Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Shards
    Shards  2 months ago

Happy New Year!

• Edrick
    Edrick  2 months ago

Happy New Year all!

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

You the man thanks mate

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

There it is!

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

-Clickedy-

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

Anyone have the thain discord link, thankyou

• Payne
    Payne  5 months ago

Edrick... mad

• Edrick
    Edrick  5 months ago

Payne

• !ofAkindGuy2000
    !ofAkindGuy2000  5 months ago

Thanks.

• Glognar
    Glognar  5 months ago

There is! You need to examine the omnidye to find the info. I also think that there is still an error though in one of the numbers.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Witness the Might of Thay

1 2 3 4  last
LAN_402 LAN_403
Ogreman007
11:40:39 pm GMT 03/17/14
Ogreman007 'Lupi made me do it
Registered Member #175 Joined: 5:49:41 pm GMT 07/23/04
The nightmares had long since left the mind.

Visions of torment and terror were not commonplace anymore in the dream-world of the Colonel. They were removed in the ritual that "cleansed his mind". While not entirely purified however, for a long stretch of time peaceful sleep was had, night after night, worry-free and relaxed.

But, in recent times, he could not deny that a new breed of nightmare had infiltrated his mind. Not visions of a dreaded future, nor of what might become of this man. But a twisted reflection of what had been. The reality of circumstances that were already history. The realisation of a simple truth.

Truth cannot be avoided, truth could not be denied, not once its icy claws have pierced a fleshy mind and burrowed its way into every second of sleep and waking moment. Truth is as dreaded to some as a nightmarish beast or the uncertainty of tomorrow. Many can not stand the truth, or deliberately seek to avoid learning of it. A known truth cannot be unknown, and the actions associated to it cannot be undone.

Lying awake in his bed fragments of a seemingly-ancient conversation floated deep within his consciousness, swirling back and forth like a ship-wreck caught in a stormy tide. Nothing was as it was when the words were once spoken however: the tide had turned the fragments around and the conversation grew more and more entropic with every passing moment.
Ogreman007
11:44:22 pm GMT 03/17/14
“Strength requires unity in our case. And for Thay, that unity begins at the top. On this island, that is the Khazark. I do not believe... that you can afford to wait to learn of Sephir. Of course, search for him. But who will lead while that takes place?”

“Prove that there is a Might of Thay on the isle, and not just a presence. This political facade we have had for so long has been an embarrassment to us.”

“Only friendships of convenience are useful.”

“But before we expand we need to remind the people on this isle that we are not to be trifled with. The trading post is a clear message they no longer fear us.”

“I do not intend to impose change on you. Gods know you have had your fill and then some in recent years. But the question does deserve an answer. Not for me. But for all of you.”

“I will not follow a soldier...”

The conversation had been lively but civil. In his mind however, the voices flew at him like sharp accusations, scything towards him without a chance of self-defence. Behind every letter was that inescapable truth.

“I will bring Glory to Thay and renew what her name means here, as it once was.”

“May it be so”

“If I step into this role with the support of the Red Wizards, I am unsure how I can fail.”

“Simple: you won’t. If you do you will be conveniently removed before anyone notices.”

Paydon’s deep chuckle erupted, spontaneous and intense like a wild-fire scorching through a parched prairie. Dwent knew well the truth buried deep within it. Recently he had found the Esteemed Paydon again, and while the conversation was pleasant his mind had remained awash with a sense of failure. That was the truth in it all.

They were not lies, the promises he had made. The fact was that he had over-reached himself with his ambitions – he had rushed, he wasn’t ready, nobody was ready… or so he had long-convinced himself. The Thayans were weak and needed strong leadership to bring about change and a restoration of what was, something they saw in their newly appointed Colonel. Something he did not accomplish.

"What is established now is clearly not working"

No-more truer words were spoken during that conversation that were still applicable to this very moment. And now Dwent found himself as a part of the problem rather than the solution: a relic of a dead-time, that couldn't accomplish the tasks at hand even with the authority he'd been given to do so.

"What we need is to go back to a time where we were not so worried about saving face and being politically correct, a re-establishment of our code of laws..."

