| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Rodgr Thunderguts
03:00:52 PM 10/14/19
Soooo much turkey.... need a nap haha!

archgrendel
08:59:27 AM 10/14/19
And to the others who want to celebrate from afar!

archgrendel
08:58:24 AM 10/14/19
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to the Canadian Thainites !

scratch_flannigan
12:30:36 PM 10/13/19
Nature Night begins in about 1.5 hours from the time of this post. That will be 2pm CDT (GMT -5).
Please check page 1 of the Nature Night: Phase 4 thread to see the map to the Wild Grove where we meet !

I will be on as Dauken. Please shoot me a tell if you have questions !

Luke
10:44:10 PM 10/10/19
Heh heh heh heh heh! Yeah yeah!

Kagali
03:59:08 PM 10/10/19
Vladislav! Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me...no more!
*Is impaled*

Luke
02:04:53 PM 10/10/19
Don’t hurt me, no more!!heart

Shade
12:31:41 PM 10/10/19
Baby don't hurt me

Luke
11:41:45 AM 10/10/19
What is love?

Cuchuwyn
10:17:58 AM 10/10/19
Necro night will be starting in a little under 3 hours! Hope to see folks there!

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Idunna Nistaüre: The Grandfather Tree
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Dogbert, Inq_Damocles, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Naerwen
11:19:14 PM 12/15/12

Registered Member #1556
Back Story and Arrival on Thain:

Idunna Nistaüre was born into a ancient family of Druids devoted to the protection of the High Forest and the remaining Treants tending Turlang's Woods. Her family's home rested at the foot of the Lost Peaks in a place called Dancing Falls. When she was old enough, she took the oaths of her ancestors to protect the secret location of the fabled Grandfather Tree and assist the Treants in rebuilding the High Forest and restoring the balance that had been upset by so many years of war. Many vile forces still try to destroy the emerald beauty of the forest, but Idunna's family and the other elven houses devoted to restoring balance to the wood remain undaunted in their mission.

In her 80th year, Idunna took the oaths of a Druid in the service of Silvanus. After her initiation, the Treants begged a favor of the Druids; to carry a small pieces of the Grandfather Tree to other locations in Faerun in an attempt to revive the war weary world and transform her scars into lush and living greenery and, thus, restore the balance of Nature throughout the realm. Idunna's task was to travel to the Sword coast where she would board a boat headed north along the coast to the town of Waterdeep. The long war there with the Drow had destroyed much of the natural foliage and it was her task to plant her piece of the Grandfather Tree in the very heart of the city. A gift to the people of Waterdeep for their victory over the darkness and to give them a symbol of hope that would grow with them as they rebuilt their city, their farms, and their lives. It would be a long and treacherous journey for such a young elf, but Idunna was excited to be honored with such an important mission.

After boarding her ship in a rather barbaric port along the Sword Coast, they set sail for Waterdeep. Only three days into the journey, a great storm hurled the ship to and fro violently. The crew tried in vain to keep the great ship on course, but the storm persisted for what seemed to Idunna to be a week or more. When the storm cleared and land was sighted, Indunna's heart soared once more at the thought of bringing this great gift to the people of Waterdeep. But as the fates would have it, where they landed was no where near Waterdeep and, frankly, no where on any map the captain had ever heard of. The locals called the place Thain, but to Idunna, it was to become the home she had not expected. Perhaps Silvanus meant for the piece of the Grandfather Tree to be planted here? If so, where?

Physical Attributes:

Idunna is a slim, average looking elven female with very fair hair and skin. Her most striking feature is her clear blue eyes which are like looking into the pools of the past found in the highest parts of the Lost Peaks.

*Idunna's Portrait pack is attached for download*

idunna.zip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Idunna Nistaüre | Druidess | Song - Iduna by Faun <-- Lyrics w/translation | Portrait Pack | The Grandfather Tree | Venom | Unravellings |

[ image disabled ]
Naerwen
02:14:57 AM 12/18/12

Registered Member #1556
Even after a week on land, the sea was still sloshing around in Idunna's head. She sat up in the bed and looked around the comfortable room Bence had rented her. Her clothes had been laundered and placed in a neatly folded stack on the chair near the door. She would have to inquire as to whom to thank. Right now, she needed a cup of water.

