| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Kyssyt
03:05:25 PM 01/17/20
I agree about the absurdity of conversations that last two days and two nights. but in terms of age - especially long-term characters - passage of time throws up interesting questions.

Jandari
11:09:33 AM 01/17/20
Yeah, it's all subjective and based on the story being told.

Payne
10:11:19 AM 01/17/20
*Points to Dogberts comment*

This is the way.

Dogbert
01:11:39 AM 01/17/20
I prefer to use real-time, myself! I don't imagine any of my characters have really had 4 day conversations, for instance.

Cuchuwyn
08:29:10 PM 01/16/20
It should be noted though that time is a nebulous concept at best on Thain. The answer to any question about how much time has passed between two events is always "however much time is most interesting for the story".

Thranduil Greenleaf
08:18:58 PM 01/16/20
@Kyssyt,
I did the math on that about 10 years ago, and if it hasn't changed, 1 year RL is equal to about 30 years game time on Thain. So, 12 years RL would be about 360 years on Thain.

Kyssyt
08:05:23 PM 01/16/20
What's 12 RL years in Thain years?

Jandari
05:51:49 PM 01/16/20
code? Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start?

Cuchuwyn
05:40:58 PM 01/16/20
You know, this Melphaecto woman may be a bit harsh, but she at least has a code.

Payne
03:31:27 PM 01/16/20
Vaurin is looking like the hero we all need after all.

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Southern Expansion
Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Ogreman007, Vaedryan, Inq_Damocles, Just Miggen, Falkala, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Tuckerr99, Warlord Kro, Oberon, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
Ogreman007
02:16:03 PM 03/26/09
'Lupi made me do it

Registered Member #175
Sarleta's note wrote ...
While I am gone, Major Chambers will be in charge.

Dwent stood before the neatly written script hanging from the noticeboard. He recalled conversations with the Khazark not long ago where she made remarks of travelling to Thay; to present her case for resources; to visit the nation for herself; to see what they each were fighting for. He had not truly thought about being in command even with such discussions, brief as they were, but wondered who else would really be more suitable. Of course there was Paydon: he himself was a student of Sar'rel's and Dwent was suprised that he had not been made Khazark outright - perhaps there was some unsuitability to having Paydon lead, even temporarily, that only the wizards knew of. There was Silven though he'd spent so much time of late researching he was hardly seen. There were few left besides Xoz and Marzac but how could they be in charge when already charged with running stores - they would not have the ability or time to get about the island. Dwent was the highest-ranking member of the military and so perhaps with the rest of the details in mind it made sense for him to be given this responsibility. Perhaps not, but he was certain in his mind that he would succeed. While not having had such a 'kind' of authority before as this honour, he felt confident in his own mind. And that confidence would be seen in his plans: Oh yes, he had plans.

A few days after Sarleta had gone and his first 'official' business was already underway, the orders given to Hakim of the Auxillia: reconnaissance.
Other orders would follow in time, though one more did he have to deliver before he would rest his head on this long day...

Captain Rashand.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Our plans to attack the duergar have been postponed for long enough.
Now is the time to strike, and strike with the force of Thay.

~Major D. Chambers.

Stories of Dwentiness (mostly for my reference: incomplete):

~|~ One Man and His God ~|~ Of Gold and Ravens ~|~ The Red General ~|~No Business Link Gnoll Business ~|~ Witness the Might of Thay ~|~ Dwent's Gamble: Everything to Lose ~|~ The evil that men do (iv) ~|~ Centuries of ash (a minor role in the overall story but very important in Dwent’s development.) ~|~ Opening a can of Demons ~|~ The evil that men do (pt 3) ~|~ Dune(s) ~|~ The Red Project ~|~ Fallout ~|~ Red Memoirs (credit to Payne for this account on Davenshire’s Destruction) ~|~ The Screaming Bandit ~|~ Power Struggle ~|~ Southern Expansion ~|~ The evil that men do (pt. 2) ~|~ By the Light of Thay ~|~ Betrayal: a Friend or a Nation? ~|~ Plans of Expansion ~|~ The Best of the Rest ~|~ A Change of Face (includes the murder of Leonard’s parents) ~|~ The evil that men do
~|~
Music for Dwent - Turisas: Fear the Fear

Information about the Thayan Guild on Thain

Want to get involved but not sure how? Just ask!