The words focused Dwent's awareness and in an instant he could concentrate beyond the bounds of this conversation's slippery cycle of repetition, confusion and unforgiving truths.

~

He had intended to sleep on his discussion with the newly-arrived Thayan cleric and decide in the morning what action to take. But kept awake by the realities he could not rescind, the ideas within the discussion with Etrich began to take a new form as a very possible future for all the Thayans who remained on the island, and all those who would come.

A known truth cannot be unknown, and the actions associated to it cannot be undone.
But a man can do what he can to make amends.
The future would bring change, if only they had the will to reach out and grab it.
Ogreman007
8:32:42 pm GMT 03/19/14
He had a feeling that he would not be able to sleep long before he had finally come to lay down on his bed. Something in the back of his mind loomed, knew that his worries would keep him awake. It was an unconscious recognition that couldn't be ignored, and yet the tossing and turning of his mind around the issue of his failed leadership led him to the conclusion that he was not a complete failure ... yet. He would bring up what he had discussed with the young cleric with the Red Wizards at the earliest opportunity. He didn't even know if they could be contacted, if they were even all still alive, and yet he knew he had to try.

Paydon might have something to say about it should the Colonel try to take charge of things: Dwent's hope was that it would be something positive to say. At least he could not deny that Paydon always appreciated action over words and there would be no greater actions than those he envisaged happening now.

He moved towards his rickety desk, something he had salvaged following a bar brawl downstairs. The wooden planks were still splintered and stained in places from the impacts of bottles, barmaids and brains. The Vandals had been quick to act that tonight, and had exceptionally little tolerance for the fools who had dared make a scene in the tavern. One leg was wonky of the four and the desk wobbled in the breeze it was so unstable, yet it would have to do for now as this room was one of the most secure places Dwent could secret himself away without the possibility of prying eyes revealing his intentions. The choice to reside here was one of necessity after all, not luxury.
The Colonel lit a candle on the desk and set to work scribing invitations to his Esteemed masters.

Morning was fast approaching outside. A shard of light braved to enter the silent room and fought its way just as silently into the darkness, gradually succeeding in bringing clarity to the cold interior. The candle had burned down to a half of the size that it started as, and a neat pile of sealed envelopes rested at one end of the poor excuse for a desk. The Colonel had written them in haste, truly, but hoped he had gotten across in his words the urgency of the situation. He could do nothing now but wait, and see whether the delivery methods he had employed would come true in the end and get the letters to their targets.

However, to delay too long would negatively impact on the plans. They could not be rushed, but neither could they be postponed too long. Work had to start - but he would not be so bold as to not even bother trying to consult the Red Wizards.

The Colonel rose from his desk, back stiff and legs aching, and considered if the chair was even more uncomfortable whether it might even leave splinters in his plated armour. There was nothing more to be done but place the envelopes into the hands of his trusted couriers… and hand over the hefty payment of their services.
Ogreman007
8:55:01 pm GMT 03/19/14
On his way downstairs into the main body of the tavern he considered how things might pan out in the near future:

The letter to Etrich was merely a formality, as the cleric was there with Dwent during the discussions of their ambitions. Dwent had left him with the promise that he would call a gathering and so this was the first step in the long road ahead.

The letter to Magister Kha’Zorka would likely not take long to find his hands, resident as he was of the local area. Though his interests and research took him across the more-easily accessible parts of the island, he wouldn’t be difficult to track down and deliver the message to.

The letter to Khazark Paydon would take longer to be delivered, of that Dwent was sure. Paydon claimed to keep himself to the south, in the ruins of the Enclave and the surrounding tainted areas, and so he was not only incredibly elusive but also difficult to reach what with the dangers in the area. Dwent had been assured however that the courier in question would be able to get through unhindered, and had the competence to track even the Esteemed Necromancer. Time would tell.

The remaining letters were addressed to people who Dwent had not seen in a very long time. The first of which was addressed to the Vice Consul, Sar’rel. He was no doubt in Thay, for most of the time, but had previously stated how he travelled the various Thayan settlements across the mainland on a regular basis, and not by any mundane means of travel at that. It could take a long time to track him down, but Dwent was certain that once he was located the Vice Consul would not be long in coming to the island for a briefing of the situation. It would be good to try to gain more influence and the attention of the homeland for resources and assistance, but that had long-been a difficult thing to manage on this backwater island.

