The Island of Thain
A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

 

Welcome
Username:

Password:


Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup


Kyssyt
03:05:25 PM 01/17/20
I agree about the absurdity of conversations that last two days and two nights. but in terms of age - especially long-term characters - passage of time throws up interesting questions.

Jandari
11:09:33 AM 01/17/20
Yeah, it's all subjective and based on the story being told.

Payne
10:11:19 AM 01/17/20
*Points to Dogberts comment*

This is the way.

Dogbert
01:11:39 AM 01/17/20
I prefer to use real-time, myself! I don't imagine any of my characters have really had 4 day conversations, for instance.

Cuchuwyn
08:29:10 PM 01/16/20
It should be noted though that time is a nebulous concept at best on Thain. The answer to any question about how much time has passed between two events is always "however much time is most interesting for the story".

Thranduil Greenleaf
08:18:58 PM 01/16/20
@Kyssyt,
I did the math on that about 10 years ago, and if it hasn't changed, 1 year RL is equal to about 30 years game time on Thain. So, 12 years RL would be about 360 years on Thain.

Kyssyt
08:05:23 PM 01/16/20
What's 12 RL years in Thain years?

Jandari
05:51:49 PM 01/16/20
code? Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start?

Cuchuwyn
05:40:58 PM 01/16/20
You know, this Melphaecto woman may be a bit harsh, but she at least has a code.

Payne
03:31:27 PM 01/16/20
Vaurin is looking like the hero we all need after all.



Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion
 
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Defending Davenshire
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Inq_Damocles, Just Miggen, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, Oberon, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Caniak
07:52:06 AM 02/07/09
Registered Member #778
Joined: 05:01:06 AM 05/17/06
Posts: 231
A report is written, grudgingly and with much grumbling, in tripicate for Mayor Greenleaf, Lt. Hillows, and the Captain of the Ridgeshield Guard.

Sir,

After my normal rotation guarding the Ridgeshield I walked the road to the bogs, as I'm accustomed, before heading home. The trip out was uneventful and the bog seemed quiet so I thought all was well. Unfortuantely, on the way back I was lashed with flames, and two small winged devils were giggling at trying to set me on fire. Dispatching one I chased the other a ways though he was too fast for me. He did, however, make the mistake of flying outside of cover where my arrows could finish it off.

At this point I ran the rest of the way back to the lads on the Ridge to see if they were under attack. Luckily they weren't and I told them of the attack and bade them tell the Captain while I started to search the Ridge. The Ridge was thick with devils, though they were staying well away from our lads, knowing the skill of our marksmen.

Dispatching a couple devils outside the orchard at the base of the Ridge I met up with some visitors I had welcomed to town earlier. Pereppi and Salla, whom I later found out to be with the Diamondeyes mercenary company, Tavi, a member of a group Splendid Hins, and Tig, a friend of Splendid Hins if not a member herself. Both these groups are run by right-sized, I haven't had dealings with the mercenary group but I've helped the Splendid Hins on several occasions and know them to try and help the isle, dispatching evils as they can. Anyway, these four ladies offered to help.

We first checked the town to make sure all was well, which it seemed to be. We ran into a citizen who mentioned that devilkin came out near dawn to steal oranges from our orchards, something I hadn't known, but before I could ask her name to get back to her for information a devil flew by with a chasing guard and we had to help. Again the devil was too fast and made it to the cave on the Ridge, as we were getting ready to move up a powerful spell was unleashed, I've never been hit by a spell so powerful and have no idea what powers these devils may control.

We started up the hill, clearing the Ridge as we went and entered the cave. At this point I was overcome as we were set upon by a wave of devils. These were larger, including warriors and archers. I'm not sure how they were dispatched as when I was revived everyone else was preparing for further battle. Farther in there was a second group, including some spellwielder of great power. These devils appeared to be in the middle of a ritual around an evil altar and we were able to surprise them. After a vicious fight the devils were vanquished and the altar destroyed, causing a small explosion so anyone walking the Ridge near the cave may want to watch for possible falling rock loosened by the blast.

