| Home | FAQ | Forum | News |

Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Payne
04:14:14 PM 02/27/20
The anti has been raised!

-Clickedy-

DavidtheGreat
03:57:55 PM 02/27/20
Felicity would pay 400k If someone pulled that off. Just sayin'.

archgrendel
03:13:30 PM 02/27/20
.. damn, tips must be good at the Tin Tankard. where do I apply ?

Payne
02:43:42 PM 02/27/20
....payment from Felicity. Apparently she has the most money, other than Lianna...

Payne
02:32:08 PM 02/27/20
Tin Tankard will sponsor the event, 100k to whomever kills Kallista and throws her into Blackrock Prison.

Must be a prisoner to collect, no fake kills.

Shade
02:03:34 PM 02/27/20
That's just cruel!

Evendithus
12:46:29 PM 02/27/20
I predict explosions

Corlupi
11:27:38 AM 02/27/20
06.00!
It's a very early GMT morning.

Glognar
11:02:27 AM 02/27/20
Oh... yea.. 18 hours and the fact that it says 06:00 GMT+1 in the post. Didn't notice that untill you asked now. I'd say it's a morrning session for us GMTers. A shame I have to get to work.

Shade
10:13:53 AM 02/27/20
Wait, is that 6 as in 06:00 or 18:00?

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: Thain :: In Character Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Notebook of a Magical Crafter
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: The Site Master, Squidget, Bonesly, Cuchuwyn, Just Miggen, jewwe, scratch_flannigan, Warlord Kro, Oberon, ChaoticDrow, Alanonas
Author Post
C_McG
02:38:13 PM 06/05/08
*lurks from behind the screen*

Registered Member #682
After putting up my fliers for my services, I traveled to Cobblewall to speek with Master Faran today about renting the space formally known as the “Magic Cube”.

He declined my request and offer. Said something about the former tenant being involved in slavery and not wanting to risk it again. I assured him that I am not into such things, but I couldn’t persuade him.

Oh well, guess I will have to keep looking, maybe Hamley or Feywood might welcome a new store.

A simple store front is all I seek, but it seems that it will be more difficult than I thought. Maybe it is the idea of selling magic that worries people? No, there are several stores that already sell magical goods. It must just be something else.

Chracters:
Biado Velen - Maskless One
Bigo Rockherder - Rock herding is much better than dirt farming
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Roxy Blake - Knight more erring than errant
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
C_McG
02:39:28 PM 06/05/08

Registered Member #682

Had an interesting conversation with Galia today.

Seems she wishes to create a vortex via magic that can be contained. The idea being that it could then be somehow affixed to the end of a staff and be stable.

We postulated that maybe a gem of magical origin could be used in such an endeavor. Possibly a Celestial Crystal or a shard of a Rift Stone (as dangerous as that may be). The idea being that the magic inherent to the stone conflicting with the magic imbued into such a stone causing them to react in such a way as create a small vortex.

Two issues:
1. Would the magic dissipate over time?
2. Would the vortex be stable and containable?

A curious proposition and one that must be looked into.

Chracters:
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
C_McG
02:43:53 PM 06/05/08

Registered Member #682

Wands.

These are useful items for a mage such as myself. The problem is the ability to imbue them with spells from the higher circles. I have found the use of simple bone allows the creation of wands that can contain a spell from the fourth circle or lower and not even all of them can be imbued into the wand.

However, if I use the proper ink and parchment, I can write the runes and motions necessary to cast a spell of the nine circles. Is this purely due to the fact that I am giving instructions as to how to access the weave? Is that the difference with the wand, it must be imbued with the weave? But even gems, properly attuned or even some others of fine quality, can be imbued with spells of the fifth circle, what is the difference, quality of material?

On that note, maybe finding finer materials to use in the creation of wands is in order. Pure and fine ivory? The bones of magical creatures, such as dragon? Maybe if one were to use a combination of items?

Hmm, maybe. There may even be a convergence created with certain elements. A curious idea. This is worthy of investigation.

Some ideas:
1. Basilisk scale – Earth and stone?
2. Bodak tooth – magics of death and necromancy?
3. Slaadi tongue – conjuration of those from other planes?

Must find some of these items and test the results. May need to come up with a way to make a reagent of the secondary ingredient.

Chracters:
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
C_McG
02:44:38 PM 06/05/08

Registered Member #682

Gems.

The wonders of gems. Not only are they marvelous to look at, but it seems they hold a power that one can find and release if they look close enough.

