| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Jandari
09:20:06 AM 07/18/19
I hope they don't screw it up.

Vaeltava
06:10:35 PM 07/17/19
Well, that's some news, Jandari.

Jandari
03:46:49 PM 07/17/19

wisdombeyondages
03:09:14 PM 07/17/19
Its part of why so many dont post much. I am 10-12 hours behind on posts.

scratch_flannigan
02:48:12 PM 07/17/19
Good to see you back, Zhymm !

Jandari
01:02:18 PM 07/17/19
I feel your pain, Zhymm.

Zhymm
11:39:30 AM 07/17/19
Decided to drop in, started going through all the forum posts, mainly IC stuff, since my last visit. Whew, that was a lot of reading. Well, more like 'skimming' than reading. I think I'm caught up on events since my last visit months ago. How do you folks generate so much content so quickly? It takes my hours just to create and compose a 'short' IC post.

Daenre
09:45:30 PM 07/15/19
hey all been a long time since I poked my head in, still haven't gotten round to getting the remaster of nwn, but I miss this place terribly. one day I'll get the upgrade xD hope you all are having fun and are still making some awesome stories together

Falkala
02:04:51 PM 07/15/19
-Clickedy- Thain Patreon is up, for those who would like to help us with the server costs.

Jandari
10:51:59 AM 07/15/19

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Kell -- Scribbles from the Journal
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Dogbert, Inq_Damocles, Falkala, Payne, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
This thread is now closed
Author Post
Traveler121
11:29:17 AM 08/17/14
Registered Member #23855
Apologies in advance for edits in the journal. I will try to keep them to a minimum, but will not note a reason when the correction is minor (typos, adding sig, etc.). The reason for any substantive changes will be noted at the bottom of the post.

Since coming to the Isle, I have encountered creatures that never I knew as I walked the borders of wood and meadow in the lands of my home beyond the waves. Many have attacked the towns here with a rhythm that hints at something more concerted than I can see. Perhaps as I reflect, the puzzle will take form. In the meantime, I have learned skills I never thought to learn. So much, so fast, amid a scramble of short but eventful forays. . . . Already my memory weaves the times and places wrong, as images of all I know of this place -- its cities, varied terrain and and horrid caves; the attacks and events become blurred. Certainly many of the caves are so much alike that I would be lost without the Dwarves and Hin with whom I jouney. Perhaps in time my notes may help me see what larger picture tugs at my thought, that is not yet fully clear.

Sandburrow
Human kind, lightfoot elves,
The halfling one and dwarven kin
Heedless all run into Night
Together bear the bloody flight
To aid the land of Hin.

It began as a search for ingredients for the potion maker, in caves that, as always, I feared to enter. Max, Merum, Stroth and I fought our way through duergar, then found ourselves deep, horribly underground, in a land of drow. Things we discovered about them that I will not detail here, except to say we found a note talking of a planned raid on the Hin's City, for which we were alarmed; and a determination to slay Elves whereever they might be found. Our effort served us well until a room where we found ourselves outnumbered, and all tactics overwhelmed. We wakened then on the beach at Sandburrow, shredded, sick and barely pulled back from the brink by the light of its stone.

Some time we lay, recovering. Then taking the northward road, we encountered another drow, who also spoke of a raid on the land of the Hin. Him we slew when we could get no more word of the plans. There followed much fear amid darkness and snow where neither should have been, as we fled to the Trade, for many folk meet there, and we sought news.

News we gleaned and gave, fast followed by skirmish, as creatures of darkness spawned in our midst. Once they were hard dispatched and we bound our wounds, we learned that a drow priestess, companion of the one we slew, had slipped away and was making toward Sandburrow to carry out some plan there seeking a red gem imbued of a shadow? I am not sure, for I was guarding and not much in the discussions. We gave chase, while Vic and Cain remained at Crossroads; for still we feared for Sandburrow. With us were Max, Stroth, Merum, Idunna, Sydney, and Thrailith, I think. We fought through many ambushes by drow and the drow-spiders, in snow and horrid uncanny darkness.

Arriving at Sandburrow it seemed near abandoned, with fallen townsfolk in places. Max tracked the priestess we sought. With Idunna, he learned from a boy of the fate of the gem, e're that boy was slain by the priestess, striking from the shadows. They gave chase, but she slipped away amid a fierce attack from spawns out of darkness, all around. We were scattered by the onslaught, and some slid to brink of death before being called again to life by priestly words; but we prevailed. All were wounded, and much let down by the condition of the town, and failing to confront the drow priestess.