[ image disabled ]
Ogreman007
05:11:21 PM 03/26/09
'Lupi made me do it

Registered Member #175
Soon, a notice finds its way up on the noticeboards in the Enclave and Trading Post, alongside Sarleta's letter of departure.
[ image disabled ]

~|~ One Man and His God ~|~ Of Gold and Ravens ~|~ The Red General ~|~No Business Link Gnoll Business ~|~ Witness the Might of Thay ~|~ Dwent's Gamble: Everything to Lose ~|~ The evil that men do (iv) ~|~ Centuries of ash (a minor role in the overall story but very important in Dwent’s development.) ~|~ Opening a can of Demons ~|~ The evil that men do (pt 3) ~|~ Dune(s) ~|~ The Red Project ~|~ Fallout ~|~ Red Memoirs (credit to Payne for this account on Davenshire’s Destruction) ~|~ The Screaming Bandit ~|~ Power Struggle ~|~ Southern Expansion ~|~ The evil that men do (pt. 2) ~|~ By the Light of Thay ~|~ Betrayal: a Friend or a Nation? ~|~ Plans of Expansion ~|~ The Best of the Rest ~|~ A Change of Face (includes the murder of Leonard’s parents) ~|~ The evil that men do
~|~

[ image disabled ]
Ogreman007
01:06:00 PM 03/27/09
'Lupi made me do it

Registered Member #175
'Paydon had a point.'

The Major mused to himself as he was writing a part of his "master plan" in the Enclave. He found he allowed his mind to wander for a moment, back over the conversation that had gone on in the Trading post. What started as a sharing of ideas lead up to its inevitable conclusion, one which Dwent felt went rather well: all things considered. . .

[ image disabled ]

Curse the drow for interfering. Removing her was not a problem, but she had listened to everything and dared to blackmail the Major with the information?

"I'm gonna tell on you" she said. To who? The Major hadn't done anything wrong either, in fact likely done good. Paydon needed to know his actions could be viewed as obstructive to the collective good of Thayan interests on Thain. But, as Dwent had concluded moments ago, he did have a point. Though Paydon was going about making that point in the wrong way, the fact was that the Trading Post was still making profit. People were still visiting, as the annoying drow provided evidence of. Closing it down should really have begun after the construction to the south was well under-way: perhaps a point Sarleta had not considered in her haste to bring as many soldiers back to help as possible.

Aside from that though, the benefits of the southern consolidation - once it would be completed - far outweighed the benefits of how things were now. It was Dwent's ambition, along with the others in his mind, to push things along in the south.

He didn't mind that Marzac hadn't moved out yet, though he was concerned for his safety alone. And Dwent was now taking residence at the Enclave too - but Paydon would be in the north now: any foolish enough to take advantage of a security lapse would discover their mistake the hard way.

And so for now, he would sit easily in his comfortable chair, finishing the task of putting the last of his thoughts to parchment.
Soon his orders would be distributed and the ball would be in motion.

~|~

[ image disabled ]
Ogreman007
04:31:23 PM 03/27/09
'Lupi made me do it

Registered Member #175
It was done.

Dwent had collated the information he knew of everything that the Thayans were up to, and in a small book had, for himself at least, prepared notes on the orders he was about to give.

In sealed envelopes, the texts were delivered to the immediate military figures that could begin or indeed continue their individual tasks.

While no foundations were yet in place for the new enclave, the foundations to a much greater task were underway.
Thayan Superiority.

((PMs will be en-route when I can get back in game))

~|~

[ image disabled ]
dithered
01:42:22 PM 03/28/09
This is my boomstick.

Registered Member #763
Returning from his now-routine patrols in the cursed bog, Auxillia Merrick Theraos strode crisply down the road and pushed open the gates in the Southern Enclave. The guards acknowledged him with recognition. If they were observant, they may have noticed a hint of a smile upon the veneer of his disciplined soldier's face. They did not know it, but he was musing with pride on how far he had come since his arrival here on the Island of Thain, so many months past.

When he first stepped off the boat after that long journey at sea, he remembered being underwhelmed. His first sight was a pitiful little town full of many who were barely fit to serve meals or tend fields. Soon after, he found that the lands here were far more wild than anticipated, much of the Isle was undeveloped. Disease was allowed to run rampant amongst the animal population, and vermin races such a Goblins and Kobolds had not yet been culled. The influence of the Enclave was hardly seen, itself little more than a walled over seadock. Many of those belonging to lesser races and civilizations roamed about with impudence and shared little respect for true culture.

All of this had pleased him however. He had left his Priadorian homestead, along with the blessings of his wife and child, to seek the glory of Thay and to bring honor to the Theraos name. This wretched little Island had proved to be all that was promised. A place in much need of education and expansion, a place of great opportunity to those who were wiling to work for it. The day he finally swore his Oath of Sacramentum to the Esteemed Khazark had been a proud one indeed, and fine reward for his efforts to serve Thay.

