| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Oberon
09:08:16 AM 02/17/20
Mattews, Thain dicord here: -Clickedy-

scratch_flannigan
12:34:56 PM 02/16/20
Nature Night begins in about 1.5 hours from the time of this post. That will be 2pm CST (GMT -6).

Please check page 1 of the Nature Night: Phase 4 thread to see the map to the Wild Grove where we meet !

I will be on as Malam. Please shoot a tell to me with any questions.

Twirlip
07:21:59 AM 02/16/20
We seem to have a bit of a faction problem with some shop keepers in the city being somewhat less than customer friendly.

Corlupi
10:28:15 AM 02/15/20
T minus 2 hours.

Corlupi
06:32:18 AM 02/15/20
Tonight's Darkfey Prison event begins 6 hours from this message. Remember to bring your favourite goodly elf or disguised neer-do-well.

Rodgr Thunderguts
12:23:56 PM 02/14/20
That's awesome Jewwe, thanks !

dontyouknow
11:38:10 AM 02/14/20
Thank you for keeping our little world alive, Jewwe. You rock!

jewwe
02:52:50 AM 02/14/20
Hey guys! In 4-5 hours time, I'll be taking the server offline for a couple of hours to do the following:

Change the powersupply, as it sounds like it's dying.

Remove a harddrive, so that I have nothing personal stored on the server anymore.

Move the server into its new home, in the utility room.

The process should be done in a couple of hours. I'm also setting up a new router, which should be relatively painless, but you never know!
Anyway, I'm aiming for a couple of hours. Thanks!

Scarlet
06:53:34 PM 02/11/20
will be a few minutes late for necro night

Cuchuwyn
06:19:44 PM 02/11/20
Necro Night will begin in about 45 minutes at Jerrit’s tomb. See you there!

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
How far do you go for your Lord and Nation
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Inq_Damocles, Just Miggen, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, Oberon, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Glognar
04:56:49 PM 04/05/14

Registered Member #267
Who am I?

My name is Etrich. Born into the noble house of Zurn in the city of Eltabbar, capital in the nation of Thay.

I were at an early age involved in my families business. The Zurn are known for acquisition and basic obedience training of slaves. With my first capture I fell in love. There are few things that are so satisfying as to look into the eyes of someone and see how the spark and shine vanishes in fear as they realizes that all hope is lost and they will never be free again.

The life of the nobles are a relative good one. Not like the ones of the Red Wizards but far from that of the soldiers. Most would probably have been satisfied with my life but I wished for more.
Joining the wizard ranks were no option for me as you do not join them, you get selected at an early age if you show signs of arcane talent, which I had not. The other options you have are either to join the military and work your way up to officer ranks or working your way up in the clergy.

The life of a soldier have never seemed attractive to me and I have all my life looked up to Kossuth. He seldom make contact with his followers but those who are faithful and strong are given great rewards, to no great surprise I joined the clergy and the Flaming Brazier of Eltabbar the largest temple of Kossuth in all the realms.

“If your enemy defies you, serve him steel and fire. But if he bends the knee, you must help him back to his feet, else no man will ever kneel to you.” —Tywin Lannister, A Song of Ice and Fire

Jachal Ashby - Retired REDACTED from Steinkreis
Nathaniel Fynn - Celestial Knight and archer from Hamley
Etrich Zurn - Cleric of Kossuth - Portrait of Etrich
IC threads: How far do you go for your Lord and Nation The supreamacy of Fire The Domination of Thain Must Start Somewhere...
Don Namara - "The shifter - friend and confidant of Razon *a vague description follows but that could fit a few faces*."
Glognar
09:24:42 AM 04/12/14

Registered Member #267
Some years later.

I had just taken the Oath of Firewalking and become one of the Promised when I heard rumors that someone would be dispatched to the island of Thain. A Colonel of the former enclave on the island had recently visited Thay and asked for any who could aid in the current situation.

I were eager to be chosen as it would mean more opportunists to advance in the church, as a person and expand the greatness of Thay.

The decision took longer then I would have liked. I almost had given up hope for that anyone in the church would be dispatched but that only made the joy greater when I received the message that I would be the one to travel to this far off island.

I quickly packed up the few things I would be able to take with me for the journey, went by my families house and said my farewells and sat out on the road.

A journey across most of the known world is no easy or quick task, unless you are traveling through portals, which I were not. But of course if anyone asks; my heritage, god and Thay made the trip easy and comfortable as a breeze on a warm summers eve.

