| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Kagali
12:31:52 PM 11/21/19
I still remember the day Tavi got epic. 'Twas also the day Meri got a +3 ring of protection! 'Course, now that's not so special, but it was a huge deal back then!

Shade
09:02:05 PM 11/20/19
Tavi-Tavi is a legend.

Galorndan
08:35:12 PM 11/20/19
@ Izral. Keshva may still be lurking around somewhere, i suspect there may be quite an interesting homecoming.

Jandari
08:33:51 PM 11/20/19
I remember the TAVI!!!!!

Galorndan
08:31:51 PM 11/20/19
If I can ever manage to get a newer computer, yes, there will be a Tavi in Thains future.

...wait, there are still folk who remember the Tavi?

Izral
08:28:38 PM 11/20/19
What about Keshva?

Shade
08:02:53 PM 11/20/19
Will we be seeing the Tavi again?

Galorndan
12:10:43 PM 11/20/19
^_^

Shade
10:16:46 PM 11/17/19
*gasps* Galorndan! *wavity wave*

Galorndan
09:40:42 PM 11/17/19
Hello Thain

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
No Business Like Gnoll Business
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Dogbert, Inq_Damocles, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Zhymm
08:47:35 PM 10/07/14

Registered Member #191
Shando agrees to a perform a task for the local boss in hopes of gaining his trust.

[ image disabled ]

A mysterious hole in the pig pen ..

[ image disabled ]

Shando watching and listening in the Eyrie

[ image disabled ]

If I were organized I'd be dangerous.

Zhymm Grasscobble (AKA "Cobble") - halfling rogue, immersion disruptor, "The Tale of the Fey Blades" -Clickedy-, "The Pink Hair Incident" -Clickedy-,

Zuben el Genubi - inept human wizard,

Shando Reyer (AKA "Morgan") - shadow touched human ranger, "Where Lies Blame?" -Clickedy-, "Another Path Opens" -Clickedy-

Tagnus Stenkil (AKA "Tag") - dwarven fighter from the (late) Cloud Peaks Clan,

Dawson Mossmann - human druid, studies mosses and lichens,

Scatos Umbrassi- mustachio-ed, shadow touched human rogue,

Frin Featherfoot - fleet of foot halfling monk,

Sheeza Biggun - female half-orc barbarian,

Carmine Underhill - halfling wizard, Underhill family potion brewer,

Kovapuusti Ristalko (AKA Dulenti Sendel) - halfling wizard, Red Wizard wannabe, "The Transformation" -Clickedy-,

and a host of others.
ChaoticDrow
06:21:44 PM 10/08/14
Code Breaker

Registered Member #17124
The lighthouse. The more they thought about it, the more it turned into a better idea to get rid of it. The last thing the two wanted to do was go in unprepared, however. They decided to gather a few more materials and attempt to get one more look at the structure before seeing their plan through.

Garrik had been collecting the alchemist fire they had found in the gnolls' own supplies, but it was Styvn that suggested they gather goblin fire powder to ensure the job got done and make it more difficult for the gnolls to easily reconstruct it. With that, the pair made their way into Iron Clan territory, arrow and axe striking down the filthy creatures that inhabited those tunnels. They traveled deep into the caves before finally finding barrels of the explosive substance, Garrik happy to watch Styvn's back from a respectable distance while the elf's nimble hands took care of extracting how much they would need. By the time the two left they had gathered five large bags. Garrik figured it was more than enough to blow out the foundation, if not that general area of the fort.

[ image disabled ]

It was morning when they returned to Feywood, so instead of stopping in the forest, they continued onward into the swamp. The stone circle was the perfect spot to await nightfall. It seemed as though the hounds and the suspicious nature of the gnolls kept the clearing safe for the pair to set up a small camp. Just as Garrik was getting comfortable, their small fire warding off the chill and dampness, it was time to go.

Styvn suggested they take the main gate by surprise this time. Although it was riskier, it also meant disturbing less of the fort, as this was one of the most direct routes to the lighthouse. The two kept low as they glided across the swamp, Styvn's steps quiet and sure, Garrik's just barely quieter than the gnolls' themselves. Darting behind the cover of a boulder, they studied the guards that watched over the main gate. Styvn pointed out two on the watch tower next to the alarm.

"I'll sneak up and take out the overwatch. When I do, all hell will break loose here at the gate. You ready?" The elf whispered to Garrik. After getting a count on the remaining gnolls, Garrik gave a firm nod and Styvn slipped away into the shadows. After a few quiet moments, Garrik tensed up, watching the creatures by the gong. As soon as he saw three figures, one noticeably shorter than the other two, he took off sprinting to charge the gnolls that were loitering around the gate. By the time he crashed into the first surprised gnoll, Styvn was already firing off arrows from his perch, the gong remaining untouched by the two dead gnolls laying an arm's length away.

