Welcome
Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

• MarinkaKSquic
    MarinkaKSquic  4 hours ago

Pemerintah Indonesia telah fokus pada pembangunan infrastruktur untuk mendukung pertumbuhan ekonomi. Proyek-proyek besar seperti pembangunan jalan tol, bandara, pelabuhan, dan kereta api terus ditingkatkan. Infrastruktur yang baik tidak hanya memperlancar distribusi barang dan jasa, tetapi juga menarik investasi asing ke dalam negeri..
    Home

copytrade bond paper 82cd7a7

• Maintenance
    Maintenance  23 hours ago

dodge

• Shards
    Shards  4 months ago

Happy New Year!

• Edrick
    Edrick  4 months ago

Happy New Year all!

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  6 months ago

You the man thanks mate

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  6 months ago

There it is!

• Cuchuwyn
    Cuchuwyn  6 months ago

-Clickedy-

• EcoTec
    EcoTec  6 months ago

Anyone have the thain discord link, thankyou

• Payne
    Payne  6 months ago

Edrick... mad

• Edrick
    Edrick  6 months ago

Payne

Forums
The Island of Thain :: Forums :: In Character Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Plans of Expansion

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Ogreman007
4:21:29 pm GMT 08/31/07
Ogreman007 'Lupi made me do it
Registered Member #175 Joined: 5:49:41 pm GMT 07/23/04
"It is imperative upon arriving to first establish an area where you can solidify defenses quickly and effectively, preferably an area with good defensible properties which does not sacrifice access for reinforcements and supplies."
There it was again. In the distance, the sound of the sea, rolling against the shores past the next line of trees.
"This should become a place of organisation and efficiency, the central bud from which the future expansion will spread from. But growth should be neither hurried nor forced, it needs time enough to be done safely and effectively: careful consideration needs to be given."
It had been a good journey, though invisiblity has its obvious advantages, offering relative safety for the master whilst the minion played with the creatures of the road. But now, the approaching objective, soon to be scrutinised once more.
"Uncontrolled epansion will expose delicate flanks to those looking to exploit them."
Dawn was just about to break when they finally arrived, on the dirt-track leading to the run-down buildings: empty shells of their former selves, still standing but now derelict. Long abandoned but not forgotten. [ 175_approaching.jpg ]
Ogreman007
5:13:29 pm GMT 08/31/07
The small post on the southern coast was a strange sight to behold. Scattered remnants of occupation litter the grass, not least of which bedrolls – now discoloured with moss and age – but reminders that this deserted post once held men and women. It served as protection for those passing by, from the dangers that lurk so near to the road. But with the recalling of all Blood guard forces to the central areas of the island, those stationed here vanished almost instantly, never to return. The last of the mist passed through the area, the rest having been pierced by the morning sun, and with the possibility of sea sounds covering a soft-footed bandit the minion stood vigilant watch of the approaching road whilst the master surveyed the post. [ 175_fort.jpg ]
Ogreman007
5:21:21 pm GMT 08/31/07
With the preliminary observations complete came the burning question: Would it be possible to rebuild? The area was not completely unusable afterall, and there were the fundamental foundations to reconstruct. It seemed all that would be needed would be time, money and labour. The latter two were not a problem for the Grand Nation of Thay, nor her representatives of the Island. Business now picking up once more from new productions imported directly from Thay meant more coins filling the coffers, and labour – too dangerous to have slaves working unsupervised but the guards were no fools. A mere shuffling of shift hours would free up men and women to rebuilt, protect, transport and eventually even garrison the post. The only luxury which was not in grand supply, as so often, was time. It would be imprudent to think that others had not laid eyes on the prize that is the outpost, and when decisions are finally made action would need to be swift, work efficient. Before leaving the outpost to return to the Enclave, Major Chambers had a reminder of the violence prominent in this region: more to consider in the overall balance of benefit from rebuilding here. . . [ 175_fang_attack.jpg ]
Ogreman007
10:10:15 pm GMT 09/02/07
I fear that negotiations may prove to be fruitless. Fear is likely the only option for protection
The Razorfang bandits had long been a thorn in the side of many a traveller who wished to make their way along the road of the southern coastline. The Blood Guard offered safety for only the beginning of the stretch of road, and it was not unheard of for attacks to happen further along it. Even as they made their way to the cave, Major Chambers and Governor Gharos encountered stiff resistance, and the remains of presumably two unlucky folk: purses containing paltry sums of gold. They came with the intentions of bringing death to the Razorfangs: a measure of showing them the power of Thay. Should attacks on any rebuilt outpost continue, all that will come of it would be more of their deaths. Gharos gifted Dwent with the eyes to see all, and they carefully made their way inside, slaying any who stood in their way, until they reached the gate to the chief’s chambers. The leader should be in his quarters. I need him as intact as possible, so try not to hit him. Do you have something to hold him? I do. *nods* Opening the gate they passed inside, and sure enough, Gharos conjured a giant hand which knocked the chief down in a daze, while Dwent took care of those guarding him. He then stood vigilant guard while Gharos got to work. [ 175_leaving_a_warning.jpg ]
Ogreman007
11:19:09 pm GMT 09/02/07
Pausing beside the still-incapacitated thug, Gharos reconsidered his plans.

