Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• Shards
    Shards  3 months ago

Happy New Year!

• Edrick
    Edrick  3 months ago

Happy New Year all!

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

You the man thanks mate

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

There it is!

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  5 months ago

-Clickedy-

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  5 months ago

Anyone have the thain discord link, thankyou

• Payne
    Payne  5 months ago

Edrick... mad

• Edrick
    Edrick  5 months ago

Payne

• !ofAkindGuy2000
    !ofAkindGuy2000  5 months ago

Thanks.

• Glognar
    Glognar  5 months ago

There is! You need to examine the omnidye to find the info. I also think that there is still an error though in one of the numbers.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Power Struggle

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Ogreman007
11:18:39 am GMT 09/08/09
Ogreman007 'Lupi made me do it
Registered Member #175 Joined: 5:49:41 pm GMT 07/23/04
Within the dim-lit room, once tall candles were now flickering endlessly as they came to terminate upon iron cradles below. The wavering flames were not enough to warm their cold embrace though, during the hours that had passed, had served their purpose well enough: to shed their light upon a delicate but necessary discussion. Two had left already, and now it was time for the rest to leave these inner holdings of the building and resurface once again. Back, to where the air was fresh and where the fools were plentiful. On their way up, a gruff voice broke the monotony of their feet across the wooden floor:

“Well then Colonel. Perhaps the masses have gathered, you can claim your leadership before them.”

A grunt was the first response, followed by words of disregard,

“Hmpf... Would they care?” The man’s face cracked a smile, one of many that had surfaced during the past few hours, as his right hand reached for the door, pulling it open.
The first man paused in the doorway, looking to his friend, his voice cold and his reasoning blunt:

“No, but all the more reason to do so. Force the news down their throats.”
Ogreman007
12:40:03 pm GMT 09/08/09
A short while ago, back inside the meeting place:

There was a moment's pause in the discussion. It had not really revealed much of use for the Vice-counsel, who sat at one side of the room. He kept a neutral expression during each point made, seeming to take note of those gathered, their reactions, and - undoubtedly - their opinions especially. The silence was broken by the inquisitive voice of the vice-counsel once more, Sar'rel, as he sought an overview of the whole situation to conclude upon.

Having been moved to the Consulate of Amn my role here has been as observer, reporting to the Consul General on this island and other Thayan holdings in this area of the world. What shall I tell him?

Knowing his opinion could hold more weight than usual with such a prominent political figure, Dwent spoke only after consideration of his thoughts.

I would tell him whatever you feel needs to be said. It's not for me to put words into your mind or mouth.

Sar'rel was amused apparently, chuckling at this. A reaction Dwent was satisfied with.

I am asking you three to make some decisions. So that I will have something other than "things are in chaos and ruin" to tell.

The two others present, Esteemed Wizards Paydon and Silven remined quiet while Dwent tried again.

Perhaps some truth of this situation will help us more than covering it up.

Perhaps. Or perhaps they will send others here, as they once did, to rule.

I know that we still bring in profits. Most of what happens internally stays internal. We've never been in the habit of publically commentating on our own politics.

I can not deny that. And have no desire to make the situation out to be worse than it is. But, in truth, would prefer to report that you three are taking steps to see leadership restored.

A silence fell about the room's occupants once more, only the faint footsteps from patrons above making a sound.

If.. Khazark Sephir is missing.. and he feared assassination you say?

He did. I was present when he made his announcement. And spoke with him several times after that.

I will organise what numbers I can to try to find him. If he's still on the island.

More than once he mentioned his concern of assassination. I was clear in my conversations with him that your loyalty could not be bought at any price, Major.

The comment was enough to make Dwent stand slightly taller, and the concern of his words being taken out of proportion subsided enough to make him say what he wanted.

If I may speak openly for a moment..?

Please do. As something of an outsider I prefer that to saber-dancing.

With just a moment's hesitation the Major considered the implications of his words, should the three wizards before him disagree. But, unless the vice-counsel had an ulterior motive in holding this open discussion from the outset - which he doubted of Sar'rel - he was compelled to use the opportunity before him as another like it may not surface for some time.
Ogreman007
12:59:29 pm GMT 09/08/09
I was speaking to Gharos the other day, and the conversation moved onto Sarleta and her brief role of leader to us. He seemed to find it difficult to see what good she had done us. The more he made me explain what I meant, the harder it became to even believe myself. The truth is there were things she did which were good for us. Others which were... demeaning.