The two paused after the last gnoll hit the ground, listening intently for any notification of a raised alarm. Their straightforwardness appeared to work this time, as no further gnolls came to reinforce the front gate. Styvn found the key to the gate off a corpse and they walked into the fort, sticking close to the walls. Aside from a few gnolls sleeping in their tents, the path to the lighthouse was clear for them and they experienced no further interruptions as they inspected the makeshift structure.

[ image disabled ]

Garrik kicked and dislodged a loose brick with his heel as Styvn checked around the base. "At one time it was pretty solid. I don't think it would take much to bring it down now," the elf murmured to Garrik as he moved to his side. Squinting up at the log platform, Garrik nodded his agreement. "Burning the logs would do it, and so would blowing the blocks out from under it." He glanced to Styvn as the elf continued his thoughts. "Maybe pour liquid fire on the logs and then blow the blocks out with firepowder. The explosion should light the logs if the blocks don't collapse." At the mention of explosion, Garrik's hand went to a tube in his pack.

"I think I have a failsafe as well, if the powder doesn't ignite," Garrik said. Handling the tube with great care, Garrik slipped the cap off of one end and dispensed a single arrow from it into his hand. He held the explosive arrow up to Styvn for him to examine before placing it into the elf's hands. "Courtesy of the Bagnorn. If the powder doesn't light or we can't be near enough to start it, better you take the shot than I." Styvn offered a smile and nod as he tucked the arrow away into a quiver. They took one last look around the lighthouse before moving over to the docks to see what more, if any supplies, had arrived.

Garrik pilfered through a couple of crates that contained more or less the same they had seen before: some healing supplies and arms and armored mixed throughout. He raised his head and looked in Styvn's direction as the elf called him over. Garrik crouched down next to the elf as he pointed to something in the mud. "Tracks. Human. I've never seen these before." Garrik's eyes narrowed as he tried to make out the imprints. "They're smaller than the gnolls, but most of them are heavy boots. The kind soldiers would wear." He sideglanced to the elf.

"Soldiers.. sounds worse than supplies. All we've run into are gnolls thus far.." The elf nodded at Garrik's observation and took a few steps out from the docks, Garrik in tow. "They didn't stay here. They all got back on whatever vessel was docked here and left. That tells me they are actually dependent on this lighthouse. With the fog that's prevalent here, they could never have gotten to this dock without it... especially during a new moon."

"Hopefully it's the final straw for them." Garrik looked to Styvn. "And not cause enough trouble or backlash that they decide to send reinforcements instead of abandoning their investment." Styvn nodded at Garrik's words, then pointed to the ground again. "Look here. See the small prints?" Garrik shuffled over, lying as he nodded, unable to pick out such fine details. "Those are the kind of prints soft shoes make..possibly someone of wealth or importance. The force of gnolls here could have overpowered those men, I think. It was the one with the small, light prints that was in command here." Garrik eyed the elf, impressed at what he pieced together just by footprints.

Styvn let out a soft sigh as he stood. "This would explain the break my scouts had in the east Feywood a few days ago. All the gnolls were here. And if the name on that crate holds true, if the Thayans are involved this deeply, they wouldn't be dealing with just gnolls..." A shadow charged past the lighthouse, moving straight for them. With what seemed like one swift motion to Garrik, Styvn raised his bow and buried several arrows into the gnoll's throat. "We should head out of here before things get busy again." Blinking at the body, Garrik nodded in agreement.

Garrik "Bear" Brennan
[ image disabled ]
Zhymm
07:41:49 PM 10/08/14

Registered Member #191
Completing Krel's task, Shando asks if there's any other work he can do. Krel says "Check with shore master down on the beach. If he needs extra hands to unload a ship he'll put you to work. Take this and show it to the guard on the path to the beach. It'll get you by." Krel hands Shando a small bit of rope with an odd knot braided near one end.

Shando makes his way down to the beach, slipping into the shadows as he nears the bottom of the path. One ship is set off from the others. Two heavy booted guards stand near the gangway to the ship. Crates and barrels sit on the strand nearby. A stern shout comes from somewhere below deck on the ship, "Tha dang tide's droppin'! We haf ta haul anchor now if we're gonna get this load to tha dogfaces in tha swamp before sun up tumarrah!". The guards shuffle up the gangway and enter the poop. Shando takes the opportunity to slip closer to the ship.

[ image disabled ]

"I need to get a closer look at those crates" thinks Shando to himself. He creeps up to the crates using shadow, grass blade and rock
to hide his presence.