As he spoke with the Watch Commander of his patrol, a runner came bearing a letter with the official seal of the Enclave. Auxillia Theraos excused himself from the officer and read carefully the orders that Major Chambers had sent him. It was yet another reward. It seemed his days of monotonous patrols were coming to end and he was to be set towards something more meaningful. He headed towards the barracks and gathered the gear and supplies he would need, the trip to Hamely was a long one.

Orin Stonetooth: Deepwalker, Steward & Mar'Karakan of Hammersong ♫ How Heavy This Axe
"Jack" Dretsch: Blackheart, Scoundrel, Lord of the Fray ♫ The Creeper
Twyllg Wythrnen: Grig, Fiddler, Crafty Trickster ♫ River Euphrates
Raster Tane: Hardliner Lawful Righteous, Priest of the Triad ♫ Shining Through
Manley Augustus Buchanan: Islander, Beachcomber, Fishermon ♫ Cool Breeze

2007 Fav Evil-Nasty & 2012 Best Character -> Dretsch (Poison on the Wind | ♫ Rumors of War)
2009 Favorite Hero -> Orin Stonetooth (Dungeons & Flagons | Lost Halls | Shades of Grey | ♫ Odyssey )
2009 & 2012 Best Player Storyline -> The Fray (Enter the Fray | Fray #1 | Fray #2 | ♫ What is Fight Club?)
2013 & 2014 Most Bloodthirsty DM -> ♫ Total Party Kill Theme Song

"I'd kill for you...but I hate you" (Izzy)
"You know, a compliment from you makes me feel vaguely... unclean, Jack." (Edgar Arnand)
"But I know this: a man called Jack pulled the Casserdon job, a mid-sea heist of eight tonnes of emerald wine. A man called Jack keeps a scroll that unfurls the length of your arm with debts, every one of them legitimate and not a one of them kind. A man called Jack can turn into black ooze and seep through the cracks of any cell, any bunker, a welded iron box, for Kreis' sake, and get what he wants out of you." (Klaudius Korvalis)
Website
Cleric of Mystra
04:23:01 PM 03/28/09

Registered Member #1083
A scroll was extended on the old table. Ink and quill rested at its side, while Hakim sat on the chair. It felt good to finally sit and relax after a week of constant walking, researching and looking for the right people to talk to. Yet, there was still the report to write. He leaned forward and brought the candle closer to the parchment, but his sight lingered on the flickering flame for long seconds. The heat made him remember the desert.

He shook his head, a faint smile playing on his lips. He had duties now, and he wasn't going to take longer than necessary.

Reconnaissance report

To: Major D. Chambers
Subject: Davenshire

As per orders, I have acquired information regarding the halfling town to the south of Thain named Davenshire. Along with what the Major directly asked –the halflings' leaders- I have performed minor research on other aspects of the southern town.

Leadership
It is unclear what type of government the town is ruled under, though I understand there were elections in order to choose the current mayor, Peragrin Greenleaf, so it must be assumed it is some kind of democracy. Upon speaking with Greenleaf, he was intent on asking help from adventurers with seemingly no reward in turn, which does not speak highly of his leadership skills. He openly suggested donating monetary funds to the inn (Ma and Dem's Brewhouse) so that they may offer a weekly meal for everyone in the town, yet it seems clear to me Davenshire has more than enough resources to subsist without asking others. Mainly, their agriculture and ore mines, the only place on the island to find tumbaga ore.

Other than Greenleaf and regarding leadership, there is an organization going by the name of “Right-Sized Maidens and Knights”, open only to halflings, gnomes and dwarves. Attached to this report is a copy of a note I found at the Trade and Tackel, as well as a transcript from an advertisement available at Guzbee's shop. They lack any obvious base of operations, but as can be concluded from the note, the Brewhouse is their chosen meeting spot. The group is mainly composed of adventurers of different skills, though they all share common goals: protecting Davenshire and the island, and aiding folk. One Peter Highhill was enquired about them, and he made it clear most of them had moved on, although he was hopeful they would return eventually. He denied any kind of leadership among them, although he did affirm they are an influential group. More so, Highhill himself explained he tries to help out Mayor Greenleaf and the Lieutenant in their duties.
Highhill asked for a meeting with Khazark Sarleta some weeks ago. Our Red Wizard surveyors seemed to trouble him and he wished to ask which our plans were. I believe the Khazark already had word with him.