We searched the cave but found no evidence of what the ritual was so I have no idea if more devils will be coming soon or what they might be after. I will of course make the cave a normal part of my rounds now that we know it is active again. If you have any further questions I am, as always, at the service of Davenshire and messages can be left at home and/or with Ma as I frequently eat meals at Ma and Dem's.

Killian Thistleburrow
Davenshire Auxiliary
Back to top
Caniak
11:21:35 AM 02/09/09
Registered Member #778
Joined: 05:01:06 AM 05/17/06
Posts: 231
A letter is left for the mayor on his desk.

Mayor Greenleaf,

Just a note to let you know of something Iíve noticed to the north. While walking through Steinkreis the feeling I get is one of veiled hostility. There seems to be some resentment of our community of Davenshire for the prosperity we have lately had. While nothing overt is being shown, it seems the closer it gets to Hamleyís full restoration and expansion the more resentment is being felt by the folks to the north. They have suffered and look to be able to blame someone for their suffering. It seems to me the easiest target will be us.

Our prosperity is in good part due to our new source of ore but I get the feeling folks are only looking to the few goods we could get through and the prices of them. There seems to be no regard for the amount of work we have done to harvest, nor the expense of making wagons, outfitting them, and hiring crew for the trip north. There seems to be no regard at all for the lives lost to undead, bandits, ogres, goblins, kobolds, and if a recent rumor is true, perhaps drow. They seem to assume everything we were able to grow went directly to our pockets. The thought is that we raised prices to make our lives more comfortable at the expense of others rather than helping to support the families of those who have died and have no way to earn income. They hear of our lush fields and feel we dine at lavish banquets rather than send as much food north as possible, not understanding the dangers of the roads and how much gets lost.

Iíll not waste more time on the reasons as you know the difficulties we have moving produce north. Just wanted you to be aware of some sentiments I have observed and that it may cause us difficulties selling our goods in the near future. Iím a guard, not a diplomat, and so have no idea what we can do to change public opinion but perhaps some of our community leaders can come up with an idea of how to make sure we are seen in a better light by the northern cities and towns before it affects our trade adversely. Thank you for your time, if you need anything further just let me know. Messages can be left with Ma or at my home.

Killian Thistleburrow
Davenshire Auxiliary



((OOC: This thread is open to anyone that has dealings around Davenshire. Especially any events that would be common knowledge so folks that arenít logged on while they happen can still know whatever would be expected they know by living there or visiting frequently))
Back to top
Virahor
10:35:02 AM 02/10/09

Registered Member #1075
Joined: 05:48:57 PM 06/19/07
Posts: 774
(From here):

Kai Fan sensed an odd feeling permeating the Feywood. A growing unease, a wildness that disturbed his meditations, and left him yearning for the comfort and company of others for the first time in many years. He hitched Gerald and Harold, the elderly oxen back up to the weatherworn, vine-covered caravan, and cajoled them into leaving the Feywood.

Hamley wasn't much better. Stopping to pick up some freshly-harvested produce Kai Fan was certain he wasn't welcome at all, and wasn't that an awfully steep price just for some vegetables? As he passed through the village the whispering became more obvious.

"Hin from down South..."

"Isn't he the one what lives in the woods?"

"Content to watch us suffer. Probably keeping an eye on us at that."

"Lot of strange stuff coming out of those woods these days too."


Kai Fan bought what he needed, and left as soon as he could for Davenshire, arriving at a changed village. Davenshire wasn't going to remain a sleepy village at the soggy end of Thain for much longer, for better or for worse. He parked the caravan in the (fortunately still-)secluded grove on the edge of the village, let Gerald and Harold loose to graze, and set out to learn what he could.

Kai Fan - Monk of the Setting Sun - Small Steps on the Sublime Way - Currently based in The Nook
Kaeridris - Oghma's own Vatican assassin - CO-AOTSS
Saradoc - Speakeasy - Hiding out
Feroz - Artificer from a foreign land - Ante
Kalenz - Fey'ri Weaponsmith - Fey'ri Tales
Back to top
Edrick
01:45:12 AM 02/11/09
Midnight Mayhem Master of Doom.

