| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Kagali
12:31:52 PM 11/21/19
I still remember the day Tavi got epic. 'Twas also the day Meri got a +3 ring of protection! 'Course, now that's not so special, but it was a huge deal back then!

Shade
09:02:05 PM 11/20/19
Tavi-Tavi is a legend.

Galorndan
08:35:12 PM 11/20/19
@ Izral. Keshva may still be lurking around somewhere, i suspect there may be quite an interesting homecoming.

Jandari
08:33:51 PM 11/20/19
I remember the TAVI!!!!!

Galorndan
08:31:51 PM 11/20/19
If I can ever manage to get a newer computer, yes, there will be a Tavi in Thains future.

...wait, there are still folk who remember the Tavi?

Izral
08:28:38 PM 11/20/19
What about Keshva?

Shade
08:02:53 PM 11/20/19
Will we be seeing the Tavi again?

Galorndan
12:10:43 PM 11/20/19
^_^

Shade
10:16:46 PM 11/17/19
*gasps* Galorndan! *wavity wave*

Galorndan
09:40:42 PM 11/17/19
Hello Thain

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
The Tale of the Fey Blades - a Hin's Hubris
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Dogbert, Inq_Damocles, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Zhymm
08:00:14 PM 01/01/14

Registered Member #191
I made a stop in the "Wild Wants" shop on a recent visit to the Feywood elven stronghold. The shop-keep knew me int'rest in daggers an' said he had a 'special' pair I might like to see. He pulled a box from 'neath the counter and opened it on a side table where I could see. The blades were of elven make, with strange runes worked into their sides. I felt a faint vibration in the handles an' touching the blade made me fingers tingle as if they were asleep. The shop-keep said they were 'Fey blades' an' had a special magick - an opponent could be rendered disoriented .. even put to sleep by the touch of one of these daggers. Well, that got me int'rest, alright! They could make me fightin' style extra deadly. I had to have 'em! But, oh the askin' price. The elf wouldna budge on his price, ye'd think he had dwarven blood in his veins. I made an offer o' tradin' me halfing daggers an' one of me bigger gut stickers for them. I knew he wanted me halfling blades from seeing them on me last visit .. they's nothin' like them in the Feywood and he could make a killin' with 'em. He drove a hard bargain, but I took those Fey blades for me own. Oh, them ginats better watch out ... they really gonna get a taste o' halfling terror, now.

[ Edited 09:14:14 AM 05/12/18 ]

If I were organized I'd be dangerous.

Zhymm Grasscobble (AKA "Cobble") - halfling rogue, immersion disruptor, "The Tale of the Fey Blades" -Clickedy-, "The Pink Hair Incident" -Clickedy-,

Zuben el Genubi - inept human wizard,

Shando Reyer (AKA "Morgan") - shadow touched human ranger, "Where Lies Blame?" -Clickedy-, "Another Path Opens" -Clickedy-

Tagnus Stenkil (AKA "Tag") - dwarven fighter from the (late) Cloud Peaks Clan,

Dawson Mossmann - human druid, studies mosses and lichens,

Scatos Umbrassi- mustachio-ed, shadow touched human rogue,

Frin Featherfoot - fleet of foot halfling monk,

Sheeza Biggun - female half-orc barbarian,

Carmine Underhill - halfling wizard, Underhill family potion brewer,

Kovapuusti Ristalko (AKA Dulenti Sendel) - halfling wizard, Red Wizard wannabe, "The Transformation" -Clickedy-,