[ image disabled ]

"The lettering on this crate ... 'Bezantur' ... I wonder? It must mean something. I need to get this to Styvn."

Zhymm Grasscobble (AKA "Cobble") - halfling rogue, immersion disruptor, "The Tale of the Fey Blades" -Clickedy-, "The Pink Hair Incident" -Clickedy-,

Shando Reyer (AKA "Morgan") - shadow touched human ranger, "Where Lies Blame?" -Clickedy-, "Another Path Opens" -Clickedy-

Kovapuusti Ristalko (AKA Dulenti Sendel) - halfling wizard, Red Wizard wannabe, "The Transformation" -Clickedy-,

and a host of others.
Zhymm
11:25:38 PM 10/08/14

Registered Member #191
A letter is left with Bence Trade for Styvn:
Styvn,

Hoping all is well with you. I need to speak with you at your earliest convenience. Look for me in the usual place.

Morgan

and a host of others.
ChaoticDrow
10:33:49 PM 10/09/14
Code Breaker

Registered Member #17124
Tonight was the night to finish their task. They had a feeling things would escalate soon if they stayed idle for too long. Ensuring that the goblin firepowder was safely packed and that they had enough alchemist fire, the pair once again strolled into the mists of the Gerdamish Moor. As they walked, Styvn's keen eyes stayed on watch for the birds that would often glide around, suspicious that they too worked with the gnolls as a kind of lookout. They stuck close to the shoreline in order to take advantage of the fog that rolled in off the sea and to stay out of the way off any gnoll patrols that typically wandered the central swamp.

[ image disabled ]

To make the infiltration as easy as possible, Garrik at first considered swimming up to the docks and avoiding the entire fort if they could, but neither wanted to find out how the firepowder would behave in damp conditions. This wasn't a night to take unnecessary risks. They trudged through some bushes and sprawling trees before Styvn paused, holding up his hand for Garrik to do the same. "I thought I saw some motion in the waters.." Garrik wrinkled his nose as he looked around. A foul stench began to permeate through the air. "Do you smell that?" He turned to look at Styvn, who in turn had a fixed gaze over his shoulder. Spinning around, Garrik's eyes widened as undead slowly became visible in the mists, shambling toward them in surprising numbers.

Arrows flew in a steady stream over his shoulder as Garrik met the wave head on in an attempt to keep enough space between the undead and the elf so that Styvn would be unhindered in his bow work. Hands grabbed at Garrik's arms and his cloak, trying to overpower him and drag him to the ground. His sharpened axe cleaved through soft, rotting flesh and he trusted Styvn to cover his exposed flank. Before the last zombie crumbled to the ground, Garrik saw a flash from the corner of his eye and grunted as he was hit with a handful of missiles created with arcane energy.

Running to the source of the projectiles, a growl escaped his lips as Garrik encountered a lizard man in the middle of casting another spell. Holding nothing back in his strike, Garrik buried his axe into the reptile before it could finish its words. He kicked the corpse from his axe as Styvn approached. "In all the years I've been scouting this swamp.. I've never seen undead here before," he admitted to Garrik. "Let's press on to the gate had have a look. See if there's any more unusual activity." Garrik nodded and the two of them continued on, more apprehensive than before.

When they made it to the front of the fort, they were able to make out that the gates were open, though only for a brief period of time. Red cloaks billowed in the wind as a small group of humanoid figures rounded the corner, entering the fortifications. With a groan, the gate was closed behind them and gnolls began to once again populate the area. "Were..those Thayan cloaks?" Garrik looked to Styvn, wondering if they finally had a sure idea of who was providing goods to the gnolls. "I think so, but soldiers. I was able to make out some of their armor." Garrik let out a soft sigh. Of course the night they decided to go after the lighthouse there would be another shipment drop.

Styvn looked up to Garrik. "If there are indeed Thayans about, we must make sure those left surviving here never saw us. If you will be alright alone here, I will try and see what's going on, and just how much we're up against." Giving the elf a reassuring nod, he puffed up his bear hide cloak and crouched low near the base of a tree, hoping any passerby would mistake him for the occasional boar that roamed the swamps. Returning the nod, Styvn slipped off into the mists, seeming to disappear almost instantly.

Garrik shifted nervously as he sat in silence. He wasn't sure how much time had passed. Nothing changed in his vantage point and the flame atop the lighthouse still burned strong. He nearly jumped out of his boots when Styvn, standing next to him, let out a soft sigh. "There is definitely something going on here. There is another of those lizard creatures by the gate, and more gnolls than usual. The most interesting thing was the Thaya-." Styvn's words were cut short as a waterlogged hand shot out of one of the pools. The pair sprung to action to meet the undead as they crawled out from the water. More lizardfolk appeared, some slinging spells and others charging to meet Garrik as he defended the shoreline.