Registered Member #16
Joined: 05:27:25 AM 02/24/04
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 1313
A tale told to Mayor Greenleaf, Captain of the Ridguard and Lt Drado Hillows and a similar tale is spread across Davenshire.


Sir,

I am Thrarius Twigbasher of the Splendid Hins and have something to report about the incident with a shipment bound for the Watch. A carter named Dorry Highfellow ran into the Trade near the crossroads all distraught startling the folks within. He mentioned that his wagon and Ox were just ambushed and taken just south of the crossroads by some dark clothed shadowy bandits. At the time I was fortunate to be speaking to Peter Highill of the Right Sized Knights for it didn't take long for us to take action. As we walked outside the building we told Dorry to just stay inside and we would return with his goods and his ox. A promise I wish we hadn't put into this fellows head.

Anyhow as Peter and I ran south past the stationed guards overlooking the territory of the kobolds we could hear battle ahead. Sure enough we saw where the altercation had happened then followed the wheel tracks off the path leading toward the cave of kobolds. But upon heading closer a dart pierced Peter stunning him momentary as a few more got fired from a crossbow bolt. Once I located the foe I ran after him and gave Peter some time to regain control of his body. Further inspecting the crossbowman we could now see what we were actually dealing with were drow. Knowing that Peter had keener senses at spotting out hidden enemies so he took the lead. We found numerous kobolds slain and sure enough two more drow who yelled below something in their foreign tongues as they both charged at us. We had a problem with one of them but another Hin popped out of the shadows to our aid his name was Tommy.

Not having much time we gave him a quick update of our situation and he agreed to continue helping us retrieve the goods. A few altercations of battle between there and into the blue hue cavern further below but we stood strong and backed each other up. As we were getting closer the opposition was stiffer around every bend. Eventually Peter and Tommy snuck ahead to locate how many were in the opening ahead. I awaited the information and Tommy came back out and said Peter asked him if he will get us some reinforcements we would need them. (He actually had to log so this is how I interpreted into story)

As I waited sure enough two humans showed up within a few moments one named Kent and a lady Elizabeth. Gave them the situation and then I heard Peter screaming ahead so we all took charge into the Drow bandits. Peter was already attacking and we came in flanking which gave us an advantage. Once we were in the battle Peter disappeared from the front and reappeared next to us with his uncanny ability to hide in plain sight. In the background the wagon and a few crates were set ablaze. The battle was over without any casualties and minor wounds but Elizabeth healed them up quickly. But alas we were too late what ever the drow wanted from this shipment had already taken it, leaving a few guards to buy them time to escape.
We tried to salvage anything we could but nothing was left even the Ox was slain and set ablaze the fire engulfed the crates completely and the smoke was fiercely choking us out so we headed out for fresh air. We are sorry we didnít save any of it but I hope this information will aid in possible prevention of such a situation to happen again.

Signed
Thrarius Twigbasher


*Following part was only for Mayors ears*

We told this very same tale to Dorry the Carter and we asked him more questions about the shipment I hope you do not mind. He didnít seem to like the questioning but I needed it to report correctly. Apparently it was at least twenty thousand gold of Grain he was shipping for a Krell at Ravens watch. We all found it odd that the Drow would do this for grain alone but perhaps even they are starving below like some of the folks on the top of the island. Unless something specific was added to one of the crates by the loaders then that also could explain the attack. But I only tell you this incase you wish to investigate it further in more detail.

[ Edited 11:22:25 AM 02/11/09 ]

I am going to put you to sleep and I ain't talking about counting sheep. I am talking about six feet deep!!!!





Dontella wrote ...

Edrick, DM Mode - Let the Bodies Hit the Floor, Drowning Pool.

Back to top
Caniak
01:51:56 PM 02/12/09
Registered Member #778
Joined: 05:01:06 AM 05/17/06
Posts: 231
Killian scowled as he tramped back into Davenshire proper. He was hungry and tired but he needed to try and find some answers, and he already may have waited too long. Sighing and turning away from his home he headed to the small island of the human mage.