Pot. Kettle. Black. Since we are being frank. But the point is well taken.

Yes, yes. Though one thing I'm quite sure Gharos -didn't- aspire to do, was to make us more... 'friendly'.

Again, Sar’rel found amusement in this, a small smile accompanying his familiar chuckle.

I am not so sure. But please continue.

Well, that aspect of her ambitions, I rather disliked. And I feel by proxy, to make us seem more approachable, served only to -weaken- our image.

The humour Sar’rel felt had quickly dissipated as his firm response denoted:

I could not agree more.

As I told Gharos, I feel that whatever is done, whoever will lead us, the first thing that needs to be done is to reinforce that which we were in the first place. We should exhibit power and strength. Not a “friendly trading experience”.

The voice of Paydon erupted from nowhere with his opinion on the matter:

Prove that there is a Might of Thay on the isle, and not just a presence. This political facade we have had for so long has been an embarrassment to us.

We cannot change what people think of us. That would be like changing the colour of the sky. We can only give people reason to respect, or indeed fear us. Whichever is required at such a moment.

Another insight was added to the mix by the young wizard Silven. His own thoughts not too disimilar to Dwent's, save for his choice of 'allies'.

Perhaps we need to increase our influence here and see if we can manipulate the powers that be.

Sar'rel seemed keen to gauge reactions to that comment, looking around to the others. Silven continued after a brief pause to let the idea sink in.
Ogreman007
1:23:06 pm GMT 09/08/09
Have you ever approached the elves of poisonwood?

Why would we do that?

Never without swords drawn.

I wonder if we can use any allies to better establish ourselves again.

Having been previously more vocal, Sar’rel now remained quiet, listening. No doubt the well-oiled machine that was his mind was whirring away in contemplation.

Elves, as allies? We may as well form a trading alliance with the Hin if we are stooping that low.

Rather than befriend a hostile race of sick elves, we'd be better off playing off the relations we built with the dwarves.

Dwent spoke his words grudgingly, the words literally falling out of his mouth with little conviction.

Only a fool doesn't consider all tools before him.

Though I'd rather we go alone than do that… we can expand without immediate need for allies. I'm already looking into one opportunity.

Excellent.

The Major is correct, we gain much more influence with continued discussions with Hammersong, than with pathetic elves. But before we expand we need to remind the people on this isle that we are not to be trifled with. The trading post is a clear message they no longer fear us.

Allies. Or not allies. Fear or friendship. And a missing khazark.

Only friendships of convenience are useful.

So then let it be fear. But not oppression, for that will not serve us any benefit in the long run.

I believe respect can be gained through fear -or- friendship. But when there is hatred and prejudice, fear does seem to me the prudent course. It need not be fear alone. Fear can mean many things. Fear of betrayal key among them.

Sarleta seemed eager to dispel the fear.

It is said, "If you want to test the true mettle of a person, observe them during adversity." I am of the belief that even more true is that "if you want to test the mettle of a person, observe them during success." By that measure, she was an unmitigated failure in my eyes. All her many strengths, and they were considerable, did not bear up well to the tests of leadership.

Strength requires unity in our case. And for Thay, that unity begins at the top. On this island, that is the khazark. I do not believe... that you can afford to wait to learn of Sephir. Of course, search for him. But who will lead while that takes place?

I do not intend to impose change on you. Gods know you have had your fill and then some in recent years. But the question does deserve an answer. Not for me. But for all of you.

Your position in Amn removes you from consideration?

Paydon’s curiosity hinted as his obvious first-choice for a new Khazark, though there would be little new about Sar’rel returning to power once more.

With everything that has been going on, it seems we are running out of Red Wizards… but, my logical choice would of course be, Esteemed Paydon.

In answer to your question... I do not know. But I am forced to travel. I have conversations like this in many places now.

Paydon nodded to that response, whilst Silven spoke

I would but, the time is not right.

