| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Kyssyt
03:05:25 PM 01/17/20
I agree about the absurdity of conversations that last two days and two nights. but in terms of age - especially long-term characters - passage of time throws up interesting questions.

Jandari
11:09:33 AM 01/17/20
Yeah, it's all subjective and based on the story being told.

Payne
10:11:19 AM 01/17/20
*Points to Dogberts comment*

This is the way.

Dogbert
01:11:39 AM 01/17/20
I prefer to use real-time, myself! I don't imagine any of my characters have really had 4 day conversations, for instance.

Cuchuwyn
08:29:10 PM 01/16/20
It should be noted though that time is a nebulous concept at best on Thain. The answer to any question about how much time has passed between two events is always "however much time is most interesting for the story".

Thranduil Greenleaf
08:18:58 PM 01/16/20
@Kyssyt,
I did the math on that about 10 years ago, and if it hasn't changed, 1 year RL is equal to about 30 years game time on Thain. So, 12 years RL would be about 360 years on Thain.

Kyssyt
08:05:23 PM 01/16/20
What's 12 RL years in Thain years?

Jandari
05:51:49 PM 01/16/20
code? Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start?

Cuchuwyn
05:40:58 PM 01/16/20
You know, this Melphaecto woman may be a bit harsh, but she at least has a code.

Payne
03:31:27 PM 01/16/20
Vaurin is looking like the hero we all need after all.

Forums
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Inq_Damocles, Just Miggen, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, Oberon, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Cleric of Mystra
10:08:14 PM 04/17/09

Registered Member #1083
The glasswork he had ordered was sitting bundled in a corner of the Cobblewall General Store. Faran told him it was simply left at his doorstep, no notes attached, no messengers who to enquire about it. Ashan picked it up, a brow quirked, simply wondering what the avariel expected of him.

As days passed with no word of her, Ashan really had little choice. He felt he owed her something, so he walked quietly into Greenvale and then the meditation chambers.

[ image disabled ]

He placed what he felt was a fair sum on the table, together with a note stating she could contact him if she felt the coin was not good enough. Little did he know that Letheria would never make any business with him again.

He flipped a page of the small, weathered book. It had been gifted to him while in mainland, when one of the gypsies discovered Ashan's affinity for the dark craft. A bizarre hide bound it together and the cover was blank, as well as most of the pages inside. He flipped another page.

Limbweb, distilled medium spider venom.

Appearance: Thick, purple liquid with scent of lillies.
Family: Araneida.
Toxicity: Mild.
Effects: Saps strength from subject.

Ashan opened the ornate box laying on the table and removed one of the carefully arranged vials of the toxin. He held it to the light of the candles, examining its contents. Satisfied, he poured the green-tinted liquid in one of the bowls he had ordered. Seconds later, a small fire burned under the bowl, as Ashan held a curved metal piece just above the glass. Next to the first bowl, he placed another that would be filled with the evaporated water that would condense on the metal.

Hours later, a faint aroma of lillies escaped under the door of the tree in the Poisonwood.

[ Edited 09:04:21 PM 09/27/09 ]

Ashan
Disgruntled, dishonest, dismissive.
Website
Cleric of Mystra
10:45:08 PM 04/19/09

Registered Member #1083
Blazing Eye, ossified hell hound eye.

Appearance: Brilliant, red paste with spicy, acrid odor.
Family: None.
Toxicity: Mild.
Effects: Vulnerability to fire for a short period.

Another page held another brew. Most of the concoctions found in the small book were quite simple and only required one or two ingredients to be included, thus their effects were not great. It was, after all, a beginners' guide and nothing a proper crafter would be found dead with. But alas, Ashan had no one to learn from.

The last pages of the old tome contained more powerful poisons, most of them needing reagents he couldn't dream of finding on the island. Yet it was not these pages that worried him, but the blank ones, begging him to fill them with new knowledge. If he couldn't acquire the ingredients necessary for greater brews, he would have to create his own with what was available.

And truly, the simple thought of the work he had ahead of him made him smile.

Ashan
Website
Cleric of Mystra
08:25:33 PM 04/24/09

Registered Member #1083
((The two previous recipies were directly taken from the Codex Venenorum. Probably all that follows in this thread will be a product of my imagination, though, even if I will be taking into account the ruleset found in the book "Poisoncraft, The Dark Craft" to some extent.))

Entry 1

A long time ago I considered a toxin that would age the target being to the point of death if not taken care of adequately. The time frame in between intoxication and death would obviously depend entirely on the quality and amount of ingredients used, as well as the subject's resilience to poisons.

The toxin attacks the target's organs, slowly degrading them to the point where they will simply stop functioning. However, it leaves the mind untouched so that he/she is aware of what is going on, given the necessary time. Naturally, this will require some kind of ingredient that shields the mind for extended periods of time, at least as long as the toxin is required to last.