“If your enemy defies you, serve him steel and fire. But if he bends the knee, you must help him back to his feet, else no man will ever kneel to you.” —Tywin Lannister, A Song of Ice and Fire

IC threads: How far do you go for your Lord and Nation The supreamacy of Fire The Domination of Thain Must Start Somewhere...
Don Namara - "The shifter - friend and confidant of Razon *a vague description follows but that could fit a few faces*."
Glognar
09:49:50 AM 04/12/14

Registered Member #267
Arrival.

"Finally, solid ground!" were my first thought on this island known as Thain. I did not know what to expect. I knew for certain that no one would welcome me as no one surly knew for certain that I had arrived. The first few days I spent close to the harbor village I arrived to and the close-by gathering place I now know is refereed to as "The Crossroads".

I had been told that many of the remaining members of the old enclave were considered outlaws because of some small thing involving Halflings. Why people care so much about the short, annoying creatures they are is beyond me.

However.

I heard about one place where all manner of people, creatures and beasts had a safe heaven, The Fort of Raven's Watch.

During my second week on the island I made my way there. A little to my surprise I med both the Colonel who had made the initial request for more men and a Red Wizard. I caught them as they were on their way out on a trip with a group of randomly assembled people and beasts. To make a good first impression I immediately offered my skills as a priest to the group or rather to the Colonel and the Red Wizard.

Glognar
02:56:46 PM 04/22/14

Registered Member #267
Future plans.

Colonel Chambers is an interesting man. I have traveled some with him now but I am not yet sure of who he actually takes orders from or where his true loyalty lies. With Thay of course but to whom...

He did show me what seems to be the last holding that we have on this island. It is in an area known as Drakamyre. A place full of undead, malar panthers, mephits and werewolves. Nothing much to brag about or even call a holding really. It will however serves as my home for the time. It is the safest and most secure place on this island.

I have not met many more of our own people, only the Colonel and the two Red Wizards, Kha'Zorka Tirthus and Kaerialis Khalador. Khalador is seated at his tower in Drakamyre. Strangely enough many of the adventurers do not seem to mind that he is of Thay as they are more then happy to spend their gold at his store.

That is something I find to greatly strengthening our position especially with the plans of the future I and the Colonel discussed. Those who cared enough about the halflings are hopefully long gone from this island and will not cause any more trouble for us. Speaking about the future. We will wait some time for the news to reach the remaining Red Wizards that are on the island or those who would return upon the news of a possible bright future. Good times lies before our feet.

Glognar
03:25:37 PM 04/22/14

Registered Member #267
Connections.

I have begun exploring the island and started to establish connections with the adventurous population as well with the native settlements. I have put myself in the position to accept and ask for menial tasks; Delivery runs, simple investigations and the sorts. My name should now be slightly recognized among certain individuals in some of the major settlements; The trade station in the halfling village of Sandburrow Bay, Morren of Steinkreis, Lord Telmoran of Steinkreis (Not a good reputation as I lost my temper in an argument over pay for tasks successfully accomplished. I will have no luck showing my face in his halls again unless I am looking to be thrown behind bars.), Lady Arianna of the Northlands and Colonel Bennars of Hamley.

Lady Arianna and Colonel Bennars should be rather grateful for my services as it aided in the protection of their settlements from undead attacks in the Northlands and spider attacks in Hamley. I even had to save or at least ease the suffering of one of those paladins of Hamley from lycanthropy. If he made it back to the village or not does not matter to me but if he did they should be grateful for that as well.

I will have to put more of an effort in finding more adventurers who knows of and worships F'tarek, the local entity of fire on this island. I have only found one who claims to worship the lord of fire, a bard named Thimns, an annoying and insane person who never thinks before he speaks or so it may seem. I do not know if it is intentionally or not but he say what it is you wish to hear and other times there is no end to his nonsense rambling.

Glognar
03:53:02 PM 04/22/14

Registered Member #267
The power of Fire.

It is a very good day. Colonel Chambers have tasted the power of the true god.

It began as a trip to the shrine of F'tarek. A trip we had been talking about for some time. The shrine is located on the Grey Iron mountain in a territory claimed by a large and powerful tribe of orcs. They are generally refereed to as High Orcs. Not to go into too much of detail we ended up negotiating a deal with a lone orc who claimed to be a slave to a rival tribe. Fortunately as it later would turn out the Colonel did most of the bargain as I saw no point in even have a conversation with the beast. We agreed to aid him in his wish to be free and return to his own tribe.