Standing before the door of Hantar Bential, Killian did what he could to dust himself off. Then snorted in disgust looking at the blood and muck covering his armor from his searching of the bogs. Shaking his head slightly he knocks, entering as the mage calls out from inside.

He smiled wearily as he approached the mage, then drew himself up to speak, "Good afternoon, Mr. Bential. I'm sorry for my appearance but I felt I should come as quickly as possible. We had some trouble with undead on the Ridgeshield yesterday."

"Now, we have an occasional attack by a creature or two near mornin' if somethin' wanders away from the bog, but this happened, mayhap, three hours before dusk. The fog never fully let off throughout the day and suddenly it thickened to where we had trouble seein' far at all. Then out of the fog we had an attack from one spirit. It was unsettlin' but no big worry, just strange at that time of day, but a little later we had a lot more trouble. We were attacked by a horde of skeletons and zombies. We protected ourselves well enough and when my shift ended I spent the rest of the night searchin' through the bog for anythin' out of the ordinary. I didn't find anythin' out of the normal shamblin' undead so here I am. I picked up some bones from the skeletons and hope you might be able to find if there's anythin' behind the attack. Some mage, or devils, or whatever. If you can't, well, I'm no farther back than when I started, if you can find somethin', well, it's a place to start."

"Anyway, you can leave a message for me at my home or with Ma, as I'm frequently eatin' at her and Dem's place. Thank you for tryin' to help even if nothin' comes of it." Handing him the bones he grabbed after the attack Killian smiles at him again and leaves to get cleaned off.

[ image disabled ]
[ 778_hantar_bential.jpg ]
Back to top
Virahor
05:02:32 AM 02/22/09

Registered Member #1075
Joined: 05:48:57 PM 06/19/07
Posts: 774
Kai Fan took to keeping watch with the Davenshire when his studies permitted. On one such occasion, Merta and Merimac caught sight of a known half-Drow approacing the defenses, only to leave as swiftly as she arrived once noiced. Kai Fan observed no other threats during his recent time on the Ridgeshield.

Kai Fan - Monk of the Setting Sun - Small Steps on the Sublime Way - Currently based in The Nook
Kaeridris - Oghma's own Vatican assassin - CO-AOTSS
Saradoc - Speakeasy - Hiding out
Feroz - Artificer from a foreign land - Ante
Kalenz - Fey'ri Weaponsmith - Fey'ri Tales
Back to top
Caniak
12:37:28 PM 02/25/09
Registered Member #778
Joined: 05:01:06 AM 05/17/06
Posts: 231
Killian stood on an outcropping of rock overlooking the docks of Davenshire. The lighthouse loomed above him over his left shoulder, currently bathed in the late afternoon sunlight. The sounds of Captain Brayer and his crew getting prepared for the trip to Websterís Landing lifted over the wind and the waves that relentlessly crash against the cliff face. It was a beautiful way to spend an afternoon, if anyone was bothering to pay attention to it.

In this case, however, it was all just background noise. Killian found himself here because no one else ever seemed to come, and if he had paced over the dozen steps across his home one more time he would have felt the need to break something. He didnít have the gold to replace anything, currently, so finding himself here was the better option. MaybeÖ there was a certain soothing release to breaking things sometimes.

The elven wizard, Carylduil, hadnít found anything of consequence in his trip to Davenshire. That pretty much left the hin right where he started. At least the wizard hadnít felt any malignant magics at hand, still, attacks had been much too frequent and there seemed to be no clue as to why. Hantar either hadnít finished his magical studies of the skeleton bones Killian had left him or hadnít found anything and just had yet to send word. Davenshire was Hantarís home as well so he might not want to accept the results if he found nothing. It would be understandable; Killian wasnít too keen on figuring out nothing himself.