Along with the mayor, the Lieutenant seems to have some authority. He mentioned the town having some trouble with oversized stingers making their homes under the halfling soil. It is my opinion that if Thay were to help them out in this regard, our image would improve to some extent.

When talking with Peter Highhill, he seemed to be concerned about our plans. He thought us setting up a toll or trying to keep the road to ourselves would hurt an already strained (because they have been supplying the island with food) Davenshire. I denied such intentions, yet asked what the town's population thought about an expansion. He said he did not know, but that it is hard to forget the existance of slaves. This is all I could gather on this specific subject.

Resources, merchants, services
As mentioned above, much of Davenshire's wealth derives from its minerals, agriculture and naval commerce. On the latter, this explains the availability of expensive adventuring gear, which draws many to the town. I dare say their supplies rival items brought from glorious Thay and sold at the Enclave or Trading Post.
As for mines, they spawn gold and copper, together with an alloy of the two named tumbaga ore, used in the forging of armour and weapons. The haflings do not seem to mind random persons mining their supplies, to which I find no apparent explanation.
Finally, on agriculture, Davenshire focuses on some kind of weed used in smoking, together with fruit.

Several merchants reside in the town: Mya, a jeweler; Guzbee, a trader in adventuring equipment; a gnome, dealing in magical supplies (though he would not show me his or his assistant supplies); one Hantar Belial, seemingly a diviner of relative skill; a seamstress; the inn, which apart from selling what might be implied from the location, does deal in a few weapons; and Yona Greenleaf, presumably related to the mayor, who has supplies for musicians and bards available. A locksmith can be found, though he seems to spend his days drunk rather than working and amuses himself by telling stories to whomever walks under his roof. The caravans close to the entrance of the town sell pies, which are of high renown all around the island.
The traveling merchant Maribeth resupplies in Davenshire, from what I could gather.

Defenses
Despite what might be assumed from halflings and their personalities, their guard is well assembled and possesses some apparent knowledge of defensive tactics. The thick of the Davenshire guard is posted at the Ridgeshield near our Enclave, where they make use of the rises to station several crossbowmen. Along these, swordsmen patrol the area constantly and even the South Coast during the day, before the Greenvale elves take over at night.

Inside the village, swordsmen walk the roads, though their numbers are much lower than those in the Ridgeshield. I have not seen them in action, but I recognize some of their equipment and it is of good quality.

------

It is my hope this report will aid our leaders in their actions. Should there exist any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

End report

Ashan
Disgruntled, dishonest, dismissive.
Website
Ogreman007
01:30:32 PM 03/31/09
'Lupi made me do it

Registered Member #175
Amidst the returning reports of the auxillia, Dwent had an important if unscheduled meeting to attend. It so happened that the Esteemed Paydon approached he and Captain Mandar at the crossroads and both seemed intent on sharing a few words with one another. The meeting would bear news of varying subjects and consequence: some good news, some suprising news, some concerning news.

The good: Paydon agreed to lead the first assault against the duergar! Dwent would have to relay this information to Captain Rashand who was likely by now busily finalising every detail meticulously. Dwent knew that the presence of the powerful wizard would raise morale in the darkness of the duergar caverns.

The suprise: Since the moment Paydon had said he wished to speak with Dwent, the soldier had wondered what that might be about. He thoughtperhaps Paydon was going to punish him for the conversation they had engaged in not long ago. Or perhaps even apologise: that he soon doubted however. The true reason, was one he would never have guessed, and found it to be incredibly suprising.

[ image disabled ]

The Concern: Much to Dwent's suprise, the confrontation now came from another source. After Paydon had left the room to depart, Mandar clearly had a lot on his mind that he wanted to share.

[ image disabled ]

Altogether an interesting meeting, one which had aspects which Dwent was glad had been brought up. He would rather discuss and dispel feelings of frustration amongst his men than let them fester untold and unattended. He tried to reassure the Captain that the method of conduct he was taking currently was the fairest and most appropriate for everyone involved, though it was no easy task trying to convince Mandar of anything once his mind was set on an idea. He had made a few extra promises, if only small on the whole, and would seek to engage in the use of the mirrors as soon as possible, hoping Khazark Sarleta would be on the other side and able to receive all the new information since her departure.

~|~

[ image disabled ]
oblivioncalls
03:07:26 PM 03/31/09

Registered Member #155
Sitting at the desk in the lavish accomodations she had been provided for her stay in Thay, Sarleta reclined in the comfy chair. Her fingers brushed against the mirror she had brought with her and then set it upright on the desk, so she could see Dwent's face within what would normally be her reflection. Steepling her fingers beneath her chin, she smiles and nodded faintly.