On second thought, I do not think I can bear the screams if we do this when he is alive… cut his throat, cleanly if possible.
*steps behind to slit the throat as best he can with a burning sword*
*keeps heating the seal up* And if you could roll him over?
*checks the corridor before obediently grabbing the torso and rolling the body onto it’s back*

Gharos then squatted carefully beside the body pressing the red-hot seal against the flesh of the corpse’s bare chest, keeping his head turned as far away as possible. A harsh hissing started to become audible after a moment’s contact, and releasing the pressure revealed a burnt-in image of the eight spheres of magic: the emblem of Thay. Returning the seal to a pouch Gharos spoke:

That.. *cough* ..should serve as effective intimidation… or goad them into attacking the Enclave. That would teach them the ultimate lesson.
*admires the work a moment* In any case I think we are done here.
We are.

They left the body beside the bed, an example to any who cross Thay, and hopefully a deterrent for the future.
vancello
5:10:34 pm GMT 09/05/07
vancello Registered Member #839 Joined: 4:02:06 pm GMT 08/23/06
The following report is printed in neat orderly script on a perfectly folded piece of paper and placed within an enchanted envelope to be delivered to Major Dwent Chambers.
Report No. 00139 Name: Zayyid Rashand Rank: Commander of Squadron E, Thayan Mercenary Guard Force, Thain Subject: Fortification of the abandoned guard post along the road leading north from the Thayan enclave. I have lead four expeditions to secure and rebuild the guard post along the southern road that was abandoned by the Bloodguard long ago. This directive was cleared by the esteemed Khazark himself who accompanied us on two of these missions. Given that the soldiers of my squadron were busy with other duties, I was forced to hire some of the local mercenary barbarians for the price of 500 gold pieces for two days and two nights of service. To my surprise, many even volunteered to serve in this duty without payment. With a few exceptions, most served adequately and loyally once the coin was in their purse. The goal of these expeditions were twofold. By day, when the savage land seemed to grow quiet, I put my servants to work clearing the debris that had gathered around the abandoned post as well as gathering much of the rubble from the fallen tower in the hopes that it can be reused by a hired mason in the future to minimize costs. The rubble has been stacked by the tower. The guard post as a whole, though still quite decrepit, is at least a little more orderly thanks to our efforts. By night, I sent scouts into the surrounding area and, once enemies had been found, we set out to destroy them. In many cases, we plunged deep within the surrounding caves to root out the source of these beasts that threaten supply shipments between the Thayan enclave port and the Outpost in Raven's Watch. No fatalities or other costs were incurred. Though I have been on leave for the past four monthes pursuing studies at the behest of Master Paydon and other esteemed wizards, I have now returned to active duty and, until ordered to do otherwise, will continue these mercenary expeditions to secure the guard post for the prosperity and glory of Thay in this barbarous land.
[Edit: Zayyid the commander of Squadron C?! In his dreams!] [ Edited 06:34:02 PM 09/06/07 ]
vancello
3:03:43 pm GMT 09/16/07
Zayyid took it as a personal insult every time he passed the newly stationed guards of black and red along the southern road. After all of his painstaking work to make this a half-way respectable place to set up a protective watch (being forced to work with hired barbarians no less!) he had been ordered to cease all operations and patrols of the area until the threat of the dragon of the sea was dealt with, only to see that operations continue without his leadership and guidance! Perhaps his close workings with the wizards of the enclave of late had deluded him into thinking he may be informed of the plans of the operation he had originally suggested to the Khazark himself. It was a mistake of hubris that Zayyid would not make again. Yet, if the murmuring rumours of dissent amongst the barbarian population were true, this initial foray into expansion may not last should the barbarians organize in sufficient fashion to oppose the Thayan guards. This operation needed a leader on the ground and, though he must tread carefully the line between obedience and insubordination, Zayyid was not about to relenquish his dreams of marching at the forefront of the next great expansionary effort. This letter must be written with great tact...
Major Chambers, In my travels to and from the enclave I have noticed regular patrols of Thayan guards at the post along the southern road, the post that I have been hiring mercenary barbarians to secure and refurbish until our regrettable encounter with the dragon of the sea (whose violent activities are rumoured to have calmed significantly, I should report). I wish to inform you that I, as well as others of my squadron, have heard much inane gossip amongst the barbarian locals on issues pertaining to our operations on the south coast. Most such comments are invariably ill-informed and opposed to our presence there, though I have not heard any news of an organized resistance. With the completion of our most recent mission, know that the soldiers of my squadron and myself stand ready for new orders. I know that I have been strictly ordered not to continue operations along the south coast, however, I request permission to at least share with the guards stationed there the detailed knowledge of the area I have gained through the many patrols I lead to originally secure the area. Though I do not know the soldiers who have been stationed there, I trust they have been fully briefed and trained on how to diplomatically deal with the barbarian hordes should our presence face resistance. Yours in service until death takes me, Zayyid Rashand
The letter is placed into the standard issue enchanted envelope given to all officers for such communications and left for Major Dwent Chambers in the Thayan enclave. [ image disabled ] [ 839_zayyid_letter.jpg ]
Ogreman007
4:18:37 pm GMT 09/16/07
Whilst sitting at his desk reviewing the weekly reports, a slave approached the Major clutching a letter in his dirty hands, Unsure whether to speak or wait until he was noticed, the slave took a few steps forwards.