We all know any leadership I would be doing, would not be....nice. Which in the past was a problem to many.

There is.. one other option.

The three men, and the young girl Dominique, who had slipped into the room during their discussions handing a document to Paydon in the process, looked intently to Sar’rel for his proposal solution.
Ogreman007
1:59:49 pm GMT 09/08/09
There are two other places I know of where there are no wizards. Only soldiers and slaves. In those cases, a soldier leads. It could be done here. But the wizards... it would be rather upside down, but is an option. There are benefits and detriments, of course.

We discussed this before Major.

Seeming about to speak, Dwent looked between the three wizards in front of him and stopped.

When it comes, the weight of such a decision can be crushing. Consider it a moment.

Major, what are your feelings on such a future?

Unintentionally the words of his superiors seemed like intimidating questions and Dwent was challenged to think fast enough. The forced-calm on his face hid the surge of thoughts in his mind.

Well..-

In the past we let the first to raise their idiotic hands lead, best we weigh all our options.

I will not follow a soldier...not seeking to offend.

The rapidly formed dream was dashed with Silven’s comment. He’d have to think carefully how to persuade the wizards and hope his silver tongue could sway Silven’s mind.

When I discussed such a scenario with Esteemed Paydon before, things were slightly different. We still had the Trading post for one. My thought was to have a military run southern-post, and have the trading post for our fine wizards. I would oversee the south, under guidance from the Wizards, who could be left to study and produce goods in the north far from the noise of training and drills.

Hmm.
Interesting idea.

While we no longer hold a northern post, that is the only real difference I suppose… But regardless, I would not presume to give orders to a Red Wizard, so you need not fear that. In my mind it would in fact free up the Wizards from the tedium of leadership, beyond instructing me of things to be done.

And who would others treat with? Say, for example, Hammersong sent a delegation to talk. Who would meet with them? And who would be empowered to enact policy for the enclave and Thayan holdings on this island?

The tone of the vice-counsel was not one of a challenge or to deride the ideas. Indeed, such questions would need answers sooner rather than later.

That is the more important matter ahead of us, not just who proclaims to lead what stretch of land to another.

That does complicate the issue.

I'm not sure we had discussed so much details as that, but ultimately the Wizards have final say. Unless they would empower me with the authority to act as I would, and keep them informed. So this is still early ideas yet. Mere considerations, nothing in too much detail. I feel, people have in the past dove into this sea of leadership head first... only to find there are rocks below.. Not everyone of course.. but I would not want to be 'another failure', or bring harm to what is already established.

With a light laugh, a voice of re-assurement came:

Well... *chuckles* No easy answers to such questions.

It could well have continued were it not for Paydon’s voice of obstinacy, his words driving home the truth behind it all however.

What is established now, is clearly not working. What we need is to go back to a time where we were not so worried about saving face and being politically correct, a re-establishment of our code of laws, which you have never waivered from Major. If you believe you are ready to further your role on the island, to usher in a new time for our people I will support this motion.

If I step into this role with the support of the Red Wizards, I am unsure how I can fail.

Simple: you won’t. If you do you will be conveniently removed before anyone notices.

Paydon let out a deep chuckle at his comment. While Dwent knew there was truth buried deep within it, he had no intention of such a scenario playing out to fruition in the first place. Silven rose from his chair, apparently content with the conclusion so far, happy to leave it in the hands of the rest to bring to a finer point.

I must return to some research, It must be done before midnight.

He was wished success and good luck before leaving the room and those who remained pulled together the final details.
Ogreman007
2:23:16 pm GMT 09/08/09
Merely taking it in his stride – after all, mustering a laugh from Paydon is no easy feat – the Major continued:

As Gharos once told me, or near enough as I remember, "If ever I do anything that is not in the best interests of Thay then of course, you shall kill me."

I hope not to sound bitter, but I can tell you from experience that such words are often hollow when things have come around to it. But if this is the course you have chosen for yourselves, I wish you great success.

It would be an honour and a privilege which little else could rival, to take on this role.

One thing of note... while “Major” has been the highest rank for such a backwater posting thus far... in my experience I have yet to see a Major running things. I believe a field promotion to “Colonel” may be in order.