Swinging her legs over the side of the bed she gingerly reached for the floor. She felt so dizzy as she tried to stand; holding on to the closest sturdy things she could find to make it to the door. Peeking into the hallway, first to the right and then the left, she saw a sign that read "Kitchen" in common. Water would be there. It took her nearly fifteen minutes to travel the distance of two of Bence's small rooms to the kitchen door. She hoped there was no one inside. She really didn't want to appear as weak and pathetic as she felt. She opened the kitchen and door and to her relief, the room was empty save for the inviting fire and a yummy smelling pot of stew bubbling away over it. She was starving. Still hanging on to the door, she looked about for anything to steady her as she made her way across the room. She inched her way along the wall to the water pump. As she reached for the handle, she silently prayed to Silvanus to not let her fall, knock herself out, and land in a heap in the puddle on the floor. She didn't want her first meeting with this new land's inhabitants to be her face down in a puddle of water. The thought of it made her laugh a loud.

She drank deeply from the cold, clear water. It occurred to her that she should find a cup and a bowl. She slowly made her way around the kitchen, looking in cabinets and drawers until she found the items she was looking for. With a start, she froze. Where was Malla? Was she still on the boat? Did she fall overboard? Idunna's stomach growled. "Ok. First things first. Strength and then search." She filled the bowl with the stew and sat down at the table. She gave thanks to Silvanus for his bounty and thanked him for keeping Malla safe.

It was the first time in her young elven life that she had ever had a tinge of doubt.

Idunna Nistaüre | Druidess | Song - Iduna by Faun <-- Lyrics w/translation | Portrait Pack | The Grandfather Tree | Venom | Unravellings |

[ image disabled ]
Naerwen
07:06:55 AM 12/22/12

Registered Member #1556
[ image disabled ]

Idunna had looked everywhere she could get to yet there was no sign of Malla. She had asked countless passers-by, guards, adventurers, deer, and even a field mouse and no one had seen Malla. Idunna was worried for her dear friend. What had become of her? Why hadn't Idunna's first thought been for the safety of her companion? Why on Toril did Idunna have to get sea sick of all things? She was furious with herself. She missed Malla and she was lonely.

[ image disabled ]

Even with the new friends she had made around the campfire at the Trade & Tackle, Idunna felt incomplete. She hoped that finding the White Stag for Akari would hasten his efforts to have his other rangers locate Malla. Days passed with no word. The silence was deafening.

She looked up at the moon and prayed to Silvanus on behalf of her friend. The moon stared back down at her. It looked huge and cold. Even the fire brought no warmth. Idunna felt defeated as she retired to her small room at the Trade. She took off her cloak and laid it on the chair and was just about to pounce onto the bed when she noticed a small white note card. Picking it up, she scanned her eyes over it. "Meet me in the clearing tomorrow morning. Akari ~" She didn't sleep at all. Was Malla dead? Had they found her alive? Had they found her at all?

Before first light, Idunna stole quietly from the Trade and out to the clearing Akari had mentioned in his note. She impatiently waited for him to arrive and paced a small patch of grass. She heard a stick break and she whirled around to see in the direction of the sound. "MALLA!", she cried!

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]
Naerwen
09:31:17 PM 12/29/12

Registered Member #1556
Much had happened since being reunited with Malla. Idunna explained to Malla about meeting Terranoth. Malla wasn't sure she liked the idea of Idunna being a servant to dragon and was extremely vocal about it.

"It isn't like he's going to eat us, Malla.", Idunna explained.

Malla wasn't having any of it. That was not their task here and she reminded Idunna of the tiny seed she carried in her left pocket. Idunna nodded.

"Yes. You are right. But I don't know if I can trust that Thayan, Malla. He seems to be sincere, but Melada doesn't seem so convinced. I don't know what to do, really, but if he can raise a group that can go in and sever the ties the rock has with this necromantic plane, the Shire would be the perfect place to plant it."