and a host of others.
Zhymm
08:19:56 PM 01/01/14

Registered Member #191
After a few runs at the ginats on the Steeps an' those down by the Hammersong I realized these Fey blades lacked a bit o' the 'punch' of me old halfling blades. I'd been bamboozled. Some of those ginats what feared me in tha past now jus' laughed at me efforts to lay 'em low. But I knew the blades' magick could be useful ... if only they had the bite o' the halfling blades. I decided to find a smith what could sharpen the blades an' give them a bit more bite. Morren up tha 'Kreis looked them over an' agreed they's fine blades, but he seemed more int'rested in sellin' me one o' his blades than workin' on these. Ol' Korgan in the Hammersong Keep ... well, once he seen they be of elven craft an' had some Fey magick wouldna even touch 'em! He pointed towards his door an' tol' me to go look elsewhere. I was at a loss ... smith after smith either said nay flat out or dropped conversation once they'd discerned them runes. Then I was talkin' with Bob at the firepit by the Trade an' he told me of a smith by the name o' "John Smith" ... odd name for a smith, eh? He said this John Smith sometimes works the bellow an' anvil in Keanes' smithy up in Hamley an' he might be able to work me blades. Well, I was off ta Hamley as fast as that mule team could get the wagon rollin'!

[ Edited 09:16:30 AM 05/12/18 ]

Zhymm Grasscobble (AKA "Cobble") - halfling rogue, immersion disruptor, "The Tale of the Fey Blades" -Clickedy-, "The Pink Hair Incident" -Clickedy-,

Shando Reyer (AKA "Morgan") - shadow touched human ranger, "Where Lies Blame?" -Clickedy-, "Another Path Opens" -Clickedy-

Kovapuusti Ristalko (AKA Dulenti Sendel) - halfling wizard, Red Wizard wannabe, "The Transformation" -Clickedy-,

and a host of others.
Zhymm
08:49:12 PM 01/01/14

Registered Member #191
After a bumpy ride up the north trail I made my way to Hamley. I stepped into Keanes' smithy. He was hard a work by the bellows, doing a repair on some farmer's plough blade. I got his attention an' asked him about John Smith the smith. He replied he dinnae know any smith by that name, nor anyone with the name. I was taken aback. I explained about how Bob had tol' me that Smith worked in this smithy once an' then. Keanes jus' shook his head an' said he dinnae know what Bob was talkin' about. Well, I told Keanes what it was I needed a smith for an' he said he might be able to do the job. He looked the blades over, said it would be a difficult job to sharpen 'em ... no guarantees, but he thought he could do it. However, he'd need some special materials to work the blades and his time would be dear, he already had a back-log of work to do. I pleaded with him, said I could get what he needed .. jus' tell me what ta get. Well, it needed adamantine ore to make the tools what could sharpen these blades. Lots of adamantine. An' his time to do the job would be another 4000 gold pieces on top o' the ore. My resolve was steeled. I'd get that adamantine and the gold. And me blades would be perfect. Yess!

and a host of others.
Zhymm
09:20:58 PM 01/01/14

Registered Member #191
I descended into the pits o' the Grey Iron hills. It took some time, but I got the adamantine. Found a bunch o' mithril, too. Even some gold. An' a few more 'shinies' for me collection. Terrorized the bugs an' gangly critters what skuttle about them pits, too. Dang, that ore is heavy. Near break a poor hin's back lugging it out o' that hole. Got the load back to Keanes' smithy. He seemed surprised ta see me, like his terms for the job woulda sent me packin'. I handed over the adamantine and gold. I even threw in the mithril ore an' gold ore, too ... if'n he'd get right on the job. Besides, that ore was jus' too heavy for a little hin like me to be luggin' in me pack. He took the ores and agreed to start right there and then. I gave him the blades. First, he had to work the adamantine into special sharpenin' tools for those blades. That took hours. Then he began to work the blades. Bellows an' anvil, anvil an' bellows, over an' over. The noise o' his hammer strikes, like thunder claps. Methinks that hammer he wielded had some magick of its own. Sparks flew. Sweat poured off his back an' arms. After what seemed like days he said "They're finished". Oddly, one clattered off the anvil onto the tiled floor as if it had been kicked. I picked it up. I could see Keanes' name worked into the blade 'neath the Fey runes. And sharp! I could shave the hair off me feet with it. But, the blade dinnae seem to vibrate as much as before. And me fingers dinnae tingle as much when I touched the side o' the blade. I said as much to Keanes, sayin' he'd weakened their Fey magick.