We did some scouting, sneaking and killing of orcs until we came to what we had agreed, killed the beasts master. What the creature did not understand is how the life of a slave works. The one who kills a slaves master becomes it's new master and needless to say neither the Colonel or me had any intentions to let the beast walk. Colonel Chambers did not see much use for it as they really are not that trustworthy as guards and at this stage it is too soon to collect arrow bait for an upcoming army so he let the creature over to me.

The beast were under the effect of a paralyzation spell as it had tried to escape a bit earlier. As we were at the shrine to the god of fire I saw it fit to make a offering. As the beast stood unable to move or make any kind of sounds for help the fer and panic was clear in it's eyes as he watched the preparations of a bonfire. It was glorious to watch the beast burn at the center of the fire. Despite it was unable to speak or move the pain it felt could almost be felt in the air.

[ image disabled ]
((Screenshot borrowed from Ogre without his knowledge. Hope it's alright! ))

A worthy sacrifice.

Glognar
04:39:28 PM 04/22/14

Registered Member #267

The day was here. The Red Wizards have had plenty of time to travel to the island to join the Colonel and Lord Khalador and I in the journey from Drakamyre, down the mountain to the area where the plans of the future lies. We met up at Khalador's tower, the colonel was already waiting when I arrived, we prepared ourselves and waited for any of the Red Wizards to show up. Since I had not seen or met any of the Red Wizards from old I had little hopes they would show interest in this day either, and frankly I do not know if I really cared much. If they do not show they will have to go with whatever happens.

A new face to me entered the tower before we were about to leave. Lady Dominique I later learned her name was.

As have become a habit with the Colonel he tasked me with the protection of the most important Red Wizard in the group and this time it were Lord Khalador and his niece, Jenala. The journey were slow and more eventful then anyone would have liked I was sure. Malar panthers came at us one after the other it seemed but despite that I had a lot of time to think. Something I had done since the plans were first formed. In Thay and Eltabbar I am one of the lower ranking priests on Kossuth and nowhere near the rank of what would be necessary to bring the plans together but here on this island I am the highest ranking priest, which ultimately gives me the right to advance but I need to learn to act accordingly, I need to learn to assess a situation better on my own.

The end of the journey were an area currently inhabited by bugbears who worship "The Darkness Below" whatever that is. We had to slaughter quite few of them before they gave up and stopped coming at us and we could begin to explain the plan.

[ image disabled ]

If I were not sure before I certainly am now. The Colonel's loyalty lies with Lord Khalador. There is little doubt as he so clearly stated that this was -his- plan. Yes, the Colonel saw the first potential but without me there is no plan.

The briefing went well and after I -helped- the Colonel to explain the plan, Khalador saw the potential of it and recognized my role.

There is much work to be done and first the task lies with the Red Wizards, whom I have seen little of, to investigate the riftstone taint that lie upon the area and work out a method to remove it. There is also the matter of the bugbears allegiance. They can not worship this dark god if we are to use them.

Glognar
05:15:44 PM 04/22/14

Registered Member #267
Haunted ruins.

Rumors of a man named Gharos have been interesting me for some time and the latest note peaked my interest even further. I was fortunate to meet him by chance at the crossroads fire where we began to converse.

His name has never been brought up by the Colonel even as this man clearly is part of the Thayan history on the island. To be frank, not much about the past have been said by the Colonel at all and I have not asked much about it.

During our conversation I offered my interest in joining the group Gharos would assemble to journey to the old Enclave. As is the thing with rumors they can be rather outdated and so was the case here, the journey had already taken place some time ago. Despite this he offered to take me to the site and show me what had become of the brave men who gave their lives defending the soil and people of Thay.

I were a bit astounded at the sight of the ruins. I can not say I understand what might have happened to them, not even after everything Gharos told me regarding the events that occurred at the Enclave and the visit to the old halfling village.

We stayed a length of time at the rift in the old halfling village where I were told Gharos tale of what happened and the efforts he had made to cure the area of the dark influences that had infested there after the attack.

His real motives if they are others then he stated for doing this are hidden for me but I can not more then agree that the men who died defending the enclave do not deserve the pain and torment they currently suffers and something must be done about it. Given Gharos previous success I am in no doubt that he will succeed in the tasks he has taken upon himself to solve.