In the dawn, we found that the townsfolk had hid in their secret places, in their tunnels and abodes, and not so many were slaughered as we thought. That at least was heartening. Now I have named my enemy. I shall no longer fear the places beneath the earth, though I do not love them. But the drow I shall hunt, as ever my aim becomes more sure.

[added subtitle]

[ Edited 02:07:47 PM 02/05/15 ]

Kellenri - Elven Archer, Tel'Varataurie, Weaver of Words. (Portrait) Kell Scribbles From the Journal There's No Business Like Gnoll Business Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves Weave, Source and Tainted Song
Icehelm - Northern Sword-Swinger "Live with Abandon!" Snaedottir's Saga
Gaelrien - Deep Woodland Spiritwalker Way of the Earth Servant - Lema en i'Ceventaur

Winner 2014 "Best Party (Group/gameplay RP): Maxim, Kellenri, Stroth and Merum"
Winner 2015 "Best Heroine: Kellenri" * "Best RPer" * "Best Forum Storyteller"
Winner 2016 "Best Forum Storyteller" * "Best Player-run Plot, Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves - with Corlupi"

Traveler121
12:51:39 PM 11/16/14
Registered Member #23855
11-14-14

Davenshire
Have a care what words you speak to the universe. I met, this week, a thing that was like, yet unlike a drow. I did not slay it, and left the exchange wondering if I had betrayed myself and Elven kind. Exchange did I say? Speaking with a dark one instead of shooting it? Yet there was something about it that was not all drow-like. Maybe my time apart in thought has addled my head, for I know not why I stayed my hand. A spell, perhaps, it put on me? Things are not simple here, and I let it go, for I think it not all that is seems to be. But if I find it ever ranged against the friends of elves, I will slay it without remorse.

There was also a remarkable spirit of nature, a badger. Oft animals, or even trees will find voice to speak with those who can hear, but I am not one of those who easily understands the words of animals, so the encounter was uncommon.

I traveled then with Max to Davenshire, for our thoughts have turned of late to that lost place. We found a growing malaise there. The creatures of shadow multiply; but there were also voices on the wind--eerie and fell-- that compelled us to run into the dark. Had we done so, we surely would have been separated and lost. But we stood with the dwarven guards and fought things that haunt the place. Alas, the guards fell, and were taken away e'er we could bury them. To tell Stroth was a hard thing. We return with a message to Hammersong from the Dwarven leader posted at the Davenshire mines.

[added subtitle]

[ Edited 11:53:02 AM 12/31/14 ]

Kellenri - Elven Archer, Tel'Varataurie, Weaver of Words. (Portrait) Kell Scribbles From the Journal There's No Business Like Gnoll Business Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves Weave, Source and Tainted Song
Gaelrien - Deep Woodland Spiritwalker Way of the Earth Servant - Lema en i'Ceventaur

Winner 2016 "Best Forum Storyteller" * "Best Player-run Plot, Mereth en Draugrim-Feast of Wolves - with Corlupi"

Traveler121
01:00:16 PM 11/16/14
Registered Member #23855
11-15-14

Vasheral Cave
Thinking to lessen the load for the young Empyreans who guard Hamley, we went to the spider lairs in the woods north, and slew the foul creatures to our hearts content. And yes, they crawled in greater numbers than once were there. Max teases that dwarves eat spider legs -- landcrabs he calls them. I believed it, in spite of my doubts, until Stroth was startled at my query. Disgusting! Where does Max come up with these things?

We met a traveler who thought to have help fighting the pirates of the eastern coast, and the event has left me ill-tempered and determined to return. Once, with Stroth, Merum and a sturdy soldier, we nearly cleared the place, but their lord and leader got away. When the four of us returned we had a plan that worked, and slew all inside. But some escaped to the rocks by the sea I think, for they are back, with a new lord; and he, too, has gathered Casters to him. This time just the stout traveler named Marzell, Max and myself returned. We cleared all the hideout to the inner rooms of the leader. There, we thought our plan was good, but the vile priests are stronger now, and we were overcome by their spells. I found myself barely with breath, by the stone of the gods at Sandburrow, and angry enough to decide to live. Max, too was there, and after some rest and healing, we made our way, much spent, by cart to crossroads. There we found our companion, who had fared much the same. We agreed we will return to the pirates together. I shall train, and perhaps find an arrow crafted just for their lord.