"What is it?"

The slave held the letter high and his head low. Taking it with no acknowledgement to the slave, Dwent broke the seal of the envelope, waving a hand at the slave in dismissal.

Laying the letter down he searched for some parchment to write a quick reply and turned his head towards the slave.

"Wait. Come back here."

Squad Leader Zayyid.

Due you the combination of a number of reports that the dragon has not been seen for some time now, it was authorised to station a small group at the post. This is a two-part plan. Firstly it is the first step towards stationing a permanent force. Secondly it is a matter of insurance. If others station guard before we did, we would have lost it unless we took it by force. This would of course have lead to many difficulties. It is my hope that, though there are reports of people questioning the guards there, nobody would dare try to remove them by force. I hope to soon have our occupation permanent.

I will authorise you to continue your work at the post. It would be good for those guards stationed there to see they are not forgotten about so far from 'home'. I would ask however that you do not hire anymore help from the locals. If you are questioned on your work, then tell them that you are making use of something that nobody had interest in. Tell them that by stationing guards there we are increasing security, not cutting off trade or whatever other rumours there are. I will seek to meet with a representative of the Shire's forces soon. I wish to notify know what they think is going on and to set them straight.

Take Khalina with you to help you with the reconstruction efforts. You mentioned previously about finding a mason - such will be required indeed but not for the time being. We are able to put together wooden structures, as we did with the Enclave, under the correct supervision. I'd not like to hire a local for this task if possible.

Any questions or concerns, please notify me / find me immediately.

Regards,

Major Chambers.

Sealing the letter in a similar envelope to the one his arrived in, he handed it to the slave.
"Take this to Squad Leader Zayyid, of Squadron E. He will likely be in the barracks, if not on watch."
vancello
9:36:11 pm GMT 09/16/07
Zayyid snatches the missive from the slave without even looking at him. As he reads the letter over, his gauntleted hand instinctively moves to his mouth which still stung from the light punishment administered to him by the Major himself; a lingering reminder of the importance of not disappointing the governor.

"Now that's more like it," Zayyid says to himself under his breath as he finishes reading the note. Folding the letter up and placing it safely in his pack Zayyid turns to the officer to his right.

"Inform the others of Squadron E, Private Khalina: they are to remain on duty here while you and I travel to the abandoned post on the south coast. We march at first light tomorrow."
vancello
10:07:28 pm GMT 10/01/07
Following all the rules and protocols for such reports, Zayyid leaves the following notice for Dwent Chambers.

Report No. 00193

Name: Zayyid Rashand
Rank: Commander of Squadron E, Thayan Mercenary Guard Force, Thain

Subject: Sighting of unknown creature in the Moribund Bog

On my way to take up command of the forces at the outpost along the southern road, I ventured off the road in the Moribund bog to continue my observations and studies under Master Paydon and Mistress Rathiya. After engaging and defeating two fascinating and powerful undead creatures, I found myself completely paralyzed, unable to move. Before me was the most bizarre and horrific thing I have ever faced in my service to Thay.

It was a roughly spherical mound of flesh sporting a gaping maw of razor sharp teeth and a giant, unblinking eye set right in the middle. Atop this mound were several stalks that swayed and rotated about, each with a single smaller eye mounted on top.

The next thing I remember is a flash of light, then waking up in one of the many fetid pools of that bog, alone except for a solitary bird that flew off into the night. My physical state was extremely weak and so I retreated to the Thayan enclave where I ordered the available soldiers of my squadron to double the guard at the gate in case the creature followed me back.

Though the entire incident seemed completely real to me, I will not rule out some hallucinatory poisoning from one of the walking dead that I battled. I might be more inclined to believe such an explanation were it not for the two perfectly spherical wounds that were found at the base of my neck by those who tended to my wounds. Such wounds were most definitely not caused by the undead I fought prior to the sighting.

I write you this report in case such information changes how you wish to continue to deploy forces to the southern outpost.
1 2 

Moderator(s): TheSiteMaster, Kira, Wicked_Keen, Bonesly, jewwe, Warlord Kro, Corlupi, Cuchuwyn, Alanonas, Oberon, Forgiver

Go to:

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board
  • Guests: 32
  • Members: 1
  • Newest Member: MarinkaKSquic
  • Most ever online: 230
    Guests: 230, Members: 0 on Wednesday 11 January 2023 - 05:41:16
Now Playing
(Empty)

Connect to us with 104.237.156.142 or thain.no-ip.org