The skirmish was over almost as quickly as it started, an eerie silence falling once again throughout the swamp. Styvn muttered, "This has to be the work of the Thayans." Garrik glanced over to the elf. "You were about to mention something before about them." With a nod, Styvn told Garrik what he had seen. There were half a dozen soldiers milling around the lighthouse, overseen by an officer. Styvn's guess is they were loading off a fresh shipment. "We've come this far to not stop now.. " Garrik sighed. Styvn nodded. " We may not get another opportunity like this. I say we try it, same plan as last night? I'll take out the overwatch, and you tackle the others." Garrik nodded and shifted into position, Styvn slipping into the mists like a ghost.
He ran in as soon as he heard commotion, and nearly froze in his tracks. "Oh gods.. there -are- more.." It seemed as though a majority of the gnoll forces were out milling around the gates, all closing in on an elf standing atop their lookout platform. Letting out a huff, Garrik ran in from behind and waded into the mess of barking madness. He was able to draw enough attention away from Styvn, who showed his gratitude by dropping the gnolls that tried to close in around Garrik's back. As the gnoll forces began to thin, Garrik heard Styvn shout out a warning. A hulking mass of fur and muscle charged straight for Garrik.

Due to the early warning, he was able to set his feet to the side and grab the creature by the horns, redirecting the majority of its charge short of its target and into the ground, where it was quickly drilled with a volley of arrows. Garrik's eyes widened. Horns? Styvn dropped gracefully from the post and strolled up next to the surprised man. "You didn't mention minotaurs.." "They weren't here a little while ago, " Styvn responded, slight annoyance in his tone. "There weren't that many gnolls, either. This is no ordinary shipment they're receiving.." The pair found a key to the gate on one of the gnolls near the lookout and slipped past the gates, sticking close to the palisades for cover.

A foul stench wafted through the air again and undead shambled out from the trees to again try to hinder their process. "I hope you brought a large enough quiver!" Garrik shouted at the elf as they engaged their latest obstacle. Striking down the undead was going as smooth as it could, the elf and human working together in unison until Garrik felt something splinter against his pauldron. His brow knitted and he turned to yell at Styvn, quickly biting his tongue as he felt the something whizz by the opening of his helm from the other direction. Armored crossbowmen fired at the two from the lighthouse, not seeming to care if their bolts landed into the backs of their undead allies. Raising his shield to cover his face and drawing his thick cloak around his torso, Garrik slammed through what remained of the zombies with Styvn close behind, twin blades glinting in the torchlight.

After cutting down the crossbowmen, the pair finally got a moment to catch their breath and look over the clearing. It was indeed a good thing they came this night.

[ image disabled ]

Ballistae were stacked up to one side and at the base of the lighthouse a forge had been installed. From the smell of soot in the air, it was also recently used. Styvn pointed out another small group of men stationed by the docks. More crossbowmen. Using the lighthouse for cover, the two advanced on the group, making quick work of what was left of the current post. Styvn inspected the dirt around the docks as Garrik began to drag some of the bodies into the shelter of the lighthouse. "Lots of tracks here. Very fresh. They were just here delivering. Let's set the powder and liquid fire before they decide to bring back any more." Garrik nodded in reply, going into his pack to get out the alchemist fire.

Stepping up onto loose blocks in the foundation, he fit a few of the bottles into the bindings of the logs. Styvn began identifying key points at the base of the tower, strategically spacing out the fire powder and even setting some up near the forge to ensure its destruction in the process. While Styvn double checked his work, Garrik made another circle of the lighthouse before a glint caught his eye. "Hey Styvn? I think I know what the forge was being used for..."

[ image disabled ]

A handful of shining blades littered the ground, the grass around them blackened and charred. Styvn let out a curse, his brow knit in thought. "Thayan fire blades!" Garrik looked to the elf. "Should we take these back to your council for proof?" Styvn nodded at the idea and began gathering up the weapons. "Good thinking. Then we can prove it wasn't just a fluke. There were many. Come, quickly. Let's move toward the gate before we set this off. At the far edge of a bow shot." Garrik hustled after the elf, not wanting to be caught anywhere close to the lighthouse once it, hopefully, came down.

After Garrik had positioned himself next to Styvn, the elf took out the explosive arrow that was given to him. Drawing back the bow with ease made by years of practice, Styvn took his time to line up the shot. When he felt confident the arrow would fly true, he released the string.

[ image disabled ]

And after making a solid connection with a bag of firepowder...

[ image disabled ]

Ignited all they had left underneath the lighthouse. A triumphant smile played across the elf's lips, Garrik's own eyes widened as the stone groaned, and then collapsed in upon itself.

