeper of the Balance of Light and Darkness.

In the service of Prizimal, she had taken up the path of a Dead Stalker, learning to channel positive energy in order to cull overabundances of undead creatures and deal with the energetic infections of those environs which prompted those imbalances. However, her vehicle’s relationship to the energy makeup of the Ao universe of Toril and Thain seemed to preclude her from manipulating much positive energy, mostly likely another effect of the existence of its Shadow Plane. Though because she herself was made of similar negative energies as were undead, she still had an understanding of such creatures. As one person had noted, who better to do such a job than one who was of the same ilk.

Technically, one might label her composition as ‘undead water elemental’. She was cold and shadowy, totally unlike organics, and her touch could counter their life-force. Thus she was in essence destined to be isolated from them, as a sentient pocket plane of negative shadow energy encapsulated by water, which did not naturally possess an emotional empathy. Her intellect was her life, and magic was her expression.

Her senses were also not the same as those of biological beings. As one might expect to be the case for an energy being, her perception was mainly that of energy sensing. Technically, what she had in the form of eyes did not actually optically see well, and she was nearly ‘blind as a bat’ in the ordinary physical optical sense. She missed the eyeglasses that she had made in Aenea, which had helped in focusing and filtering energies for perception. But in any case, her normal main sense was that of energetic resonance of her entire body vehicle with the environment. As she perceived by energetic resonance, she could perceive some things that ordinary organics could not.

This brought to mind that the unique symbiotic water elemental which Ramana and Ranara shared in their bloodstream and body fluid, Oremaa, had unusual perceptions as well, being able to psychically sense and reveal mental information. Could Oremaa give Ranara a similitude of emotions, if she were able to access its instinctual psycho-emotional resonance ability? All organic beings contained water; thus it might be possible for Ranara to tap into the elemental’s talent, or learn from it to use her own body vehicle’s resonance with water and negative energy as a type of truth or falsehood detector. Ramana herself already used her visual perception of shadow leeches around persons as a type of negativity gauge. Ranara might be able to do something similar via her own hydro-energetic resonance perceptions, like, or augmented by, the special perceptions of Oremaa. She would have to examine this possibility forthwith.

This contemplation of her emotional, sensory, and other limitations had shown Ranara that one’s efficiency as a being had much to do with how one knew what one did not know, in order to know whether one could trust one’s self to determine reality, by logical analysis or by other methods. If one knew oneself to be deficient in a certain sense, then one’s analysis and the resulting choices were put into uncertainty and disarray, and confidence was nullified. Ranara needed to discover how to compensate for her limitations, so that she could trust her abilities.

Ramana herself was healing her body, mind, and emotions, so that she could trust herself and her skills again. Now that she had reorganized her psyche, and found foci for her rampant emotionalism, Ramana seemed to find satisfaction, consolation, purpose, and strength from them. Emotions were something that Ramana was replete with in abundance, in fact, one might say that Ramana had enough emotions to suffice for the both of them. Ramana was passionate, Ranara was dispassionate.

Ranara did not understand Ramana’s decision-making process, as it was apparently based upon emotional instincts or intuition. In the case of Rishkin, there was more historical data of reliability over time in relationship to Ramana. Koros seemed trustworthy enough, but then he had not been put to any extraordinary test, nor even the test of very much time. Not that Ranara herself had been cautious enough in relation to others when she first arrived. Ranara did not know when to not trust, just as much as she did not know when to trust. Did emotional instinct make Ramana a better judge of character than Ranara? Was Rishkin right, that emotions were necessary to perceive properly?

Ranara was only about 10 years old as a created being. She hadn’t lived as long as Ramana, who was over 70, nor was Ranara even as old as Koros. Objectively, Ranara was a child, and if there were any potential in her for emotions, that was as yet undeveloped. There was still much for her to learn, and as she was unique, there was no one exactly like her to teach her. But her experimental foray into this universe was yielding many new experiences and much data to analyze.

[ Edited 03:39:12 AM 06/05/16 ]

Wikia Bio Playlist

Ramana Jala
01:27:54 PM 11/06/15

Registered Member #1033
Rewarding Work

Ramana set out to complete her commission from Hamley to thoroughly scout the Bagnorn Orcs. With Koros, she had scouted from the Hamley mining camp up the mountain to right before their encampments, so a day later she went up alone to sneak through their front lines and by the thick of them where they guarded the access to their Keep. She wasn’t surprised to not find any live cows, and the camps smelled like the Orc version of barbecue.

After resting and preparing all her contingency plans, she ventured into the Keep. She was pleased that she didn’t make any missteps as she dodged through the shadows behind and around the bulky nasty smelly Orcs that patrolled everywhere. Her skills were sharp again. She was certain that the lookouts had very good sight, so she had made sure to put on an extra Camouflage spell. But fortunately not even the priests had seeing spells on, and they never had a clue that she was there to alert them to do so.

Something interesting that Ramana found in their Keep were openings to magma upwellings, attended by priests. She wondered if perhaps this might tie in with the recent activity by radicals across the Island. Ranara’s customary reports to her, usually conveyed right before Ramana’s manifestation in the form of a mass information dump review of everything that had transpired with Ranara since their last switch, had related to her that Miss Janea and some others were investigating the terrorism presumably caused by F’tarek worshippers against the other elemental aspects.

Ranara had taken an interest in assisting the defense of the aspect of water, because, after all, she was a water-based life-form, as really were all the biological beings as well. Not to mention that Ramana and Ranara shared a water elemental in their body fluids. Ranara had recently formed an intent to make the acquaintance of the elemental aspect of water, Wai’i’lani, and this might be a way to encourage such a relationship. Also, Ranara still considered herself a disciple of the god of Balance, Prizimal, from the Amethyst universe… and thus for all these reasons, she was intent to support preservation of the aspect of water and the maintenance of the balance of the elemental aspects. Ramana would ask her sister to convey the information about the apparent Orc fire worshippers to her friend Miss Janea at the next convenient time.

Before Ramana left the Keep, she relieved the Orcs of as many resources and gold from their treasure room as she could quietly carry. When she got outside and away from the danger zones, she pulled out her notebook and jotted down some notes about their positions and numbers. Then she decided to go out the back way down to scout the Drakamyre access, just to be thorough.

After her expedition, she wrote up a complete report for Captain Rothe, detailing all the Orc numbers, concentrations, and positions, and mentioning the fire priests as well. He was sure to soon authorize a party of warriors to go up into the area to do some defensive culling, and relieve them of even more resources. That might teach the Orcs the expense of stealing Hamley livestock, and perhaps put down some of those fire priests as well.

Wikia Bio Playlist

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top