Before Keanes could answer a booming voice broke the air -- "YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TAMPERED WITH FEY MAGIC!". Green flames shot out of the anvil! The second blade disappeared! Keanes and I looked at each other - both of us in shock. What had we unleashed?

[ Edited 09:26:01 PM 01/01/14 ]

and a host of others.
Zhymm
01:52:27 PM 01/03/14

Registered Member #191
Near the locked door to the store room the tiles making up the floor of the smithy began to buckle and move. Strange plants with tentacle-like branches erupted through the cracks. Their tendrils tried to entangle me feet. I quickly danced out of range. Strange, tree-like plants grew up near the door to the outside, blocking our path. The entangling plants increased their range, clawing the floor near my feet. I backed away. The corner of the room near the furnace and bellows seemed to be unaffected and Keanes quickly retreated there. I was intent on finding my missing Fey blade and danced around the floor in the midst of the "tangle weeds" searching for it. A voice spoke from near the store room door, again scolding us for tampering with Fey magick. However, this time it was weak and high pitched, as if coming from a diminutive form. I grinned and approached the door. A gigantic, spotted mushroom swelled up to block me path. I quickly circled it and made for the door. The weak voice let out a squeek and I saw green light eminating from beneath the door. Then the door burst open. The store room was full of the tangle weeds and mushrooms. On the far side of the store room rose a bright, green pillar o' light. Silohuetted in the light and hovering in the center of the room was a small, winged form ... pixie like. It had me other blade! Intent to get me blade from this bugger of a pixie I jumped into the room toward it. It spritely avoided me grasp and flew into the pillar o' light. I ran across the room into the light. Blinded, I lost all sense o' direction. The floor vanished from 'neath me feet. There was no up nor down. Left and right were mixed as one. I lost conciousness an' me mind went dark.

[ Edited 02:01:52 PM 01/03/14 ]

and a host of others.
Zhymm
02:41:50 PM 01/03/14

Registered Member #191
I awoke, blades o' grass tickling me ears an' nose. Not the type o' blade I was looking for. I stood up to find meself in the center of a ring o' stones. Strange, glowing runes shown up through the grass near each o' the stones. The whole circle lay in a depression surrounded by tall, stately trees. Beyond the tress lay more trees. I was in the midst of a forest. Just outside the stone circle lay a recumbant form. Snoring sounds came from it. There was no sign o' the thievin' pixie what stole me dagger. The sleeping form stirred as if it was trying to awake, then fell back. As I approached it, I could see it had massive, curled horns on its head ... like a ram. An' its feet were cloven, like those of an ox or goat. Its legs were goat-like, as well. Once more it stirred and fell back. I shook its shoulder and it sat up, rubbing its face. Then it rose, towering over me. The figure must o' been 6 feet or more tall. A giant of a goat-man. Then it spoke - "who are you?" I burst forth with a flood of questions .. "Where am I? Where's the pixie what stole me dagger? Who are you? What are you? How'd I get here? Where's me mommy?". The goat-man waved his hands back an' forth. He tol' me to slow down, too many questions. This jus' made me redouble my efforts, more questions poured forth. He gave me a stern look an' raised his hand, palm toward me. "Ask again and you'll get no answers!". I bit me tongue, but gave the creature an imploring look. He took a moment to stretch an' sort himself out. "My name is Nael. I am a satyr. I work for Drystan, the ruler of this forest." Now, this is where me mind plays some tricks ... the events what happened in Keanes' smithy are crystal clear in me mind. But my mem'ry o' this forest is foggy, hazy-like ... some things an' names seem just out o' reach. Like when ye know a name or word, but yer mind balks and the words can't seem to make it to your tongue. I know Nael gave the forest a name, but all I remember is it was ruled by one Drystan ... whoever that is. An' that it was not on Thain ... or anywhere in the world I knew.