[ image disabled ]

They took one last look around, deciding to leave before another ship came and discovered who it was that did this. Styvn stopped to grab the cloak off of the officer for further proof, and that's when Garrik was struck with an idea. He started darting around, looking through the gnolls' supplies.

"Garrik?"
"Styvn, if you find any gnoll arrows.."
"What are you.. I have some."

Garrik stood up and pointed at the officer. "Shoot that body with them." Styvn gave Garrik a blank look. Flipping his visor up, he met the elf's stare with a mischievous look of his own. A grin slowly dawned upon the elf's features as he realized what Garrik meant to do. With a nod, Styvn went over to the body and removed his own arrows, shooting those with gnollish design through the armor of the fallen and went about to do the same to any of the other Thayan soldiers not caught up in the blast. "Alright.. now it's really time to go."

Styvn moved ahead to open the gates, and as Garrik approached him, heard the elf mutter. "Uh oh.." Garrik raised his brow. "What 'uh oh?" He followed Styvn's gaze. Paling somewhat, Garrik muttered. "Uh oh." In front of them stood a horde of shambling undead littered across the swamp, with more pulling themselves up from the mud. Amongst them were pockets of lizardfolk, of which some where chanting and making motions with their hands.

Just as they moved forward to meet the undead, they heard a loud thumping. In one area of the horde, it appeared as though corpses were being flung up or thrown to the side, whatever causing the disturbance advancing quickly to the pair. Three oversized minotaur burst forth from the front line, crushing zombies beneath their hooves as they came right at Garrik and Styvn. Without hesitation, Garrik ran forth to meet them, arrows already flying over his head to land in the thick hide of the beasts. It appeared as though Styvn was able to blind one, leaving just two a major threat. Garrik had a feeling he got lucky with the first one they encountered, as these two pressed at him from all sides.

He raised his axe to redirect a blow from one and his knees buckled. His shield blocked a swing from the other and he felt his arm go numb with the force. Darting back a few steps to recover, he let them approach as he acted more defensively. Garrik tried to keep moving and redirected strikes instead of making the mistake of accepting them fully. Attacking was the last thing on his mind as he knew he just had to buy enough time for Styvn to position himself behind the creatures. As soon as the elf did, axe and twin blades cut down first one, the second, and finally the raging, blind minotaur still thrashing about.

Before Garrik could catch his breath he was pushed to the ground by a group of clawing zombies. He groaned as their weight pressed him into the mud. Before his vision was completely blocked by soulless eyes, he caught sight of one of the lizards casting at Styvn. A low, almost bear like growl escaped from his lips and he pushed back against the weight on his back. He was not going to die tonight. Not at the hands of such foul creatures as these. He snarled as he casted a zombie off his shield arm and freed his axe. He wouldn't allow it.

He let out a shout and wildly threw himself into a group of casting lizardmen. At first he felt the sting from the impacts of their spells, but the pain slowly seemed to fade until it was just a dull sensation that echoed at the back of his mind. Blind battle rage fueled his actions, shield and axe alike used as weapons to cut down anything that stood in his path. Garrik seemed to lose all reasonable thought, vision blurred, throwing himself at and cleaving through group after group of undead and lizardfolk, Styvn struggling to provide enough cover for the two of them due to Garrik's wild antics.

Garrik's axe began to meet less and less resistance until it hacked a few times at only air. He stumbled and fell to his knees, slumping over as the adrenaline faded out. His breaths were ragged, blood flowing freely from multiple wounds across his body. Garrik would've fallen face first into the mud had not Styvn been there to keep the man upright. "Come, friend. Let's make haste," the quiet words were whispered into his ears and he felt a warm sensation as powerful healing energies poured through him. A scroll the elf held turned to dust after its effects took place and he helped Garrik to his feet. Supporting himself with his arm around Styvn's shoulder, the pair hastily made their way through the rest of the swamp, seeing no more from the gnolls or undead.

They slowed to a walk after entering the safety of the Feywood. An elven patrol escorted them back, having seen a bright flash in the night above the trees. Garrik heard Styvn mention a few words to him. "There were some gnolls left standing, but I doubt the Thayans will believe them if those arrows work. They won't be wanting to listen to any stories about outsiders." Giving a half hearted nod, Garrik made his way to a room within the Council stronghold and collapsed in full armor on the bed out of exhaustion, a smug smile on his face as the success of their plan finally began to make its way in to his thoughts.

[ Edited 11:25:09 AM 10/10/14 ]

Garrik "Bear" Brennan
[ image disabled ]
Thranduil Greenleaf
10:20:30 AM 10/12/14

Registered Member #1145
Styvn brings his evidence and makes his report to the Feywood Council.