Another with whom Dwent had received no contact from was the apprentice, Lady Dominique. A letter too would be placed in the hands of a courier, charged with tracking her down on the island, if she still remained. Dwent had forgotten to speak to Paydon about her when they had met briefly before, but there was no reason to suspect she would have departed since Paydon still remained. Though not addressed to her as an apprentice, Dwent had taken the liberty to assume she had already surpassed the station of an apprentice and was herself a Red Wizard through and through. Better that and to be wrong, accused of such flatteries, than to assume her an apprentice and be wrong, accused of ignorance or worse.

There were even other letters addressed to his Captains of old, though Dwent had little idea if they would ever reach the right hands, or whether the Captains had any desire to return to Thain – developments or not.

One final letter he kept to himself, and embarked on a journey north.
Ogreman007
9:45:42 pm GMT 03/19/14
To the Drakamyre he went. A quick journey that avoided the roads as much as possible - he had not the patience to stray and stay in any one place, not even his destination truthfully. He did not want to stay and discuss matters with his Lord, not at this time. He would make his delivery and depart.

[ image disabled ]

Dwent approached the Red Wizard and moved up to the dais on which he always seemed to stand. Being high-up was undoubtedly pleasing to the aged master of the arts, and suited the authority he exuded aptly.

[ image disabled ]

Khalador did not seem interested enough to open the letter at once, perhaps he knew the Colonel would have proclaimed urgency, were there a need for it. Perhaps he didn't care. Dwent turned to leave before long, taking only a moment to prepare his things before he left.

Dwent wrote ...

Esteemed Khalador, my Lord.

It is with great anticipation that I write to you. There are great things on the horizon for you, me and everybody who serves in the name of Thay. I believe there is a glorious future to be had; a future where we can re-establish our operations of old upon this island - a future where Thayan superiority will grow from strength to strength. We will reclaim what has been lost, and bring about a new era that will see us stronger than we have ever been.

I would like to invite you, and your young apprentice Jenala, to join me on a journey from your tower in the Drakamyre, a short distance to survey an area of land which I believe holds the potential for us to transform it into everything we need to advance our trade, our research and our assimilation of the lands to Thayan requirement.

I want to bring all who serve Thay together in this. While I know you have had little interest in the past in what happens outside of your tower in reference to the politics we embroil ourselves in, I feel duty-bound to inform and invite you to the proceedings so you, as my Lord, are aware of what I want to see set into motion. Should plans go ahead they will bring change to the island, to our way of life and to what the people think of us.

Should you be unable to join us that would be unfortunate. But I plan on having a gathering near your tower of those who are able to come to see my vision of the future, before we depart to the area in question, and so we can check on your availability closer to that time.

Please summon me if you have need to discuss any of this further. Otherwise, everything will be explained on the day.
~Colonel D. Chambers.~

The content of the other letters sent to the other individuals Dwent had penned varied in content only slightly, to accommodate the nature of the person he wrote to. ((and will soon be sent out as PMs!))
Ogreman007
4:12:40 pm GMT 03/23/14
It did not take long for a reply to reach him.

The first was that of his Lord, Khalador. He hadn’t expected such a swift response – he hoped that was a positive thing. The great Wizard himself did not approach Dwent about the mysterious proposition, instead sending his young apprentice on her way to find him. Fortunately for her, Dwent later came to consider, he was not far to be found.

Magister Kha’Zorka was with him when the young Jenala approached them both with news from her master. Following some introductions and other pleasant formalities she got to the matter at hand.

“My uncle read your letter, and sent me to find you to give his reply. He has some interest in your proposal and wishes to know when you intend this expedition.”

Dwent responded with as much information as he could, at this early stage, mindful of how intolerant Khalador was likely to be of indecision or lack of clarity.