The wizard to his right gave a firm nod of agreement:
I would support this fully.

If it meets with your approval, and you have indeed decided on this course of action, I will submit the request when I turn in my report on Thain.

Without doubt, Esteemed Sar'rel.

While not yet official, I am glad to be the first to address you as Colonel Chambers.

Thank you. I will bring Glory to Thay and renew what her name means here, as it once was.

May it be so.

A glorious dawning has shone upon this pitiful rock

With a grin, Sar’rel had little else to say.

On my next visit I look forward to hearing of the progress, however slight it may be, that has been made. And, of course, whether or not Sephir yet lives. Thank you very much, one and all. I am very pleased to have something to report other than "things are in flux." I hope you will excuse me, but I really should get back to... what I was doing.

With a grin, he pulled down the open visor of his light helmet and stood.

I wish you safe travels on your way back. Personally, I'd hate to travel on a boat so much..

Boat?
He laughed.
Only when I want to.

No sooner had he said it, he disappeared.
Ogreman007
2:58:07 pm GMT 09/08/09
Within the dim-lit room, once tall candles were now flickering endlessly as they came to terminate upon iron cradles below. What had needed to be said had been said, and the opinions were weighed against what they needed, what the Enclave and all it stood for needed. Now, it was time to leave these inner holdings of the building and resurface once again. Back, to where the air was fresh and where the fools were plentiful. On their way up, a gruff voice broke the monotony of their feet across the wooden floor:

Well then Colonel. Perhaps the masses have gathered, you can claim your leadership before them.

A grunt was the first response, followed by words of disregard,

Hmpf... Would they care?

The man’s face cracked a smile, one of many that would surface in the coming weeks ahead, as his right hand reached for the door, pulling it open. Paydon paused in the doorway, looking to his friend, his voice cold and his reasoning blunt:

No, but all the more reason to do so. Force the news down their throats.

Outside however there was no one to be seen, save for the guards who would likely not give a care to what the Thayans might have to say. It wasn't until a few days later that the news fell into the ears of those who would care.

[ image disabled ]
Ogreman007
8:46:59 pm GMT 09/13/09
A week later, in the dark and storm-ridden Drakamyre, Colonel Chambers approached the seemingly abandoned tower that stood tall and triumphant amidst the ruins around it. Within the tower however, resided someone who he felt obligated to inform of the news in the south.

[ image disabled ]

"Greetings, My Lord."

Dwent took off his helmet and bowed deeply to his 'Lord', Khalador.

"I hope you are well? Even in this storm... As unrelenting as ever."

Standing as if to attention, bolt upright with his head straight towards Khalador, he went on.

"I came to inform you of some changes in the south. I know you do not care too greatly for what goes on so far from your tower, but I thought this might interest you."

He went on to explain the conversation he'd had with Vice Consel Sar'rel, and the Wizards Paydon and Silven, the activities of previous leaders and how they had been deemed insufficient, finishing up with how they had need of a leader. Watching Khalador, he hoped the old wizard wasn't expecting to be named such a leader.

"And so, as things stand now, I, Colonel Chambers, am in command of operations: the wizards having given me reign to do as I deem fit and necessary. However, as I swore long ago, I am under oath to 'serve you in thought, heart and fact with you as my master'. Which puts you in an interesting position, as well as myself...
There will be changes in the south, word of which may reach you. But I wanted you to be informed lest you had need of me, and through me further assistance, here. We are moving into interesting times I feel, and soon respect and regularity will be restored to the Enclave and those who serve Thay in the south."

Dwent was not quite sure how Khalador would react. He remembered how manipulative he could be, from past attempts to cause havoc in the south. And his own personal experience with the Red Wizard got him into this situation in the first place. But he knew the wrath of Red Wizards - luckily not through personal experience exactly - and knew Khalador would be better knowing now than finding out in the future having not been told.
Ogreman007
5:19:39 pm GMT 09/17/14
The Struggle Never Ceased To Be.

Years had passed since the collapse of everything they had known.