and a host of others.
Zhymm
08:58:19 AM 01/13/14

Registered Member #191
A few questions from Nael allowed me to convey my story how the pixie had taken me blade an' how I awoke in his forest after I'd chased the thievin' thing inta that' pillar o' green light. Nael said that was no pixie, but it sounded like the grig he called 'Fizzelgyg'. He related how the grig had likely taken me blade to use as a payment to tha Queen o' the Harpies. Fizzelgyg owed her a great deal o' gold, somethin' about wagerin' gone poorly for the grig. I asked how can I find this Fizzelgyg an' get back me blade. Nael said I'd need to track the grig, which would be difficult in this forest. He produced an odd lookin' lens what had a light chain attached. Nael explained tha' the lens, which he called a 'monacle', would allow me to track the grig. He demonstrated its use by fittin' the monacle twixt his cheek an' eyebrow allowin' his eye to look through it, then handed it to me. "I'll loan this monacle to you until you've found the grig," said the satyr, "then return it, for it belongs to Drystan". I took the monacle, but found it was too large to fit 'tween me cheek an' brow. So, I had to hold it wit' one hand whilst peering through it. Some 'sparklies' floatin' in the air could be seen when I looked through tha lens. Nael explained that was the grig's trail an' I should follow quickly before the 'sparklies' faded. I fastened the loose end o' the monacle's chain to me cloak lest I drop it. Then I set off, blade in one hand an' the monacle pressed to me eye in tha other. The trail o' sparklies led off into the forest. I followed as quick as a one-eyed, one-armed hin could go.

and a host of others.
Zhymm
11:45:56 AM 01/13/14

Registered Member #191
As I followed the trail o' sparklies, the forest began to thin a bit. Fewer places for me hide if'n trouble arose. But more to me fears, a sense o' forebodin' or gloom seemed to permeate the area, as if the forest were turnin' evil. All of a sudden a dozen or more harpies dropped from the forest canopy above. I was surrounded! They cackled an' danced. A few poked at me with fallen branches. I heard one slur "Aaarhooom, thisss one looksses tender and taysss-ty". Another rejoined "Letsess roassstess it, yesss". Another hissed "It'sess a halfling, a hin. Very taysss-ty!". A fourth added "No roassssting. Eat it raw, yesss. Halfling tartar!". On some unseen cue, the group began to chant "Hin tartar! Hin TARTAR! HIN TARTAR!!" I dropped the monacle and pulled out me remainin' gut-sticker. Fey blade in me right hand, hin battle blade in me left I spun back an' forth ... tryin' to face all directions to confront any attack from any where. One o' the harpies ventured within range of me right hand and a quick flick o' the wrist nicked it's forearm with me Fey blade. It fell, stunned. I quickly dispatched it with the gut-sticker and whirled just in time to slash a second harpy across its midsection. It, too, fell stunned. A deft stab with the gut-sticker ended harpy's miserable existence. The others fell back abit, hissin' loudly. The dance continued and two more harpies joined their mates in death's embrace on the forest floor. Standing amid the harpies' corpses, I chuckled. "Hin tartar, indeed! More like harpy tartar's on the menu!" I spit at their snarlin' visages. Five o' them began to dance and dart 'round me such that I had to move away from the bodies o' their fallen kin. The rest gathered up the dead and ascended into the canopy, their leathery wings slappin' the air. Those closest to me quickly followed their mates up to their hidden aerie in the tree limbs high above. All sign that was left to show any fight had occured was the trampled undergrowth and the splashes o' foul ichor what me blades had drawn from their flesh. Maybe harpy tartar was on their menu, now.

and a host of others.
Zhymm
04:55:06 PM 01/23/14

Registered Member #191
I wiped the harpy ichor from me blades on some nearby moss an' sheathed the gut-sticker. Monacle held near me left eye I could see the trail o' 'sparklies' left by the grig. Fey blade in hand I set off once more.

The 'sparklies' were becoming more numerous and brighter ... I must be catchin' that thievin' Fizzelgyg. The grig's trail went 'round the corner of a large, rocky outcrop. I slid along the rock wall an' took a peek around the corner. The trail led back toward a wide cleft or cul de sac in the rock. In the distance, back in the cleft, I spied a figure seated behind a flat bit of stone. The stone set like a table, perched upon a boulder. I moved forward, darting from tree bole to boulder to shrub ... sneaking closer. The seated figure had a cloth cowl covering its head and an odd, angular leather cloak wrapping its body. On the near side of the stone table stood a small winged creature. It was the grig! And me other blade lay on the table 'tween the grig and the seated figure!

