| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Kyssyt
03:05:25 PM 01/17/20
I agree about the absurdity of conversations that last two days and two nights. but in terms of age - especially long-term characters - passage of time throws up interesting questions.

Jandari
11:09:33 AM 01/17/20
Yeah, it's all subjective and based on the story being told.

Payne
10:11:19 AM 01/17/20
*Points to Dogberts comment*

This is the way.

Dogbert
01:11:39 AM 01/17/20
I prefer to use real-time, myself! I don't imagine any of my characters have really had 4 day conversations, for instance.

Cuchuwyn
08:29:10 PM 01/16/20
It should be noted though that time is a nebulous concept at best on Thain. The answer to any question about how much time has passed between two events is always "however much time is most interesting for the story".

Thranduil Greenleaf
08:18:58 PM 01/16/20
@Kyssyt,
I did the math on that about 10 years ago, and if it hasn't changed, 1 year RL is equal to about 30 years game time on Thain. So, 12 years RL would be about 360 years on Thain.

Kyssyt
08:05:23 PM 01/16/20
What's 12 RL years in Thain years?

Jandari
05:51:49 PM 01/16/20
code? Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start?

Cuchuwyn
05:40:58 PM 01/16/20
You know, this Melphaecto woman may be a bit harsh, but she at least has a code.

Payne
03:31:27 PM 01/16/20
Vaurin is looking like the hero we all need after all.

Forums
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Inq_Damocles, Just Miggen, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, Oberon, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Twirlip
01:19:39 PM 04/29/15

Registered Member #1029
On the desk in Kalara's room in the Trade & Tackel, a small wooden box sits next to a strip of ribbon on a sheet of paper. The paper is covered in a neat, cursive script and the margins decorated with pictures of flowers, stars, and... rabbits?

Dear Mother,

I was worried that my letter would not reach you, but it seems the messenger was as good as her word. The little gem was a test as well as a present. Now that I know it was delivered safely, I'm sending this with a small box containing three white stones which you should give to Hannah to sell at the Keep market.

No, I haven't met another man. I'm still smarting over making a fool of myself with Micah. I was carried away by the excitement of the city and meeting a handsome, rich man who was kind and interested in me. I didn't know such places as brothels existed and had to find out about them from a book in the library. That's a place where they have lots and lots of books, more than would fit in our cottage even if they were stacked in piles from floor to ceiling. The librarian (the person who looks after the library) looked at me very strangely when I asked for a book about brothels, until I told him that Micah ran one and I needed to find out what he did. Then he just sort of smiled and found me a book to read.

I've been earning a lot of money. I think I'm now even richer than Skall. I've been hiring myself out to people who need to go places and taking them there and looking after them, making sure they come back safely. I was worried at first, but now it seems easy and some of them have even given me an extra present on top of the amount agreed, so I must be doing it right. I've bought lots of new clothes and shoes and might even buy a cottage of my own in a little village here called Hamley some day.

When I'm not taking people places, I join up with other adventurers (that's people that go to dangerous places and fight brigands and monsters and take their treasure). Then I use my magic to help protect the people I'm with. Sometimes though there's no one around, so Moth and I go off exploring together. I always take my unlucky bunny paw though to keep us safe. Moth tells me when things are too dangerous. I tried to give Moth some gold, but she doesn't really understand. She likes sugar and shiney things and keeps them in chests under my bed in my room at the inn. There's no more room for shoes and I think she's set traps. I'm a bit scared to check.

Oh, I nearly forget. I broke my nail! I did it when running away from a big dragon made of bones. But it's alright, I got a priest to mend it.

Your loving daughter, Kalara

Kalara - I do magic
Twirlip
08:10:57 AM 05/19/15

Registered Member #1029
The scent of a delicate floral fragrance still hangs in the air of the room, as if someone has just left. A piece of paper, partly obscured by sand, lies on a desk as if the writer is just waiting for the ink to dry before sending it on its way.

Dear Mother,

I'm glad the stones fetched a good price. It will stop me worrying over how you're managing. Please say thanks to Hannah for me. I knew she'd be smart enough to sell them one at a time to different merchants. I miss market days back home, even though there is a market in the city here nearly every day, if you can imagine such a thing.