Dwent held himself partly responsible for the decline in what they clung on to, even despite best efforts on the contrary. He always felt he could have done more, to save more of his loyal soldiers, to preserve more of what they once had - be it territory or trinkets. Things had admittedly picked up recently, and things were beginning to move into a more positive light, even if some secret things still haunted him. But one issue remained, an issue which needed addressing but nobody dared mention even between themselves. Things used to be different - everyone had a place, a role, everyone had their duties to fulfil in the "grand scheme" of things and in their day-to-day lives. While the scheming hadn't stopped, the "common direction" certainly had. But what had also changed was this new fear that seemed to have arisen between certain individuals.

Dwent felt that he had caused some offense to the Khazark, with suggestions that he might participate in ways to hinder the efforts of his wife, the Priestess Nasmat. That encouter was enough to make Dwent certain to never raise the prospect with the Khazark again - but things shouldn't be that way he told himself: of that too he was just as certain. Paydon made for a decent enough Khazark, but Dwent doubted that he liked the trust placed in the cleric Etrich to lead them to into a new era. Etrich didn't make things easy either, showing little respect for anyone but his deity: he had been slow to pick up on the proper processes of addressing and dealing with the Red Wizards almost to the point of getting a personal demonstration of Paydon's wrath. Such would have hindered proceedings before they had even started. Paydon was a cruel and cunning man, a power-house of energy tightly coiled around a cold-heart-core of negativity, a very thin layer of patience delicately placed around his person. Dwent knew that it would not take much to crack the surface and then his patience would be all but destroyed, a torrent of decaying energies and firey doom surging fourth at whatever unwitting fool dared push too hard.
Throughout all of his time on the island Dwent had tried with every effort to never be that fool. And now he dared consider ways to relinquish a degree of authority from the Khazark for himself...

'No it won't be like that,' Dwent tried to convince himself. Again he was thinking about how things would pan out, but however he looked at the situation it ended with a crispy shell of himself remaining where once he had stood. What he was suggesting to himself could not be approached lightly: should not be approached at all, a part of him said. But still he knew that the Vice-Consul Sar'rel had placed enough faith in the then-Major Chambers to offer him effective control of the Enclave and power to the greatest extent a non-Red Wizard might wield. With it came the promotion to Colonel, something he held with high regard even now - he had no army to command but still held the title: he still held the power even if he couldn't wield it. He had not been stripped of the title - he had not been stripped of authority.

Of course, since then Paydon stepped up to take the reigns of the Khazark position, Dwent stepped back and away from a role of leadership in any distinct and obvious way, and that led back to how he came to think on the whole situation in the first place: the discussion with Paydon about Nasmat. And now things were changing and to Dwent at least Paydon showed little to suggest he thought Etrich might be worth investing in..!

Encircled again - Dwent's mind would wander for some time over the facts, the arguments, the pros and cons of trying to steal power : he did not believe that the Khazark would view it in any other way. And what of the others: what would they make of it? They would not know the whole story behind the reasons why.

He would sleep on it, and decide in the morning. It was too-important a decision to make on a tired mind. Too important to get wrong.
Ogreman007
8:10:50 pm GMT 09/19/14
Decision Time.

A meeting of great minds in the Drakamyre concluded with bold ideas & plans, and an even bolder statement. Those who couldn't be present would soon know, through one way or another...

"I will of course need the support of the esteemed Red Wizards, we all will, in this. However I shall act with as much autonomy as possible, where it is acceptable to do so, to keep you all from unnecessary interruptions. As Colonel, it is my duty to carry us -all- forwards, away from the troubles we have seen before, and so I will do this and ensure it is done correctly. I am more suited now than ever before to be your appointed leader, as the Esteemed Vice-Consul did instate long ago - I will be the man he expected me to be, and the embodiment of everything we are. I will lead us..." he said cautiously.

"I will lead us"
he repeated, firmly. He saluted and spoke to adjourn the meeting.

Dwent had made his choice and now his move too. There was so much left to do, and with the weight he felt in anticipation of his declaration now removed, he could lift his head to see the volume of problems he would have to find resolutions to. One thing at a time, he could not fix all that was broken in one fell swoop.
1 2 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 36
  • Members: 0
  • Newest Member: niv
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
1. Ulwahr
2. Malachi Valthorne
3. Dmitry Ahlefeldt
4. Weylan Edris