[added subtitle]

[ Edited 11:54:37 AM 12/31/14 ]

Traveler121
06:51:08 PM 12/20/14
Registered Member #23855
11-29-14

Davenshire
Stroth it was who gave me that arrow. He gifted me with a set of Ironspine Gutcutters, and in the end they made all the difference -- twice. For when Max and I took Stroth and Merum to Davenshire to show them our findings, it had changed yet again, and we encountered forty-five to 60 Slaad. How many for certain it is hard to know, for some have the skill of creating wrinkles in space, and they transported us from place to place as we were fighting. Together or alone, we were always surrounded.

In the darkest part of night that we found ourselves separated, fighting for our lives with between fifteen and twenty of the creatures to each of us. More arrived or were summoned always, and it was chaotic. Stroth went down. I pulled him up, and managed a bandage before we were swept apart. Later he returned the favor when I was hit in the head and lost consciousness. Merum I never heard, but that would be usual. There was no time to pick positions of advantage and work the fight; it was mayhem.

How he managed, I will never know, but when we were spread furthest over the area of the old Hin town, knowing nothing of each other except yells and cries, Max found the others, and brought them to a place I had found to fight from. I waited between two fence rails that limited the number that could attack at once, shooting hard. Once all were there, we sighted what seemed the weakest place in the mass, and broke out together. We made it to the mine, and rested within, cleaning wounds and re-bandaging. That day we healed, while Merum, less hurt than we, scouted the area. So it was, that by the time we could travel it was night again, taking us into the swamp. Compared with our previous night, it was uneventful.

Unwilling to halt our journeys just yet, we rested a full day at the Trade, repairing weapons and armor. Merum left us, then, but the dwarves were pent up after running from Slaad. I mentioned Max's and my last encounter with the Vasheral, and that was all they needed. The three of us went to their fortified caves, and dealt with the pirates there. I slew their high leader, and took his helm to sell. I wish for more Gutcutters, and they are not cheap. Now the shipping lanes may be safer, for awhile.

Hamley
K
>

[Edited for paragraph artifact / subtitle]

[ Edited 12:08:56 PM 12/31/14 ]

Traveler121
02:07:17 PM 12/21/14
Registered Member #23855
Early December 2014

A tree I have seen, and I cannot forget its song.

Feywood
K
>

[added mark]

[ Edited 12:11:34 PM 12/31/14 ]

Traveler121
02:29:43 PM 12/21/14
Registered Member #23855
December 5-14 2014

Planar Battles, Chase for Draxus, Steinkreis Sieges
At last I can pause to journal events of recent weeks that have rained adversity upon us. Until now, there was little time to write. The days are a blur of planar rifts, chase, retreat, heal, siege, heal. There are also the attacks and taunting of the tiefling Red, which are connected. I have shared in actions to hold at bay creatures that no sane being should have to see. Why is this little isle so beseiged?

Rifts to the lower planes have opened at Crossroads, Devonshire, and Steinkreis, pouring out spawn from the hells, evil and devouring. Always there are those who will fight them, and in time the rift is closed, or closes. Then we retreat to heal and gather strength until a new one opens somewhere. And we fight what comes, again.

Woven between this, as a spider might weave a web, was the kidnapping of the Queen, and Draxus. The queen was saved, though we were too late to keep her from harm, alas! Draxus is gone. He is gone, who was the last Celestial on Thain. His body was broken and desecrated; his soul taken by Red and his allies. Between attacks of the planar creatures, we have seached for his soul with others who know the isle far better than we: Lomir the arcanist, Lionel who fights and conjures, and the ranger Styvn. That one I will look to, for he is true hearted, and knows the spirit of the woods like no elf that I have met here before him.

Woven again, another strand -- the Sieges of Steinkries. Twice we were within city walls when planar creatures came against it, with fire, spell, and weapons. My mind and bow arm grow stronger, for I seldom fail to hit creatues that once I could not bear to look upon. I was burned, and would be scarred but for the priest's healing. Nearly we lost Stroth, Max, Lionel, Styvn and others whom I know. Many knights have fallen. How will they hold against prolonged attack, should it come?