*bows as he approaches the Council*

[ image disabled ]

My Lady Syrrisia, and esteemed members of the Council. I have news from our Northern lands.

Myself and the human mercenary, Garrik, have been scouting the gnolls together for some time recently. We learned that the gnolls are receiving aid from the Thayans. We formed a plan to dissuade the Thayans from continuing with their actions, by convincing them that the gnolls were not worthy of their help. We had disrupted their supply line several times, and then decided to destroy the lighthouse the ships were using to find the dock at the old fort, on the moonless nights they picked to offload supplies. The night we arrived at the old fort to implement our plan, we discovered a larger than usual contingency of gnolls along with several other types of their allies in attendance. We encountered hordes of undead creatures accompanied by lizardmen spellcasters. Garrik and I fought several battles against the undead and lizardmen before we ever got to the fort. Once we arrived at the fort, we observed a larger than normal force of gnolls at the gate. I bade Garrik hide in the brush while I snuck into the fort through the rear entrance to scout the situation inside. What I discovered was that not only were there many more gnolls than usual near the dock, there was a small force of Thayan soldiers led by a couple of Thayan officers, and a force of minotaur warriors, as well. I made my way back to where Garrik was concealed, and we discussed our options. We decided to go ahead with our plan to destroy the lighthouse. One of the reasons for that decision was the fact that the Thayans had brought in a forge and were instructing the gnolls how to make more effective weapons to use against our people. Garrik and I had made a trip to the goblin caves in the Grey Iron mountains to obtain fire powder for the purpose of bringing down the lighthouse. We engaged the force guarding the dock area and dispatched many gnolls, minotaurs, and all the Thayans present. After the battle, I placed several bags of the fire powder in strategic places around the lighthouse foundation, and the new forge. Garrik poured several bottle of alchemists fire on the wood floor of the lighthouse first level. We moved away to a safe distance and I shot an explosive arrow that Garrik gave me into one of the bags of firepowder. The lighthouse and forge were completely destroyed. As were preparing to leave, Garrik asked me if I had any of the gnolls arrows. I informed that I did, and he nodded toward one of the dead Thayan officers that I had killed. I then removed all of my arrows from all the Thayans, and shot all their bodies full of gnoll arrows. It is our hope that the Thayans will believe the gnolls, for some reason, became unhappy with the Thayans and rebelled against them, massacring the entire Thayan force on site. As we left the area, we encountered even more of the gnolls, minotaurs, undead, and lizardfolk. After destroying all the enemies along our path out of the swamp, we made our way back here to the Stronghold.

As proof of what occurred, I brought several of the Thayan swords the gnolls were making, as well as the cloak off of one of the Thayan officer's body. *he lays the swords and the cloak out on the floor for the Council to inspect*

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

My Lady, I don't know why the Thayans would want to help the gnolls, considering how much they hate all other races, except that they want to destroy our people and claim our lands for themselves. If that is their goal, we will be hard pressed to prevent that from happening. As you well know, the nation of Thay is a large and very powerful foe. I will await whatever decision you and the Council make. For now, I must attend to my duties.

*bows respectfully and leaves the Council chambers*

[ Edited 10:44:53 AM 10/12/14 ]

Styvn-elf, Tel'Varataurie. -Clickedy- (player loggin = Thranduil Greenleaf) -Clickedy-

Roklynd Elendili-half elf, servant of Mielikki. (player loggin = Kun tao)

Theven Nimblfingers-halfling, lock & trap master. (player loggin = Gregor Wyrmbane)

Bob Johnson-human, large meat shield. (player loggin = Kun Tao)

Bor'el Greenleaf-elf, healer, priest of Corellon. (player loggin = Kun Tao)

Edan Amandil-human, healer. (player loggin = Gregor Wyrmbane)

John Smith-human, blacksmith. (player loggin = Gregor Wrymbane)

Rosco Underhill-halfling, "Underhill family" hit man. (player loggin = Gregor Wrymbane)[/color]

Kings are fools, and nations of men greater fools, to do the bidding of such men and be commanded by their pettiness.... and to die for their whims.
Pentan
02:10:17 PM 10/16/14
Be kind to each other.

Registered Member #1711
Bezantur

The sound of clipping.....the trimming of the bush framing a beautiful blooming red rose.

Jon Tammuk viewed the day when his ship stopped to exchange news on the open seas with one bearing Tarikk T'kul, The Dragon of Bezantur himself a rather fateful one. And although he never saw the elderly mage, had he known what layed in his future he might have considered jumping into the ocean and taking his chances. However the exchange of information had been subtle and brief. Jon stood near the door that led to the cabins staying our of the way and premably out of sight when the Captain turned and pointed right directly in his direction.