Malla rolled over on her back and pawed at Idunna to scratch her tummy which she did; her thoughts still going over the horrible scene Gharos had shown her.

"Thayan's and Baneites, Malla. A terrible power when forces combine. What a mess they've made. One from greed, the other for reasons I can't begin to fathom."

Malla purred and pawed at Idunna trying to get her to stop worrying about things she couldn't do anything about at present. There was other work that needed doing, and as far as Malla was concerned, it involved lots of scritches.

[ image disabled ]
Naerwen
11:58:36 AM 01/24/13

Registered Member #1556

She was still distraught over Lilith's words. "Hello, Idunna. Have you murdered any elves lately?", Lilith had said. Murdered any elves?

Her trip with Galberk and Gharos to the Poison Wood had gone badly. Galberk's attempts to reason with the members of the Order of Syann had not gone well at all. Galberk had discussed his concerns with them in private so Idunna hadn't heard the dwarf's complaint with the order. All she knew is that one minute the negotiations seemed to be going well and then suddenly the elves grew enraged with the dwarf and attacked them. Idunna had fled to an adjoining room. She had no interest in fighting her own kind after having come in peace. The angry shouts and the clashing of weapons filled her mind again and she felt a cold shiver run through her body. Their attack had been without provocation. The dwarf had been caught off guard. The speed with which the Poison Wood representatives had gone from calm to vicious had been just a split second. No elves she knew were that quick to wrath. Everything in the wood seemed to seethe with an unnatural rage. Even the animals would not speak to Idunna no matter how hard she tried. The wood was tainted. Nothing responded to the natural order Idunna had been taught.

After returning to the Trade, she sat by the fire and half listened to what was being said. Melada scolded her, but she was only half listening. She could not understand the behavior of these elves. What caused this sudden rage? Why could they not reason with the dwarf to come to a peaceful solution to his complaint? Confusion consumed her.

She retreated to the tranquility of the Fey Wood to meditate on the many events that had happened since she arrived on the island. So many people with so many different philosophies and opinions on what was right and what was wrong. Amazingly, few seemed concerned with balance nor did they understand the fine balance a druid must always be aware of.

"We stand in the grey, Idunna." Master Mc'Connally had instructed her. "We must be ever mindful of the path that lies between the dark and the light. This is the path we walk. We stand in the grey. We must never choose a side. Just as fire is neither good nor evil we must remember that both good and evil have their place in the balance. Our job is to guide and protect that which is natural; to keep the balance between day and the night so that all living things on this plane can grow and flourish."

[ image disabled ]

His words had seemed so simple to her. Her directive had been clear, but now? She was being judged by those who claimed to uphold the light yet committed acts of evil to uphold it. She had watched Galberk slay a sleeping Dragon Kin. She had tried to intervene, but she was ignored. Was this also part of the balance Master Mc'Connally had spoken of? She was unsure of anything any more. She needed a mentor. Someone from this island who understood the delicate workings of this place that kept it from flying apart. But how to find such a person? Where?

[ image disabled ]

She remembered what Dias had told her about a druid named Willow. She quickly penned a note and left it with the owner of Wild Wants.

Fair winds, Willow.

My name is Idunna Nistaüre - druidess in service to Sylvanus and Keeper of the Grandfather Tree. I seek your guidance and wisdom. I require a teacher who is versed in the delicate balance of this island and the people that inhabit it. I have been sent here by the Tree Father to help keep this balance and I desperately need the counsel of an elder druid who can teach me the skills I need to fulfill the wishes of my lord. Will you help me?

I humbly await your reply,

Idunna

She left the note with Glendel and return to the peace of the wood and the comforting company of her panther companion, Malla. It was only in these things that she could find solitude these days. She missed the simple ways of the Turlong Woods and the people she had left behind. She was young and ill prepared for the tasks that lay before her. She hoped that the council of Willow would help her correct this.

[ Edited 12:09:24 PM 01/24/13 ]

[ image disabled ]
Lightfoot
09:24:31 AM 02/13/13

Registered Member #157
Having flown with the Flock to the canopy of the Tel'Varataurie to seek out the archives they hold in covenant, Willow visited Glendel among others in the Stronghold to gather news and supplies. Finding a message for him amongst various others, he swiftly sat upon a barrel crossed legged to quickly enscribe a reply.