This, then, stands most in my mind for now.

Hamley
K
>

[added subtitle, mark]

[ Edited 12:12:40 PM 12/31/14 ]

Traveler121
12:54:35 PM 12/25/14
Registered Member #23855
12-14-14

Search for Draxus' Soul, the Maze

The air among some friends has been tight with tension. After days of hints and teases of happenings that were mostly veiled from me, I learned that there was a challenge for Amadom to try to redeem Draxus' soul. As the challenge was from Red, I had no faith in their response even should we prevail; but nontheless, we could not abandon our friend. With my usual companions of late I joined a group to follow him into the sewers of Steinkreis, into a maze that looked like a layer of a lower world.

The air was red with rift magic, as we fought hellspawn and resisted their spells amid the catwalks and sewers under the city. It was a group effort to resist the attacks, and find passage past barriers of blades, traps, and at one point a gynosphinx, who held the key to a door we must pass.

We were battered somewhat, but better for working together, when we arrived at an endpoint, held by the demon Ahaezahr. In the end, Lomir treated with it, but it had not the soul to give us. Compelled to speak true, it said the soul had been given to Gorrath, whereupon Lomir banishshed him -- to the Celstial plane. Ironic, that. Amadom was safe, but the soul of Draxus was out of our reach.

Red and Sorrath toy with us, like cats with a mouse.

Steinkreis
K
>

[added subtitle]

[ Edited 12:13:47 PM 12/31/14 ]

Traveler121
08:40:46 PM 12/25/14
Registered Member #23855
12-17-14

Capture by Gnolls

I have not written of our trips to the gnoll fortress, amid the more immediate threat of Red, Sorrath, Halla, and the planar rifts. Twice, in lulls between planar incursions, Stroth, Max, Merum and I ventured to the gnoll fortress to learn what we might, and there found crates marked Ravenswatch. That gave us pause. Some weeks later we chanced on Styvn on a road near Feywood, holding in check a party of Thayans bound north with a goodly amount of supplies. In the end some were sent off by their leader toward the north-south road, and I suggested we "escort" the leader and supplies to Khalidor, as a courtesy. Little else could we do without upsetting the precarious tension between groups, that I know too little of to tamper with. As we bide in Hamley, Max and I now watch traffic on the road.

In what should have been a routine hunt with Max nigh a week ago in the Feywood, I was prey to an attack and capture that was meant to bring sweeter meat to the gnolls. True, they intended to slay me as well, but Max and especially Styvn are greater thorns in their sides, and these too, they sought. At least a full night I sat tied, witness to their taunts and cruelty. Wounded as I was, some of the ordeal is dim; but this I know: their numbers are increased; their target was the three of us; and they spoke of their "friends in red".

Max, it seems, hunted through the night, leading about twenty or thirty gnolls in a chase away from the camp where I was held, fighting them two and three at a time. Other gnolls were mauled by the gerdamish hounds, and yet others killed each other fighting over I know not what. Just before Max broke through, I worked my way free. Weak and bled thin, I was of little help, but to aid the nearly dead druid Jandar, and scout who were thrown to the ground near me some time in the night. I rest now, for a time. It was a harsh ordeal, and the memory of it fades but slowly. Yet a thing about this tugs at my mind. Something to do with Ravenswatch, or is it ...? I cannot remember. [details: -Clickedy- ]

Hamley
K
>

[sentence structure 06/2015
link 10/2015]

[ Edited 01:14:13 AM 10/24/15 ]

Traveler121
03:00:19 PM 12/27/14
Registered Member #23855
12-21-14

Fall of Gorrath
After the numbing months of planar rifts and sieges at the hand of Gorrath -- woven with hardship wrought by Red, Sorrath and Halla -- Gorrath at least is gone. For a time he held the soul of Draxus, delivered to him by Red or Sorrath, after we lost the Celestial to their hands. But Draxus it was not, and of that I may now write. It was the soul of the gold dragon Wy'tear'rap, whose scales I have touched. (For after the chase when we failed to reclaim Draxus, the great Gold delivered us on his back to Crossroads, seeking Lomir, and then to the Queen. Of all the wonders of this life, the spirit of the woodlands is most dear, but second to that must be flying on the back of a being so special.)