The job on the surface seemed mundane. Continue the week long journey the the Gnoll Enclave where for years T'kul had sold arms and supplies for profit, reporting back directly to the mage himself, in person. As if to avoid any lapses in memory a folded parchment was handed to him summarizing the scope of his inspection upon his arrival complete with his name. This sent a jolt of static down his spine. There was cause for alarm. Since the situation in Port Gelena had deteriorated due in large part by actions of the monstrous Harpies T'kul's drug trade and smuggling of antiquities in and out of the city had all but dried up. If something happened to his arms deals to the north his business and ambitions on Thain would be destroyed.

That was nealry a month ago.

Jon had arrived at Bezantur, the smell of ash still permeated the harbor all these years hence. Some of the burnt husks of ships where Thayan mages had met their firey death yet remained next to new wooden deckings as if a reminder of what happens to those who oppose its leaders.

He now walked flanked by Thayan guards, their red ceremonial cloaks flowing arrogantly behind them. As if senceing Jon's impending apprehension they latched on to either arm moving him forward against his inate will to run or at the very least walk slowly. No doubt the report was long over due. Jon had spent extra time in nearby settlements ordering henchmen to listen for anyone laying claim to the mayhem he had witnessed. Again thoughts of running assaulted his wiser nature, but he seemed almost compelled to complete his job as messenger. Ah greed.

T'kul stood a the center of garden of his home. White hair topped his head, only the pale brittle skin of face, neck and hands could be seen drapped in a silken robe of the finest red thread. Borders of golden thread completed the outfit. A pruning tool moved deftly in his hand as he worked on a foreign rose tree ever so slowly. Above him overseeing the courtyard from one of many balchonies was a young woman, dressed in white and red with long silky black hair her hand hidden withing her long billowing robe. T'Kuls daughter a poerful mage in her own right rumored to be the offspring of a hated rival as it was well known that T'Kul had never been known to seek the warmth of a woman in his bed.

Jon didnt know at what point he had fouled his pants as he stood uncomfortably addressing the powerful merchant aptly describing the scene upon his ships arrival on Thain. Although they had arrived at night, as scheduled, they saw no signal light guiding them in. The ship pulled into the fire damaged dock before sunrise. It was then that the enormity of what had happened became clear. Bodies layed stacked on funeral pyres, the lighthouse lay in rubble, a pile of stone and fire piled high on the ground. The nearby trees had caught fire as well causing the eyes to sting with smoke.

'The Dragon's' weak near inaudible voice intruded on the summary. The sound of his clipping the bush stopping.

"So your saying the Gnolls turned on my soldiers?"

Jon felt cold at having to utter the answer. "That is how it appears, our guards were killed with Gnollish arrows."

"...and the Lighthouse?"

Jon shrugged "The Officer must have ordered its destruction. As a way of warning other ships of the danger."

The sound of clipping resumed.

Jon stood for long seeming endless minutes, his eyes rising to gaze at the girl on the balcony but she had retreated into the villa. The clipping stopped jerking the messengers attention back to the elder mage.

"But there are no witnesses to this rebellion?"

"The Gnolls, those that remained claim that they had no knowledge of what went on or why."

There was a momentary pause then a resumption of pruning.

A slave walked up holding an ornate scroll whose value along would buy buildings there in the harbor town.

"My wish is that you return to Thain, pay a visit to the gnolls." Nodding at the man standing to the to Jon's right. "The Captain here will go with you along with some of my chosen men." The will reasure the Gnolls that my treaty with them remains in tack. We can continue our relationship shoudl their new leader agree. The minotaurs.........." he paused pensive. "The minotaur will have to wait.'

Jon saw a chance freedom perhaps for the first time. "Surely you dont need me to come along. I could use some time..."

T'Kul made a slight chopping motion with his hand cutting him off. "You have a different task. Should the gnolls accept my contract you will be taken by them...." he then reached for the ornate scroll pivoted in one motion and handed it to the messenger. "....and will be taken by them to diliver this."

Taking the scroll it was clear the audience was over. Once again he was taken by his arm and rather roughly guided out to the turqoise patio that lead to a side entrance to the villa. Grabbing his travel bag while the Captain called out the names of men who would travel with us he gave the messenger a stern look. "We leave with the tide. Clean up.' he said wrinkling his nose.

Jon took just a handful of steps before opening up the scroll. He was curious to to whom he was going to be handing this scroll too. Perhaps the local Thayan governer. The scroll unfurled, having some skill in languages Jon's blood went cold and was to a lesser degree grateful he had not yet changed clothing.

The scroll was in Orc. He was heading to see the Bagnorn of Thain.