Idunna Child of the Forest,

If you would learn of the Nature of Thain then come unto me in the forests of Feywood, in the Grove of the Ungue Orn. There do I dwell and there I share my knowledge with our kinsfolk of the Isle. In time I might teach you of the mysteries of the Source, the secrets of the Children of Valorien and the path that we follow in the name of the Elemental Gods of this Isle to hold nature in balance.

But first, I would know of the teachings you have received from your elders on the mainland, what thee know of the Otherworld of the Green, and the secrets of our craft. Should you have an apprentice or two, then bid them welcome also to the Ungue Orn and Feywood.

Willow of Feywood

Rolling the parchment and entrusting it to a member of the Flock, Willow voice whispered unto the bird in sylvan magic so that it might find and seek out Idunna as described by Glendel and take to her his missive.

[ Edited 11:10:25 AM 02/13/13 ]
Naerwen
07:38:48 PM 02/14/13

Registered Member #1556
What a mess! Poor Elithrandri! She was asked to be responsible for his guidance and she had failed miserably!

His gift to take the form of animals was slowly twisting his young mind. Just today she had found him on a hill top near the Goblin Caves surrounded by a huge crowd of people. He had taken on the form of a Minotaur and absolutely refused to change back no matter how stern she had been with him. Fenris was wrong. Stern was not the way to mentor such a strong-willed youth as Elith. He simply could not respect such and especially from her. He had even taken on a name while in this Minotaur shape - Codrus. The situation had become grave. She herself had been in danger. She didn't know how to help her friend.

Taking out a parchment, she penned a note to Master Willow:

Dear Master Willow:

Thank you for your prompt reply. The situation has become dire and my need for guidance necessary now more than ever. My charge, Elithrandri, is suffering some kind of mental duress as he tries to come to terms with the animal shapes he can become. He now thinks he is a Minotaur named Codrus. I am beyond myself with fear for his safety and the safety of others.

As for my instruction and knowledge, I must say that it is very limited. I am taught in the ways of Silvanus. Our grove is dedicated to the protection and nurture of the Grandfather Tree whose location remains secret. Many of our grove have come from teachers who were members of the Emerald Enclave and The Order of Tall Trees. Many of these teachings blend with ours, but our focus remains on tending the trees and healing the scars on the land left by the constant encroachment of human cities.

Recently, however, a human druid, who was my teacher, came to us with a most amazing idea: to take pieces of the Grandfather Tree to the ailing places on Toril and plant them. His argument was sound and approved by the Grove Elders so a contingent of us was sent out to fulfill the task. I was sent to Waterdeep to plant the seed at the very heart of that war ravaged city. However, Silvanus had another plan - to see the once great city of Davenshire cleansed and restored to her former lush green. I believe this is why I was sent here instead - to plant the seed of the Grandfather Tree in Davenshire to help her lands heal once that horrid stone is removed and the rift there sealed. We can speak more of this later.

I look forward to hearing of the Children of Valorien and of the history of the Elves here on Thain. I also am curious of these Elemental Aspects and what their part in the balance of this island is. I have been graced to speak to one called Wa'ilan'ai. I think the spelling of that is correct, but I am unsure. She seemed very kind and wise.

I will meet you at the Yaara Orn in the Feywood. Please send a messenger when the time to come is agreeable with you. I will bring Elithrandri with me at that time.

With deep respect,

Idunna~

After sealing her note, she gave the parchment to a bird outside of the Trade and bid the creature to deliver it to Willow of the Feywood.

[ image disabled ]
Naerwen
08:48:51 PM 03/15/13

Registered Member #1556
She stole through the thickets and worked her way deeper into the older growth area of the Feywood. Beautiful clear water, trees more ancient than anything on this island, gentle Foxfire beings, and giggly Fey. It was her refuge on the island. Her one place of complete sanity and a return to what she had known before this disaster of a trip to Thain. She passed a white deer and petted her. The deer followed Idunna as she walk in a determined pace until she reached her hallowed destination. Finally! She breathed a sigh of relief and made a sound that sounded somewhere between a laugh and a cry. Like a person who has come home completely broken and seeking forgiveness.