I see a major benefit in aiding him in this endeavor, if the plans at the bugbears fail we might gain a bit of acceptance in the public eye if we healing the land for "the greater good of the island" and the area of the old enclave might be ours again. The setback of aiding might also be more bad publicity, that we are trying to sweep our doings under the rug, so to speak.

However I am certain there is a clear reason that I have not heard of Gharos so I am questioning myself if the Colonel really needs to know about this. I will have to think this through.

Glognar
11:43:50 AM 04/27/14

Registered Member #267
Setback.

I decided to bring up the subject of the old enclave and the aftermath of the curse that prevents our men to find peace with the colonel. His first reaction were if I had seen that blasted notice. A good start on a conversation, he were clearly not that pleased with my concerns and wish to aid them. Gharos is a traitor in his eyes and per definition maybe he is but still the only one who actively working towards lifting the curse.

The Colonel keep talking about our plans and how it must move forward and yet it only seems he is obsessed with his own agenda which surly has some foundation in an order from someone and the lack of Red Wizard presence he dared to tell me that I am "free" to pursue my wishes to aid the men find peace but only if it does not interfere with my other priorities.

Who in the nine hells does he thinks is working hardest towards that goal. I declared from the beginning that I'll get the support but the taint must be lifted and that was clearly Wizard territory.

And what have they done about it? The Colonel told me that he and Kha'Zorka had found a way beneath the area and found a large rift boulder which Kha'Zorka believes to be only the tip of the iceberg. And his expert assessment? It cannot be removed, perhaps some wards could be put up to keep the taint from spreading. And here I were under the impression we all worked towards the same goal, I am beginning to wonder if they are waiting for me to serve them a clean and completed settlement for them to move in to and take over...

Glognar
12:29:46 PM 04/27/14

Registered Member #267
The power of Fire, II.

Some days the gods smile bright upon you. On my way descending the drakamyre mountain I came upon a bugbear priest fighting the mohrgs at the sight of me it did not attack but took shelter from the arrows of my skeleton minions.

When more morghs came at me it actually join in at destroying it and did not take advantage of the situation to attack me. We quickly took down the mohrg and I felt the curiosity to know why it had traveled so far from their holding before I'd put an end to it's miserable life.

[ image disabled ]

As we talked and it stated that he was banished for renouncing the dark god and spoke of the old time where they worshiped F'tarek I began to see the value of the beast being alive especially since it seemed "intelligent" enough to listen to my reasoning. We agreed to help each other out and my part was to show the tribe the power of fire in ending the life of the dark cleric within the holding.

We used the back entrance to gain access as to not kill off too many of the bugbears as they will be useful later. Reaching the underground chambers that were no longer an option we fought and killed every single beast that came at us as, they were blinded by the false powers in this dark god and the poison from the rift stone. The bugbear priest which I later learned had a name, Dukoz, tried to reason with them but they did not listen.

We started to reach the end of the chambers when I saw the boulder the Colonel had spoken of. It was unlike any rift stone I had previously seen and I can only agree that it might only be the tip of a much larger stone running deep into the earth. Still no reason to state it cannot be removed.

The beast priest enlightened me on how they came to turn away from F'tarek and worship this dark god. When the black cleric had first approached them they must already have begun to take the power of fire for granted as they did not had the power to kill the cleric and with that demonstration of superiority and the gifts in weapons were enough for them to turn to this clerics god. It were the black clerics who dug up the rift boulder and tough the beasts how to make new weapons with the rift fragments.

Lastly we entered a cave formation that must be a rift to wherever this energy comes from. If it were not for the wards I suspect that I would have been sucked dry and fallen to my knees waiting for the killing blow of the cleric who were in the center of it. Much to the clerics surprise the beast, Dukoz, had regained much of his faith in the Fire as we had battled our way forward and and grabbed the cleric by the throat and dragged him back to the surface.

We put him on his knees, on display on a rock and waited a moment for the bugbear to come at us before I unleashed the full force of fire upon him for all to see. He screamed in agony as the fire engulfed him. Where were his so called dark god? Nowhere to be seen.

[ image disabled ]

After a brief conversation with a shaman and another priest we left the bugbears to sort this out among themselves. Get as many as possible to see the power of Fire, if they refuse they will be cleansed and purged from the poisonous false beliefs of the dark god. I suspect there will be much smoke and smell of burning flesh coming from this area in the coming days or weeks.

[ Edited 10:00:07 AM 04/26/17 ]

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top