"Go ahead, Major, I am listening." She gestured faintly with a hand, indicating her begin, as her words implied.

The first bit of news about Paydon, she considered and let him continue on. He reached the points about Captain Mandar and Marzac, and she lifted a hand for him to pause, pursing her lips a bit in thought.

"If the "esteemed" Paydon wishes to remain in a failing post, he may do so. Whatever profits that have been coming from there are so miniscule that they are barely worth mentioning. It has done nothing but provide a steady supply of gold to unscrupulous people whom I would prefer not doing business with, such as that blasted drow woman. We waste time and supplies on a locations that has become unnecessary, and I want those resources dedicated elsewhere for Thay, not for a pair of stubborn fools. There is no excuse for failing to do what they are told, so whatever explanation that Marzac could offer is hardly worth my time. If Captain Mandar sees no other way to peaceably remove Marzac from the premises, he may deal with him how he sees fit." There was a short pause while she considered her words, and then continued calmly.

"I have an audience with the Zulkirate tomorrow on the topic of the expansion, and to get their support on this matter. They will know the extent of the profit loss at the trading post, and can deal with Paydon at their discretion, but I will mention this. If he decides that his personal acheivement outweighs the good of Thay, then we need to have little else to do with him. Once Marzac and his stock is removed from the trading post, leave him to wallow like a hermit in his cave. If somehow he begins to see some kind of reason beyond the nose upon his face, he is more than welcome to join us in creating a stable and solid foundation for our culture on the island. But for now, he is being little more than a stubborn child who doesn't want to 'play the game' the other children are playing, so he can be content to sulk like a child in the corner. Now, please, continue."

The gnomes were brought up, and she nods, then shakes her head. Once Dwent was done explaining, she spoke up.

"Honestly, it's about time they got themselves on track. I -do- need that blood for scribing components, Major. So please see to it that you acquire that for me. I will compensate you for what you spend to get it. After that, I suggest we do not use them for anything else unless it is absolutely necessary. Paperwork or not, I find them too disorganized to be trusted with anything important. If that will be all, Major? I trust your judgement and ability to see that this gets done, and I appreciate your suggestions, but I refuse to play games with stubborn little boys too worried about their toys to consider the larger picture. Have a good evening, Major. I should get some rest so I am fully prepared for my meeting tomorrow." With that, she turned the mirror face down on the desk after Dwent bid her good evening, and then retired to her bed. She had faith that they would get this done, and as long as they faced no further obstacles larger than what they faced now, it wouldn't be too much trouble.

[ Edited 08:44:56 PM 03/31/09 ]

[ image disabled ]
Ogreman007
04:01:14 PM 03/31/09
'Lupi made me do it

Registered Member #175
Watching the vision of the Khazark disappear, Dwent returned the silken cloth to its position over the top of the mirror. His face held a small smile now she had gone: partly due to her expression of faith in his abilities. Though in truth, it was mostly to do with some other words she spoke: a sentance he had heard her say before that implied more in meaning than one might think initially.

"... he may deal with him how he sees fit."

'How you see fit', was essentially the code spoken by Sarleta which meant little more than 'do what you wish, you have my authority to use whatever methods necessary'. Why she would speak in such hidden contexts he didn't know: perhaps as a fail-safe should things go awry later along the line.
In any case, it meant that Marzac would soon be relieved of his duty in the Trading Post, one way or another. Perhaps it would take a blow to the head to knock the sense into him he so clearly needed, to follow orders from his Khazark. Perhaps it would knock the nonesense out at the same time. Such was yet to be seen.

In the morning Dwent would scribe the note to Mandar that would authorise him to use whatever methods required to... encourage Marzac to move south. Dwent's only hope was that Paydon would not be around to witness such because surely he would protest, and may even act in a manner which would escalate this matter beyond something Dwent would be happy to have to report on...

~|~

[ image disabled ]
Ogreman007
04:11:42 PM 03/31/09
'Lupi made me do it

Registered Member #175
The following letter is left addressed to Captain Mandar in the Priate Quarters in the Enclave.
Captain Mandar.

The Khazark has authorised your request to bring Esteemed Marzac out of the Trading Post, by force if neccessary. Of course he should not be harmed, where possible, in order to acheive this result. Before you attempt anything, be sure to give him one final chance to go peaceably. It is imperative he understands the consequences for a single failure more, to uphold Khazark Sarleta's order.

If you wish assistance then I can be present.

Regards,

~Major D. Chambers, acting Overseer of Thayan Operations.

~|~

[ image disabled ]
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top