She stripped off her armor and tossed it aside... all she wanted was to wash herself clean under the pure water of the fountain. She stepped into the chilly water, and naked as she was, she stood under the falling water both crying and praying for some time. As night came on, she left the water, dried herself off and dressed in a simple robe. She built a fire and called for Malla.

Malla came and immediately lay down beside her friend, resting her head in Idunna's lap. Malla knew her Idunna was troubled. She knew.

Malla stayed and listened to Idunna talk through the night, never once leaving the druid's side. Malla had faith that Idunna would work it out... whatever it was that was troubling her.

[ image disabled ]
Cain
10:22:46 PM 03/15/13

Registered Member #1727
Cain looks up at a pigeon flapping by, as he wanders about the island as he is want to do.

Though hungry, he holds back his sling bolt.

Somethin odd about that bird...*shrugs*

He stops and rummages in his pack for some iron rations. Chewing slowly.

Just an android on the run.
Naerwen
07:46:47 AM 04/20/13

Registered Member #1556
So much had happened since sending the note to Willow about Elith. She had been wrong, of course. The Minotaur turned out to be a real one and Elithrandri was very upset with her for thinking it was him since it had been killing guards and roasting them over the Raven's Watch fire.

But then there were the other things; an eruption of utter chaos in the months that followed had kept her head spinning and she was thrown completely off balance by it all. She had been so excited when Kael had asked her out for dinner. He had been charming and kind. She was a kindred mind he had said. When the time came for their first "date", Dias had given her a choice; dinner in Elisara or a swim in his favorite place. She chose the later after some going back and forth with the idea in her mind. She barely knew him and being half dressed on a first date wasn't exactly what she had hoped for, but seeing a place that he treasured and wanted to show her seemed so endearing. He made her feel special.

The water was warm and the huge, open sky was bright with a full moon. The gentle breeze and the warmth of his breath while he whispered in her ear had been intoxicating. She had wanted to melt into his arms and forget everything, but then she remembered. No member of her family had mated or married outside of the Elven race and she was expected to do the same. She hesitated and lost him. She had been heart broken. She didn't know he had not been sincere from the beginning and that his only intention had been to bed her and fulfill some fantasy from his past youth. He had not cared for her at all. Never.

Her heartbreak had turned to rage when she learned that he had stolen the hatchlings of the dragon Verifax. What was he doing? Who was this man she had loved? How could she have been so wrong? But it was worse than a simple theft of a few baby dragons, much worse. He lead a destructive attack on Hamley leaving the town's crops and livestock in tatters. The very fabric of the community destroyed in a battle whose catalyst was a bruised ego from an exchange of heated words between he and Mialee a few months prior. All of this over words?

Perhaps he had always been planning an assault on the sleepy little village and the bruise to his ego was just an excuse to launch an attack he had already decided upon long ago. He had left a package near one of the patients in the makeshift clinic in the back of the Hamley barracks; a syringe-like tube empty of its contents. The purpose of it was still unknown. All exports from the village were halted and it's economy came to a complete standstill. All food, water, and medicine had to be shipped in via costly caravans from the other cities on the island. The people of the village seemed defeated. Morale was sinking even faster than their livelihoods.

But hope came from the small hands of a bard named Soleil. Idunna would forever cherish this kindhearted woman who single handedly raised a small army of people whose donations to the rebuilding of Hamley could build several Hamleys. Such generosity and selflessness from so many filled the young druidess with such joy and warmth. Surely everything would be all right now for her beloved second home and the people she had so come to love.

But the package and its contents remained without purpose. This could not be forgotten. Whatever was in that tube had been put into something, and until that something was found, Hamley was still in danger - she was sure of it. Dias never did anything without a reason or an outcome that would benefit him. No. It was not over yet. Of this she was certain.

[ Edited 03:04:24 PM 04/24/13 ]

[ image disabled ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top