“But of course. I am hoping to gather a number of Red Wizards for the expedition, but that could take some time depending on where they are and how easily they can come… But I will not wait forever. It will be within the next month, at most.”

Kha'Zorka remained quiet as Dwent was yet to fully explain everything to him, content to watch the discourse and the iron golem that had accompanied the young Jenala. It stood taller than a man and wider too without doubt, guarding the doorway through which it had struggled to fit. Dwent went on to explain that when he was satisfied enough time had passed to give the other Red Wizards chances to respond, he would alert Khalador as to the final arrangements. The girl seemed pleased enough with that, though she was not her master and Dwent considered with some degree of anxiety what he would make of the explanation.

“Very well. Then I shall inform Uncle that he is to expect another visit to specify a date.

Clearly Jenala was still young, but only a fool would under-estimate her abilities, or her faculties. Likely educated from a very young age, by countless tutors of extreme ability, she would probably spend many years as an apprentice, as was the way of their society. But, apprentice or not, she evidently had a strong understanding of magic, and more importantly powerful connections both on and off the island. Perhaps more surprising than that though, to an outsider, would be her already-remarkably zealous view of Thay and everything about it: refreshing, to Dwent’s ears. She was no doubt Thayan – Dwent did not doubt Khalador’s heritage and if she was of connected bloodlines he could not doubt hers either. And already she was proud of that fact. She turned to leave the room, but not before smiling to them both and proclaiming as spirited as ever:

“Glory to Thay.”

Dwent saluted the small frame of Jenala – not daring to lavish upon her any less respect than he would any other Red Wizard or apprentice – and watched her depart.

‘Such spirit is what’s needed’, he thought to himself. ‘Long may it grow before she is as bitter and cynical as the rest of us’.

He turned back to Kha’Zorka - there was still much to discuss.
Ogreman007
7:03:47 pm GMT 04/05/14
The day had come, but not before mixed emotions amongst the Thayans.

The Khazark had declared there was plenty of time to back on their feet, if they took the right steps. Was that a veiled reprimand to the Colonel for thinking in the wrong direction? Dwent wasn't sure, but had additional orders altogether from Paydon now...

Dwent had plans, but none that countered his overall directive of serving his Thayan masters. Of that he was certain. There would be fights to come, no doubt. Fights and struggles and death. As long as they were not the ones to die, Dwent figured, where was the problem?

Dwent had felt the power of Kossuth, through more than the words and blessings of Etrich. He had experienced the -essence- of a god, of that he was certain. They needed that power, they would harness it and manipulate it to their ends and they would thrive. Or... they would ignore it, mock it and they would die.

In Khalador's tower, the Red Wizard, the Priest and the Colonel waited for their comrades to arrive...

Ogreman007
11:46:49 am GMT 04/11/14

But they could wait no more - things had already taken long enough to reach this far. The only other one to join those already gathered for the expedition was Lady Dominique, coming just in time to consider herself counted amongst those prepared to depart.

Etrich stood prepared, his blessings at the ready to keep the group strong and protected on their descent down from the peaks of the Drakamyre. The Colonel wondered to himself what was going through the mind of the Cleric - this was going to be a big moment for him on the island, no doubt. The decision of those Red Wizards who had come, and of Kha'Zorka who could not be present as Dwent knew already, could make or break the shared ambitions of Colonel and Cleric alike...

The journey took almost a day: 'slow' in the mind of the Colonel but he had not the gall to order them to pick up their collective pace. That and the inquisitive young Jenala was full of wonder and questions as they travelled their path. Dwent wouldn't blame the young one for their speed though as the road was particularly dangerous - the larger group likely easier to see, hear and smell, attracting the undead and wild beasts in equal measures. A minor inconvenience in the long run - nobody was truly harmed in the battles that ensued despite the persistence of the predatory panthers.

On arrival at their destination they cleared the area to ensure it was relatively safe for them to discuss at length the reason that they came in the first place. Dwent did not enjoy being so secretive, and to his sworn 'Lord' Khalador and other Red Wizard superiors no less! But now they came to rest, came to listen to the Cleric and the Colonel, and came to see the vision of the future that was put to them.

Labour.
Like-minds.
Loyalty.