The clipping stopped as T'Kul's daughter approached just to his side.

Her voice was crisp but soft. " You have suspicions."

He turned only his head to look at her. "There are things Time will only teach the old. There are deceptions one can only appreciate by seeing them in the black of Death's eyes."

With one final cliip the beautiful rose fell to the ground, where the Dragon stared at it.

[ Edited 02:24:20 PM 10/16/14 ]

Characters:
Brando Underhill (Maker of Ale and Automata)
Fergus Thorgrimson (Wandering investigator)
Grimwulf Skullcleaver (Hammersong Warrior)
Razac Ogrerum (1/2 Orc Mercenary Rogue)
Finarafin Treesong (Tree Hugger)
ToM (Lowtown Priest, Spiritual Guide of the down trodden)

ChaoticDrow
10:04:23 PM 11/12/14
Code Breaker

Registered Member #17124
Another sealed letter makes its way to Styvn, written in the same scribbly print and left unsigned.

Styvn, I bear some more news. According to the Loremaster, I have learned that a Tirothian ship was spotted by some of the Greenvale Rangers in the south. He is not sure if things are related, but if the Tiroth and Thayans are both active, it is something to keep an eye out for. Possibly keep an eye on the Red Mage in the Drakamyre as well. I have more thoughts and ideas I'd rather not pen down, whenever you have time from your duties to meet.

Garrik "Bear" Brennan
[ image disabled ]
Thranduil Greenleaf
09:15:17 PM 11/19/14

Registered Member #1145
After meeting with Garrik, Styvn decides to travel to Greenvale and speak with one of their high rangers about what their scouts saw off the south coast. Using his diplomatic authority he easily gains an audience with the high ranger stationed in the Queen's Chamber.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ Edited 09:16:43 PM 11/19/14 ]

Styvn-elf, Tel'Varataurie. -Clickedy- (player loggin = Thranduil Greenleaf) -Clickedy-

Roklynd Elendili-half elf, servant of Mielikki. (player loggin = Kun tao)

Theven Nimblfingers-halfling, lock & trap master. (player loggin = Gregor Wyrmbane)

Bob Johnson-human, large meat shield. (player loggin = Kun Tao)

Bor'el Greenleaf-elf, healer, priest of Corellon. (player loggin = Kun Tao)

Edan Amandil-human, healer. (player loggin = Gregor Wyrmbane)

John Smith-human, blacksmith. (player loggin = Gregor Wrymbane)

Rosco Underhill-halfling, "Underhill family" hit man. (player loggin = Gregor Wrymbane)[/color]

Kings are fools, and nations of men greater fools, to do the bidding of such men and be commanded by their pettiness.... and to die for their whims.
Ogreman007
12:10:21 PM 11/20/14
'Lupi made me do it

Registered Member #175
{A letter is delivered to Khalador in the Drakamyre:}

My Lord,

I would ask that you inform the trader (or the contact) that we are willing to negotiate the terms of his deal. I would not sell ourselves to his every will, however we need to show that we are willing to assist with the proposed efforts even if we are disappointed that we are only learning of them now. One cannot deny that we are in the stronger position in these negotiations even if we can not expect every demand to be agreed to as we may give it. We have nothing to lose by refusing - nothing that we already have in any case.

Please alert me as soon as there are any developments or if a meeting is to be arranged between I and the contact of the trader. The least we might do is offer them our greatest hospitality? It is more than they will find anywhere else on this rock.

~signed~ Colonel D. Chambers.

Stories of Dwentiness (mostly for my reference: incomplete):

~|~ One Man and His God ~|~ Of Gold and Ravens ~|~ The Red General ~|~No Business Link Gnoll Business ~|~ Witness the Might of Thay ~|~ Dwent's Gamble: Everything to Lose ~|~ The evil that men do (iv) ~|~ Centuries of ash (a minor role in the overall story but very important in Dwent’s development.) ~|~ Opening a can of Demons ~|~ The evil that men do (pt 3) ~|~ Dune(s) ~|~ The Red Project ~|~ Fallout ~|~ Red Memoirs (credit to Payne for this account on Davenshire’s Destruction) ~|~ The Screaming Bandit ~|~ Power Struggle ~|~ Southern Expansion ~|~ The evil that men do (pt. 2) ~|~ By the Light of Thay ~|~ Betrayal: a Friend or a Nation? ~|~ Plans of Expansion ~|~ The Best of the Rest ~|~ A Change of Face (includes the murder of Leonard’s parents) ~|~ The evil that men do
~|~
Music for Dwent - Turisas: Fear the Fear

Information about the Thayan Guild on Thain

Want to get involved but not sure how? Just ask!

[ image disabled ]
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top