On the other hand, some things were looking better than before. He had met a few others with the best interest of Davenshire in mind. Thrarius, of course, he knew could be counted on. He was always ready to smite an evil that presented itself, much more if it tried to find root in his home. The patrol with Kai, Beth, Merta, and Meri gave Killian some confidence that there were folk to be reckoned with that Davenshire could count on. And then there was Peter. He was going to have to revise his opinion of that one somewhat.

A Knight of Davenshire. He needed to talk with him about the effort against the stingers anyway, just to get the fact separated from the rumors, but the town was abuzz with his promotion. Granted, Killian had only adventured with Peter a couple times and seen him a few more at the crossroads, but still, he wanted another look at him to see what heíd missed. Killianís impression had always been that he was flashy, overconfident, more interested in impressing the ladies than seriously applying himself. With everyone talking about him anyway it was easy to probe folks for more information. What he had heard was impressive. The hin looking over the docks shook his head slightly, he hated underestimating folks. At least in this case it was a blessing; Davenshire had a hero and Knight to protect it.
Back to top
Caniak
01:07:37 PM 02/26/09
Registered Member #778
Joined: 05:01:06 AM 05/17/06
Posts: 231
Killian smiled as he gazed into the fire and thought about the day just past. It had been a good day and he hadnít had one in a while. The Ridge had been quiet all night and he had patrolled the road with Thrarius, and again all was quiet. Then as they crossed over the pass to the Ridge, Thrar made the suggestion to check in the strange cave as well. Killian was accustomed to checking the cave anyway since the trouble with the devils, but with the huge gate protecting the annoying devils there was generally not much he could do. This time, however, he was with a Paladin of Arvoreen.

There were a few dogs in the cave, dark and strangely insubstantial, which were quickly dispatched. Where this would normally be the end of the patrol in the cave, the divine warrior had other ideas. Bidding Killian to grasp his shoulder and run through the gate when he felt Thrarius move, the Paladin of the Defender confidently moved forward. Killian knew the effects of the door but it was still a shock, and knowing there were devils inside ready to kill them he hesitated slightly.

Killian was still unsure exactly what happened next, he just felt Thrarius reach back and grab his cloak, tugging him forward. The next thing he knew his enemies were plain before him and he felt elation. He moved quickly as the monstrosities cast spells of invisibility, making sure to get close enough to hear the flap of their wings before they could move away. Battlecries in the name of Arvoreen on their lips they moved through the cavern, laying waste to the enemies of Davenshire. Before long it was over, and the only two moving through the cavern were the satisfied hin.

Still smiling and thinking of the day just passed, Killian slipped into slumber. It was the deepest he had slept in a while, the worries of the defense of Davenshire submerged under the thoughts of so recent a success.
Back to top
Caniak
02:10:10 PM 02/26/09
Registered Member #778
Joined: 05:01:06 AM 05/17/06
Posts: 231
A letter is left on the desk of Mayor Greenleaf.

Sir,

I just wanted to report some activity of the Thayans in the area just below the Ridgeshield. They have some men pacing off areas and studying the land, making a lot of notations into books. They tend to ignore any cordial advances and seem to irritably continue with their work. There is really no indication what they are looking for so I just continued on with my patrol.

The area they are in disturbs me a little as it is close to the new pass that has been opened over the Ridgeshield. With the pass being undefended it presents a myriad of problems. There is easy access for flanking our defenses as well as giving a place for covering fire from a height advantage. The pass also gives easy access to the strange cavern where devils are known to dwell, probably a huge temptations for wizards of their ilk. Lastly, if an enemy was to take precautions with invisibility they could get straight through to Davenshire around our defenses. The bog seems to be encroaching slowly on the lands to the Ridgeshield, and standing watch I can assure you the mists never fully recede any more, day or night. In a few years time the fog may make invisibility unnecessary for an invading force.

Being a volunteer it is not my place to question the placement of Davenshireís guards. For this reason I bring the dilemma to you so that maybe you can put it to our community leaders as well as the commanders of the troops. While I know we donít have enough guards to fortify both the road and the pass, I wonder if maybe some guards could be assigned just outside Davenshire proper. A safety measure to hold until the guard from the main Ridgeshield access can come to help them defend. I have spoken with Thrarius Twigbasher and he has mentioned he would guard the pass as he can, and I will do so a well, but that is scant coverage and I fear other arrangements would be needed to be truly effective.