It was agreed, among other things, that these would be needed to begin the new project. To bring the beginning of change and a rekindling of the old ways. To ensure a continuation of something important to them all, even if they did not specifically say so:

Legacy.

For all three of the things that Dwent needed to get his hands on as discussed by those gathered, he could think of one simple way in which he could accomplish the three things at the same time. Ironically very similar instructions had come from the Khazark himself while discussing something not entirely different... And as a stroke of fate would have it, he could be within mere weeks of getting his hands on exactly what he needed:

An Army!
Ogreman007
12:44:09 pm GMT 04/11/14
~~~~~

An army would come at no small cost, however... in fact, possibly a cost that he would regret paying, for a number of reasons...

First and fore-most it would mean not only openly helping but putting trust in a demon, and the prospect of getting involved in such creatures was enough to rouse painful memories from the Colonel's dark history. He had promised himself not to be fooled again by the promises of such cruel and manipulative monsters. Although the proposition had been put such that it sounded as though there were no true side-effect for the agreement, to Dwent there was plenty of chances for something to go wrong and he couldn't be sure that this demon did not know or was not indeed the very same powerful beast that had cursed him in the first place. Caution. Caution and more caution. Alarm bells rang wildly in his head - DO NOT TRUST THIS FOUL CREATION!
And yet he still allowed his mind to mull-over the proposition...

Then there were the personal, political and social ramifications for lending his aid. He knew, regardless of what some other people might claim, that he could not act in this and have it come back on his head only. He could not remove himself from association with his Thayan masters, and any personal repercussions for himself would inevitably weigh on them too: the fools of the island would make sure of that! With an already-declared desire to change the way people view their 'business practices' proclaimed by Kha'Zorka, could Dwent truly risk bungling the efforts of the esteemed Magister by pursuing his own needs??
But they weren't truly his own needs... this was a means to an end. A risky, bloody, innocent-slaying kind of means, yet the prospect of acquiring the army he so desperately needed couldn't just be cast aside, could it?
And so he still allowed his mind to mull-over the proposition...

Could there be a third way? A way of getting his hands on the army, a way of manipulating the brutes to his own wishes? He was charged with making them disciplined, and obedience was a large part of discipline. Once he had their obedience, could he merely not help the demon in it's final stage of the plan? He could simply leave before the spell was complete, or refuse to attend in the first place... or even, stage a coup to slay the demon and foil its plans, gaining favour for his masters within the city authority...

'That isn't really an option... is it?'
He would not decide now. He had to meet this self-proclaimed "army" and weigh its worth. He could still get out of helping at all if they were not fit for purpose... even failing that he hoped they were fit for his own purposes.
He had names which he had committed to memory, and soon would see what the man-demon Red could muster.

'Helping the demon is optional, in the long run.
If Red has an army... then I will seize it.'

[ image disabled ]
Ogreman007
11:16:25 pm GMT 04/14/14
It was difficult to travel along the dirt-roads of the Drakamyre without being beset by the monstrous inhabitants of the region. Today was no different.

On his way back from the south of the Island, Dwent's contemplations of the man-demon Red and his offer were abruptly interrupted. But his new-way of looking at opportunities within seemingly negative occurrences helped him to remember a promise he had made to the young apprentice Jenala when they had travelled south for the uncovering of "the vision of the future". The undead creatures he had just cut down would otherwise have presented problems to the unwary traveller, but now they lay still on the sodden ground they presented only new opportunity.

Not for the Colonel - he had no interest in these monsters other than how to possibly manipulate and control them: failing that, how to kill them. But Jenala, she had expressed explicit interest in the creatures. And it would be no hard task to placate her in this small matter...

The road ahead looked relatively clear, and there was still enough light to spot any other dangers on the road if he hurried. With the flurry of an old cloak and the assistance of a length of rope he bound the body of the fallen golem enough so he could carry it on to its new owner.

His task done for now, he left the girl in peace seeking to wash the stink out of his armour with all haste.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 35
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: Heisenbeast
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
1. Dmitry Ahlefeldt
2. Seth von Hendricks
3. Elvalith Nain
Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org