It appears that someone has found a way to attune gems to the weave. These stones are amazing uses of magic. I do not know if one uses the weave, other magics or skill to create these gems, but their usefulness cannot be denied.

The ability to contain a spell that can be activated by anyone at a later time is both an amazing use and an unknown danger. What if someone unknowingly activates one of these gems and an unexpected spell is released? What could be the consequences?

On a side note, I have discovered that if one can find a gem of high quality, the need for attunement to the weave is reduced and one can imbue the gem with a spell.

One thing I have noticed, it seems that whether attuned or not, gems are only capable of containing spells from up to the fifth circle. Are there gems of high enough quality to hold spells from the higher circles? Maybe this is not such a bad thing, see note above.

Still, I wonder if it is possible to find such a gem.

Chracters:
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
C_McG
03:53:08 PM 06/05/08

Registered Member #682

I have finally made my way down to find Celestial Crystals. I would much rather attempt to use these than the Rift Stones. The evilness that permeates the Rift Stones is not something I want to risk corruption from.

Now to find a way to possibly use these, I have 3, that’s 3 attempts without needing to return to those caves. Now I wonder what to try first.

I think the first thing is to try and discover the origin of any magic or portion of the weave that may possibly be contained within the crystal. From there, hopefully, I can try to imbue a spell that works against the magic. Theoretically it may work, or it may just resist any spell form. What to try next if that is the case?

Chracters:
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
C_McG
03:53:54 PM 06/05/08

Registered Member #682
Just returned from Feywood, the council seemed resistant to an “outsider” opening or operating a store within their confines. They said that because of my previous endeavors to help them, they would take it into consideration, but not to count on anything.

Unless I hear otherwise, I think it best to not hope for too much from the stronghold. I will wait a couple days then journey to Hamley and try my luck there.

Chracters:
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
C_McG
03:54:47 PM 06/05/08

Registered Member #682

A curious request from a new customer came my way today. A Master Aargyle requested gem imbued with a spell that will renew its energy over time, maybe one day’s time. This is definitely worthwhile to look into. The ability to have such an item and get more that one use, the possibilities! I am sure customers will be much more willing to purchase such an item than the usual gems.

A thought on this, I wonder if I may need to create such an item in a similar fashion as the creation of a small vortex. Maybe this will be an intermediate step on the way to unlocking the puzzle of the vortex. Puzzles! So many to solve, must get started.

Chracters:
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
C_McG
03:55:59 PM 06/05/08

Registered Member #682

A curious thought passed through my mind while working with a wand this morning. If a secondary object or a reagent made from it can enhance wands, could it, the object or reagent, be used to create weapons or armor with similar magic? Imagine armor enhanced to prevent harm to the wearer, or call an ally to your side to help in the heat of battle.

I know such enchantments can be created, they are seen in stores on the island. The question is, how is it done or is it possible to do after the forging of such an item. Maybe it must be done during the forging process. Maybe a trip to Hammersong to speak with the forge-master is needed. Even if there is no other reason than to see the art of metal work from a master.

Chracters:
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
C_McG
03:58:43 PM 06/05/08

Registered Member #682

I have been unable to discern a method to imbue magic into a Celestial Crystal. I even went so far as to use a potent spell from the seventh circle that can cause a person to die, thinking I could get no more opposite to the idea of celestial magic than that. It was a moment of frustration that caused me to use such a spell and my efforts were rewarded with the destruction of the crystal.

Now I have none left so I must return to the deep caves where I originally found them. A set back, yes, but at least I learned something; there is yet another reason to not use such spells.

I shall seek Galia and see if she has learned anything new since our last discussion on the subject.

Chracters:
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
C_McG
05:01:10 PM 06/05/08

Registered Member #682

I believe I have a nice assortment of items to test for the possible enhancement of wands and other magical items. Some basilisk scales, slaadi tongues, the dust of a fey and a few bodak teeth.

Not wanting to repeat the mistake of the Celestial Crystals, I will work with one of each of the items and try to determine if there is a synergy with any of the elements or schools of magic. At this point I will then follow up the tests by seeing if they can in fact affect the magic held in a standard wand.

The first method will be to see if by bringing a wand of said element/school and the testing item together, such as a wand of stoneskin and basilisk scale (if it even reacts to the magics of stone) and see if just the presence enhances the wand. Possible effects? Longer duration of spell, more potent?

Depending on the outcome of these tests, I will have to work out the new experiments to follow. I hope something will come out of these rudimentary tests. Time will tell.

Chracters:
Soghedrin - Web Slinger
Chirrok Kurd - Pugilist
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top