Given the nature of such a brew, I believe it safe to assume there will have to be some kind of negative energy involved. To this effect, I have noticed the necromancer Jacen houses what looks like a worm in his undead arm, vaguely resembling the vermin found in morhgs. Thusly, a few days ago I pondered that such a reagent would be perfect, considering it has been feeding off whatever negatively-tainted flesh is left there (maybe just bone? I didn't take a close enough look). This requires questions answered and some experimentation.

I believe spells that regenerate the body would counter the effects, though not remove it altogether. I must acquire some scrolls of such spells to be used in the tests, in order to determine at what rate they would counter the aging. Also, I'm not sure simple antidotes would get rid of the poison, considering it's a far more advanced substance than what is regularly found in the island. In any case, a combination of regeneration effects and antitoxins would likely heal the subject completely.

Of course, this is all theory, but I have a good feeling about it. We will see.

[ image disabled ]

Ashan
Website
Cleric of Mystra
06:53:29 PM 04/28/09

Registered Member #1083
Entry 2

I have spoken with Jacen and to my surprise, he was very interested in the project. I began asking him questions about the effects of negative energy on organs, and then about the worm living off him. Thankfully, both of the answers were the ones I expected and my hopes are high.

Negative energy would, indeed, degrade organs. Also, the worm would be a good reagent as it probably contains high amounts of negative energy within it. Jacen suggested using the essence of a lich as there is poison involved in their making, though I believe that would be too strong for what I need. The initial idea behind the worm was something that would allow an influx of negative energy into the target's system, though not in considerable amounts. After all, the toxin is supposed to last over time instead of producing death instantly.

Jacen offered his help without me asking for it. Of course, he mentioned he would be interested in a sample, were I to succeed. This is possibly related to what that elven woman told me about the necromancer. What was her name? I forget.

Finally, I enquired about illithid. I need something to prevent the negative energy to reach the mind and my first idea was a mind flayer's brain as they are reknowned for their powerful mind abilities. Were I to obtain one, dry it and pulverize it, I believe that would be enough to leave the subject's mind free of the poison. Jacen suggested a friend of his who is apparently expert in such. Eliswathe is her name.

[ image disabled ]

[ Edited 06:55:14 PM 04/28/09 ]

Ashan
Website
Cleric of Mystra
10:34:05 PM 05/26/09

Registered Member #1083
After the last page of the old book, several worn, partially torn apart and even bloodied notes can be found. It can be assumed that these notes are thoughts Ashan felt like writing down but then wasn't satisfied with. Nevertheless, they were stored inside the book. He doesn't know why he keeps them.

A few exceptions remain legible; their style is simple stream of consciousness, diametrically different from his other texts.

I don't keep my trade a secret. I'm very much aware it's frowned upon most and I understand why the situation is such. I know why most wrinkle their nose when they know of who I worship. I'm no fool.

A smith forges weapons that will later end the life of living beings; he may even use them himself to murder. My art isn't any different than his. Thus, I have no reason to hide myself. He doesn't, after all.

Oftentimes I go into details regarding poisoncraft, mostly if someone is interested. Their first question is always
"Who are you going to use it on?". Is it really that detached from reality that I simply craft for the love of the art? Using previous examples, no one asks the smith who he is going to slay with his brand new longsword. I fail to see why there should be a difference.

Alas, this is the time when preconceptions come into pl--

The note is ended abruptly.

Ashan
Website
Cleric of Mystra
12:47:23 AM 07/18/09

Registered Member #1083
By the quality and style of the handwriting of this specific entry, it can be safely assumed that Ashan was not in a particularly calm state of mind during the process.

Entry 3

I have decided to carry on, even if Jacen has not contacted me yet or given me any results. I sent him a missive months ago, asking whether he had simply lost interest or was busy; he replied stating he had forgotten about my project and proposed another meeting so I could refresh his memory. No way in hell. He has not been around anyway.

Several moons ago, I joined Pravus and others in a patrol of the illithid settlement in order to determine if the lich Zhrindhar had struck some kind of deal with the aberrations. While we found nothing conclusive (hell if I cared), we did meet an alhoon, an illithid outcast of great power that turned towards lichdom. At the moment, I did not realize how convenient this encounter was.

Weeks later, I theorized that the brain of an alhoon was the perfect reagent for blocking out the effects from the subject's mind while still providing a measure of negative energy, so I asked Phrixus and Kurasa to help me. We got there swiftly, and while it took us quite long to find the alhoon's laboratory (ah, the beauty of my memory), we finally found it and took it down.

I used the Blightbringer to retrieve the brain, and I am happy to say that it is mostly undamaged. While there are several details to iron out, I believe that this is a good start. I need to figure out how to properly add this to the rest of the components; there is enough of the brain that can I use a section or two of it for testing pruposes.

I still need to see to those worms. Phrixus has none. Bah.

[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]

Ashan
Website

Jump:     Back to top