The ring is a present for Hannah. It will bring her luck until she can find another bunny paw.

Just out of curiosity, did Brand ask after me before or after he learned of my new found wealth? Yes, I know he owns a boat of his own, but he looks like a dog and most of the time he smells of drink. Besides I could probably buy ten boats of my own if I wanted.

You wanted to know about the people here. I've met all sorts, from city beggars to elven royalty. Adventurers (which apparently is what I am now) seem to get to meet almost everyone. I suppose the people I know best are the ones I travel with. They're a mixed bunch. Mostly other adventurers, but also city guards like sir Malaka Sako. I think he's a knight or something.

What can I tell you about the island? I think it's bigger than you imagine it to be. There have been people here for a very long time, long enough for cities to be founded and be lost in history. There are two big cities. One is called Steinkreis. That's the one that sir Malaka works for and most of the people who live there are human. The other city is called Greenvale and is elven. I've been helping the queen there with some problems. I'm not sure how I got involved really. One minute I was taking a letter to her and next thing I knew was I was out in a desert exploring the ruins of an ancient temple. I wished I'd learned how to curtsey properly because I somehow managed to trip myself up and fell over.

Don't worry about the dragon. Moth helped to distract it whilst I zapped it with magic. I had to go back because the first time I saw it I told some adventurers about it and they said that now I'd disturbed it, it would probably come looking for me and destroy the inn where I have my room. There are lots of people living and working here and I don't think some of them are very good with dragons.

Oh, I thought there was another shoe shop in the city, but there isn't. It was just some robbers trying to waylay me.

Kalara - I do magic
Twirlip
11:54:47 AM 05/21/15

Registered Member #1029
A fey sits on a cluttered desk, surrounded by bits of leather work, thread, parchment and ink. She is clutching a tiny pen made from a wren's feather and has a look of concentration on her face as she copies one page to another. Placed carefully at the other end of the desk, seemingly as far away from the chaos as possible lies a single sheet of paper covered with a neat, cursive script and a drawing of a kitten.

Dear Mother,

No, no! When I said sir Malaka was nice, I meant just that. He's just nice, not nice, nice! He seems the kind and dependable sort and I'd trust him with my life, but he's just a bit boring. Mind you, you have to be wary of the handsome, exciting ones too. I still blush thinking what a fool I made of myself with Micah.

Isn't it amusing how a few gems and shiny trinkets can sway people's opinions? I don't remember Skall ever deigning to cross our threshold before, but suddenly it seems he's calling every other day? I laughed out loud when you described a scrubbed up Brand following his father like a puppy dog and trying to make small talk. I expect Hannah had fun with him.

Don't worry about the robbers. Well, I mean don't worry about me. I managed to cast a warding spell before they jumped on me and the tables were suddenly turned. I made sure to let one of them escape to warn any others that luring people shopping down dark alleyways isn't a risk free occupation. The sad thing is that some of them would probably be a useful help out in the wilds, but that doesn't seem to have crossed their minds.

You remember I told you about that day when I came back to the inn and found a dragon kin killing the guards? Well it seems there are different kinds depending on their colours. The one I had to zap was a white one, but there are others whose wings shine like gold and silver. The first one I saw was the body of a silver one who was killed after attacking the inn. I didn't think more of it, but later I was travelling north and saw sir Malaka talking to a group of them and went to help him. I was going to start zapping but he seemed to not be worried about them. Later I talked to them myself and they explained they were metallic kin and hated what the other coloured kin did. They said that the silver one had just gone mad. I hope they don't go mad very often or else they're just as dangerous as the others.

Moth is fine. She found a scroll on some shelves in an old library that's now the home to a tribe of ogres. For fun we made some changes to it so that it summons a bunny instead of a badger. Unfortunately she has started referring to the summon as her "Mighty Battle Steed" and has made a harness and armor for it. I told her I didn't think the poor thing would survive very long in combat, so now she's making dozens of copies.

Oh, I nearly forgot. I've got a new kitten! He's small, black and has a lovely soft coat. I've called him Sako.

Kalara - I do magic

Jump:     Back to top