Me anger steeled my nerves and I left my latest cover and strode forward with a shout "Fizzelgyg! Ya little thief! Tha's my blade!" The grig jumped as it turned toward me, let out a squeak and darted to the far side of the table, next to the seated person. That person spoke "Fizzelgyg, is this true? Are you trying to pay me with stolen goods?" Now the grig jumped away from the seated one. The seated one dropped its cowl, revealing the head of a harpy! And what I took for a cloak were its leathery wings clasped to its body! I stopped dead in me tracks. This harpy was much larger than the ones I had fought earlier. I looked around for any cover to duck towards as the harpy rose to stand, its wings unfurling. It extended a hand, palm towards me and said "Stay, hin! You are not in danger .... yet."

The harpy turned to the grig and said "Drystan will hear of this, Fizzelgyg. Your debt is not settled. Now go!" The grig made a hasty exit. I started to edge toward the nearest bush, off to my right. The harpy spit "I said stay, hin! If you value your existence you will stand still." With its wings extended I noted that the harpy was female, its flaccid breasts hanging loosely on its chest. "Who are you?" it asked.

"I ... I ... I am Zhymm .... a simple halfing ... your .... uh ... ladyship?" I stammered. "Are ye the Queen ... that Nael told me ... about?"

"Nael told you that? Yes, I am the Queen of the Harpies. I rule this portion of the Wood. Now, what brings you here to bother me?"

I nodded toward the stone table, where my dagger lay.

"This dagger is your property?" she asked. I noted that the Queen's speech lacked the sibilance of the harpies what attacked me. And she seemed much more civil, polite even.

"Yes, your ladyship ... see here, I have its twin" I held up my right hand, showing the fey dagger it clutched. "That thievin' grig stole it!"

The Harpy Queen's eyes narrowed. "No need for vulgar talk, hin. I will return your dagger to you. But, I want something in return."

The smile that started on my face quickly faded. "You want something in return? Gold? I have some gold, here." I tapped me purse. "Shinies ? I have shinies" I began to unsling my pack.

A slight snear fluttered across the Queen's lips. "Nothing so mundane, sir." She stepped closer, wings upraised, towering over me. "Zhymm, I want your first born."

and a host of others.
Zhymm
09:57:44 PM 01/24/14

Registered Member #191
"Me firs' born??" I sputtered. "But I ha' no firs' born, I don't even have a wife!" What more could I say? "There's no hin lass what would have me for a mate!"

The Queen's piercing, black eyes scanned me up and down. "I see your point" she stated. "Well, we'll have to find something else you can give me."

This did not sound good. "Ye don't want me gold or me shinies! What else is there?" I pleaded.

The Queen fixed me with her eyes once more. "Your time. Part of your life. Yes, I think that will do. You will owe me a 'favor' ... of sorts'. I will send you 'back', now. But when I need the favor, I will summon you."

"Favor? Favor!?!? What favor? What?!" I cried.

She simply shook her head and said "You will see ... then." She pulled a long, slender bone from a pouch slung at her waist. It reminded me of the bones in Rishie's left fore-arm. She passed it over my head while mumbling some words I didn't understand.

All went black. I had the odd, floating sensation I experienced when I came to the Wood. Then I lost conciousness.

When I awoke I was flat on my back. Blue sky was above me. Trees were at the periphery of my vision, rimming the sky. Some tall stones were off to my left. I rolled to my side, looking at the stones. They were the Rune Stones in the copse near the Crossroads! I was back on Thain!

I stood up, checking my person. All was in place. No wounds. Nothing broken. I was fine. And I had two Fey blades tucked in me belt. I made for the exit on the west side of the Rune Stone copse.

and a host of others.

Jump:     Back to top