Lastly, I was wondering if we have anyone who could go to the Thayans and ask what their purpose is. They are hardly being secretive, if a bit uncooperative, and I thought if we had someone well spoken we could send as an emissary, perhaps we could see what their intentions are. If they were to get control of the road it would be devastating for trade. Once the emissary came back we could send scouts to find out what aspects they arenít willing to tell us about.

Thank you for the time you took to read this letter. I leave it to folks better able than a volunteer guard to make these decisions. If you have any questions or need anything of me just let me know.

In service of Davenshire,

Killian Thistleburrow
Davenshire Auxiliary
Back to top
Edrick
08:10:41 PM 03/02/09
Midnight Mayhem Master of Doom.

Registered Member #16
Joined: 05:27:25 AM 02/24/04
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 1313
*Telling this tale to some laughing patrons at Ma and Dem including off duty guards men*

Okay.. I was sitting at the docks two nights ago in deep meditation. In the background I could hear the faint sounds of sawing. Briefly I thought oh must be some more developing of the village. A smile came over my face and I was back into my meditation. Then again.. wait its in the middle of the night. And the sawing sound was much closer now and as I opened my eyes I was falling thru the docks.

With a loud splash! I landed on a perfectly cut circle of planks looking up at where I was once sitting. Being fully armored I was in no form to move around much or else I would tip over. All my options were to yell for help but the current was starting to drift me out to sea. I glanced around and saw nobody around who could of done this to me. So as I drifted past the captainís ship I yelled up to him. But the Gnomes were making such a racket across the bay I am sure he could not even hear me.

Even worse so I floated out past the gnomeís homes and I swear one of them walked to the window spotted me. When all he did was close the shutters as smoked continued to billowing out the seams.

I was at a loss drifting past the Thayan encampment now. Knowing it was worth a try I gave out a scream trying to splash my way toward the shore. It was useless they did not even bother to look out into the sea.

Luckily for me my splashing got the attention of Firithi and my new friend Gaelywn whom were inspecting the activity of the Thayans nearby. They tossed a few ropes at me but the lengths were just too short. So they binding the two ropes together and Gaelywn with his bow aimed for the platform I was on.

With a Thud he struck it just in time for as the small platform spun around in the water I was now facing a huge ship coming my way. Between the two they pulled me back to safety. I told them the same tale I am telling you all right now which they took it much better then laughing at me. But perhaps itís just the Ale and the sort of funny tale come to think of it.

We all investigated the docks and found not a single clue of what could have happened. I am thinking it some mischievous devil or something. Anyhow I just tell you this so that you are on the look out for any mishaps like this one. It can be avoided and fortunate for me Arvoreen was looking over me that night to send me saviors.

"Anyhow Ma can I have a mug of milk?"

*more drunken laughter as they patted Thrarius's back*


I am going to put you to sleep and I ain't talking about counting sheep. I am talking about six feet deep!!!!





Dontella wrote ...

Edrick, DM Mode - Let the Bodies Hit the Floor, Drowning Pool.

Back to top
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Powered by e107 Forum System


Connect to us with 93.184.199.24 or thain.no-ip.org
Online
Guests: 11, Members: 2 ...
Tuckerr99 viewing forum.php
Cuchuwyn viewing forum.php

most ever online: 155
(Members: 0, Guests: 155) on 07:15:05 AM 12/11/16

Members: 1874
Newest member: Bingo

Now Playing
1. Jarrel Kley
2. Gram Mason
3. Seth Evershade
4. Joan
5. Aarag Jerz
6. Nore Yanicelin
7. Arial Benneset
8. Brooklyn Ja'Quoi
9. Jiztroyir Miqrohorj
10. Sage Evershade
Render time: 0.0909 sec, 0.0100 of that for queries. DB queries: 30.