But as for events -- In private audience with Queen Yu'siu we were told of how, when they knew the threat to Draxus, Wy'tear'rap chose to sacrifice himself to save him. By arcane means they contrived to trade one body for the other before the Queen and Draxus were taken. It was Wy'tear'rap in the Celestial's form who was seized from us, and whom we sought in after hours and weeks. We were charged with this secret by the Queen, and I could not write it before.

And of Gorrath, thinking we strode to our own deaths, companions of unlike bearing and motive united to destroy him, an enemy of all Thain. Of those that were there, Max, Stroth, Merum, Styvn, Lionel, Lomir, Amadom, Orin, Tagnus and Sillia I know in some measure. And Daniel and Rishkin, who give my heart warning. There were many others. We planned to take the fight to them in the lower planes, but they came before us to the Northlands Village, the charge of Ariana, and we hastened there. How do I write of the chaos that ensued?

There in the frozen north we gave battle, intense and desperate. We fought on snow red with blood amid the screams of demons and battering blasts of spells and counterspells, wrenching body and spirit. I was pulled from the muck once by Styvn, though I don't remember falling. Once I found him, near death in the frozen gore, and used magic of lifestone and blessed bandages to pull him back. The same scene I saw played across the field as we faced the onslaught, and I lost all track of Max, Stroth and Merum in the utter chaos. In the end the companions prevailed but at what cost! Many Hin, Dwarves, Elves and soldiers lie dead. Red, Sorrath, and Halla were dispatched, for a time. I myself gave Sorrath her last arrow, for all that it will matter. Would that it could have been done in the Abyss, and so made sure! But at last, Gorrath was brought down, and bound.

Through a portal we followed Lomir and the Queen to a plane where we would seek the soul of Wy'tear'rap, and finish our task. We found ourselves in a room containing an obelisk, and filled with hovering lights of the lost souls taken by the evil one. Gorrath was imprisoned in the obelisk, I think. At the Queen's command, Styvn searched among the lights for the soul of the Gold. I guarded while Max gave counsel as asked. As Daniel placed himself behind Yu'siu I slipped between them, for I have heard his words and they are dark -- I feared for her, and confess I wondered if having come this far, I would have a blade in my back e're all was done.

When Styvn found the soul he sought, there were words between the Queen and Lomir, that I heard not. The mages worked to fracture the obelisk, but the queen ordered us out. I was loath to leave for Lomir might have need of aid. But in the end I heeded her word, and stumbled from the portal with waves of Weave at my back. Behind, in the room the deed was done, that she had gainsaid -- Lomir destroyed the obelisk, and with it Gorrath. So much force was released in that small place that two of our own were flung from the portal when it was finished. One was Daniel, the other Stroth who had stayed with Lomir. Outside beyond the portal, care was given to Wy'tear'rap. Of that I will hold my thoughts, but to say it is clear that he has suffered much, and my heart still aches with what I saw.

These words in no way paint a picture of the horrors we faced, and the deeds done. But at last it was over, and the Queen took us to her halls, and there rewarded each for their aid. Now I am troubled in my mind, for it was the Queen's wish not to destroy Gorrath, at the end. I wonder, what was her thought in this? My heart is divided, for we have suffered hard at his hand, and my counsel to her at the end was to destroy him. Now she is troubled, and I wonder if it was well done. Yet the lost souls are free, and Gorrath is gone. There will always be a hole when such a one falls, and those to fill it.

Once I gave my caution to Lomir, that we walk not in the ways of those we would defeat. Did we? And the vacancy on Gorrath's throne? What have we done?

Feywood, Elven Stronghold
K
>

[added subtitle, mark]

[ Edited 12:05:25 AM 06/01/15 ]

Traveler121
09:33:29 PM 12/30/14
Registered Member #23855
12-27-14

I have been to a hidden wood, a place so fair that I think I shall not be free of longing for it. Styvn brought me there, and I sat in its beauty, while my heart danced with the light, and soft shadows, and breezes, and beings of the place. There also is an extraordinary tree, different from the first I saw. Beside it we sat in the song of it's branches and spoke of things we know. Seldom may I travel there, for it is by the grace of the ranger that I enter. But always my heart will be glad in thought of it, and it will bring me courage in adversity to recall it's beauty.

Hamley
K
>

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top